• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
madmaxsysreqsi4scm.jpg

madmaxsysreqs_macmksxj.jpg

madmaxsysreqs_linux4ws2j.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Disable HUD: Download the HUD Toggle injector. (Credit to The Janitor.)
Significantly improve GPU performance on Linux: The Linux version currently uses OpenGL by default, however you can switch to Vulkan and potentially enjoy much higher framerates by opting into the vulkan_beta branch. To do so, right-click the game in your Steam library -> select "Properties" -> switch to the "Betas" tab -> enter livelongandprosper as a beta access code and select "vulkan_beta" from the drop-down list. (Credit to MrCunningham.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Presets: Normal; High; Very High
Fullscreen: Off; Borderless; On
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Vsync: Off; On
Anisotropic texture filtering: Off; 2; 4; 6; 8; 10; 12; 16
Geometric detail: Normal; High; Very High; Ultra High; Max
Shadows resolution: Normal; High; Very High
Number of shadowed lights: Off; Normal; High; Very High; Max
Texture detail: Normal; High
Decals: Normal; High; Very High
Motion blur: Off; On
Soft particles: Off; On
SSAO: Off; On
Point light specular: Off; On
Anti-aliasing: Off; On (presumably FXAA)
Parallax mapping on terrain: Off; On
Fog/particle upsampling quality: Normal; High
Depth of field quality: Normal; High
Volumetric light quality: Normal; High; Very High
Heat haze: Off; On

Bloom: Off; On
Landscape debris: Off; Normal; High; Very High; Ultra High; Max

Phionoxx

Seems like a respectable amount of options for right off the bat on Day 1! Really hoping this turns out just fine performance wise.

My setup:

2500K @ 4.5
16GM RAM
3GB 780 GTX SC

Edit: About one hour in so far. Very happy with performance! Solid 60FPS using Rivatuner to cap it. All settings on their max at 1080P. Haven't noticed any drops and the in-game V-Sync is working well too which is nice. Also, decent sound options! Has built in sound profiles and can also specify stereo, 5.1, and 7.1. Good stuff.

SSAO no HBAO? I know the latest nvidia driver gives MGSV HBAO I wondered if Mad MAx got it too.
What was the recommended spec again?

Bebpo

Banned
I haven't had a bad experience yet from Avalanche. All there PC games for me worked well.

Well the question is whether Avalanche is doing the PC version or if they're doing the console version and someone dirt cheap is doing the PC port aka. Arkham Knight.

This is the same Warner Brothers publisher that screwed up AK and MKX. I'm gonna be cautious until people have played it.

epmode

It's been inferred from the EULA that the game, like Arkham Knight, uses Denuvo.

Christ.

Third party authorization checks on Steam games. It kills me that these companies care so little about game preservation. Completely disposable products to them.

Phionoxx

Couple people have also said that the game recognizes DS4 and has correct button prompts. Not sure if that means native support for DS4 or through something like DS4Windows.

Phionoxx

Well the question is whether Avalanche is doing the PC version or if they're doing the console version and someone dirt cheap is doing the PC port aka. Arkham Knight.

This is the same Warner Brothers publisher that screwed up AK and MKX. I'm gonna be cautious until people have played it.

Avalanche has themselves confirmed over twitter and on a twitch stream that they handled the PC version internally - it was not ported out.

I thought I saw post or something that it is by Avalanche. I'll update this post if I find it.

edit: yes they are doing it
https://twitter.com/AvalancheSweden/status/629396997313728512

"Yes. The PC version is being developed in-house, alongside the other platforms."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
FYI, the app still has the section_type = ownersonly flag attached to it, so it won't appear on your Steam Community activity feed/profile just yet.

Edit: It was removed a few hours ago.

I wanted to buy the game on GMG it's only 30 euros, its half the price on PS4 but I don't think my 560ti would run it... I'm confused, the game doesn't look that demanding but ... I don't want to buy it and not be able to run it at all. RAM and CPU would be okay ... Just... the gpu seems outdated from their min spec

Koutsoubas

Too much Aliasing. Clearly FXAA with no advanced options. It is a console port alright!

At least it runs smoothly with no apparent problems

Corpekata

Banned
Runs like a dream at 1440p on a 970 / i5 3570k. Cranked to max, pretty much in the 80ish FPS range. And that's with no CPU or GPU overclock, I'd been troubleshooting some issues and just reset them both to stock.

It does have a weird issue of wanting to set my refresh rate to 23hz in the menu but it doesn't actually seem active in the game.

Yeah. Should easily run this @1440p or higher. But I have MGSV and then Forza 6. Poor old Max will have to wait. Does look nice though.

c0Zm1c

Is anyone else here having trouble getting invert Y to work (mouse)?

edit: oh, it works after restarting the game.

I've seen some earlier pc footage that had pretty bad pop-in ground debris and other elements while driving. Does the game's highest settings drastically improve this?

Phionoxx

DS4 button prompts are indeed native - no need to run DS4Windows! Kind of nice. It is a simple thing but it makes a difference.

Corpekata

Banned
I wish games would take a cue from the Zombi-U port of all things, and just let you choose in a menu the inputs if they exist. I like to keep DS4 Windows running because I don't want to turn off, turn on randomly depending on the game.

I mean, I don't get how that port is leading the charge there.

bathsalts

This thing isn't capped at 60 is it? If its as well performing as people are indicating, 144 would be sweet for the arcadey car combat. Im dl'ing atm, curious to get a look at the .ini as well.

Jtrizzy

Unpacking via Fly VPN East Coast USA to the UK. Says 27 minutes, but who knows, these thinbgs are a crapshoot even w/o VPN. At least it should be done in time to download MGS V.

Top Bottom