• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Slermy

If you just want to go to the island, you can get there by taking a boat from Windhelm.

If you want to start the quest, just adventure around for a bit and it will find you.

Lakitu

st5fu
I got attacked by a Miraak cult as I was walking around.

I finally got
a property in Raven Rock. It's awesome.

Dyno

Get the one in Markarth, it's a lot better.

How so, Ghaleon? Solitude home vs. Markath home - Extreme Real Estate Battle

What are the pros and cons? I'll start by saying I want to get the one in Solitude in this playthrough because I joined the Imperials and I figure it will be close to the action.

Huh, "The Chief of Thirsk Hall" is a pretty awesome quest.
I'm the chief of a tribe of Rieklings, for fuck's sake. :lol

So I wanted faster saves but I didn't want to wade through 870+ save files... I moved my most important saves to the cloud and I just laid waste to my entire Xbox Skyrim folder. Man I feel strange and scared. I'll have to reinstall and download all my DLC and updates but it was either this, 40 second saves (mostly time spent waiting for the save list to show up) or half a day of SELECT->NAVIGATE TO DELETE->SELECT DELETE->CONFIRM DELETE->... rinse repeat for 870 times.

Question: Have they ever fixed the install issue with low-res textures on 360S 250GB models?

Jinjo

Downloaded it tonight. Played up until the point where I got my first achievement in the main quest (besides getting on the island). Like it so far. The ash-ridden environments are very eerie. Definitely like the mood so far. Hoping there will be some good loot along the way.

Okay so i think i just finished the MQ. Spoilers ahoy!

Story is cool, they brought back Hameus Mora. Introduced new enemies

Dragon riding is cool, i'm gonna try that out some more.

The ending of the MQ lets you clear all perks if you want for 1 dragon soul per perk.

Mirkaa is a fun boss battle, heals himself by killing all his dragons.

Enjoyable, but not too long.

The main quest took me ~4 hours to beat on Novice. I can see it taking around 7-8 on harder difficulties.

There's so many side quests and dungeons to raid though, so you have a lot of extra time to do stuff.

How does the third point work exactly?
You get to rid a skill of all its used perk points (to spend again) by using one dragon soul? Or is it actually one soul per perk kinda deal? Either way that sounds awesome. Definitely want to change a few skills/perk points.

Go South East from Raven Rock, you'll find an abandoned farm and a captain that's under attack by Ash Spawn. Speak to him and complete the questline. You'll be rewarded a house.

Thanks.
Just started that one. I had done the quest in the mines without talking to the folks in charge and when I finally did get around to talking to them they started calling me a citizen so I was afraid I had missed it, or it was bugged or something.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Go South East from Raven Rock, you'll find an abandoned farm and a captain that's under attack by Ash Spawn. Speak to him and complete the questline. You'll be rewarded a house.

I'm stuck somewhere along this questline. I finished the quest you mention but all you get is gold. I've read that you're supposed to get a quest from the councilor guy but he has nothing for me.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm stuck somewhere along this questline. I finished the quest you mention but all you get is gold. I've read that you're supposed to get a quest from the councilor guy but he has nothing for me.

Speak to the captain again (or he will come speak to you), he's the one who gives you the message to meet the councilor.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Speak to the captain again (or he will come speak to you), he's the one who gives you the message to meet the councilor.

It seems like I've talked to everybody a dozen times. I imagine there's some sort of strange trigger I haven't hit.

Spent my first few hours just circling the entire island and discovering what appears to be all the locations. The northern half of the island is a bit of a disappointment, it's essentially just Skyrim.

Lakitu

st5fu
It seems like I've talked to everybody a dozen times. I imagine there's some sort of strange trigger I haven't hit.

Not untypical in a Bethesda game to have a quest-related bug. I've had a couple already but for the small fetch quests. Markers not activating. Hope you find a way as I feel the home in Raven Rock is essential, if you're a hoarder like me. Do you have an earlier saves?

Just got done for the night and I'm really enjoying it so far. For those asking about how it compares with the likes of Dawnguard, it's different, but much much better. It helps that there's a new island to explore and many more NPCs / side-quests. Although I've only been to a few dungeons, nothing so far has really stuck out to me as particularly unique.

The island is big, no doubt about it. It's hard to compare though in terms of size but I'm having a blast exploring it. I haven't even explored 1/4 of it yet although I've been around the south and towards the east.

Haven't really touched the main quest besides the first quest and side-quests so far are really enjoyable. I thought the Raven Rock quest was challenging and
Bloodskaal is definitely one of the best swords in the game. I love it.
. There's also a couple of other side-quests I enjoyed like
your run in with the Morag Tong
and the Thirsk Mead Hall one (which I have a question about actually:
is it possible to side with the Nords and kill the Rieklings instead?
).

The area around the telvanni town and the town itself is incredible, that was definitely a highlight for me but the town itself really is quiet. Not many NPCs.

A couple of other things:
-Highpoint Tower, found this fort but can't seem to find the entrance even though it appears on my local map.
-Ramshackle Trading Post:
I found a note on a wall there which says to meet them at midnight. I didn't wait around but just wondering if there's any significance to that.
-An encounter:
I found a couple of pirates arguing about a treasure and they got into a fight to the death. I tried to speak to the surviving pirate but nothing came of it. I don't know if it's do with a quest I received earlier about a treasure.

lingiii

Banned
...-Highpoint Tower, found this fort but can't seem to find the entrance even though it appears on my local map.[/spoiler]

Certainly don't remember that specifically, but you can try fast-travelling to it if you haven't yet. That usually drops you facing where you need.

Man I just got back in after not playing since any of the patches. Picked up Hearthfire on top of rolling a new toon and hell if this game isn't great. Last guy was a bow-and-arrow type, so now I'm getting into a Mage. I must have played 80 hours on my first dude and it's incredible how totally fresh everything is now, playing a different combat style, doing quest lines I hadn't ever examined and even finding cities I hadn't visited.

I am LOVING the Kinect support. Speaking Thu'ums is kind of kludgey with the Dragonborn saying them himself right after, but having live access to everything is magical. Plus, as a mage I have so many spells the favorites-menu is kind of a pain, so much pausing. It feels great to enter a cave and go through the cycle of "candlelight, *flesh, muffle, summon * atronach, equip combat spells" all out loud. It's like a little prayer, gets me in the zone. Plus I mapped my main fire spell to "Sword" and a ward to "Sheild". It's great saying "equip Sword and Shield" as a mage; I always smirk a lil about dumb warriors getting literal swords and shields versus my magickal powers.

GhaleonEB

Do we have to be a certain level to trigger the hook to Dragonborn? I created a new character, went to Riverwood, dabbled in a cave, went to Whiterun, did a few things in town, then traveled on foot to Solitude. So far nothing...

Do we have to be a certain level to trigger the hook to Dragonborn? I created a new character, went to Riverwood, dabbled in a cave, went to Whiterun, did a few things in town, then traveled on foot to Solitude. So far nothing...

You have to have at least met the Greybeards and started the Jurgen Windcaller quest.

GhaleonEB

You have to have at least met the Greybeards and started the Jurgen Windcaller quest.

Thank you. Makes sense, gotta get dragons into the world - I should have thought of that. On the plus side I gathered up some basic supplies and leveled a few skills for the trip. Playing Master difficulty with a whole new set of enemies will be interesting.

Back to Whiterun later tonight.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Not untypical in a Bethesda game to have a quest-related bug. I've had a couple already but for the small fetch quests. Markers not activating. Hope you find a way as I feel the home in Raven Rock is essential, if you're a hoarder like me. Do you have an earlier saves?

[/spoiler]

I have plenty of earlier saves but man I'd be pissed if I had to restart. I've done every quest I can find that originates in Raven Rock, and neither the Captain or the 2nd Councilor has anything to say.

Reading the impressions of this DLC makes me really want to play Skyrim again and not randomly burn out after 30 hours.

I do have a save but I guess it's worth starting over now as it's been almost a year since I last did (which is crazy when I think of it).

What are all these complaints I see elsewhere about loot/level scaling? Can anyone shed some light on how Skyrim's systems work exactly btw? I see a lot of criticism from it in some quarters (but also praise from others).

I am excited to start it again though, although I may venture somewhere other than Whiterun for my first bunch of quests though.

Plasmid

Downloaded it tonight. Played up until the point where I got my first achievement in the main quest (besides getting on the island). Like it so far. The ash-ridden environments are very eerie. Definitely like the mood so far. Hoping there will be some good loot along the way.

How does the third point work exactly?
You get to rid a skill of all its used perk points (to spend again) by using one dragon soul? Or is it actually one soul per perk kinda deal? Either way that sounds awesome. Definitely want to change a few skills/perk points.

Lets say you have 10 perks in the Alchemy skill, after the MQ it allows you to go to an icon that says "Clear X skill" and asks "Would you like to clear all perks in this skill for 1 dragon soul" You then have an extra x amount of perks available to be put anywhere.

I'm getting an urge to go play

The_Elder_Scrolls_III_-_Bloodmoon_Coverart.png

Balya

I'm getting an urge to go play

The_Elder_Scrolls_III_-_Bloodmoon_Coverart.png

I tried to get through that before this came out. Didn't happen, a couple quests in there's a guy you're recommended to be at lv30 to kill. My only high level Morrowind guy was back on Xbox where I had the vanilla version.

So how does one get into the Temple of Miraak?

I've been searching for an entrance for ages, but i can't find anything besides a lot of mountains i can't climb and waterfalls bringing me downwards.

So how does one get into the Temple of Miraak?

I've been searching for an entrance for ages, but i can't find anything besides a lot of mountains i can't climb and waterfalls bringing me downwards.

At the very top (where people are constructing it) you go down some steps into a bowl and
speak to someone named Frea who is pleading with those building. Once you do speak to her, a staircase should appear that takes you down into the temple.

Jinjo

Lets say you have 10 perks in the Alchemy skill, after the MQ it allows you to go to an icon that says "Clear X skill" and asks "Would you like to clear all perks in this skill for 1 dragon soul" You then have an extra x amount of perks available to be put anywhere.

That's fucking awesome.

Is anyone else's Blackguard hood also glitched? Finished up Mallory's quest and the hood just gives my character a square bald patch on his head. :S Also, got my house. Now I don't need to store my stuff in a random urn on the docks lol.

Edit: quick search shows Linwe's hood is also glitched. My vampirism is probably the cause. Such a huge oversight, you bring out a vampire themed DLC and you put in vampire-glitched armor in the next. I guess now we got 2 glitched thieves' armor.

Volimar

Looks like a lot of people are pissed about the spears and dragon riding training wheels. I guess it's understandable, Bethesda knew what people would think when they put those in the trailer. They should have come clean and managed expectations weeks ago instead of letting people find out after buying it. Now a great dlc is going to feel like a rip off to some people.

Unicorn

They are basically arrows. You fire them with your bow.

Crappy arrows even.
What the flying fuck? That Beth Game Jam had someone put proper Spears in the game with new animations... Why not throw that in, since they've already put a lot of things from that game jam into the game.

What the flying fuck? That Beth Game Jam had someone put proper Spears in the game with new animations... Why not throw that in, since they've already put a lot of things from that game jam into the game.

The issues has never been the animations AFAIK its been a difficulty with the engine recognizing stabbing actions properly.

Top Bottom