• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA responds to question on PC Persona 5 release, sounds unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Infinite Improbability Drive eh.

uwCkVbA.gif

It's not a no, so that's something.

FluxWaveZ

There will always be a ton of Japanese games that wouldn't show up on PC, so there's plenty of reason for people who like these games to get a PS4. If you're only into it for a few select games then the story might be different.

Heh, yeah, like Persona 5.

epmode

I would like to see everything on PC thought to be fair.

And why wouldn't you? Why would anyone be against it? A decent PC port is virtually alays the best way to play a game when it comes to graphics and performance.

That's my impression as well. How big is the Persona team?

Whatever the case, hiring a porting team would pay for itself the instant the game launches. If Atlus doesn't want to do it, Sega definitely has some people they can shuffle around.

Lunar15

Man, every single tiny tidbit of non-info nets at thread of at least 5 pages on GAF. The GAF thirst is out of control.

I'd love if we could get these games on PC, but probably won't happen for a while.

Arsenic13

PS4 version is fine with me. But a PC version would be nice, not just to play but for the company to dip their finger into an untapped market.

finalflame

Gold Member
4K is garbage until there are some sexy 144Hz Variable Refresh 4K screens though. :)

I love the hyperbolic nonsense that gets thrown around on GAF. 4K is far from "garbage" because there are no 144hz G-Sync panels out. 4K60hz TVs are plenty fine for current media consumption and even PC gaming at 60hz. Sure, 144hz G-Sync 4K IPS/PLS panels will be amazing, but it's a stretch to call the tech "garbage" because it's not available in a refresh rate very, very few people can use.

Nyoro SF

The majority of people still chose PS4 to buy their multiplats, so you're in the minority.

Indeed, it's true that the mass majority of people who buy consoles do so for multiplatform games. Harping about exclusives is usually limited to the hardcore and invested players who comprise of a much smaller, but still valuable market (though the value of this has gone down heavily in the past few years).

I love the hyperbolic nonsense that gets thrown around on GAF. 4K is far from "garbage" because there are no 144hz G-Sync panels out. 4K60hz TVs are plenty fine for current media consumption and even PC gaming at 60hz. Sure, 144hz G-Sync 4K IPS/PLS panels will be amazing, but it's a stretch to call the tech "garbage" because it's not available in a refresh rate very, very few people can use.

He was kidding.

kewlmyc

Not sure why anyone was expecting Persona 5 on PC. While it would be cool and I would get it, there is zero precedent as to why Atlus would jump on the PC train now. It's not like Bamco when they've been dabbing into it for years.

Nyoro SF

Not sure why anyone was expecting Persona 5 on PC. While it would be cool and I would get it, there is zero precedent as to why Atlus would jump on the PC train now. It's not like Bamco when they've been dabbing into it for years.

Well, "expecting" is a bit pushing it, maybe I was hoping for "acknowledgement". lol
Usually company language says something along the lines of "we acknowledge this" before it changes to "we support this".

4Tran

Heh, yeah, like Persona 5.
Not quite. There's still a decent chance that Persona 5 will show up on PC within a decade. However, there are a lot of Japanese games that have no chance at all of seeing a PC release.

Well, "expecting" is a bit pushing it, maybe I was hoping for "acknowledgement". lol
Usually company language says something along the lines of "we acknowledge this" before it changes to "we support this".
To be fair, I think that that kind of language will have to come directly from Atlus Japan. Then again, Atlus Japan probably doesn't talk to Western media much and Japanese media have little reason to ask them about anything on PC.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It all starts somewhere, which is why PC players are insistent. Now more than ever, we're seeing support both from publishers and players for games that have long been considered "Console" experiences. For some companies, there is indeed the issue of lacking manpower, but some companies like Sega employ very tiny skeleton crews who are able to port games over and make competent ports at that.

There's very little other reason to deny such a large market other than failing to understand it. I wasn't going to expect a PC version announced day-and-date with the PS3/4 versions, but I think it is very important to do what we can to have Japanese developers/publishers understand what that market sector can do for them, in terms of sales and exposure. We have almost nothing like a Persona title on Steam, which could offer them the potential for making a killing on an entirely untapped audience.

ArjanN

Infinite Improbability Drive eh.

It's not a no, so that's something.

The only reason he even used that is because the question was phrased in that 'is it impossible' way. (which itself was kind of a tricky way to get them to acknowledge something. :p)

Because SEGA, and there's always a start. Dark Souls started as a petition, and Valkyria Chronicles came to PC. Square-Enix is even releasing all their FF games on Steam, even FF7 Remake is coming.

PC players are thristy for more Japanese devs, so Atlus will lose nothing and gain more.
tiny-blink.gif

Nyoro SF

Because SEGA, and there's always a start. Dark Souls started as a petition, and Valkyria Chronicles came to PC. Square-Enix is even releasing all their FF games on Steam, even FF7 Remake is coming.

PC players are thristy for more Japanese devs, so Atlus will lose nothing and gain more.
tiny-blink.gif

To add onto that, we have Koei Tecmo support.
Over the past year and a half, they've placed around 8 titles on Steam.

Granted, these games were ported with very little care, and the price was way too high for a games which were very late to PC, but... if KT can do it without too much fuss, I'm probably not going to buy the reasoning of "Atlus Japan doesn't have enough staff"... I'd rather believe "Atlus Japan simply isn't concerned".

Expecting no, but one would think that after 400k+ and counting sales of a game like Valkyrie Chronicles (and another successes in the platform), would got thinking one of these higher up or producers at Sega, that one of the companies they own, has an ideal IP to try, at least, the waters on it.

But this is Sega and the japanese industry at the whole, there's a lot of people basically yelling "we have money, and we want to give it to you!" on the PC side, and most of them are just ignoring it.

4Tran

Expecting no, but one would think that after 400k+ and counting sales of a game like Valkyrie Chronicles (and another successes in the platform), would got thinking one of these higher up or producers at Sega, that one of the companies they own, has an ideal IP to try, at least, the waters on it.

But this is Sega and the japanese industry at the whole, there's a lot of people basically yelling "we have money, and we want to give it to you!" on the PC side, and most of them are just ignoring it.
Actually, Sega is possibly more committed to PC development than any other Japanese publisher. They're less likely to ignore the PC as a platform than their peers and that's precisely why there's a good chance of Atlus games showing put there sooner or later.

FluxWaveZ

Not quite. There's still a decent chance that Persona 5 will show up on PC within a decade. However, there are a lot of Japanese games that have no chance at all of seeing a PC release.

Well, what makes Persona 5 different than the other games you're referring to. Sega?

Edit: Looking at your last reply, I assume that that's it. I wouldn't bet that Sega has great influence when it comes to this, and that it would mostly be dependent on Atlus' decision at this point.

4Tran

Well, what makes Persona 5 different than the other games you're referring to. Sega?

Edit: Looking at your last reply, I assume that that's it. I wouldn't bet that Sega has great influence when it comes to this, and that it would mostly be dependent on Atlus' decision at this point.
On its own, I'd imagine that Atlus would view the PC in the same way that most other Japanese developers look at it: a verboten platform. However, they're not on their own any more, and Sega is there to allay any fears that Atlus may have. There's certainly a chance that it might not be enough and Atlus will stay console-only, but I think that Sega's numbers will win out in the end.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Atlus is dumb. But whatever, I'll get Persona 5 on PS3, play it and then never touch another Atlus game unless it's on PC going forward. *shrug* No skin off my nose.

If even NIS is starting to do PC ports, there is no excuse left in the book for Atlus.

Nyoro SF

Never. Go ahead and stop dreaming. It's pathetic.

I'm thinking to myself "what on earth could possibly cause this old thread of mine to be bumped" and then I see that someone is extraordinarily late to the verbal beatdown response

EDIT: And it was a post on the first page too. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom