• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA responds to question on PC Persona 5 release, sounds unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it allowed for ps4 owners like me to portbeg PC games or something....?

Star Citizen? Nah...that is most probably vaporware even on PC....

Starcraft 2?

I only want Hearthstone on my PS4 and Vita to be honest........

Depends by what you mean by portbeg. If you derail a discussion to complain. Its not. Now if you answer a thread in which Star Citizen or Heartstone developpers comment on the possibility of a game coming to these platforms, its not.

lord_lad

Banned
You forgot the "/s". Or are we now accusing other people ?
I mean, are you insinuating mods are biased or something ? Because same rules apply to everyone. Port begging leads to ban, when it derails a thread. If your assumption is port begging only come from one way, this is blatantly wrong. Especially if you claim its acceptable for some people and not others.

Now, what I'm discussing right now isnt how likely this game or another is likely to come to which platform, but to discuss that, as opposed to some people claims, a 3rd party series isnt tied forever to one platform.

i'm just disgusted by the comments and even the petition of the PC people during Bloodborne's announcement and released...

If Super Mario and Zelda ain't coming to PC ever, then Bloodborne and Demon's Souls ain't coming to PC ever for the same reason.

i'm just disgusted by the comments and even the petition of the PC people during Bloodborne's announcement and released...

If Super Mario and Zelda ain't coming to PC ever, then Bloodborne and Demon's Souls ain't coming to PC ever for the same reason.

And people port begging in the Bloodborne thread were banned. All according to the rules. I dont even see whats your point to begin with.
I dont even see what the petition thing or Bloodborne has to do with this thread :eek:

You forgot the "/s". Or are we now accusing other people ?
I mean, are you insinuating mods are biased or something ? Because same rules apply to everyone. Port begging leads to ban, when it derails a thread. If your assumption is port begging only come from one way, this is blatantly wrong. Especially if you claim its acceptable for some people and not others.

Now, what I'm discussing right now isnt how likely this game or another is likely to come to which platform, but to discuss that, as opposed to some people claims, a 3rd party series isnt tied forever to one platform.

'I hope this comes to PC' and variations of the sort are quite common on GAF when third party console games are involved. I've noticed it too, and I don't really get how its any different to your standard port begging, but I digress.

More to the point, I'm not sure how anyone would expect Persona 5 to release on PC in the first place.

'I hope this comes to PC' and variations of the sort are quite common on GAF when third party console games are involved. I've noticed it too, and I don't really get how its any different to your standard port begging, but I digress.

More to the point, I'm not sure how anyone would expect Persona 5 to release on PC in the first place.

And its the case for any platform. Not only PC. You get to see this for PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, Vita, 3DS, etc etc...

More to the point, someone could expect that because of recent trends of japanese games coming to steam or even some being PS4/PC games.

People should know by now, if you want to play japanese games, you should buy a PS4.

Also true.

Skelter

Banned
because PC gamers and their 'everything is better on PC' reasoning i supposed.....

still remember the complaining and portbegging when Bloodborne was announced?

I'm sure someone will post on gaf in the future that Nintendo should also port the next Zelda to PC too because 'the Zelda PC port will help bring in more revenue to nintendo' or some similar reason...

Why the hell do people come into a PC thread to complain about PC users?

SparkTR

Starcraft 2?

See the Civilisation Beyond Earth and XCOM 2 reveal threads, the requests for PS4/XBO versions there were beyond anything from the PC community I've personally seen.

The chances were slim to none in the first place but people are out in force now that theres a statement of sorts. PC gamers are seeing alot more japanese devs port their games to pc, some of which are notoriously niche so i guess they assumed atlus wouldnt cross it out when Persona is more popluar than stuff by IF.

True but I mean, it's not universal. And aren't most of the games going to PC multiplaform anyways? It's not as if they were always super exclusive to certain consoles. Street Fighter is 3rd, now 2nd. And so is final Fantasy. I'm sure there's others like Tales and such but I mean... I'm pretty sure this is to be expected and I'm not sure why some thought that this game would also be an exception. Niche as it may be, I don't think atlus is terribly concerned about PC money.

Its niche regardless.

Skelter

Banned
See the Civilisation Beyond Earth and XCOM 2 reveal threads, the requests for PS4/XBO versions there were beyond anything from the PC community I've personally seen.

And you know what? Console owners did not give a shot for Xcom according to Firaxis and their console sales. Why else would they not bother making the sequel for consoles? Japanese games however do find success on PC.

Still, I never even knew his was a question aimed at Atlus. I love their games but I don't expect them on PC anytime soon. I'd buy anything they put up but yeah, that's why I have a PS4, for the jrpgs.

SparkTR

And you know what? Console owners did not give a shot for Xcom according to Firaxis and their console sales. Why else would they not bother making the sequel for consoles? Japanese games however do find success on PC.

I'm not insinuating that one would be successful or not, who knows, I'm just saying that complaining about port begging from PC users while ignoring the arguably more flagrant examples from users from other console platforms is ignorance (or hypocrisy) at its worst.

Sijil

Geez, reading your comments someone might think they insulted your family or something.

Starcraft 2?

Yeah now you're just suffering from an overdose of saltiness.

This is a thread about a developers comment to a question regarding a PC version of a PS game, no one set up a thread to beg for a PC version and no one started posting in the reveal thread begging for a port much like many did with the XCOM 2 and CIV: BE reveal, that's how port begging works, openly discussing a developers comment in its own thread is not.

Bummer. You'd think they'd at least be interested in giving Steam a try.

This thread is specifically about Persona 5 and the PC platform. I think there should be a rule against going into such threads and calling people port-beggars, since that's what usually derails the discussion. It's not the first time we've had a PC + Japanese game thread where Sony people have come in and done just this. But whatever, it's not my mandate.

Yeah, this is a game that's made primarily for Japanese market, they don't play with PC's.

Judging by the Media Create numbers, they don't play with PS4s either.

Are you seriously comparing the state of PC gaming in Japan to the state of the PS4?

Tounge-in-cheek, dude.

Not surprised, but dissapointed.
Atlus still thinks it 1990, but at this point everything they do now makes them sell less than what they could.
They are so 90's they still dont translate to PAL5 in the main land for anime import.
Theres no Vita version still no?
Seems im gonna have to wait for that Persona 5 Crimson, or whatever they are going to call the expansion.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
These figures don't seem impressive, like, at all.

Barely 400k, despite occasional discounts, and not to mention the noticeable drop-off for the sequel too.

Lightning Returns will probably take forever just to reach 200k.

Shit ports years after the fact for a divisive entry in the series. Seems like good numbers to me.

Not surprised, but dissapointed.
Atlus still thinks it 1990, but at this point everything they do now makes them sell less than what they could.
They are so 90's they still dont translate to PAL5 in the main land for anime import.
Theres no Vita version still no?
Seems im gonna have to wait for that Persona 5 Crimson, or whatever they are going to call the expansion.

Atlus isn't that big, they can't afford to translate in PAL5. It most likely won't increase their sales ro the point of it being profitable. They can't even publish in Europe.

These figures don't seem impressive, like, at all.

Barely 400k, despite occasional discounts, and not to mention the noticeable drop-off for the sequel too.

Lightning Returns will probably take forever just to reach 200k.

Considering the terrible reputation XIII has (I mean it), it's great sales. Late, lazy port of a game with so much hate...
Now compare it to Valkyria Chronicles. Smaller IP, better game, better port... better sales, at better price.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I dont see how talking about a PC Port of persona 5 in a thread about a pc port of persona 5 can be classified as portbegging, but ok.

Plus I'm positive we wouldnt see those people complaining about previously PC only franchises and games going to consoles, which happens all the time.

lord_lad

Banned

i know pc gaming is gaining traction and they are more console ports coming to pc than ever but are they really that much pc gamers compared to console gamers in gaf or are pc gamers just louder overall is what i am saying....

almost everytime a 3rd party exclusive (most probably for ps4), you will see at least 10 or so post calling for a pc port...if this is not portbegging, i don't know what is.

i know pc gaming is gaining traction and they are more console ports coming to pc than ever but are they really that much pc gamers compared to console gamers in gaf or are pc gamers just louder overall is what i am saying....

almost everytime a 3rd party exclusive (most probably for ps4), you will see at least 10 or so post calling for a pc port...if this is not portbegging, i don't know what is.

Then again, you get the same for any 3rd party exclusive (or not) with any platform. At this point, you just use selective memory.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Then maybe go complain about it in an applicable thread. Bad enough you brought up the stupid master race stuff to try and make a point when no one in the thread was doing that.

SparkTR

You see the exact same thing with PC-only games in Neogaf threads from PS4/Xbox users. I'm sure you're not complaining about that though. Tunnel vision or selective memory?

Omikaru

I do get the sense of a missed opportunity by any Japanese developer not releasing their top games on Steam, especially since there seems to be a market for those games on the platform now.

Alas, Atlus will do what Atlus does, and for now we've seen literally no interest from them in PC.

If they were to trial their recent games on PC, I'd say Persona 4 Golden and Catherine are probably two good games to dip their toes with. Neither game relies on any particular platform specific functionality (like the lower touch screen in Etrian games), they're both mostly 3D (though P4G still has character portraits I suppose) so will scale up to higher PC resolutions (which rules out a bunch of games like SMTIV, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers and so on, since their sprites would look ghastly on any 720p or higher display), and both enjoyed success in the West. Plus in Catherine's instance, it's using an engine (Gamebryo) that is supported on PC.
And lastly, they're 2/3 of my favourite Atlus games (the other being Persona 3, of course), so I want both of those games on PC for preservation reasons. :3

For now, however, if you want Japanese games then you need to get a PS4. I think one day in the future PC will probably be a viable alternative, but for now there's still far too many holes in the library.

I do get the sense of a missed opportunity by any Japanese developer not releasing their top games on Steam, especially since there seems to be a market for those games on the platform now.

Alas, Atlus will do what Atlus does, and for now we've seen literally no interest from them in PC.

If they were to trial their recent games on PC, I'd say Persona 4 Golden and Catherine are probably two good games to dip their toes with. Neither game relies on any particular platform specific functionality (like the lower touch screen in Etrian games), they're both mostly 3D (though P4G still has character portraits I suppose) so will scale up to higher PC resolutions (which rules out a bunch of games like SMTIV, Devil Survivor, Soul Hackers and so on, since their sprites would look ghastly on any 720p or higher display), and both enjoyed success in the West. Plus in Catherine's instance, it's using an engine (Gamebryo) that is supported on PC.
And lastly, they're 2/3 of my favourite Atlus games (the other being Persona 3, of course), so I want both of those games on PC for preservation reasons. :3

For now, however, if you want Japanese games then you need to get a PS4. I think one day in the future PC will probably be a viable alternative, but for now there's still far too many holes in the library.
I would pay a lot of money for Persona 4 Golden PC.

Also, ironic that people are talking about this being port begging. Port begging happens in threads not about potential ports, where they are a bannable offense because they derail the thread, something that the people complaining about this thread are doing right now.

Bl@de

Why are you so angry at people wanting a game on another plattform? Does it make the PS4 version worse? It's not that every game has to be multiplattform from the start. But I have a PS4 but I would be happy if Bloodborne or Persona would come to PC some day. It's always better if games are on multiple plattforms to preserve them for the future. This is especially true for PC where you can still play old games today thanks to backwards compatibility and a community that mods games to work on modern systems. But somehow I get the feeling that you are happy if games stay exclusive, just because you don't like some subreddit and its master race stupidity.

Lanrutcon

I play Valkyria Chronicles on my PC and I catch a glimpse of how things could be. A bright, shining world full of 60 fps high res PC jrpgs.

I want to believe.

I dont see how talking about a PC Port of persona 5 in a thread about a pc port of persona 5 can be classified as portbegging, but ok.

Well technically it's a thread about no pc port of persona 5. So wouldn't it be port begging to ask for one when there is none?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let the currently announced versions come out first please, it's bad enough that the game has suffered a year's delay just to accommodate the PS4 version, adding anything more and having it cause even a week's delay is beary unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom