• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster announced for PC 2016, made by Frontier (Elite Dangerous)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shouldn't the thread title read "Frontier (Rollercoaster Tycoon)" instead of Elite? Would seem more relevant given the genre and all.

Tuck

Wow that was an awesome trailer. Don't even care it showed zero gameplay. It was great.

Another great announcement this E3.

bigjig

A proper spiritual successor to RCT? Be still my beating heart. Hopefully they don't dumb down the tycoon elements.

Im so happy right now i can even erase from my memory what nintendo did.
Thank god cities skylines and planet coaster exist.
We donet need EA or Atari anymore.
67 dollars is a little steep for an alpha, but hell if im not going to be one of the first to try this.
Going to drill that there needs to be easy tools to make any scenery and buildings you want.

D-Pad

GCzzOyR.jpg
If the final product looks anywhere close to that I'll be so happy~ If a grid system IS present then they did a good job hiding it (or this is just a target render or w/e).

Elixist

If the final product looks anywhere close to that I'll be so happy~ If a grid system IS present then they did a good job hiding it (or this is just a target render or w/e).

i wanted to believe, but ya pretty sure that was still just cg.

Just watched the trailer again, some of the screens on the site do not appear at all on the trailer so its very possible its in engine, just with high amounts of antialiasing.

It basically looks right now like modern Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 with better path building and probably coaster building using splines.
They just need to show the scenery buiing tools and we will have the defintive theme park building modern game.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I love it! Great trailer.

So excited to have another theme park game from Frontier.

So from not having a theme park game in 11 years (RCT3 was released in 2004 by the same Frontier) we are havin 4 theme park "games" in a row.

Theme Park Studio by Panthera. Succesful kickstater made at the time of no new theme park game in the near future. More lile the 3ds max of building theme parks than a real theme park simulator game.

Theme Parkitect the most indie project of the 4 and another succesful kickstater. Basically RCT1 remastered. Lots of micromanagement but no real scenary building whatsoever.

Roller Coaster Tycoon World the "real" successor to the throne, no more than a simple pawn of utter and complete garbage. Made by 3 different studios, two of them given the boot by Atari (and counting). There no real game right now but Atari still has the releSe for 2015.
The king is dead.

Planet Coaster the REAL heir to the theme park throne. Made by Frontier. The same studio that created two expansion packs for RCT2 and the whole package of RCT3 and its two amazing expansions. If all that was promised to fan is delivered, we are in for a treat.
Long live the king, baby!

In all seriousness, from those 4 the only games that look lke the real deal are Theme Parkitect, for fans of the old RCT1, and Planet Coaster, for fans of RCT3. At the end, we all win.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of the game, that was a very cute and well edited trailer.

Wubby

In all seriousness, from those 4 the only games that look lke the real deal are Theme Parkitect, for fans of the old RCT1, and Planet Coaster, for fans of RCT3. At the end, we all win.

I hadn't heard about Parkitect until today! Could use some polish but looks great so far. I even discovered the creators of that have a Reddit page where you can follow along and give suggestions. Will definitely be following that one.

Like you say though Parkitect and this Planet Coaster are the only two that really matter. Would love to get in on the Planet Coaster alpha but that price converts to almost $100 in yen so way to expensive for me.

Regardless of the game, that was a very cute and well edited trailer.
And the song is perfect for roller coaster tycoon fans, apart of being about life being a roller coaster, it also tsays at the start that the wait is over and it was a bumpy start.
Perfect song choice, they know what they are doing, thats for sure.

I also talked with David Braven on the old RCT3 forums (great guy) and personally talk with David Walsh during a game conference where he was presenting coaster crazy for wiiu. We talked about RCT3, how big fan I was of it, and asked him if they were making RCT4. He told me to wait and blink his eye with a smile. It was 2 years ago but always had the impression it was the firts phases of this project what he was teasing.

I hadn't heard about Parkitect until today! Could use some polish but looks great so far. I even discovered the creators of that have a Reddit page where you can follow along and give suggestions. Will definitely be following that one.

Like you say though Parkitect and this Planet Coaster are the only two that really matter. Would love to get in on the Planet Coaster alpha but that price converts to almost $100 in yen so way to expensive for me.
Thats a pity about the price. At least, probably because they are a UK studio, did the euro conversion right and its 67 euros and not 76 lile dollars. Yen conversion seems bad because thats nearly double the price.

SparkTR

The tone of that trailer was so whimsy and cute, which is a funny contrast to all the death and destruction my parks are going to dish out.

Top Bottom