• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on The End of Evangelion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of Evangelion might be one of my most-watched movies ever. There was a period of time in my late teens when I was missing a lot of school, and I watched the damn thing like, once a day to pass the time.

1) Why could only 14yo kids pilot EVAs? Probably related to the second impact somehow that happened shortly before they were born.

2) Why these children? Couldn't they have found someone less....mentally unstable?

3) What exactly happened at the Second Impact? They built EVAs after that, right? How did they capture Adam then? Just with the Lance? Where did they get that from?

4) What was the First Impact?

5) So, the end was basically the Third Impact, right? So, uh, did only Shinji and Asuka survive? Was that a "Death and Rebirth" kinda thing for humanity? Why did Shinji want to kill Asuka in the end? C'mon dude, she's been through a lot.

6) Where did the Angels come from in the first place? I mean, they all come from Lilith, as does humanity, but are the Angels basically aliens? Why were they hostile?

7) What was the deal with Kaworu? He didn't seem as hostile as the others.

8) SEELE was an organization that basically worked towards the third impact the whole time, right? Because they believed humanity was tainted with sin or somesuch?

9) What exactly were Gendo Ikari's motives? I thought he was working against SEELE, but he seemed pretty content with the end.

10) Why did Misato shoot Kaji?

11) It's 2015. Where are mah robots?

I'll give this a shot.

1. Because the souls of their mothers are in their EVAs, which facilitates synchronization. Sometimes that doesn't work very well, like 01 not activating with Rei inside it.

2. Everyone is fucked up in the show, that's by design.

3. The spear was removed from the second Egg that was in Antarctica (where Adam was). They excavated the place and found the spear in it. Eventually they brought back the spear to experiment with it and Adam, but shit went fubar. Apparently the spear made Adam revert to an embryonic stage. They were lucky.

4. When the Eggs first hit earth. Supposedly their arrival began the development of life (probably a reference to 2001), but imo that's just pseudo canon.

5. Everyone's alive, Shinji and Asuka just chose to leave the instrumentality. He was probably overwhelmed by his hatred of her in that moment, and snapped.

6. They come from nowhere. That's by design, you never know where they come from. They are just trying to reach Adam, to do the same Gendo wants. To "ascend", as it were.

7. He is like Rei, a human body and the soul of Adam. He loves Shinji very much. You think they just slept that night? Nah man. Other angels had tried to communicate with humans too, like the one which broke Asuka's mind and the one that spoke to Rei in her mind. Kaworu just happened to be really attractive, it made things easier.

8. They desired to create the instrumentality in their design, to recreate the human species as what they thought it should be. I think it's ok to assume that the instrumentality happens as its creator wishes, and that different results would happen if someone other than Shinji were inside 01.

9. He wanted to see Yui again. And to be free of pain and loneliness.

10. She didn't. Bruv. Don't even suggest that.

11. NERV is one hundred years ahead of everyone else in technology.

andymcc

Banned
Blu-ray is coming out this August in Japan bundled with the series, no subtitles however, also around $300 :p

I'm probably going to jump on this, despite lack of subtitles, given that: Khara is picky about which studios do what with EVA (see 3.33 BD release), the Manga DVD transfer for EoE is literally the same as the Laserdisc and it's non-anamorphic and if it is brought to America I guarantee the series will be separated from the movies with little regard how nice the Japanese sets will (inevitably) look.

I always felt like the endings to the tv series and the movie were the exact same but told from differing perspectives. The tv series existing solely inside the mind of shinji, as he decides upon whether or not existing in a sea of LCL is what he wants, the movie showing you the events from an outside perspective as well. You can even see some of the same "plot points" in the quick still shots in 25-26.

I also have always interpreted the final scene with Asuka as "everyone needs to individually make the choice to emerge from the LCL", and the first 2 people to do it were Shinji and Asuka, rather than Shinji straight up making that decision for everyone, but we only see the "process" from Shinji's perspective.

Since this thread so conveniently popped up today (seriously the timing is almost scary)
I have a few questions for people who better understood what was going on than I did. They are about the whole series, not just the movie. Though I haven't watched Rebuild yet, so maybe my questions get answered there. I guess I spoiler tag them just in case.

1) Why could only 14yo kids pilot EVAs? Probably related to the second impact somehow that happened shortly before they were born.

2) Why these children? Couldn't they have found someone less....mentally unstable?

3) What exactly happened at the Second Impact? They built EVAs after that, right? How did they capture Adam then? Just with the Lance? Where did they get that from?

4) What was the First Impact?

5) So, the end was basically the Third Impact, right? So, uh, did only Shinji and Asuka survive? Was that a "Death and Rebirth" kinda thing for humanity? Why did Shinji want to kill Asuka in the end? C'mon dude, she's been through a lot.

6) Where did the Angels come from in the first place? I mean, they all come from Lilith, as does humanity, but are the Angels basically aliens? Why were they hostile?

7) What was the deal with Kaworu? He didn't seem as hostile as the others.

8) SEELE was an organization that basically worked towards the third impact the whole time, right? Because they believed humanity was tainted with sin or somesuch?

9) What exactly were Gendo Ikari's motives? I thought he was working against SEELE, but he seemed pretty content with the end.

10) Why did Misato shoot Kaji?

11) It's 2015. Where are mah robots?

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry for the massive question dump (probably outs me as a BAKA lol). Some or maybe even many things might have been explained in the series and I just missed them, wasn't the easiest to follow sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho07Ag6lV9g

I'm probably going to jump on this, despite lack of subtitles, given that: Khara is picky about which studios do what with EVA (see 3.33 BD release), the Manga DVD transfer for EoE is literally the same as the Laserdisc and it's non-anamorphic and if it is brought to America I guarantee the series will be separated from the movies with little regard how nice the Japanese sets will (inevitably) look.

The reason it's taken so long to come out is because Khara has been securing the rights for everything from the quagmire that held them. If this has simplified the licensing situation and everything can be obtained from one place now (rather than gainax and the tv members of the committee for the tv show, and gainax and the different members of the movie committee for the films) it should actually be easier to get the rights and make one big set.

Eva 3.33 issues are unrelated to licensing. I believe ANN has reported on everything that's public with that. But it's not licensing.

Manga's DVD was garbage because it was a buggy mess that barely worked in most players at the time, had serious image quality issues, and if I recall correctly, it had come out just before or just after the renewal set in Japan which had an anamorphic print.

andymcc

Banned
The reason it's taken so long to come out is because Khara has been securing the rights for everything from the quagmire that held them. If this has simplified the licensing situation and everything can be obtained from one place now (rather than gainax and the tv members of the committee for the tv show, and gainax and the different members of the movie committee for the films) it should actually be easier to get the rights and make one big set.

ohh, maybe i should wait then...

injurai

Banned
I absolutely loved it. I felt it was the capstone that pulled everything together and cemented my love for Evangelion. It delivered the catharsis for the series.

Thanks to the excitement in this thread, I've started watching the rebuild of eva movie series. I saw the first movie last night, it was pretty good. The animation was great. Watching movie 2 tonight.

It's something great for sure. I don't understand a lot of things, though. lol

But it is something I don't want to see constantly. Just watched once. It's kinda depressing.

Anung

Un Rama
Loved it. Absolutely blew my mind as a teenager and it still holds up today. Still got the Death and Rebirth and EoE DVDs which I assume are pretty hard to get now. I actually bought EoE from a Woolworth's store when they were still a thing so that should date it.

Would love a Blu-Ray release along with the series. It'd make the wait for the rebuilds easier. Might have to re-watch the OG series and movie again as I've not done it in years.

Definitely my favorite of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom