• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster announced for PC 2016, made by Frontier (Elite Dangerous)

Goldrusher

What seems like real gameplay trailer from the Planet Coaster website.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nSWHWlcitc
gameplaysdlcj.png
The train is super detailed, but the track looks terrible.
The backbone of the track of this coaster type needs to be a little bigger, and without the rounded edges. It's called box track, it should look boxy/square with sharp edges.
On thumbnails, and in the trailer, it almost looks tubular, which is an insult to the inventors. Tubular track is used by lesser, cheaper companies.

edit:

Speaking of track details, hopefully we can paint all elements of the track individually.
Hide it under an advanced tab if you must.

Mrbob

76 muricans, damn. I'm still in though once it goes live.

Really hope this has VR integration. I want to ride the monstrosities I make.

Anyone know when beta code will release? When their intended release date is? I would like to know what I am getting for $45 extra bucks!

Oh wow I never thought about this. First person viewpoint riding coasters, this could be one of the coolest things for VR.

On thumbnails, and in the trailer, it almost looks tubular, which is an insult to the inventors.

Come on now, it's not NoLimits it doesn't have to be that faithful. I'm sure B&M will cope.

Oh wow I never thought about this. First person viewpoint riding coasters, this could be one of the coolest things for VR.

You can do that in NoLimits and it's fantastic. But yes, it would be great for this too. I'd love to walk around my park and get on a ride as if I'm there.

Between this and Parkitect (and the huge off-chance RCT World ends up being pretty good), lots to be excited for in this space. I just hope this isn't just a new Thrillville.

Parkitect is trying to capture the magic of 1 and 2 though. Different ideas.

tumblr_inline_no184lrM7c1si3zx7_500.png

One of the reasons why RCT was so succesful, is that it was that faithful.
No coaster was a fantasy design.

To a point. I don't think its success had much to do with the exact size and shape of one coaster types spine. If they do do perfect replicas of real track that would be great, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this kind of change. The group of hardcore coaster enthusiasts who care about that kind of detail will be tiny. I'd much favour better more natural/realistic looking supports.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As cool as this is (I actually really liked Frontier's Thrillville series!), Frontier literally just released a rollercoaster game that didn't come out on PC, and then they released Elite Dangerous only on their own site... and then released it on Steam ages later and refused to give people Steam keys... after doing the bait-and-switch with always-online.

So I'd be more optimistic if there was any indication Frontier understood the PC market in 2015 and valued it.

I say this as a big Frontier fan. Loved Thrillville, Lostwinds, loved Kinect Disneyland, thought Kinectimals was great for target audience, thought Zoo Tycoon was pretty great, interested in Screamride.

Meier

Hadn't heard of Parkitect but that looks decent as well -- at $15, I'll definitely give it a shot! My wife and I love the RCT series so she'll be excited about this one. Once I get an Xbox One, Zoo Tycoon will probably be purchased immediately.

Between this and Parkitect (and the huge off-chance RCT World ends up being pretty good), lots to be excited for in this space. I just hope this isn't just a new Thrillville.

There's also Theme Park Studio, although it doesn't appear to emphasize the management aspects as much. Planet Coaster and Theme Park Studio are the ones I'm interested in.

I have Theme Park Studio and ... I don't think it's ever going to be what I want it to be unfortunately. It's somewhere between RCT and NoLimits without being better than either.

So from the 2 videos and PR what we can gather is:

• Terraforming ala RCT3 is in (not present in RCTW)
  • Grid base system evolved. There seems to be a grid system in place, but you can place objects and roads in different degrees to create a realistic park.
  • Curved paths at last!
  • Spline based coaster building. They've used Coaster Crazy and Screamride as tests and it shows. No more grid looking roller coasters.
  • RCT simple stalls confirmed.
  • Same artstyle used on RCT3, just better.
  • PR stated that they also want to create the management of the park as deep as they can. Something to make happy to RCT1 and 2 fans, thats for sure.
  • There seems to be no character creator in place (there was in RCT3 where you could create groups and families) because one of the corwdfunding perks is be in the game as a visitor.

Things to be still confirmed:
  • Scenery building, what I mean from this is "lego" pieces so you can build any building your imagination wants. RCT2 and 3 had them. RCTW was totally absent of them (and the devs working on them didnt want to talk about it). Its the perfect way to build dark rides, restaurants, shops...
  • Frontier making it easier for modders to work with the game. RCT3 was alowed to have mods, but they had to build their own importing tools, etc... Hoping that they work with the community this time like Colossal order has done with Cities Skylines, as Planet Coaster appeared for the same reason that Cities Skylines.

If this 2 last things are confimed, we are off to a good start to get the best theme park sim game ever.

The backbone of this track type needs to be a little bigger, and without rounded edges.
It's called box track, make it look like a box. Square, sharp, edgy.

On thumbnails, and in the trailer, it almost looks tubular, which is an insult to the inventors.

;-)

edit:

Another important detail is the ability to paint all elements of the track individually.
Hide it under an advanced tab if you must.

What if someone wants to recreate these...

Seems like that is a B&M car mixed with a vekoma track. Maybe its only a test for the spline system and they will start adding real coasters when they finish that.
We know they understand that addition to detail, they did nearly every coaster type in existance in RCT3 and the expansions.
EDIT:
Square based, although yep, looks rounder than usual. Still very early, could have been a test.

More 1 than 2. Theres no scenery building in Parkitect planned, and its a damn shame. Seems ts going to be RCT1 with better cameras and maybe on ride coaster cam.

So from the 2 videos and PR what we can gather is:

• Terraforming ala RCT3 is in (not present in RCTW)
  • Grid base system evolved. There seems to be a grid system in place, but you can place objects and roads in different degrees to create a realistic park.
  • Curved paths at last!
  • Spline based coaster building. They've used Coaster Crazy and Screamride as tests and it shows. No more grid looking roller coasters.
  • RCT simple stalls confirmed.
  • Same artstyle used on RCT3, just better.
  • PR stated that they also want to create the management of the park as deep as they can. Something to make happy to RCT1 and 2 fans, thats for sure.
  • There seems to be no character creator in place (there was in RCT3 where you could create groups and families) because one of the corwdfunding perks is be in the game as a visitor.

Things to be still confirmed:
  • Scenery building, what I mean from this is "lego" pieces so you can build any building your imagination wants. RCT2 and 3 had them. RCTW was totally absent of them (and the devs working on them didnt want to talk about it). Its the perfect way to build dark rides, restaurants, shops...
  • Frontier making it easier for modders to work with the game. RCT3 was alowed to have mods, but they had to build their own importing tools, etc... Hoping that they work with the community this time like Colossal order has done with Cities Skylines, as Planet Coaster appeared for the same reason that Cities Skylines.

I'm really hoping for the scenery building is an option but something like laying out buildings like you do with the sims would be good too.

I'm okay with the simple old rct style stalls but as long as they are more than one square it could look somewhat real and cool. The pizza place in one of the screenshots is exactly what I mean. It looks better.

Curved paths and spline based coaster building is what has me most excited tbh

I'm really hoping for the scenery building is an option but something like laying out buildings like you do with the sims would be good too.

I'm okay with the simple old rct style stalls but as long as they are more than one square it could look somewhat real and cool. The pizza place in one of the screenshots is exactly what I mean. It looks better.

Curved paths and spline based coaster building is what has me most excited tbh

I really hope the have the no themed counter from RCT3 soaked, so you can put them inside made own buildings and look good.

And im also with you, would love Sims type wall building, where you could add your own textures, and with some pieces to make them round or diagonal also. But if not, something using primitive shapes to make whatever you want like in Theme Park Studio could be really cool.

epmode

I'd hold out until after it comes out on Steam:

They eventually relented but fuck em. Stump's right about the always online bait and switch as well.

I backed the game too! ..but I haven't been able to play since Beta 1 due to stutter that simply never goes away. It's the only game I own with a problem like this.

edit: This trailer's great though. Really excellent.

D-Pad

Now all we need is for someone to step up and replace The Sims, and all three of my favorite sim genres will be fixed again~

Thank you, Frontier! Take note, Atari!
Thank you, Colossal Order/Paradox! Take note, Maxis/EA!
Thank you, [your company could be here]! Take note, Maxis/EA!

Special shoutout to Parkitect! I'm looking forward to that too~

Wiktor

Now all we need is for someone to step up and replace The Sims, and all three of my favorite sim genres will be fixed again~

Yeah, I love this trend. EA gave us FPS Syndicate..but screw them..we're getting Sattelite Reign, they've turned Dungeon Keeper into Clash of Clans clone, but screw them..we got War for the Overlord. Heck..some mad men are even trying to make Magic Carpet successor called Arcane Worlds.

Good times.

SparkTR

One that I'm holding out for is a StarTopia successor, which will never happen despite StarTopia being pretty much the epitome of that kind of game. Something like Theme Hospital at least.

D-Pad

Some new animations were released and also a statement that new info will be releasing soon
Planet Coaster Facebook said:
A quick sneak peak of an animation from Planet Coaster. We have big updates and news coming soon, so stay tuned!
WnelWkc.gif

rrYPEaP.jpg

AI37PxN.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/PlanetCoaster

Last one shows how the peeps spread out in the park.

Compared to RollerCoaster Tycoon World, these peeps are just on a whole level beyond~ Think I'll pass on RCTW and just wait for this.

Edit - The first one makes for a p cool reaction gif lol

Some new animations were released and also a statement that new info will be releasing soon

WnelWkc.gif

rrYPEaP.jpg

AI37PxN.jpg

Compared to RollerCoaster Tycoon World, these peeps are just on a whole level beyond~ Think I'll pass on RCTW and just wait for this.

Saw the coaster one on their facebook, but didnt see the people spreading through the park one.
Looks godly.

And yes, the AI of the RCTW peeps wasnt even written well yet on the alphas (banking everything on the theming system that could fail miserably like the group system in RCT3). Seems Frontier know one of RCT3's facults and is trying to fix it as soon as possible, the wy they reallisticly go though different paths is pretty cool, I suppose it works on atractiveness of the zone, as they are going through the pink parts of the park but not thorugh the white one (I suppose putting rides, theming or shops in the area will make it more attractivve to peeps that will move there). They are even using the middle of paths, YES!

I also love how the legs react to the coaster's Gs.

Words cannot describe how happy I am to see them use the RCT3 aesthetic again.

12 years old hated it in the official forums (they can only spout the word realistic from their mouths), but that aesthetic worked perfectly for a game about working with huge crowds, and with better graphics it just looks like their character artworks they had in the campaign screens, and those were lovely.

LuuKyK

WnelWkc.gif

rrYPEaP.jpg

AI37PxN.jpg

Edit - The first one makes for a p cool reaction gif lol

Whoa that looks great. Its so good to see these theme park games finally making a comeback. And its good that there is competition now. Exciting times ahead.

Goldrusher

Looking good.

I like how everything seems to have "mass" again. Weight and depth. Just like the original 2 RCT-games. Whereas RCT3 often felt flat and hollow.

I kind of assumed that the original trailer was more of a concept trailer intended to get you excited about the idea of a theme park game again. I'm really happy to see the characters and animation seem to be an actual part of the game--the art direction is adorable! The bit where they talk about congestion animations was especially nice.

PaulloDEC

Damn, I know I'm echoing everyone else here, but those animations are absolutely gorgeous. I can't remember the last time I saw a game with as much polish and character in its animations as I'm seeing in those little snippets.

This definitely seems to be shaping up as one to watch.

Fantastic dev diary. You can see how Frontier understands what they are doing and know how important is peep AI in the game, after somewhat failing with RCT3. They tried to make something complex in that game, the family/group system with the original basic AI of RCT1 and 2 and thats when it felt apart.
This time they are working on rebuilding the whole system from the ground up so it works as they have envisioned.
On the other hand, RCTW hasn't implemented yet the peep AI correctly. When you are leaving one of the most important aspects for the final touches, it doesnt inspire me much confidence.

And its just not the AI but the animations that go with them.
If one of the dev diaries touches the construction theming and buildings system, and maybe the real restaurant and shops feel, I think the game will be in aposition to make RCT1, RCT2 and RCT3 lovers all be happy with the game. The Ultimate Roller Coaster Tycoon, not called RCT.

Talked with one of the Frontier devs some years ago, hinting me the game, when we were talking about Coaster Crazy, he told me all the small games where just tests for a bigger one and that I would see it in full splendour in some time. I see the time has come.

Looking good.

I like how everything seems to have "mass" again. Weight and depth. Just like the original 2 RCT-games. Whereas RCT3 often felt flat and hollow.

The weight and depth aspect, would not fault RCT3 for being like it was. It needed to be like that if they wanted the game to work on the computers at the time (and it already had problems with larger parks).
Now we are on a time where they can recreate that fidelity that RCT1 and 2 had becuase they were handrawn and thats the imprssion they had.
I think we are just in the time where Frontier can create the perfect RCT 3D game without anything holding them back.

D-Pad

Aaaaaah oh my god!! Those animations are just god tier. Hoping for some sort of peep editor like RCT3 had too!

Top Bottom