• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster announced for PC 2016, made by Frontier (Elite Dangerous)

Mik2121

Looking forward to seeing how this game looks. RTCWorld looked pretty bad on the gameplay reveal teaser and they kept cutting to this much better looking roller coaster that all it did was make the actual game look even worse :/

BTM

Holy yes please!!

That dino chasing the dude was probably my favorite part of the trailer. Cute and hilarious

Yoshi88

Now THIS looks like a proper RCT sequel. Great trailer, looking forward to it (and hopefully many expansions/ sequels).

Rocketz

If this is good it will be the death of me. RCT2 is probably my favorite game of all time. I've been wanting a good roller coaster sim game for years now. The amount of hours I would put in this if it turns out well...

im scared

Munin

That trailer gave me Pixar vibes...if they can transfer that art style to the actual game we'll have a winner.

Garuda1One

Thats gotta be one of the best trailer ever.. And its not even call of battlefield : assasins far cry

Frontier was the one who made The original rct, planet coaster is in good hand.. And this got me thinking, how is roller coaster tycoon world ?

Zaptruder

Banned
Although that's CG... I like that we've gotten to the point where we think - yeah, that could be real time rendered, maybe.

And maybe it is? Although unlikely - if so, best strategy game graphics ever.

Xane

Wow, looks amazing! What a jump of grenres from Elite: Dangerous to this.

Also, store page said "Early Bird", so I preordered.

Merino

If the final product looks anywhere close to that I'll be so happy~ If a grid system IS present then they did a good job hiding it (or this is just a target render or w/e).
this is very likely in-game render.

Frontier doesn't do bullshots to sell their game and it seems to me like a logical upgrade from RCT3 (both graphically and in regards to getting away from the square-grid structure).

Here you can see some 3d renders from the game, looks great to me:
https://sketchfab.com/frontier

Can't fricking wait for this to be released after waiting all those years for a proper RCT3 sequel!

Xane

Great trailer. Looks like it would be fun. We need a good theme management game now.

Yes please.
We had enough rollercoaster creators. I want a true Theme Park management game a kin to Bullfrog's Theme Park.

I hope this has some of it.

Goldrusher

Looks promising.

edit: Regarding that zombie/brain ride in the post below, please include non-themed versions of a every flat ride.

Someone found the 3d models use on the site screenshots and trailers on the Frontier forums, that they were uploaded on sketchfab.com:
https://sketchfab.com/frontier
coasterpqsgc.png

mindbendercfsts.png

peepsqtsnc.png

The mindbender being the biggest "scene" is the one that uses less polygons, as its used on distant shots on the trailer. So basically there are models for the CGI trailer although they could also have been used as base models for the game.

Comparison shots of the theme park games Frontier has released:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (2004 - PC)

Thrillville: Off the Rails (2007 - PS2, Xbox360, PC)

Kinect Disneyland Adventures (2011 - Xbox360)

Coaster Crazy (2012 - iOS, WiiU)

Zoo Tycoon (2013 - Xbox One version)

Screamride (2015 - Xbox one version)

Planet Coaster (2016 - CGI Trailer and screens)

As you can see, even if Planet Coaster is CGI, it totally doable on a PC, and Frontier has a hang of good looking graphics on Theme park style games. Some of the models are probably even used in the game. It was basically to show the artstyle, and that it looks like an evolved RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, that is what the people really wanted.

I just hope that hipster character from the video isn't your Mayor/Navi/Clippy helper. :lol
RCT3 used a park manager:
Although it was zero intrusive in that game.

Only on PC? Why? I don't get it.
No limits, RCT3 in 2004 already ate ram on new PCs at the time like crazy. So to make RCT3 evolved without any restrictions, the only way is a PC. Simple as that.
Thats why consoles get shit like Thrillville.

Great trailer. Looks like it would be fun. We need a good theme management game now.

Yes please.
We had enough rollercoaster creators. I want a true Theme Park management game a kin to Bullfrog's Theme Park.

I hope this has some of it.

The game will have management, thats for sure, probably better than RCT3 as that one was somewhat restricted by the family and groups gameplay (that was the thing that fucked up with management on RCT3 vanilla, and was fixed somewhat with patches).
But if you are only looking for micromanagement, this is rpobably more your cup of tea:
http://www.themeparkitect.com/
RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 type of gameplay indie game.

M.Steiner

After that awful trailer we got for RCTW this was a really nice surprise. Hope it turns out well as (like a new city builder until Cities: Skylines just recently), I've longed for a new theme park sim for a long time now. Great trailer!

More important info coming (would be cool ifall of this is added all this to the op).

What seems like real gameplay trailer from the Planet Coaster website.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nSWHWlcitc
gameplaysdlcj.png

And the different preorders they are doing:

Book Now
Pre-order Planet Coaster to guarantee your digital copy on day one and get a special pre-order price.

This is basically the game for preorder WITHOUT the beta code.

PRICES
£19.99
€26.99
30 USD (aprx)

Early Bird Pass
Be the first to join us on Planet Coaster with early beta access.
Be the first to join us on Planet Coaster!

Your Early Bird Beta pass will give you access to our beta version of Planet Coaster before its release, and full access to the complete game on release.

PRICES
£49.99
€67.00
76.00 USD (aprx)

EXTRAS:

VIP Ticket
Become a permanent guest in Planet Coaster parks with a single or family VIP ticket.
Be part of Planet Coaster as a park guest!

With a Single ticket you’ll become a park guest in-game, with access to the Guest Designer to create the perfect in-game visage.

You will be a visitor in your own Planet Coaster parks and in parks from all over the world.

Please Note
•VIP Single Tickets do not include a copy of the game.

• You will always attend your own parks. Your attendance in other parks will vary.

• Restrictions on names and content apply - no profanity, brand names, or offensive text. Frontier's decision is final.

• Names and messages must use English language (foreign text cannot be vetted and only limited languages are supported in game)

PRICES
£10.00
€14.00
16.00 USD (aprx)

PRICES (VIP GROUP VERSION - 2 to 6 people)
£40.00
€54.00
44.00 USD (aprx)

Coaster Head Club
Join to get an exclusive T-shirt, wristband, private forum and sneak peeks on the game development for true Coaster Heads.
Join our exclusive Coaster Head club!

Meet other Coaster Heads in the club’s private forums and see sneak peeks into Planet Coaster’s development.

Club members will receive a one-off T-shirt and festival wrist band. We’re challenging you to wear it on your wrist until we’re ready to release Planet Coaster!

Please note: Club membership does not include a copy of the game. T-shirts and festival wristbands will be dispatched at a later date.

PRICES
£25.00
€34.00
38 USD (aprx)

Work in the Park
Nobody can fire you! Reserve your place as a permanent member of staff in Planet Coaster parks.
Join the staff at Planet Coaster. You can never be fired, but positions are limited!

By joining Planet Coaster’s staff you’ll have a permanent role as a member of the coaster parks’ staff in-game, with access to the Guest Designer to create the perfect in-game visage.

You will be a staff member in your own Planet Coaster parks and in parks from all over the world.

Please Note
• VIP Staff Passes do not include a copy of the game.

• Some staff types are not available in all genders.

• You will always attend your own parks. Your attendance in other parks will vary.

• Restrictions on names and content apply - no profanity, brand names, or offensive text. Frontier's decision is final.

• Names and messages must use English language (foreign text cannot be vetted and only limited languages are supported in game)

PRICES
£100.00
€135.00
152 USD (aprx)

Etched In Stone
Have your name immortalized on your own foundation stone at the entrance of every park on Planet Coaster.
Etch your name in stone at the entrance to every coaster park on Planet Coaster.

Every park has an entrance, and every entrance is built with the same 100 engraved foundation stones. Join us by buying a Foundation Stone and you will be immortalized at the entrance of every park, everywhere on Earth. Forever.

This special offer is limited to just 100 stones, so please book now to be sure of joining us!

Please note
• VIP Park Foundation Stones do not include a copy of the game.

• Planet Coaster will grow and we may release other dedicated stones for themed entrances, but the Foundation Stones will be limited to just 100.

• Messages can be up to six lines in length, and each line will have a character limit.

• Text size in your message may vary slightly according to the characters used.

PRICES
£500.00
€676.00
760 USD (aprx)

IMO The prices for the extras are just stupid. The beta one at that price would be cool if it included The Coaster Head Club memebership with the forums and updates.
The only good price is the preorder one, and still would be stupid becuase theres still nothing to see apart from 2 small videos form the game.
The rest of the extras are idiocy of the next level, the etched stone in particular, lol at being more than 700 dollars and they couldnt even give you the updates memebership, beta and full game with it.

Wiktor

Only on PC? Why? I don't get it.

Because Frontier has been making one damn console game of this type after another for the last decade and none of them was what RTC3 fans wanted. I hope you will find it in yourself to somehow survive them making one PC-only title.

Jims

Fantastic trailer. Reminded me a little of the kind of trailer you see for Pixar and other CGI movies, with the imagery and the way it builds with the music.

They definitely got my attention. Hopefully this does for roller coaster sims what Cities Skylines did for city management recently.

Helznicht

Really hope this has VR integration. I want to ride the monstrosities I make.

Anyone know when beta code will release? When their intended release date is? I would like to know what I am getting for $45 extra bucks!

Why isn't there more hype for this game? It looks incredible.

Im excited as hell. Its my favourite news to come out of E3.
The new gameplay video has soldified that sentiment.

I already claimed the OT in the claming neogaf thread. Want to build a gaffer community where we can share our parks, just like we did with cities skylines.

Top Bottom