• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Thanks for your help.
So I have the first word. You're saying that he should appear when I use that and teach me another one? Or will he appear during the quest line? I'm in the new mountainous area doing the snow elf Aureil pilgrimage... should I be able to have all three words by now? I've never seen him flying around.

You have to
use the first word while outside in Skyrim, He'll talk to you for a bit, teach you a new word and go flying. This repeats until you have the three words, then you can use the full shout and summon him whenever you want.

GhaleonEB

Got to the island on my new character, when she was level 12 (playing on Master). Did my intro lap around the island, had a few run ins with the locals.

I'm heading off the island tonight to get Unrelenting Forge up to level 3. The locals are hilariously brutal, but I love it. One and two hit kills all over. Gonna be a steep curve but a fun one to clear.

Spotted lots of locations to check out - most of which I stayed away from. Just doing a scouting run. The game has me almost as enthralled now as it did when it first came out.

Vire

Is there a comprehensive guide anywhere? I just beat the main quest and I'd like to do all the side quests.

GhaleonEB

I know there's scaling in Skyrim. But it's pretty clear to me that Solstheim is set pretty damn high. Granted, I'm playing on Master. I'm doing my first quest in the expansion now, in Raven Rock Mine. I started the mine at level 14, I'm at level 16 now. And fighting Draugr Wights, Scourge and now two freaking Deathlords. Sniping, hiding and fus-roh-dahing galore. It's taken me over an hour to inch my way through the mine so far and I'm pretty sure I've got a ways to go.

Loving every minute of it. Tough as hell but so rewarding. And I just found an ebony axe. At level 16. w00t

Volimar

So, I finished Arniel's Endeavor. It feels like it kind of fell flat at the end there.
What's the deal with Arniel's shade? Why can I summon him, but he won't speak to me. It just feels like there was meant to be more to it than this. It was nice to revisit the loss of the dwemer again though.

So, I finished Arniel's Endeavor. It feels like it kind of fell flat at the end there.
What's the deal with Arniel's shade? Why can I summon him, but he won't speak to me. It just feels like there was meant to be more to it than this. It was nice to revisit the loss of the dwemer again though.

Itt
Arniel zero summed like the Dwemer did, that is ceased to exist but his shadow was bound to you, just that, his shadow not his persona.

Hazanko

Banned
After reading the Skyrim forums I bought Dragonborn, I'm glad I did! It's wonderful and I hated Dawnguard to the point of deleting it but Dragonborn has made up for it. Plus it includes the best character I've come across.

Jinjo

Fuuuuuuuu... So I apparently lost Auriel's bow somewhere. Thought I put it in my house, but it isn't there. Last save where I do have it is 7 hours ago, which is pre-appearance change & still a vampire. So I have 2 options, suck up the loss or go back 7 hours meaning I have to complete most of dragonborn DLC again. :/

Can't imagine I accidently lost/sold it..

GhaleonEB

Question: is there an arcane enchanter in Raven Rock? The only one I can find is deep in a nearby dungeon, and it's a long trip in and out of it.

Book spoiler: holy shit at the
Lusty Argonian Maid Folio Edition. :lol

Lurkers....ouch. Ouch!

Volimar

Fuuuuuuuu... So I apparently lost Auriel's bow somewhere. Thought I put it in my house, but it isn't there. Last save where I do have it is 7 hours ago, which is pre-appearance change & still a vampire. So I have 2 options, suck up the loss or go back 7 hours meaning I have to complete most of dragonborn DLC again. :/

Can't imagine I accidently lost/sold it..

You might have put it on a rack and it ended up falling through the floor. Happened to me with the rune hammer.

Jinjo

You might have put it on a rack and it ended up falling through the floor. Happened to me with the rune hammer.

Yeah, seems likely. The weapon racks are all kinda glitchy. Last time I had it I was messing with armor/weapons in my house. It sucks though, cause there's no way getting it back right? (well aside from that old save, but that's way too far back)

Thanks for your help.
So I have the first word. You're saying that he should appear when I use that and teach me another one? Or will he appear during the quest line? I'm in the new mountainous area doing the snow elf Aureil pilgrimage... should I be able to have all three words by now? I've never seen him flying around.
It's confusing what you're asking. If you're talking about the shout to summon Durnehviir, be aware that it functions exactly as a summon: you have to point it at the ground at the same distance you'd summon an Atronach. If you're talking about Soul Tear, he teaches you one word of that each of the first three times he's summoned.

I know there's scaling in Skyrim. But it's pretty clear to me that Solstheim is set pretty damn high. Granted, I'm playing on Master. I'm doing my first quest in the expansion now, in Raven Rock Mine. I started the mine at level 14, I'm at level 16 now. And fighting Draugr Wights, Scourge and now two freaking Deathlords. Sniping, hiding and fus-roh-dahing galore. It's taken me over an hour to inch my way through the mine so far and I'm pretty sure I've got a ways to go.

Loving every minute of it. Tough as hell but so rewarding. And I just found an ebony axe. At level 16. w00t

Deathlords at level 16? Goddamn. When I played Raven Rock Mine, I breezed right through. Does Adept vs. Master really make that much of a difference?

Also, on a different note, I asked for Oblivion for Christmas. Should be pretty much the only thing I get. Wise decision?

GhaleonEB

Deathlords at level 16? Goddamn. When I played Raven Rock Mine, I breezed right through. Does Adept vs. Master really make that much of a difference?

Also, on a different note, I asked for Oblivion for Christmas. Should be pretty much the only thing I get. Wise decision?

I don't think difficulty impacts what kinds of enemies shows up, just how tough they are. With Master you take double damage and deal half. Very punishing, but it can be rewarding to conquer the steep curve early on. So far I'm spending most of my time running away from or sniping enemies to get my skills up. Slow going, but I'm starting to mount the curve a bit.

Enemy spoiler: I love that
level 3 Unrelenting Forge squishes the hopper bugs. :lol

Here's the list of what I think Oblivion does better than Skyrim:

The quality of the quests peaks much higher.

The Dark Brotherhood in particular is great. But overall, that's about it. All the game systems - stealth, loot/world scaling, player leveling and customization, crime, crafting and so on are much better in Skyrim than Oblivion. And especially the art. And Skyrim is just a much, much richer world to be in. You will see the skeleton of where Skyrim came from in Oblivion - all the pieces are there. But they just don't gel in a way that's nearly as compelling.

That said, I played the hell out of it. 200+ hours. But I think going from Skyrim to Oblivion would be rough. (All this assumes console version...with the PC mod it to hell and back and it will be great.)

Oh man, hearing that silt strider cry as I was peaking over a hill, combined with the ash landscape and Morrowind soundtrack really gave me goosebumps... As much as I love Oblivion and Skyrim, Morrowind's atmosphere had something magical that just hasn't been replicated.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh man, hearing that silt strider cry as I was peaking over a hill, combined with the ash landscape and Morrowind soundtrack really gave me goosebumps... As much as I love Oblivion and Skyrim, Morrowind's atmosphere had something magical that just hasn't been replicated.

It felt like it could be real yet it was alien, fantastic too. No game has replicated that yet. Not scifi, not fantasy.

Question: is there an arcane enchanter in Raven Rock? The only one I can find is deep in a nearby dungeon, and it's a long trip in and out of it.

Book spoiler: holy shit at the
Lusty Argonian Maid Folio Edition. :lol

Lurkers....ouch. Ouch!

There's one in the Councilor's house.

Also, disappointed at dragon riding. Is there a way to direct a dragon to a custom waypoint without fast traveling? I'd love to just fly everywhere on a dragon.

Though I suppose it did just give me the battle of a lifetime.

I'll briefly sketch the situation. I'm level 56, sword and board, bad-ass Nord motherfucker. Dragonborn of legend, all that fancy business. I discovered the ruins of Castle Karstaag and realized there'd be something worthwhile to do in there. After some exploration I
found the skull of Karstaag in a nearby cave
. After finishing the main quest I travelled around Solstheim, righting wrongs and finishing my sidequests, gathering insane amounts of loot in the meantime. Crafted a full set of Stahlrim armor, I think it's the toughest in the game. But anyway, my story.

I'm exploring the north part of Solstheim, near the coast, and decide to swim to a few of the nearby islands. I discover a Riekling lair and wipe it out, aided by a band of helpful Riekling tribekin. And then I see him. On an island a bit further to the north. A dragon, just sitting there, eying me. I pick up my bow and fire. The beast lifts off and comes at me. I try forcing him down with Dragonrend, but he flies off into the distance instead. I shrug and head towards his little island, discovering his dragon mound and a lot of horkers. He must've been hungry.

As I head back for the coast, I see my friend the Elder Dragon approach again. This time I'm ready, and I use the fully leveled Bend Will shout on him. He sets down. "I am yours to command", he says. So I climb on his back and fly a few laps, trying to get the hang of this dragon riding thing. I ultimately head for Castle Karstaag, as I still have unfinished business there.

Okay, do not read this if you want to be spoiled on a small unmarked sidequest. If you don't care, go ahead.

The dragon sets down near the ruins, which have an open roof. I enter, and notice the winged behemoth is now flying overhead, still friendly. I head towards
Karstaag's throne and place his skull upon the ice
. Right at that point, my Bend Will shout wears off on the dragon, and the battle music starts to play. I get thrown backwards because of an energy explosion at the throne. The spectral image of a huge frost giant steps forward,
all that remains of King Karstaag. He's not happy I awoke him from his slumber
. I start hacking away at him, but the lumbering giant whittles my health down to about one quarter with just one stomp of his mighty foot. I stumble backwards, slowed down by his frost cloak. My stamina is being drained quicker than I can count.

Meanwhile, the dragon is still flying overhead, occasionally belching fire at the two of us. My spectral adversary bellows and summons several Ice Wraiths to his aid. As I'm busy fighting them, the dragon sets down and engages Karstaag. With difficulty, I dispatch the Wraiths and gulp down a few health and stamina potions. I maneuver myself next to the dragon and use Bend Will on him again. Now the two of us are fighting this vengeful frost giant, but we're still barely making a dent. I throw my Stalhrim weapon aside and equip
Meeraak's sword
: it's Absorb Stamina enchantment might come in handy. Nice role-playing opportunity for my character too, bonding with such an 'evil' blade. We hack away at Karstaag until the giant roars again, and I fly backwards, hitting the wall. The dragon lifts off, the Bend Will enchantment once again broken.

I drink a few more potions, raise my shield and charge into the angry giant, who momentarily staggers back. The dragon sets down next to us. Karstaag's frost cloak is tearing us to pieces, I literally have to stop combat every ten seconds to consume another potion. But slowly, the spirit's health is decreasing. More Ice Wraiths join the fray, but they're easily dealt with. Karstaag is preoccupied with fighting the dragon, but switches targets when I unleash a Soul Tear shout on him, sapping about a third of his remaining health. I take his blow and let loose a flurry of quick strikes with my serpent-like blade. The giant stomps the ground one last time and then explodes in another flash of energy. I get pushed backward again as a pool of spirit essence forms at my feet. I turn towards the elder dragon, prepared to finish it off next, but Karstaag's final blast of energy has done the job for me. The dragon wails and slumps on the ground, its flesh burning away as I absorb its soul.

As I step back outside, I realize I barely got any loot from that battle, and I only have two health potions left. It'll be a long trek home. But dammit, it was fun.

Xevren

For original Skyrim. What's this smithing prepatch giltch everyone is talking about?

Going to assume that it's the whole leveling up via daggers thing, since they ended up patching that so daggers don't give as much anymore.

Slermy

After reading the Skyrim forums I bought Dragonborn, I'm glad I did! It's wonderful and I hated Dawnguard to the point of deleting it but Dragonborn has made up for it. Plus it includes the best character I've come across.

Is it
Neloth
? I love that guy. Great writing and voice acting. Very well written.

Here's the list of what I think Oblivion does better than Skyrim:

The quality of the quests peaks much higher.

The Dark Brotherhood in particular is great. But overall, that's about it. All the game systems - stealth, loot/world scaling, player leveling and customization, crime, crafting and so on are much better in Skyrim than Oblivion. And especially the art. And Skyrim is just a much, much richer world to be in. You will see the skeleton of where Skyrim came from in Oblivion - all the pieces are there. But they just don't gel in a way that's nearly as compelling.

That said, I played the hell out of it. 200+ hours. But I think going from Skyrim to Oblivion would be rough. (All this assumes console version...with the PC mod it to hell and back and it will be great.)

I'd also ad a few more things:

It also still has some great vistas.

I also prefer the bow mechanics in Oblivion to Skyrim. You actually need to arch your arrows to hit the target, in Skyrim I always seem to need to undershoot my target for precision shooting. Plus, you can cast with a bow in hand, which I still miss.

Also, it has Shivering Isles, which I adored.

In general though, I'd agree that starting in Skyrim and going to Oblivion would be rough.

For original Skyrim. What's this smithing prepatch giltch everyone is talking about?

I'm not aware of a glitch, but the way smithing leveled up did change. You can no longer make thousands of iron daggers and max out smithing in an hour.

GhaleonEB

I also prefer the bow mechanics in Oblivion to Skyrim. You actually need to arch your arrows to hit the target, in Skyrim I always seem to need to undershoot my target for precision shooting. Plus, you can cast with a bow in hand, which I still miss.

It's been a long time since I played Oblivion, but I don't remember arching my shots much; in Skyrim there's a definite arc to the arrow trajectory to learn. I might go back and play Oblivion for a bit to remind myself. Getting mastery over that at range, learning to lead targets, and archery in general being more powerful than it was in Oblivion are why I love being an archer in Skyrim. (The kill cams are now a great bonus as well.)

Dragonborn is pretty awesome so far, but it's got a lot of memory management issues on the 360. Out in the ash lands, the shadows on the ashes draw in about 15 feet from our view. It's so distracting I'd rather the shadows not be there, as it really takes away from the visual immersion. In general Skyrim as a whole does a good job at masking the fade in, so this really jumps out.

Issues that were once in Skyrim proper but later mostly patched out abound. Sound effects are often delayed by several seconds, such as picking plants; the sound for that can play up to five seconds later. But it affects gameplay as well. I've had times when it's been really important to use Unrelenting Force right now, but the shout wouldn't load in. I'd hold the button and release, then run away, and have the shout pop out randomly some 10-15 seconds later (just now in the Temple of Miraak, fighting the last battle).

The time from switching between my bow and dagger is also much longer when on Solstheim. When enemies are nearly dead, I swap to the dagger for finishing. But often, there's such a long delay before my dagger is out, the enemy is back on their feet again first. Which is bad news on Master. On one fight, my dagger/magic hands didn't load visually at all, and I ran around with no visible hands for about 30 seconds before they loaded in. I was fighting ash spawn outside of Raven Rock, with some guards, so the distractions kept me alive long enough. But otherwise I'd have been toast. I'd say I've died upwards of 10 times due to loading issues like this.

Hopefully a subsequent patch will improve performance as they did with Skyrim.

Just bought the game, started up some test characters last night to get a feel for the mechanics.

For my full character I'm deciding on either
  • a stealthy guy who uses a bow for long distance and large blunt two handed weapons for everything else (love the animation for swinging it) or
  • a conjuration guy who summons full suits of armor and whatnot, possibly minions too

I'm not doing any enchanting and alchemy and all that. I heard that a lot has changed, but you all have played a while, you have any idea which might be more fun for this game? Any skills you suggest to definitely avoid?

GhaleonEB

Just bought the game, started up some test characters last night to get a feel for the mechanics.

• a stealthy guy who uses a bow for long distance and large blunt two handed weapons for everything else (love the animation for swinging it) or
  • a conjuration guy who summons full suits of armor and whatnot, possibly minions too

I'm not doing any enchanting and alchemy and all that. I heard that a lot has changed, but you all have played a while, you have any idea which might be more fun for this game? Any skills you suggest to definitely avoid?

A lot of your power and potential stems from crafting. At the very least, you should work smithing up to level 60 so you can improve enchanted items.

Archery is very fun. Stealth/archery and backstabbing with daggers make for a fantastic combination. (Backstab perks are on the Stealth perk tree - up to 15x damage from sneak.). I like to mix Illusion and Alchemy into my archery builds. Illusion is good for a stealthy character: Muffle to move more quietly, and Calm/Frenzy spells to make enemies fight one another or enable stealth attacks. (I call that the Puppet Master build.)

I use Alchemy to make poisons for the arrows to add punch, and for paralysis and invisibility potions when I get caught or want to try a different approach. Archery can work without it just fine, I just find it a fun set of extras.

So long as you have some kind of ranged attacks, just about any kind of build will be viable. Can't say I'd avoid any skills - just find complimentary ones to the play style you are after.

Balya

You just make Iron Daggers over and over to level up smithing. It still works up to a point but at higher levels now I think you'd want to switch to jewelery or something else more expensive.

A lot of your power and potential stems from crafting. At the very least, you should work smithing up to level 60 so you can improve enchanted items.

Archery is very fun. Stealth/archery and backstabbing with daggers make for a fantastic combination. (Backstab perks are on the Stealth perk tree - up to 15x damage from sneak.). I like to mix Illusion and Alchemy into my archery builds. Illusion is good for a stealthy character: Muffle to move more quietly, and Calm/Frenzy spells to make enemies fight one another or enable stealth attacks. (I call that the Puppet Master build.)

I use Alchemy to make poisons for the arrows to add punch, and for paralysis and invisibility potions when I get caught or want to try a different approach. Archery can work without it just fine, I just find it a fun set of extras.

So long as you have some kind of ranged attacks, just about any kind of build will be viable. Can't say I'd avoid any skills - just find complimentary ones to the play style you are after.

Archery is the best thing ever, but I can't say I've ever found too much use for Illusion. It sounds great in theory, but I just find it too difficult to get to the good stuff. I much prefer Conjuration and Restoration when using magic. Conjuration to me seems like by far the best school. Destruction actually seems weak in comparison.

Slermy

Archery is the best thing ever, but I can't say I've ever found too much use for Illusion. It sounds great in theory, but I just find it too difficult to get to the good stuff. I much prefer Conjuration and Restoration when using magic. Conjuration to me seems like by far the best school. Destruction actually seems weak in comparison.

I'm with GhaleonEB on Illusion, it's pretty powerful. I actually play a Conjurer/Illusionist/Marksman. Gives me a lot of options for tackling enemy encounters, which I find very rewarding.

The trick with Illusion is that you need to focus on it from the get-go, otherwise the enemies will outlevel your spells, and they'll never be effective until you master it. Once you get the ability to affect the undead and automatons, it's insanely powerful, and a lot of fun.

Avoiding Enchanting and Alchemy is fine, but I'd at least consider dabbling in smithing a bit. Being able to improve your weapons/armor makes a difference.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I want to play:(

Maybe I need to rebuy the game on PC:(

Doing every side thing available before beating the story.

Absolutely loving it so far. I went full Stalhrim for everything. I love having new armor to make and enchant.

I read there is a bug that can block you from learning how to craft with it though.

To avoid it, minor spoilers
after rescuing the staal villagers, and getting thanks and all that, the woodworker and some lady will be talking about the smith going missing. IF YOU INTERRUPT EITHER OF THEM, the quest wont activate. Listen for about 5 seconds until the Misc quest marker shows up then talk to the woodworker. To make sure you dont miss out, after you save them and get thanks, teleport to Raven Rock, then right back to the village and they should be near the center of town having the conversation.

It's been a long time since I played Oblivion, but I don't remember arching my shots much; in Skyrim there's a definite arc to the arrow trajectory to learn. I might go back and play Oblivion for a bit to remind myself. Getting mastery over that at range, learning to lead targets, and archery in general being more powerful than it was in Oblivion are why I love being an archer in Skyrim. (The kill cams are now a great bonus as well.)

Dragonborn is pretty awesome so far, but it's got a lot of memory management issues on the 360. Out in the ash lands, the shadows on the ashes draw in about 15 feet from our view. It's so distracting I'd rather the shadows not be there, as it really takes away from the visual immersion. In general Skyrim as a whole does a good job at masking the fade in, so this really jumps out.

Issues that were once in Skyrim proper but later mostly patched out abound. Sound effects are often delayed by several seconds, such as picking plants; the sound for that can play up to five seconds later. But it affects gameplay as well. I've had times when it's been really important to use Unrelenting Force right now, but the shout wouldn't load in. I'd hold the button and release, then run away, and have the shout pop out randomly some 10-15 seconds later (just now in the Temple of Miraak, fighting the last battle).

The time from switching between my bow and dagger is also much longer when on Solstheim. When enemies are nearly dead, I swap to the dagger for finishing. But often, there's such a long delay before my dagger is out, the enemy is back on their feet again first. Which is bad news on Master. On one fight, my dagger/magic hands didn't load visually at all, and I ran around with no visible hands for about 30 seconds before they loaded in. I was fighting ash spawn outside of Raven Rock, with some guards, so the distractions kept me alive long enough. But otherwise I'd have been toast. I'd say I've died upwards of 10 times due to loading issues like this.

Hopefully a subsequent patch will improve performance as they did with Skyrim.

I've noticed this, too. It's especially prevalent in the Ashlands.

Can't wait to get this on PC and install a mod that'll make dragons actually flyable.

Jinjo

Doing every side thing available before beating the story.

Absolutely loving it so far. I went full Stalhrim for everything. I love having new armor to make and enchant.

I read there is a bug that can block you from learning how to craft with it though.

To avoid it, minor spoilers
after rescuing the staal villagers, and getting thanks and all that, the woodworker and some lady will be talking about the smith going missing. IF YOU INTERRUPT EITHER OF THEM, the quest wont activate. Listen for about 5 seconds until the Misc quest marker shows up then talk to the woodworker. To make sure you dont miss out, after you save them and get thanks, teleport to Raven Rock, then right back to the village and they should be near the center of town having the conversation.
Damn, I was wondering why that quest didn't trigger. The smith is just chilling in my village. That sucks. I just went back to a 7-hour save to get my Ariel's Bow back, can't do that again (neither do I have a save before saving the Skaal villagers anymore :(). I feel like Dragonborn DLC is kinda glitchy. Weapons dissappearing, loading seems to take a ton longer, weapon switching not as immediate, quest bugs. Guess I'll just have to buy Stalhrim armor and get the achievement with my second (non-smithing) character...

GhaleonEB

I'm with GhaleonEB on Illusion, it's pretty powerful. I actually play a Conjurer/Illusionist/Marksman. Gives me a lot of options for tackling enemy encounters, which I find very rewarding.

The trick with Illusion is that you need to focus on it from the get-go, otherwise the enemies will outlevel your spells, and they'll never be effective until you master it. Once you get the ability to affect the undead and automatons, it's insanely powerful, and a lot of fun.

Avoiding Enchanting and Alchemy is fine, but I'd at least consider dabbling in smithing a bit. Being able to improve your weapons/armor makes a difference.

Yup, this is absolutely the key. I find the tipping point getting it to 50, when you upgrade from Fury to Frenzy. It's effective against much higher enemies, and it's area effect, so you can get entire rooms going after each other rather than targeting individuals. The perks to boost them help a lot as well.

I love having Calm on one hand and Frenzy on the other. I've had fights where I'm sitting out the battle just pulling strings to have everyone maul one another, and if anyone runs my way, I hit them with Calm, turn'em around and they go back into the thick of it. Then I sneak up and slit the throat of the one dude who lived to the end. Lucky dude.

I just clearned my first randomly plunged into dungeon, Damphall Mine. Bethesda definitely turned their dungeon designs up a few notches, it was a fantastic romp. I used Fury a lot, and slit more than a few throats. I'm level 23 in my character now and starting to make some headway up the Master difficulty curve, and the play style is starting to click and become powerful. It's my favorite stretch of time when building a character.

Too early to say if this is as big an upgrade from Skyrim as Shivering Isles was to Oblivion, but it's pretty damn great. And I've barely scratched the surface of the island, or the main quest.

Feeling really pathetic right now :(

I decided to do this new playthrough on Master deficulty all the way and while encounters have been very ploted-out due to just about all bandit leaders or direct combat with a group of bandits meant one-hit kills on me; I'm fine with this... I know that once I get my Alchemy/Enchanting/Smithing all to 100 percent, I should be good. It seems that this is going to take a while on Master since I'm at level 23 right now and barely half way there. The thing that has me down is that I'm at the soul gem filling phase to feed my iron daggers but finding creaters aint easy. Mud crabs hand my ass to to me in four hits and frost spiders in the wild go terminator on me :( I've even resorted into sneeking into villages at night and murdering chickens which I've never done in past playthroughs but even that is proving to be challenging as the shits go into turbo mode only after I cast my time-limited soul trap spell on them; you never quite feel you've hit rock bottom till your chasing down a chicken in the middle of the night because you want to claim its soul.

Who knew by the way that a pack of wolves would be more survivable than a single mud crab.

Right, next character: a Dunmer refugee in Windhelm who's proficient in Conjuration and fights with conjured weapons. Eventually saves up enough to head to Solstheim.

Can you head to the island before completing a certain part of the main quest? No interest in playing a Dragonborn character.

Slermy

Feeling really pathetic right now :(

I decided to do this new playthrough on Master deficulty all the way and while encounters have been very ploted-out due to just about all bandit leaders or direct combat with a group of bandits meant one-hit kills on me; I'm fine with this... I know that once I get my Alchemy/Enchanting/Smithing all to 100 percent, I should be good. It seems that this is going to take a while on Master since I'm at level 23 right now and barely half way there. The thing that has me down is that I'm at the soul gem filling phase to feed my iron daggers but finding creaters aint easy. Mud crabs hand my ass to to me in four hits and frost spiders in the wild go terminator on me :( I've even resorted into sneeking into villages at night and murdering chickens which I've never done in past playthroughs but even that is proving to be challenging as the shits go into turbo mode only after I cast my time-limited soul trap spell on them; you never quite feel you've hit rock bottom till your chasing down a chicken in the middle of the night because you want to claim its soul.

Who knew by the way that a pack of wolves would be more survivable than a single mud crab.

That's an incredible story. :)

I mean, can you head to the island without starting the 'Dragonborn' quest?

Absolutely. Doing a playthrough like that now actually.

GhaleonEB

I think my Healing a House quest is glitched. Or at least, I can't figure out what to do.

I'm supposed to give the three soaked taproots to Elynea Mothren. But she's now one of the worshipers/workers at the Sun Stone, and will not talk to me. She just repeats the "I'm possessed" lines that everyone else does. I tried planing a soaked taproot in her picket but that didn't do anything.

I googled some wikis in desperation but they don't mention anything about her becoming one of the workers and unresponsive.

Halp?

I think my Healing a House quest is glitched. Or at least, I can't figure out what to do.

I'm supposed to give the three soaked taproots to Elynea Mothren. But she's now one of the worshipers/workers at the Sun Stone, and will not talk to me. She just repeats the "I'm possessed" lines that everyone else does. I tried planing a soaked taproot in her picket but that didn't do anything.

I googled some wikis in desperation but they don't mention anything about her becoming one of the workers and unresponsive.

Halp?

Continue on with the main quest.

So I beat the main quest of Dragonborn last night at 4 in the morning with my level 57 Imperial girl, who I've had for months and who I use to start all DLC.
Quite honestly, I love Solstheim, the Morrowind music is great, and some of the side quests are pure brilliance.
But the main quest just didn't do it for me. I frankly liked Dawnguard's better. Harkon > Miraak, both as a character, and as a fight. Riding a dragon is uninteresting, and the new shouts, Dragon Aspect and Bend Will, aren't as cool as Soul Tear is/was.

GhaleonEB

Memory management issues persist. Five or six more encounters where my hands don't appear when I draw them out. Now I'm in a fort I've spent three days preparing to tackle - finally got a bow powerful enough to tackle Ash Spawn - but my arrows go through the enemies inside. Just whiz straight through, no damage, as if they aren't there. They smack the shit out of me, though. Bugs galore.

Edit: I found I can get out of it by crossing a loading zone and returning. Frustrating; it's only happened in this one fort thank goodness.

This game can be hilariously stupid sometimes.
I attacked some Imperial soldiers between Riverwood and Whiterun, with no witnesses other than the dead soldiers, and somehow incurred a 40 gold bounty. I then walk into Whiterun and the Stormcloak garrison immediately attacks me.

My fellow Stormcloaks are attacking me for killing Imperials. wat

I can understand for the consoles not allowing free flying mounted dragons, but is it true that the spears...Aren't actually used as spears? What?
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom