• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What videogame franchise has the best music?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ganondorfo said:
I love the music of zelda a link to the past, ocarina of time and majoras mask and links awakining. I didnt like the music of the other games...
Wind Waker. :(

Guardian Bob said:
Zelda. For Wind Waker alone.

Also, Guild Wars.

Wind Waker? Really? Of all the game in the Zelda franchise, to choose Wind Waker...

Anyway, if we're going by quality alone, then it goes to the greatest game soundtrack of all time (Chrono Cross) which combined with the ridiculously good Chrono Trigger wins this battle.

In terms of quantity of quality though...probably Final Fantasy.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Ganondorfo said:
I didnt like the music of psp versions, they werent as amazing as metal gear solid 1-3, probably not done by harry gregson williams...

HGW has scored for MGS2, 3 and 4. And while he didn't make all the music for each game, I think his contribution in the series is bringing the "Hollywood style" and bending it with electronic tunes and such, which became pretty much the standard since MGS2.

Ganondorfo

_Alkaline_ said:
Wind Waker? Really? Of all the game in the Zelda franchise, to choose Wind Waker...

Anyway, if we're going by quality alone, then it goes to the greatest game soundtrack of all time (Chrono Cross) which combined with the ridiculously good Chrono Trigger wins this battle.

In terms of quantity of quality though...probably Final Fantasy.

Ys is another one, the composers really gave everything to that franchise.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The Mother Series. The tracks are varied in style, and evoke the entire spectrum of emotions.

Solune

Ganondorfo said:
I mentionned final fantasy also on my list, but still I dont like music of final fantasy 12 (beside some tunes from the 100 tracks on the soundtrack). Hitoshi sakimoto doesnt make memorable music for the franchise as uematsu and hamauza. (his vagrant story and tactics work is outstanding though).

Uhh this doesn't make any sense. By the same principle you should put Zelda on your list, they have awesome soundtracks despite you "not liking them". Nice contradiction though.

Anyways other games with good soundtracks.

Lufia - This franchise just has amazing tracks in general, particularly the battle themes.
Golden Sun - Arguably some of the best of Sakuraba's work, especially the battle themes.
Shenmue - Has some of the most amazing music in video game history. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to play them but I have listened to the soundtracks and they are phenomenal.

Alot of good choices so far. Especially Valkyrie Profile :D

Ganondorfo

I never listened to dragon quest music (Ok I played dragon quest 4 and 8), but their music sounds always the same to me, maybe I didnt pay attention enough.

1097043-jet_set_radio.ashx_large.jpeg

jet+set+radio+future.jpg

fa5b34423ea4937f3bab3e147f79e0df20090601151322.jpg

Ollie King isn't part of the Jet Set Radio franchise, but the music in all three games is done by Hideki Naganuma, and Ollie King even has some remixes of JSRF tracks, so I'd say it counts here.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Ben2749 said:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/29867/1097043-jet_set_radio.ashx_large.jpeg[IMG]

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FgcWICuiHgM/SveQ_JzGXJI/AAAAAAAAAXE/UWaffYJj_Gk/s320/jet+set+radio+future.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.gamekyo.com/images_1/fa5b34423ea4937f3bab3e147f79e0df20090601151322.jpg[IMG]

Ollie King isn't part of the Jet Set Radio franchise, but the music in all three games is done by Hideki Naganuma, and Ollie King even has some remixes of JSRF tracks, so I'd say it counts here.[/QUOTE]
I WAS SUPPOSED TO POST THIS

fuuuuuuuuuuck

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Castlevania probably has the most consistently good music. From the very first game to the recently released Lords of Shadow, they have had exceptional soundtracks. It's as if like the franchise has a requirement for great music. The older Castlevania games have great memorable music and the latest installment gives me chills up my spine.

Physalis

Neo Member
Would Shadow of the Colossus count (at least it's a 'spiritual successor' to ICO)? I've never been more pumped listening to music than I have in that game.

Overall, I would say Silent Hill, Final Fantasy (particularly VIII), and the Chrono series have fantastic music.

Ganondorfo

I find it weird that nobody mentionned devil may cry, resident evil, mortal kombat, grandia, suikoden and phantasy star...

Himuro said:
Lack of Shenmue makes this the worst thread ever.

Seriously, you and I are the only ones who mentioned Shenmue : (

It actually annoys me that no one even at least acknowledges it......

I mean can someone please tell me that this is incredible? Please!!!

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The Legendary Hero was amazing, as was Dragon Roost Island.

A few great songs do not a great soundtrack make. WW's best four or five songs are amazing, but it lacks the consistency of other Zelda games.

sublimit

Banned
Breath of Fire
Onimusha
Ar Tonelico
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Ys
Yakuza
Shenmue
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy