• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme Tech: 360 DVD, HD DVD playback still seriously flawed

Status
Not open for further replies.
gofreak said:
This thread is a bit silly, but..

..for a lot of 07, japan was compensating for the gap in NA, for PS3, so performance there is actually relevant. Up until a few months ago at least, I stopped keeping track back then.
Do you mean when the 360 was routinely selling in the 150,000 range and the PS3 in the 80,000s? Yeah, the same terms applied here too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheRipDizz said:
Do you mean when the 360 was routinely selling in the 150,000 range and the PS3 in the 80,000s? Yeah, the same terms applied here too.

I'm just saying, up until a certain point in the year at least, adding NPD+media create numbers for 360 and PS3 for YTD lead to roughly very similar numbers. We discussed it in another thread, and I provided numbers there.

On that basis, I would say there is a contribution for Japan to make.

edit - I checked the last time it was discussed, and then the numbers were up to date through August. At that point, there was only about 100k-150k in the difference between the 360 and PS3 when you added NPD and Media Create together, YTD. That could change hugely over Xmas, of course, but Xmas or the whole year wasn't part of my claim :p

CTLance

Oh lordy... do not want.
6z6b3m9.jpg

Why is this thread in the Gaming side of this forum?
I vote we move this to OT and be done with it.

MikeB

Banned
CTLance said:
Why is this thread in the Gaming side of this forum?
I vote we move this to OT and be done with it.

Go ask, in the "Xbox 360 HD DVD add on now $129" thread posted today. Didn't see you there complaining? ;-)

Seriously the XBox 360 and PS3 are currently the most used HD DVD and Blu-Ray media players, it's relevant to quite a few people it seems. Of course media playback quality may be relevant to games as well, I noticed a good difference on my 7.1 audio set.

We also saw many game comparisons posted on here, IMO mostly are far more flawed to begin with as often the comparison screenshots/videos don't use the optimal settings for the PS3 (off gamma / brightness settings and IMO more importantly enabling full RGB range color).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't know what is going on in thie topic, but I would NEVER use my 360 for movies or cds, good god no. I usually use my ps3 for blu-ray movies, dvds, cds and games. I like the dvix support on the 360 but hate the noise, so I am not sure i'll use that much.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This thread is batshit insane. And really, I think the 360 DVD playback is shite, but damn, kid, you belong to the loony bin. Somebody call the guys with the straightjackets before he hurts himself.

Tk0n

MikeB said:
We also saw many game comparisons posted on here, IMO mostly are far more flawed to begin with as often the comparison screenshots/videos don't use the optimal settings for the PS3 (off gamma / brightness settings and IMO more importantly enabling full RGB range color).

how can they be more flawed than your comparision of a 360 pic in which clearly the color and aspect reatio are off (which they arent normaly) to a ps3 bluray capure?

bj00rn

Banned
Yeah, this thread is indeed a trainwreck, after a disastrous start and a continuously atrocious follow-up by the author - But without the implication that it was an accident.

At the same time it's pretty funny stuff though, classic Neogaf. I don't think this guy is able to fool anyone but his apprentice-sheep, but the bizarre thing here is that it seems like MikeB is serious about the fanboy charade - Which kinda is an oxymoron...

neojubei said:
I don't know what is going on in thie topic, but I would NEVER use my 360 for movies or cds, good god no. I usually use my ps3 for blu-ray movies, dvds, cds and games. I like the dvix support on the 360 but hate the noise, so I am not sure i'll use that much.
The 360 makes no noise at all while streaming. : /

m0dus

Banned
MikeB said:
I am not afraid of Microsoft or XBox 360 fanboys. They have screwed my family with their IMO far below standard quality products and customer support and I will criticize them whenever I feel it's fair.

They Messed with His Family.

He's out . . . for REVENGE!

:lol I gotta say though, this thread has been beyond amusing thus far. please, do continue. If not with the flawed, utterly random and pointless list comparisons, then for the subjective 'facts' that serve to fuel the irrational dislike one of you has for one machine or another.

MikeB

Banned
Tk0n said:
how can they be more flawed than your comparision of a 360 pic in which clearly the color and aspect reatio are off (which they arent normaly) to a ps3 bluray capure?

I have no reason to mistrust this poster, he said he used the same settings. I thought it was an interesting comparison he made, the 360/HDTV scaling he posted was far worse than the PS3/HDTV scaling.

You are also free to post your own comparison shots. The PS3 has been highly acclaimed as being one of the very best DVD upscaling and Blu-Ray players on the market by various high profile consumer electronics related sources, so I have no doubt the PS3 is better.

I disliked the 360 for its huge ass power supply and rigid cables (difficult properly fit in my media cabinet) and thought the DVD playback quality wasn't nearly as good as it was hyped up to be on forums (unbelievable, but many XBox 360 fans slammed the PS3 for not having DVD upscaling out of the box at the beginning, something a good HDTV can easily take care of by itself and wasn't added to the XBox 360 until a later firmware update as well).

spwolf

Every article from every magazine confirmed this long time ago - xbox is pretty weak HD-DVD player that has pretty weak sound, compared to other BD and HD-DVD players and PS3 of course.

Its kind of funny to acusse MikeB when he linked to another article and in any case, it is well known fact.

MikeB said:
I have no reason to mistrust this poster, he said he used the same settings. I thought it was interesting comparison he made, the 360/HDTV scaling the posted was far worse than the PS3/HDTV scaling.

You are also free to post your own comparison shots. The PS3 has been highly acclaimed as being one of the very best DVD upscaling and Blu-Ray players on the market by various high profile consumer electronics related sources, so I have no doubt the PS3 is better.

I disliked the 360 for its huge ass power supply and rigid cables (difficult properly fit in my media cabinet) and thought the DVD playback quality wasn't nearly as good as it was hyped up to be on forums (unbelievable, but many XBox 360 fans slammed the PS3 for not having DVD upscaling out of the box at the beginning, something a good HDTV can easily take care of by itself and wasn't added to the XBox 360 until a later firmware update as well).

I was going to say I disliked the PS3 because of that atrocious spiderman font on it, but you came in here with these points and just blew mine away. Touche, buddy. Touche.

MikeB

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
And here I thought people bought these console thingamajigs to play games on them. Whowudaathunk?

Is that really surprising? Scientists, Medical researchers, app developers, hackers are all achieving pretty amazing results with the Cell, just do a google search.

The Cell is also potentially very powerful with regard to games and multimedia.

MikeB said:
Is that really surprising? Scientists, Medical researchers, app developers, hackers are all achieving pretty amazing results with the Cell, just do a google search.

The Cell is also potentially very powerful with regard to games and multimedia.
But can it make the spiderman font on the front of the console disappear?

ThirdEye

Tk0n said:
What's blu-ray capture? It's comparison of DVD upscaling.

neojubei

spwolf said:
Every article from every magazine confirmed this long time ago - xbox is pretty weak HD-DVD player that has pretty weak sound, compared to other BD and HD-DVD players and PS3 of course.

Wasn't this always the case?

spwolf said:

Its kind of funny to acusse MikeB when he linked to another article and in any case, it is well known fact.
Accuse him of what? Comparing a PS3 blu-ray shot with an upscaled 360 DVD one to point out those differences? There's no accusing of anything. The proof in on the front page.

clav

MikeB said:
I read about some comparisons made between the PS3 and XBox 360 on a high-def forum:

This is what Ice Age 2 DVD looked like on the XBox 360 (scaled down image):

Xbox 360:
XBOXIA2.jpg

It should have looked more like (PS3):
PS3IABR1.jpg

Looks like the XBox 360 does some weird scaling? And the colors seemed far off as compared to intended.
Wow.

You still haven't edited this, yet you claim the mistake later that you posted the Blu-Ray picture. Fix it.

MikeB

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
Accuse him of what? Comparing a PS3 blu-ray shot with an upscaled 360 DVD one to point out those differences? There's no accusing of anything. The proof in on the front page.

OK, sorry for that. Will you now grow up and look at the PS3 DVD picture instead (it doesn't matter much as the image was downscaled).

Uncle

MikeB said:
OK, sorry for that. Will you now grow up and look at the PS3 DVD picture instead (it doesn't matter much as the image was downscaled).

Eh, there's a pretty clear difference in quality between the PS3 DVD and blu-ray pictures.

MikeB

Banned
HaloFans said:
Wow.

You still haven't edited this, yet you claim the mistake later that you posted the Blu-Ray picture. Fix it.

I changed it, I thought it would seem dishonest for the following replies if I suddenly changed the posting. Anyway I added a notice. Happy now?

MikeB

Banned
bendak said:
:lol

Wait, when did this turn into a sales thread? Before or after comparing 1080p video to 480p video?

Feel free to ask xbhaskarx why he quoted unrelated postings. :lol

MikeB said:
I don't think you are though. I think to you, the blu ray pic is how you see DVD upscaling on the PS3 in your mind, you know because it has teh cell in it and all that good stuff, so every time you post about this subject, you automatically choose that one to represent it. How else can you account for doing it once, getting called out for it, then doing it again? :lol

shifty100

Banned
This 360 is an adequate box when it comes to multimedia, the PS3 is the opposite - excellent multimedia box ( and before 360 fans go nuts, yes it lacks codec support more than the 360 ( wmv and divx ) ...... but it more than makes up for it with native HD optical drive and excellent playback for both blu ray and dvd upscaling.

Sound playback on PS3 is far superior than 360 and along with the HDD upgrade option ( yes you can have external HDD, but along with everything else ( power supply & HDdvd drive ) as a single box for multimedia the PS3 will always be more preferable to the av enthusiast.

360 excels at games, and here it already wins hands down as the better games console, but when and if sony get their games catalogue sorted out then the PS3 will become harder to pass by as the one machine for under your TV that you should have.

MikeB

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
I don't think you are though. I think to you, the blu ray pic is how you see DVD upscaling on the PS3 in your mind, you know because it has teh cell in it and all that good stuff, so every time you post about this subject, you automatically choose that one to represent it. How else can you account for doing it once, getting called out for it, then doing it again? :lol

The copy of my comparison article which I have stored on my harddrive is still identical to the original post I posted back then (it was a quick copy & paste). IMO nothing really hard to understand at all and I provided the correct picture in this thread pretty soon afterwards.

So time for your first on topic post? What's your "expert" opinion regard DVD / HD DVD media playback quality on the 360? Are the industry standard tests flawed? :lol

clav

MikeB said:
The copy of my comparison article which I have stored on my harddrive is still identical to the original post I posted back then (it was a quick copy & paste). IMO nothing really hard to understand at all and I provided the correct picture in this thread pretty soon afterwards.

So time for your first on topic post? What's your "expert" opinion regard DVD / HD DVD media playback quality on the 360? Are the industry standard tests flawed? :lol
Hm. Well, with my experience on the Xbox 360 DVD player, none of my DVDs look like that.

If you see the original post where these pictures came from, you can see the pictures are dated back early 2007.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=9444033&postcount=41

Now, I don't know how fair this comparison is, but I know for sure my DVDs do not look like that on my Xbox 360.

I guess it's not fair since now we know these pictures don't show upscaling of the Xbox 360.

shifty100 said:
This 360 is an adequate box when it comes to multimedia, the PS3 is the opposite - excellent multimedia box ( and before 360 fans go nuts, yes it lacks codec support more than the 360 ( wmv and divx ) ...... but it more than makes up for it with native HD optical drive and excellent playback for both blu ray and dvd upscaling.

Sound playback on PS3 is far superior than 360 and along with the HDD upgrade option ( yes you can have external HDD, but along with everything else ( power supply & HDdvd drive ) as a single box for multimedia the PS3 will always be more preferable to the av enthusiast.

360 excels at games, and here it already wins hands down as the better games console, but when and if sony get their games catalogue sorted out then the PS3 will become harder to pass by as the one machine for under your TV that you should have.
I dunno. The MC extender in the 360 means it has done very well by me as a multimedia machine. And in reality, I'd much rather have the machine sitting next to my TV as an extension of my multimedia center rather than the center itself. In that regard, it's leagues ahead of the PS3.

MikeB

Banned
HaloFans said:
Hm. Well, with my experience on the Xbox 360 DVD player, none of my DVDs look like that.

If you see the original post where these pictures came from, you can see the pictures are dated back early 2007.

Now, I don't know how fair this comparison is, but I know for sure my DVDs do not look like that on my Xbox 360.

I guess it's not fair since now we know these pictures don't show upscaling of the Xbox 360.

Your setup may be significantly different, you do use a HDTV right? If you use an ordinary NTSC TV there should be no scaling involved for DVDs. Also it may be more eye catching in an cartoon than would be the case with a other kind of movie. Do you own Ice Age to check it out and post some pictures? (anyone?)

neojubei

HaloFans said:

Please show us examples then.

TheRipDizz said:
I dunno. The MC extender in the 360 means it has done very well by me as a multimedia machine. And in reality, I'd much rather have the machine sitting next to my TV as an extension of my multimedia center rather than the center itself. In that regard, it's leagues ahead of the PS3.

That does not make sense.

Boken

Banned
I actually read this entire catastrophic thread in order to make an intelligent, insightful and MikeB owning post. But... I have no words.

OMFG MIKE B. WTF? WTF?

This is the most batshit insane defense of failure I have seen in a while.

So here is a summary for those of you who just joined us here:

MikeB attempts to sabotage mindshare of the 360 via DVD and HD playback flaws.

He posts a comparison picture of 360 DVD vs PS3 Blu ray

Shit storm ensues.

MikeB's allegiance is clear! GAF-Detective Force strike, MikeB is a staunch PS3 supporter who often "mixes up" screen shots to make his beloved platform seem much better.
I am not afraid of Microsoft or XBox 360 fanboys. They have screwed my family with their IMO far below standard quality products and customer support and I will criticize them whenever I feel it's fair.
THEY RAPED HIS FAMILY!!!! His actions are clearly justfied now.

DVD playback quality thread becomes PS3 vs 360 thread.

MikeB's girlfriend is 21 and is studying pharmacy. She failed my picture quality test. Extreme Tech rates her 10/140!!.
Choice MikeB Quotes said:
Xbox games offer little replay value.

MikeB's campaign against the 360 takes its first victim as T_Tokyo2010 falls to the hands of the mighty viral marketer empire.

MikeB uses "Christmas wishlists" to prove that PS3 is more popular than the 360. Christmas Wishlists. Not even considering that if people already have a 360, they will not be wishing for it, this is dumb.

NEWSFLASH: MikeB, Physical Therapist, aged 31, as seen on 3SAT/ZDF TV program, is an HD GURU! Be warned, he is not afraid of xbox 360 fanboys!!!

neojubei said:
That does not make sense.
Why not? The 360 is my PC by means of its extender, though I don't desire for my 360 to do everything my PC does in regards to media. It has that advantage over the PS3 in that regard, which is a pretty big one in my eyes. Makes perfect sense to me.

Dot50Cal

Banned
So in the interest of checking out 360 DVD playback vs PS3 DVD playback I went ahead and did a quick comparison of my own since I have the hardware to do this properly (a 480p capable capture card). Heres a shot (ignore the PS3 pause button, I cant get that to go away).

360:
360.jpg

PS3:
ps3.jpg

Draw your own conclusions, though I'll say black colors are meant to be black, not gray :D

Edit: And yes, the aspect ratio is incorrect, I didn't want to introduce any scaling into this, just the raw output. If you want to resize them yourself the proper ratio would be 720x405. This is a test at 480p native, not upscaled.

spwolf

TheRipDizz said:

thats fine, i am rather talking about extremetech article from OP. He might have used wrong example, but result is still the same.

xbhaskarx

MikeB said:

montoya.gif

clav

spwolf said:
thats fine, i am rather talking about extremetech article from OP. He might have used wrong example, but result is still the same.
How is it still the same when there are no pictures to compare?

That doesn't make any sense.

spwolf said:

You asked why he was getting flack. That's why. and the results are most deffinatly not the same as what he demonstrated. gtfo.

As for DVD 360 vs DVD PS3, please see the post above. I concur with those finding, as I've never seen my 360 stretch to the effect of the OP.

MikeB

Banned
Boken Record said:
MikeB's girlfriend is 21 and is studying pharmacy. She failed my picture quality test. Extreme Tech rates her 10/140!!.

EDIT

Now if I would fail your quality tests, I this I could understand. ;-)

2823163720095088590S200x200Q85.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom