• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme Tech: 360 DVD, HD DVD playback still seriously flawed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dot50Cal said:
So in the interest of checking out 360 DVD playback vs PS3 DVD playback I went ahead and did a quick comparison of my own since I have the hardware to do this properly (a 480p capable capture card). Heres a shot (ignore the PS3 pause button, I cant get that to go away).

360:
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/360.jpg

PS3:
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gaf/ps3.jpg

Draw your own conclusions, though I'll say black colors are meant to be black, not gray :D

Edit: And yes, the aspect ratio is incorrect, I didn't want to introduce any scaling into this, just the raw output. If you want to resize them yourself the proper ratio would be 720x405. This is a test at 480p native, not upscaled.

They look exactly the same to me :O

Actually, tabbing them and swapping the images directly, the PS3 version looks better. It could just be a brightness thing though.

MikeB said:
Well the console was mostly intended for my kid sister (to turn 15). Kameo was actually a nice game.

2264990090095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

Now my kid sister is going to get a Wii for christmas. :)

Misinformation! At least to me she sweet and great!

2606221220095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

2830810320095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

Now if I would fail your quality tests, I this I could understand. ;-)

2823163720095088590S200x200Q85.jpg
:lol Why?

IronicallyTwisted said:

Actually, tabbing them and swapping the images directly, the PS3 version looks better. It could just be a brightness thing though.
Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing any major difference. Black levels / contrast / colour are generally modified on capture cards / TVs for specific outputs anyway.

CoG

Dot50Cal said:
So in the interest of checking out 360 DVD playback vs PS3 DVD playback I went ahead and did a quick comparison of my own since I have the hardware to do this properly (a 480p capable capture card). Heres a shot (ignore the PS3 pause button, I cant get that to go away).

Draw your own conclusions, though I'll say black colors are meant to be black, not gray :D

Edit: And yes, the aspect ratio is incorrect, I didn't want to introduce any scaling into this, just the raw output. If you want to resize them yourself the proper ratio would be 720x405. This is a test at 480p native, not upscaled.

The background trees on the 360 show some weird noise.

Mojovonio

Banned
Dude, you girlfriend is fucking ugly.

But in 3 years, send your sister my way.

I'll loosen her asshole up since your dad has trouble keeping it up.

Uncle

IronicallyTwisted said:

The 360 picture is a bit more grey in the black.

Dot50Cal, what was your reference level setting on the 360? Expanded?

MikeB

Banned
BishopLamont said:
lol @ MikeB talking about his personal life to cover up his bias. :lol

No cover up, apart from ATi's GPU I think the XBox 360 in general has been crap both from a technical and reliability perspective, despite some good games and some nice colors for its GameOS.

I never claimed to be unbiased, bias comes with experience. Who of you guy claims to be completely unbiased?

Dot50Cal

Banned
CoG said:
The background trees on the 360 show some weird noise.

Indeed, I think it might be because its messing with the contrast on the disc, thus the flaws show more. If you look at his uniform and gun barrel which are supposed to be black, they are gray (look at the black bars below them).

Uncle said:
Dot50Cal, what was your reference level setting on the 360? Expanded?

I haven't touched the setting, so whatever the default is.

Mojovonio said:

You should know better than to use personal attacks.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheRipDizz said:
Why not? The 360 is my PC by means of its extender, though I don't desire for my 360 to do everything my PC does in regards to media. It has that advantage over the PS3 in that regard, which is a pretty big one in my eyes. Makes perfect sense to me.

What do you mean by extension rather than the center itself. I rather have just the PS3 rather than a seperate blu-ray player or dvd player. Creates more space, least for me. Its a big deal that the PS3 does more than the 360, so you like the 360 more?? So 360 has an advantage of doing less?

Dot50Cal said:
Indeed, I think it might be because its messing with the contrast on the disc, thus the flaws show more. If you look at his uniform and gun barrel which are supposed to be black, they are gray (look at the black bars below them).

Can't you change the black levels via settings?

pswii60

MikeB said:
Well the console was mostly intended for my kid sister (to turn 15). Kameo was actually a nice game.

2264990090095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

Now my kid sister is going to get a Wii for christmas. :)

Misinformation! At least to me she sweet and great!

2606221220095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

2830810320095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

Now if I would fail your quality tests, I this I could understand. ;-)

2823163720095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

You are seriously fucking weird man. This thread has turned in to your personal blog. I don't want to ever meet you in a dark alley, you literally scare the shit out of me.

Mojovonio said:

No need for that though, mate. A bit harsh if I say so myself.

Uncle

Dot50Cal said:

I think it's standard by default. Setting it to expanded should make the black look better. It did with my set up (I'm using VGA and a Samsung LCD).

pswii60

Mojovonio said:
This is NeoGaf, dude!

She's got lots of aliasing.

Yeah and hair shimmering, too.

sionyboy said:
Wow.... I've never seen someone take console wars so seriously. Posting pictures of your family......scary, scary man.

I'm sure I've seen MikeB on hotornot.

Mojovonio

Banned
sionyboy said:
Wow.... I've never seen someone take console wars so seriously. Posting pictures of your family......scary, scary man.

MS did screw them...

now to get this topic back on track.

8gjkqkn.jpg

neojubei said:
What do you mean by extension rather than the center itself. I rather have just the PS3 rather than a seperate blu-ray player or dvd player. Creates more space, least for me. Its a big deal that the PS3 does more than the 360, so you like the 360 more?? So 360 has an advantage of doing less?

Have you ever used the Media Center extender on the 360?

pswii60

MightyHedgehog said:
What a cringe-worthy thread. MikeB, are you also one of those misguided souls that blames MS for killing Amiga? Let it go, man.

I once knew someone just like MikeB. He was obsessed with the Acorn Archimedes computers. He rated them far above any Amiga or Atari ST. He also blamed MS for Acorn's demise.

CoG

Mojovonio said:

Wow. Just, wow. Totally uncalled for.

MikeB said:
Just for fun, I have no secrets, people can dig up any information they want. It's quite amusing seeing all this childishness. :lol
Do you have any more pictures of your sister you can post? Just for fun and all that. ;)

spwolf

HaloFans said:
That was the old article without the updates.

Did he turn the Expanded black levels on?

How come the new article doesn't have pictures?

do you have problems with reading large texts? Article says there were no updates to dvd playback - still same errors, same testing results.

xbhaskarx

Forget about all the other crazy shit, if there is any justice MikeB's tag needs to reflect the fact that he's eager to share photos of his underage sister with strange men on the internet.

Dot50Cal

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Forget about all the other crazy shit, if there is any justice MikeB's tag needs to reflect the fact that he's eager to share photos of his underage sister with strange men on the internet.

:lol Yes!

Mojovonio

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

Yeah, I wanna see how MS screwed his family... her especially.

MikeB

Banned
pswii60 said:
I once knew someone just like MikeB. He was obsessed with the Acorn Archimedes computers. He rated them far above any Amiga or Atari ST. He also blamed MS for Acorn's demise.

The Acorn had a kick-ass architecture and some good innovations for its time.

Now that we have all the off topic discussion behind us, I see more people getting back on topic. A good idea, don't you agree?

pswii60

HaloFans said:
That was the old article without the updates.

Did he turn the Expanded black levels on?

How come the new article doesn't have pictures?

They've zoomed in more for the 360 speedometer pics.

MikeB said:

Now that we have all the off topic discussion behind us, I see more people getting back on topic. A good idea, don't you agree?

Don't fucking patronise me. You're the one posting pics of your family, labelling incorrect screesnshots and telling everyone how great you are, that derailed this damn thread in the first place.

clav

spwolf said:
do you have problems with reading large texts? Article says there were no updates to dvd playback - still same errors, same testing results.
I haven't had issues with playback with DVDs on my Xbox 360.

MikeB said:

You posted pictures of your family. No. Horrible idea to go back.

MikeB

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

I think mostly underage boys post at this website, considering the comments. My sister is well protected so don't worry. She has more than enough pictures floating around on the internet. She wants to be famous anyhow. :)

Mojovonio

Banned
MikeB said:
I think mostly underage boys post at this website, considering the comments. My sister is well protected so don't worry. She has more than enough pictures floating around on the internet.

Well, now you know better than to post a topic on this board.

Unless its about your sister.

pswii60

MikeB said:
I think mostly underage boys post at this website, considering the comments. My sister is well protected so don't worry. She has more than enough pictures floating around on the internet.

And why do you want to spend so much time arguing with underage boys? EDIT: And seriously never post pictures of you and your family on a gaming forum. Not wise as I'm sure you've gathered from the feedback!

spwolf said:
Actually, it refferences their previous article on how "bad 360's DVD playback is".
Which has a lot of pictures.

0,1425,i=163664,00.jpg

0,1425,i=163665,00.jpg

0,1425,i=163666,00.jpg

0,1425,i=163672,00.jpg

You can find a lot more in their original article:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2088535,00.asp

Warning - it is pretty big review and it has 5-6 pages.

There really is very little difference between the DVD quality on my 360 and my PS3, although I agree that PS3 edges it. Nothing to the level shown above though. I often use my PS3 though to watch DVDs simply because it is generally quieter, although the menu navigation, forwarding etc is far faster on my 360 which is what I want other times. My Wii still doesn't play DVDs at all.

Valcrist

This thread represent's GAF at it's worse. Personal attacks, random fanboy spinning, tons of defense forces, and good old console wars. Not surprisingly, it has tons of replies as well.

Boken

Banned
Well MarkB, I noticed the poor attempt at name calling. I am not willing to reciprocate your behaviour!!

Mojovonio said:
Yeah, I wanna see how MS screwed his family... her especially.
Kameo turned his sister into a "M$" lover. The greatest dishonour to his family apparently.

MarkB said:
xbhaskarx said:

Then sir, why are you so keen on debating with "underage boys". Shouldn't a bright gentleman like yourself be frolicking with your fellow intellectual peers?

PS. Can I have a picture of your mother? You know, for DVD playback tests.

Mojovonio

Banned
Valcrist said:
This thread represent's GAF at it's worse. Personal attacks, random fanboy spinning, tons of defense forces, and good old console wars. Not surprisingly, it has tons of replies as well.

Oh, you haven't seen GAF at its worst yet.

This thread is just hilarious.

MikeB said:

Link?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Mojovonio said:

That's harsh. This topic is filled with immature personal attacks.

Draft

I am not afraid of Microsoft or XBox 360 fanboys. They have screwed my family with their IMO far below standard quality products and customer support and I will criticize them whenever I feel it's fair.
What did they do to your family. Tell me. I want to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom