• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Boney

Banned
Haha this is honestly the first time I pick up the gc controller in months, glad I can still hold my own

Ike was a beast, same with Falco and Samus. So fun, need to keep playing this game from time to time

Play romance Boney, go for it
You totally should! We're losing all the life blood in this thread!

Also, hitting that counter at the end with the up smash was teeeeerrible

Hmm sorry, maybe I'm going crazy but I didn't see a link in the second page

Should I wire my connection?

Hell yes you should! Here are two methods to improve your connection:

1) Wiring your Wii U through an Ethernet adapter is the best option. A wireless connection will never stack up to a wired one. Here is a link to a cheap adapter that many players here use, and it works wonderfully:

http://tinyurl.com/qej8w74

2) If your modem is far away from your Wii U, you can try a Powerline Interner Adapter. These work by channeling your internet connection through an electrical socket. I do not use one personally, but several GAF members have praised their efficacy. Here is a list of options; if a GAF member wants to weigh in on the various levels of quality present here, I am glad to recommend one over the others:

http://tinyurl.com/n7xsckk

TWILT

Banned
GGs Nami. Fun matches as always; was kinda bumpy at times in terms of lag but at least it was a lot better than the other day. Your Yoshi's fierce as always, and your Luigi/DK gave me the quite amount of trouble.

Zero Suit's pretty dang fun now that I'm messing around with her more. Disappointed that I didn't win one match with her, buuuut slowly steady I suppose.

GGs Nami. Fun matches as always; was kinda bumpy at times in terms of lag but at least it was a lot better than the other day. Your Yoshi's fierce as always, and your Luigi/DK gave me the quite amount of trouble.

Zero Suit's pretty dang fun now that I'm messing around with her more. Disappointed that I didn't win one match with her, buuuut slowly steady I suppose.

Good games. Yeah, the random lag spikes were detrimental for both of us at certain times. Still a lot better than the last time.

You say the same thing about my characters every time! I am waiting for the day you say I am fiercer than usual, or my play seems to be off.

Your Zero Suit is decent. You go for grab a lot, and I wasn't usually close enough to punish, or punish hard, but it is still a bad habit that you should work on. I hope you continue to play her, as we need a ZSS in this thread.

Thanks for the games!

Boney

Banned
Shout outs to encountering gaffers in FG

If ya want we can make a private room

Ouch, connection is garbage, what the hell :(

Also stupid back air that gimps for free

TWILT

Banned
Shout outs to encountering gaffers in FG

If ya want we can make a private room

I was just gonna test some stuff in FG real quick and then play Mario Maker. Lag's getting kinda really bad too, sooo maybe just 1 or two more matches?

EDIT: Good games, man!

Boney

Banned
I was just gonna test some stuff in FG real quick and then play Mario Maker. Lag's getting kinda really bad too, sooo maybe just 1 or two more matches?
Sure! Have fun with your Mario maker

Alright, good games, shame about the lag.

Flux, I can play for a tiny bit if you want

Beats

New stage looks cool. Good representation of what Mario Maker is about. Wonder what the Omega version will look like. Hopefully the tileset changes there too.

New stage looks cool. Good representation of what Mario Maker is about. Wonder what the Omega version will look like. Hopefully the tileset changes there too.

Imagine if even THAT was random and it changed everytime. Floating platform omega, wall omega, those walls Kalos has Omega, grass omega, half grass omega...

FluxWaveZ

Alright, that's if for me flux, gg's!! You're pretty good you know that?

GGs! You were getting better as the matches went on, so I had to adjust a bit and become more aggressive. WFT's down smash is pretty good for negating pretty much all of Samus' aerials and hitting her.

Boney

Banned
GGs! You were getting better as the matches went on, so I had to adjust a bit and become more aggressive. WFT's down smash is pretty good for negating pretty much all of Samus' aerials and hitting her.
Tell me about it hahaha. You hit me coming out of nairs all the time, eff that move so bad

I need to learn how to edgeguard you if I wanna stand a chance. That's one of my biggest issues. And not to call excuses cause you're a lot better than me, but wow is the WFT match up a hard one. She wins the long range game because SS + volleyballs are way better that samus missiles and charge shots. And close up it's not Samus's forte. WFT's air speed and aerial hitboxes are much better (although super unorthodox). The ground game is probably even, her ftilt and jabs are super good but other than that samus probably has better moves. She's just too agile up close, with a very quick roll behind, while being impossible to outcamp.

Also, you should be doing more nair into nair, you combo to up air, while nair can combo into itself like 4-5 times in a row, it's insane!

Cronox

Banned
In other news, my youtube channel somehow has caught the attention of a few people who are now commenting on my videos and stuff. It's weird to have my own personal sycophants, I'm not sure I was ready for this responsibility. Now when I'm playing for glory I'm spending too much time thinking about if the match I'm playing can be a replay to upload and I'm screwing up styling opportunities. Gotta get my head back in the game...

No I just think you are projecting your personal difficulties regarding the move with the reality of the situation. The only time an opponent truly gets caught in pkfire is if it connects mid to close range with the opponent. Any further and the opponent can di out of it fairly consistently. The somewhat long startup and callout by Ness makes it quite easy to predict when to shield or avoid. The only time you will get 40% damage is if you grab early on at 0% or it is close enough for a bat follow up, which isn't always guarunteed and that is a high risk attempt.

I could say, just thinking about it, that you have trouble with the move in particular because when you whiff on an attack you usually follow up with tilts, which leave you open to pkfire.

No doubt, it is a great move, but it has very clear drawbacks and isn't as easily used in high level play.

Maybe my complaint with PK fire has to do with playing a big character, cause at percents past 60 or so, I can't get out of PK fire at all. Smash DI, normal DI whatever. At best I roll out of it just to catch another one. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but Bowser can be chain-PK-fired across the stage into a final smash. Maybe smaller characters don't deal with this, maybe I just need to destroy the hell out of my controller smash DI'ing out of it (my analog stick already has grooves where the corners are...), I don't know. PK fire is frustrating to deal with. Even being able to tough guy through it at low percents doesn't mean much cause it still does so much damage. I really dislike attacks that make you feel like you can get out of them. Jab combos, PK fire, arcfire, these attacks are the most frustrating in the game because somewhere I have this lingering thought that I should be able to DI out of them. I almost never do.

I think Cronoc has surpassed me these days. 90% of my focus is on Mewtwo now.

I'll take it. The smashboards Bowser forum has had some "who's the best Bowser" drama recently, I'll just plant my flag at GAF then.

Good going man, I've been rooting for you since you absolutely demolished me in our ranbats way back. Keep it up! I saw the grand finals set was pretty close too, you almost reset the bracket.

That was a sick finish, but how come M2K was using DK in losers finals? Was this a regional or a local?

Still, great job! Way better than what many of us can claim to accomplish.
Now go beat Zero :p

DK is the closest thing to a main M2K has in Smash 4 at this point. He doesn't want to play Sheik because he fears screwing up his Melee Sheik, and probably doesn't use Fox due to the same sort of thoughts. Doesn't seem like he likes this game's top tier characters that much.

In other news, my youtube channel somehow has caught the attention of a few people who are now commenting on my videos and stuff. It's weird to have my own personal sycophants, I'm not sure I was ready for this responsibility. Now when I'm playing for glory I'm spending too much time thinking about if the match I'm playing can be a replay to upload and I'm screwing up styling opportunities. Gotta get my head back in the game...

Maybe my complaint with PK fire has to do with playing a big character, cause at percents past 60 or so, I can't get out of PK fire at all. Smash DI, normal DI whatever. At best I roll out of it just to catch another one. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but Bowser can be chain-PK-fired across the stage into a final smash. Maybe smaller characters don't deal with this, maybe I just need to destroy the hell out of my controller smash DI'ing out of it (my analog stick already has grooves where the corners are...), I don't know. PK fire is frustrating to deal with. Even being able to tough guy through it at low percents doesn't mean much cause it still does so much damage. I really dislike attacks that make you feel like you can get out of them. Jab combos, PK fire, arcfire, these attacks are the most frustrating in the game because somewhere I have this lingering thought that I should be able to DI out of them. I almost never do.

Bowser's becomes immune to pkfire after the first few hits with his invincibility whatever you call it. I can't recall how many times Karst would hit me with jabs as I ran in after getting him "stuck" in pkfire. It does affect bigger characters, overall far worse, I agree.

Bowser's becomes immune to pkfire after the first few hits with his invincibility whatever you call it. I can't recall how many times Karst would hit me with jabs as I ran in after getting him "stuck" in pkfire. It does affect bigger characters, overall far worse, I agree.
Tough Guy is knockback-based armor. At low %, Bowser can run right through PK Fire after the first hit because the knockback is so low on his big body. Past a certain %, it affects him like any other character, and he is huge so you can definitely chain it against him.

Cronox

Banned

The trade is usually pretty terrible. If the full PK-fire hits Bowser it does what, 20%? So Ness' grab attempt got stuffed by jabs (12% or an Ftilt for 10%), while Bowser stood in the flame absorbing damage. That kind of stuff stops working around 50-60% anyway like I said. It's rough to deal with. Whatever, I'm just late to the PK-fire complaining party and wanted to weigh in.

Edit: on the subject of the new stage, I'm wondering if it'll come with a patch or not. It's not like they're obliged to patch characters it every time new content comes out... maybe they're mostly done with those sorts of changes now.

The trade is usually pretty terrible. If the full PK-fire hits Bowser it does what, 20%? So Ness' grab attempt got stuffed by jabs (12% or an Ftilt for 10%), while Bowser stood in the flame absorbing damage. That kind of stuff stops working around 50-60% anyway like I said. It's rough to deal with. Whatever, I'm just late to the PK-fire complaining party and wanted to weigh in.
You can roll out of it.

I mean, it should be a bad trade for Bowser. He got hit. That he can do anything at all while in PK Fire is great for him.

I can confirm that Shamrock runs into Bowser jabs 100% of the time after landing PK Fire, though. ;-)

Cronox

Banned
You can roll out of it.

I'm more annoyed by what happens after tough guy stops working. But yes, I can roll. My comment was simply to say that just because I can use tough guy to facilitate a poor trade or roll doesn't mean all that much besides the Ness player going "whoa, Bowser can do that?" A character like Ness gets Bowser past 50-60% in no time. Against good players playing high tiers, Bowser may as well start at those percents.

Edit: I'm going to get back to that birth thread and leave one more response sometime later tonight, by the way. So it's not dead yet...

I'm more annoyed by what happens after tough guy stops working. But yes, I can roll. My comment was simply to say that just because I can use tough guy to facilitate a poor trade or roll doesn't mean all that much besides the Ness player going "whoa, Bowser can do that?" A character like Ness gets Bowser past 50-60% in no time. Against good players playing high tiers, Bowser may as well start at those percents.

Edit: I'm going to get back to that birth thread and leave one more response sometime later tonight, by the way. So it's not dead yet...
I totally agree with you re: Bowser's situation. When I played my set against Phantom Flapjack for ranbats, I was outplaying the hell out of him, but one grab and a PK Fire series was all it took to even things out. Bowser just has to work so goddamn hard for his wins, and Ness is harder than most.

Still, Bowser shouldn't get hit by random PK Fires in the neutral too often. He is one of the best at punishing it. Perfect shield into grab, hop into Fire Breath, and SHAD into anything all work well. You can even just roll through it. PK Fire is a very risky move against Bowser. I don't think Ness should be able to stack it, though. The only time PK Fire really pisses me off is at the ledge. That move is way too good to be a ledge guarding move.

Haha, okay.

I thought about writing a story about how my midwife saved me a trip to a doctor, but folks are already so pissy. My son had jaundice, which is extremely common in Colorado, but I didn't know what to do about it. So I called a medical nurse hotline to ask. They said I should go to a doctor right away. Obviously, I flipped, but I also thought "Eh, I'll ask the midwife just to be sure". The midwife said to take Roman out for a walk in the sun for 15 minutes. So I did. Poof, jaundice gone. It turns out that sunlight causes bilirubin, the chemical that causes jaundice, to decompose.

Score another one for the midwife.

Cronox

Banned
I totally agree with you re: Bowser's situation. When I played my set against Phantom Flapjack for ranbats, I was outplaying the hell out of him, but one grab and a PK Fire series was all it took to even things out. Bowser just has to work so goddamn hard for his wins, and Ness is harder than most.

Still, Bowser shouldn't get hit by random PK Fires in the neutral too often. He is one of the best at punishing it. Perfect shield into grab, hop into Fire Breath, and SHAD into anything all work well. You can even just roll through it. PK Fire is a very risky move against Bowser. I don't think Ness should be able to stack it, though. The only time PK Fire really pisses me off is at the ledge. That move is way too good to be a ledge guarding move.

Haha, okay.

