• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

That spear thing is sad. And what's this about "dragon riding training wheels"?
does it work like fast travel or something?

Volimar

What the flying fuck? That Beth Game Jam had someone put proper Spears in the game with new animations... Why not throw that in, since they've already put a lot of things from that game jam into the game.

That's why people are mad. They saw the Game Jam vid. They saw spears in the Dragonborn trailer. They assumed that spears would be spears. Bethesda had a lot of time to set the record straight and let people know what they were getting. I think if they had, with the spears and dragon riding, people would have been a lot more positive about the dlc.

Unicorn

The issues has never been the animations AFAIK its been a difficulty with the engine recognizing stabbing actions properly.
Then make the hit box or hit animation the same as sword or shield bash and kill physics as arrows. Fukken there's concessions that wouldn't compromise the end result.

Bah!

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Did some looking around since I have no self control.

Spears are in fact arrows and they are equivalent to steel arrows in damage. They also have very limited range of about 10ft.

Really? Why include it at all if they're just going to half-ass it?

The issues has never been the animations AFAIK its been a difficulty with the engine recognizing stabbing actions properly.
That sounds ridiculous. I am not doubting/sassing you. But, it just sounds stupid. Fucking Mount and Blade could pull it off. Wasn't shooting/throwing/stabbing in Fallout? How can they have regressed?

That sounds ridiculous. I am not doubting/sassing you. But, it just sounds stupid. Fucking Mount and Blade could pull it off. Wasn't shooting/throwing/stabbing in Fallout? How can they have regressed?

I don't think it was.

Basically, they need to rework their combat system for TES VI. Need to. Take a look at Dishonored if they have to.

EDIT: Lol, I go outside to talk to the second councilor. First time the game hardlocks right as I approach him. The second time I speak to him, and all of a sudden the corpse of a Reaver Lord crashes to the ground next to us.

I think projectiles behave differently than an object held in a characters hand. I honestly don't know what the real issue is I'm just relaying what I've read from modders. I imagine the way they got around it with the Rieklings is they made the spears a part of the models itself.

Its a really stupid issue to be having six years after Oblivion came out especially considering Morrowind had spears in it and it was built with Gamebryo v1. I've always been curious what exactly changed that made spears suddenly not viable. I'd like to think that after the crazy amount of money they've made off Skyrim that they will take the time and money to either find a new engine or build one themselves that better suits their needs.

Lakitu

st5fu
lol...
the Riekling tribe that I am head of now seems to be turning up everywhere I go. They even helped me take down a dragon priest. So awesome.

Coverly

My wife is missing.. again.
The first time it happened I thought it was a glitch. After a while she appeared by all by herself again. Later I was going through my notes section and finally see the ransom note that apparently didn't matter anymore.

Now she's gone again and I don't have a ransom note. Is the place she's being held always random or is it always in the same location? Is there a mod where it could add some human cages to my house so I can place my wife and children there so they don't go anywhere?

The first time it happened I thought it was a glitch. After a while she appeared by all by herself again. Later I was going through my notes section and finally see the ransom note that apparently didn't matter anymore.

Now she's gone again and I don't have a ransom note. Is the place she's being held always random or is it always in the same location? Is there a mod where it could add some human cages to my house so I can place my wife and children there so they don't go anywhere?
I got several radiant quests where my wife was kidnapped and it was always in a different location.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think it was.

Basically, they need to rework their combat system for TES VI. Need to. Take a look at Dishonored if they have to.

Slightly off topic but i hope they remodel the combat system to be more like, say, Assassin's Creed (of course since TES is designed for the first person view, and it is important for immersion, AC's system might not be the best fit). This would allow the character's skill play an important role, while avoiding the issue Morrowind had, namely "I hit it but i didn't, wat?" (Or "I didn't hit it but scored a hit anyway, wat?").

Obviously, she is playing Skyrim in some dark cellar or something.

Slightly off topic but i hope they remodel the combat system to be more like, say, Assassin's Creed (of course since TES is designed for the first person view, and it is important for immersion, AC's system might not be the best fit). This would allow the character's skill play an important role, while avoiding the issue Morrowind had, namely "I hit it but i didn't, wat?" (Or "I didn't hit it but scored a hit anyway, wat?").

Nothing like AC, please. :(

Woorloog

Banned
Nothing like AC, please. :(

AC1 or 2, not Brotherhood or later. Parrying, blocking and dodging should be important, no instagibbing, timed or not. (EDIT don't know why i mentioned this, as if it would make the system acceptable to you if you don't like it)
But as i noted, not the best system for a first person game. First person and target locking/selection don't quite go well togheter. And pausing systems, like VATS in FO3/FONV stops the flow of combat.
Still, character skills should be the one that matters, not the player's (obviously positioning etc. are player skills but they're indirect things when it comes to whether you succeed or not).

Wonder what kinda skill system would work from first person, without pausing and without being clumsy. Without having the issue Morrowind had.
EDIT: Probably some hybrid beetween Oblivion/Skyrim and Morrowind: Whenever the player scores a hit (well, whenever the strike is going to hit the target), the game rolls a die to determine whether damage was done, and if it was, the damage depends on how player swung the weapon (just like in Morrowind, fast hit is low damage and slow hit is high damage, depending on weapon of course, and STR modifying it: STR under 50 dealing less damage and over 50 is more damage).
EDIT and there needs to be good visual feedbacks as to why the hit didn't do damage: no damage makes the blow look clumsy, slow, being dodged or glancing off armor.

AC1 or 2, not Brotherhood or later. Parrying, blocking and dodging should be important, no instagibbing, timed or not. (EDIT don't know why i mentioned this, as if it would make the system acceptable to you if you don't like it)
But as i noted, not the best system for a first person game. First person and target locking/selection don't quite go well togheter. And pausing systems, like VATS in FO3/FONV stops the flow of combat.
Still, character skills should be the one that matters, not the player's (obviously positioning etc. are player skills but they're indirect things when it comes to whether you succeed or not).

Wonder what kinda skill system would work from first person, without pausing and without being clumsy. Without having the issue Morrowind had.
EDIT: Probably some hybrid beetween Oblivion/Skyrim and Morrowind: Whenever the player scores a hit (well, whenever the strike is going to hit the target), the game rolls a die to determine whether damage was done, and if it was, the damage depends on how player swung the weapon (just like in Morrowind, fast hit is low damage and slow hit is high damage, depending on weapon of course, and STR modifying it: STR under 50 dealing less damage and over 50 is more damage).
EDIT and there needs to be good visual feedbacks as to why the hit didn't do damage: no damage makes the blow look clumsy, slow, being dodged or glancing off armor.

Dice rolls are okay to an extent,but if I swing the sword at a dude right in front of me, I should hit him. Let the dice rolls determine exactly how much damage I do (by having the player start with basic techniques which do only minimal damage, and learning more and more as his skill progresses. Maybe extra techniques like bypassing armor and such would be cool too) and my percentage of scoring a critical hit.

Blocking should be more important. Get more stagger in there when you're hit. But make the player able to raise his shield more quickly. It sucks when you're playing on master and you can't get your shield up in time to block an attack because the game's still going crazy trying to animate your sword swings.

Coverly

I got several radiant quests where my wife was kidnapped and it was always in a different location.

Crap. I guess I'll just that mod where you can marry a lot of people and just replace the wife everytime she gets kidnapped. Probably at some point there will be a wife in every cave for me to rescue.

Woorloog said:

hmm.. maybe I'll ask her what mods she's using.

I would love an Elder Scrolls game with AC's combat and movement. Particularly movement, can you imagine free-running over some of the places in game?

Morrowind has the best combat of all Elder Scroll games.

Whether your preference is stat-based hit-and-miss combat or action-RPG combat, Morrowind is superior in neither field. Daggerfall is superior in the former, Skyrim in the latter.

Wow, this sounds awful. Is this part of Hearthfire? I've heard bandits can also break in and kill people in your household, is that true? If so I'm staying far away from those houses.

Wow, this sounds awful. Is this part of Hearthfire? I've heard bandits can also break in and kill people in your household, is that true? If so I'm staying far away from those houses.

Bandits can attack the house, and it's not uncommon for them to take your kids/spouse for ransom if you're living in a built house. It doesn't happen if you're living in a city.

It's worse when giants attack and kill your cow.
But it IS cool when skeevers infest the basement and your kid that you gave a Glass Dagger to runs down there and kills them for you.

It would also be kind of immersion-breaking if my Daedric-clad warrior-woman of a spouse gets kidnapped by a gang of lousy bandits. How often do kidnappings happen? Enough to be a nuisance?

Skyrim neeeeeeds an Extreme Mode. Would be so great. (it's not like this game isn't long enough already, but i would love it anyway)

also thanks for that Youtube link, I ,unlike most people, LOVE SPOILERS...

I need to stop playing Halo 4 and get back to this.

I'm just playing Dark Souls for the first time so I'd love it if future Elder Scrolls games adopted a more Dark Souls feel for combat. Not neceassarily in the difficulty, but just in being able to lock on to enemies and having more importance on blocking and timing your attacks.

Having started playing Skyrim a bunch after just getting Dawnguard and Hearthfire I'm reminded how boring the melee combat can get when things get hectic. Its just like you're waving your sword at somebody really fast until they die.

It would also be kind of immersion-breaking if my Daedric-clad warrior-woman of a spouse gets kidnapped by a gang of lousy bandits. How often do kidnappings happen? Enough to be a nuisance?

Personally, I've never had a successful kidnapping go down. The character that I had a full house with kids in it was a single mother, and that profile had 1 giant attack which killed the cow, and 2 bandit attacks where the bandits were stupid enough to try to kidnap my kids as I was standing a few feet away sharpening my sword. I don't know exactly what happens if they're successful.

Woorloog

Banned
Morrowind has the best combat of all Elder Scroll games.

I'd love to have Morrowind's system again but with better visual feedback, ie misses are clearly shown as misses as i stated above. Same applies to hits.

Whether your preference is stat-based hit-and-miss combat or action-RPG combat, Morrowind is superior in neither field. Daggerfall is superior in the former, Skyrim in the latter.
How did Daggerfall combat work?
I find Morrowind pretty good middle ground.
I wouldn't mind even more stat-based system as long as immersion, eh, first person works just fine. And.. I don't want to see is a system where you just auto-attack everything, first person or not. I should be the one to decide when and how to attack but my character's skill (vs enemy defense of course) decides whether i do damage or not.

Oh and both Oblivion's and Skyrim's combat suck even as ARPGs. They're just so damn boring. If we just had the ability to determine HOW we attack, like in Morrowind (slash, thrust or chop), combine that with power attacks and more intelligent AI and more differences beetween weapons, that would be pretty good action RPG combat system.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'd love to have Morrowind's system again but with better visual feedback, ie misses are clearly shown as misses as i stated above. Same applies to hits.

How did Daggerfall combat work?
I find Morrowind pretty good middle ground.
I wouldn't mind even more stat-based system as long as immersion, eh, first person works just fine. And.. I don't want to see is a system where you just auto-attack everything, first person or not. I should be the one to decide when and how to attack but my character's skill (vs enemy defense of course) decides whether i do damage or not.

Oh and both Oblivion's and Skyrim's combat suck even as ARPGs. They're just so damn boring. If we just had the ability to determine HOW we attack, like in Morrowind (slash, thrust or chop), combine that with power attacks and more intelligent AI and more differences beetween weapons, that would be pretty good action RPG combat system.

I played Daggerfall a lot as a kid. I could never figure out how to attack...

:S

Trigger

I'm done with the main quest of the DLC and I'm somewhat underwhelmed.

I knew Miraak probably wasn't going to last past the main quest, but the fight with him wasn't particularly hard.

Also: I don't understand why he was working with the daedra. I was distracted while playing the earlier quests so I missed that bit of backstory.

I still enjoyed myself though. I've returned to the main land, but I'll probably finish off the side quests now.

Lakitu

st5fu
Did I imagine reading this?
I read that you could use dragon souls to unlock perks after you completed the main quest. I've beaten the MQ but all it let's me do is re-spec.

Although, I suppose it could have been someone mentioning a mod. Still... the reward is good.

Vire

Hmm... I need a bit of help.

I need one more Dragon Soul to progress in the main quest line
Last level of Bend Will Shout
. So I went back to Skyrim to kill some dragons, but it's not absorbing their souls.

What do I do? :(

lingiii

Banned
Hmm... I need a bit of help.

I need one more Dragon Soul to progress in the main quest line
Last level of Bend Will Shout
. So I went back to Skyrim to kill some dragons, but it's not absorbing their souls.

What do I do? :(

Oh man that sucks. That happened to me CONSTANTLY when I first played, but it seems to have fixed for me since the kinect-adding patch.

Vire

Oh man that sucks. That happened to me CONSTANTLY when I first played, but it seems to have fixed for me since the kinect-adding patch.

DLC Redeemed! I was just wandering around Solstheim and came across an Ancient Dragon, he does an insane amount of damage, but luckily a little Riekling came and tanked the dragon. LOL.

Thank god I did that quest earlier with them. That was hilarious.

Got the soul also.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm stuck on the Unearthed quest.
After our third attempt at excavating had gone awry, I dealt with some more Draugr. I've cleared the place out but there's a gate that I can't seem to open which has an important item of value on a pedestal. There are no pull chains for that particular gate but the only thing I can think of it somehow involving the floor which seems to be pressure sensitive or something.
Please help.

kidko

Question about Dawnguard:
How do you use the summon dragon shout you earn after travelling to that other soul-dimension place? Nothing happens when I use it. If it gets unlocked via quest, please don't spoil it, just tell me so, thanks!

Question about Dawnguard:
How do you use the summon dragon shout you earn after travelling to that other soul-dimension place? Nothing happens when I use it. If it gets unlocked via quest, please don't spoil it, just tell me so, thanks!

You need the three words
Durnehviir teaches you one each time you use the shout in Skyrim, he'll be flying around for a while and then disappear. After he teaches you the third word, you can summon him whenever outside of a city as long as the place you are aiming for is big enough for him to materialize this includes interior cells as well, as long as there's enough space. Also, he counts as a summon, if you summon him and then conjure an Atronarch he'll disappear.

Anyone gone through the Benkongerike dungeon yet? I got to a room where I have to align 4 pillars with the symbols above them but it will not let me activate the pillars at all.

Edit: exited out and then re-entered and it worked. Part of that section failed to load the first time (some walls) so that must have been the issue since everything loaded the second time.

kidko

You need the three words
Durnehviir teaches you one each time you use the shout in Skyrim, he'll be flying around for a while and then disappear. After he teaches you the third word, you can summon him whenever outside of a city as long as the place you are aiming for is big enough for him to materialize this includes interior cells as well, as long as there's enough space. Also, he counts as a summon, if you summon him and then conjure an Atronarch he'll disappear.

Thanks for your help.
So I have the first word. You're saying that he should appear when I use that and teach me another one? Or will he appear during the quest line? I'm in the new mountainous area doing the snow elf Aureil pilgrimage... should I be able to have all three words by now? I've never seen him flying around.

Top Bottom