• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What videogame franchise has the best music?

soldat7

Nert said:
As some other people in the thread have mentioned standalone games, I might as well bring up Okami.

Okami_Logo.gif

*High-five*

Also Shadow of the Colossus and Halo. These games stand apart.

Mega Man, Street Fighter, Mario (including Kart), Old Sonic, and Zelda.

And the most underrated music of all is probably Kirby.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The Chrono franchise, by far. Each entry could claim to have the best soundtrack ever, so once you combine the two, well holy shit.

Raging Spaniard said:
The Chrono franchise, by far. Each entry could claim to have the best soundtrack ever, so once you combine the two, well holy shit.

Can two games really be considered a 'franchise'? :/

edit: I guess so. A few people in this thread have listed 'Chrono'...

mmxzero

Too many series with great music. Megaman(X), Castlevania, Metroid, Sonic, Zelda, Mario, the list just goes on...

bthatche said:
Streets of Rage!

Because of the SoR2 thread yesterday, I've had Go Straight stuck in my head for the last 24 hours :lol

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Smash Brothers.

It has remixes, so that TOTALLY COUNTS.

Okay so I'm cheating a bit.

Chrono Trigger/Cross
Final Fantasy
Metroid
Mario
Zelda

Sutanreyu

Sonic, hands down.

Next is probably Mega Man.

Then Castlevania.

Zelda is up there, same with Metal Gear.

I can't think of too many memorable western games with great soundtracks... Half-Life 2, probably.

Halo's main score is pretty nice.

TUSR

Banned
Mario and by proxy Smash Bros.

If you have listened to SMG sound track, it blows everything out of the water.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Almost anything that's put up by Square

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah, this is entirely a matter of taste. For me, I'd have to say

-Earthbound/Mother series
-Zelda series
-Metal Gear Solid series
-Halo series

Those are the ones that stick out in my head right now. There's a lot of great game music though, that I don't think it all could be contained in one thread.

Dizzy-4U

Eiji said:
Toshinden 1 & 2
Excellent picks. I used to listen to Ellis and Duke's songs like mad crazy back then. I still have the Toshinden disc somewhere. Gonna look for it.

I'd give Eretzvaju a nod, but it's not a series :/

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just remembered Psychic Force 1 & 2. Those game have pretty damn good music too.

ultron87

Even though the opening theme from Chrono Cross is the best single track in gaming, I got to give the best series award to Persona (3 + 4). So much amazing music in there, and so different from most other game scores.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
How come no one has mentioned Phantasy St.....

Ganondorfo said:
I find it weird that nobody mentionned devil may cry, resident evil, mortal kombat, grandia, suikoden and phantasy star...

Oh very good :D

Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Kingdom Hearts (the only thing I like about this series apart from Disney of course)
Halo

Can't really list Chrono or Secret of Mana now can I?

andymcc

Banned
did it really take four pages to even mention Panzer Dragoon?

My favorites:
Ys
Panzer Dragoon
Castlevania
Mega Man
Sonic the Hedgehog
Gradius
Streets of Rage
Thunderforce

i could go on...

Kimosabae

Banned
Marty O' Donnell's Halo soundtracks are the best examples of art this industry has, IMO, and is the only element of that series that has maintained a consistently elevated level of quality.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Night_Trekker said:
The correct answer is Castlevania. No other series has delivered great music so consistently for so long.

Every main Mario game has delivered the goods, even Sunshine and 2 USA.

Gotta be Castlevania. The games change, the composers change, the musical styles change, but one thing is always true - the music is fucking great.

Honorable mentions to Dragon Quest, Mario, Zelda, Halo, and the Team ICO games.

Wow...I can't believe I had to go to page 3 before somebody mentioned Wipeout!
You people are nuts, Wipeout changed the whole industry with it's attitude towards in-game music, it was total game charger.

Oh, my vote goes to;

Wipeout

Top Bottom