I thought about writing a story about how my midwife saved me a trip to a doctor, but folks are already so pissy. My son had jaundice, which is extremely common in Colorado, but I didn't know what to do about it. So I called a medical nurse hotline to ask. They said I should go to a doctor right away. Obviously, I flipped, but I also thought "Eh, I'll ask the midwife just to be sure". The midwife said to take Roman out for a walk in the sun for 15 minutes. So I did. Poof, jaundice gone. It turns out that sunlight causes bilirubin, the chemical that causes jaundice, to decompose.

Score another one for the midwife.

My goto for PK-fire is perfect shield into ftilt. But given the lack of followups, a 10% punish doesn't exactly put the fear into Ness or anything. I don't trust any PK-fire counter that involves jumping, I've been fucked by Bowser's longass jumpsquat too many times to count. If I try and jump on reaction I'll eat a PK-fire. Remember I have very poor reaction time, and half the time I'm playing this game lately I've already taken a melatonin for sleep.

Jaundice, eww, I definitely wouldn't be up for eating any jaundice babies.

Edit: ok what the fuck guys, Greninja's pummel is both slow and does 1%. Fucking 1%. Jesus what a pathetic character. I can't believe Zero just made a video about Greninja and said he could be on the very bottom of high tier. Dude is on some dank shit cause Greninja is straight-up terrible. His speed is the only thing saving him from being one of the worst characters in the game. I'm fucking outraged by how easily I just took out a decent Greninja on for glory. Someone fix this shit. Goddamn sack of rye thinks he knows how to balance games...

My goto for PK-fire is perfect shield into ftilt. But given the lack of followups, a 10% punish doesn't exactly put the fear into Ness or anything. I don't trust any PK-fire counter that involves jumping, I've been fucked by Bowser's longass jumpsquat too many times to count. If I try and jump on reaction I'll eat a PK-fire. Remember I have very poor reaction time, and half the time I'm playing this game lately I've already taken a melatonin for sleep.

Jaundice, eww, I definitely wouldn't be up for eating any jaundice babies.

Edit: ok what the fuck guys, Greninja's pummel is both slow and does 1%. Fucking 1%. Jesus what a pathetic character. I can't believe Zero just made a video about Greninja and said he could be on the very bottom of high tier. Dude is on some dank shit cause Greninja is straight-up terrible. His speed is the only thing saving him from being one of the worst characters in the game. I'm fucking outraged by how easily I just took out a decent Greninja on for glory. Someone fix this shit. Goddamn sack of rye thinks he knows how to balance games...
Wut. Greninja is so good.

Cronox

Banned
Wut. Greninja is so good.

Straight up terrible. The combo videos coming out of Japan are like some sad attempt to act like the character wasn't completely screwed as some kind of Sheik-lite where everything is worse.

My for glory story of the night: So a guy comes in, Mii name deeznuts. Plays Ness. The guy plays him like your standard "PKfiya+dash attack" for glory Ness. I commence asskicking. After the first battle he changes his control profile to DEEZNUTS. So deeznuts is playing DEEZNUTS. How about these nuts guys? Next match he uses Ness' PK-thunder to recover, it goes straight up, curves around and hits Ness on the head spiking him down into oblivion. I sincerely hope he was high. Back to the trenches.

Straight up terrible. The combo videos coming out of Japan are like some sad attempt to act like the character wasn't completely screwed as some kind of Sheik-lite where everything is worse.

My for glory story of the night: So a guy comes in, Mii name deeznuts. Plays Ness. The guy plays him like your standard "PKfiya+dash attack" for glory Ness. I commence asskicking. After the first battle he changes his control profile to DEEZNUTS. So deeznuts is playing DEEZNUTS. How about these nuts guys? Next match he uses Ness' PK-thunder to recover, it goes straight up, curves around and hits Ness on the head spiking him down into oblivion. I sincerely hope he was high. Back to the trenches.
A Greninja made top 32 at Evo, and that was before he got buffed again. :p

Maybe you've just never played a good one - they're incredibly rare.

Cronox

Banned
A Greninja made top 32 at Evo, and that was before he got buffed again. :p

Maybe you've just never played a good one - they're incredibly rare.

Snacks has a pretty good one. I just haven't fought a Greninja in so long I'd forgotten how bad he was. Just because Amsa is a good player in multiple games doesn't say much for Greninja the character. He is completely non-threatening. While I disagree with Zero's bottom of top tier/top of mid tier (every character is high tier to Zero), I agree when he said Greninja just isn't all that well designed, there's just not enough unique to his moveset. His pummel does 1%, I mean c'mon. Can he even duck under Wii Fit Trainer's sun salutation?Replace him with a turquoise Jigglypuff recolor, I say.

Edit: looked it up cause I was curious, turned out Amsa placed 33rd at EVO 2015 in Smash 4, so he didn't make it into top 32. Amsa hasn't had any great international performances since Apex 2015 (where he only got 9th, let's remember), I think he's more focused on Melee anyway.

Snacks has a pretty good one. I just haven't fought a Greninja in so long I'd forgotten how bad he was. Just because Amsa is a good player in multiple games doesn't say much for Greninja the character. He is completely non-threatening. While I disagree with Zero's bottom of top tier/top of mid tier (every character is high tier to Zero), I agree when he said Greninja just isn't all that well designed, there's just not enough unique to his moveset. His pummel does 1%, I mean c'mon. Can he even duck under Wii Fit Trainer's sun salutation?Replace him with a turquoise Jigglypuff recolor, I say.

Edit: looked it up cause I was curious, turned out Amsa placed 33rd at EVO 2015 in Smash 4, so he didn't make it into top 32. Amsa hasn't had any great international performances since Apex 2015 (where he only got 9th, let's remember), I think he's more focused on Melee anyway.

People always mention aMSa, but he doesn't really perform that consistently. I guess because he's already known from Melee and is one of the few known international Japanese players. The next Umebura is going to have more international players, so we'll see if the Greninja players who haven't been able to leave Japan can perform.

It's supposed to be 2%, but still pretty crummy considering you're lucky to get 2 of them even at 140%+. In addition to grab having a slow startup while standing, but a normal startup while dashing. I don't know of anybody who wouldn't trade the extra range for a normal standing grab.

Greninja was a pretty poorly-designed character after the 3DS nerfs. His projectile frame data was as slow as Mewtwo and Samus's despite not being able to hold the charge, Substitute is still lame, he didn't have enough KO power. Then they improved his side tilt to not be useless and have massive endlag, but the biggest buff was to shuriken. The frame data could still be better, but the startup is 5 frames faster so now Greninja can actually camp and harass again, rather than every shuriken needing to be meticulously timed and spaced. As for the "Sheik-lite," that's a pretty common claim and doesn't really hold up when you've played enough Greninja. They aren't any more similar to each other than Sheik is to Fox or Zero Suit, they're just both ninjas. Greninja is much more evasive than Sheik, has longer range (other than Sheik's absurd forward air and needles but we don't talk about that), a better punish game, and KO setups. He's more like Fox or Zero Suit in that he needs to look for or create openings with tricky movement, spaced aerials, and a projectile, rather than Sheik who doesn't have to give a shit about any of that because she has needles.

But you and ZeRo both know the main problem with Greninja, he's just not uniquely threatening. He has good spacing and harassment and disjoined smash attacks and ridiculous movement but none of that is scary because his moves don't set up into each other. His up throw up air doesn't combo as often as most throw combos and doesn't work against some characters, nor does he have any way to decently punish airdodges when it won't combo because his forward air is so slow, his up air has no horizontal range, and his back air is so weak. His neutral air needs to hit with a sourspot to combo (why does it even have a sweetspot anyway?), and both his down tilt and neutral air have significant percent ranges where they don't combo (it combos into up smash on a decent number of characters at 80-90%, then no combo until 140%). Why does his forward air have a 16 frame startup if it doesn't even KO until 140%? Why is his up tilt so slow?
If they made Greninja's combo game actually work rather than being heavily percent, spacing, and character-specific, he would be a serious threat. As it is now, he's a really agile character with some good attributes who can finally compete again, but isn't as scary as he deserves to be.

Also his Up B shouldn't bounce off the stage, that's absurd.

Boney

Banned
Yeah, Greninja is super weird. He's not bad at all, has fast speed, small hurtbox and good diajoints and great vertical reach. But he doesn't have it easy and doesn't have any bread and butter. He has to severely out play opponents to do anything, and while he has good tools to do this because of is weird speeds and hitboxes he doesn't have easy ways to get to opponents.

I think he's similar to Falco in some ways. But no way he's similar to shiek's insane horizontal control

Top Bottom