• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Atreides

I have made a puzzle oriented level. I'll be thankful for any feedback. The level is called "Can you find the exit", the id is D377-0000-0072-73B3.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Guysssssssssssssss, I'll be streaming in about an hour and a half :D

Quote this message for a link to the spreadsheet where you can add a stage.
1 per gaffer please until I've gone through the list.

I'll probably be streaming for about 3-4 hours so that's 1:30pm PST to about 4:30pm or 5:30pm

Can't wait to see what ya have for me this time.

As usual, I'll give levels about 10 or so tries before moving on if I can't beat it right there.

Looking forward to it ! Loved your previous streams :D Just submitted my stage, Chain Chomp Palace (0A00-0000-007B-F75E) so I can watch you destroy that stage like the Mario pro you are !

Well, they're the best I've heard at least although I don't really go looking for them. I checked out the Totaka's song that's near the top of the charts today since I hid the same song in one of my levels. I couldn't believe how badly someone could mess up such a simple melody. The timing was just completely off.

Oh yeah, I think bad music levels can be even more disappointing than bad automatics. A bad automatic is usually still automatic, even if it's boring to watch...you can still browse the internet while you wait or whatever. Bad music just sounds bad.

I heard one the other day where the creator didn't mute the background music so it just sounded terrible. :( I felt bad for him and left a comment on how to do it.

There's also this Zelda music that's been highly rated since the beginning, and I get why it's highly rated, it's because it's also automatic with some stuff going on...but it the timing is all off, and I don't see the point in doing music when it's just a simple melody without harmony etc.

Cuburt

If you would really like to see your sub area death data, I suggest playing your level yourself and dying in various areas to look at the X's. In some ways it's much better because it's such a close up. Really interesting to look at. You can even take a screenshot!

That is true, but I've also noticed that it only shows select deaths around where you die. Seems tedious to have to play through to a certain part of a level and having to repeatedly play and die just to get a overview of where people are dying.

I don't think they need an actual thumbs down sort of thing, they should simply use the number of skips from 100 Mario Challenge as a measure of that. And not count it as a skip if the person also starred the level, meaning they recognize that it's a good level and went out of their way to star it despite the skip.
Except that skip doesn't tell the same story as someone saying "I don't like this thing." There are plenty of levels that also throw you a hundred stars and enemies on the screen that take no effort to beat. Kind of shitty that a level like that gets thrown into certain rotations more because people are simply able to clear it while well designed levels get buried among some practically unplayable "expert" levels that few people are going to care to wade through. If people aren't even getting a chance to be exposed to a level to even give it a star (because we know everyone isn't going to star something they appreciate even if they skip it), then it's the same case of more accessible and "easy" levels getting better opportunities in the current system so over time, I'd imagine that not only would most traditional Mario levels tend to get overlooked, but people will start to feel like it's not even worth making levels like that if say an automatic level gets more attention, stars, and makes it into easy/normal 100 mario rotations more.

It's why I've stopped starring automatic levels and music levels and various levels like that which, while I appreciate the amount of work that went into some and how creative and impressive they are, I don't want to see the game flooded with similar levels, especially when others see how many stars certain types of levels get and try to copy them. And since uploading more levels are locked behind getting stars, people are encouraged to jump on trends of levels like that.

I'm just saying the game needs more way to balance out things.

Thud

I think I played enough courses today, so I like gaf to try some of mine! I made a sequel to Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels).

Mushroom World 1-2 (Lost Levels)
0178-0000-007C-5925
WVW69ib6zHwD6DBSjR

Alternate take on 1-2 from SMB, I added a cheap warp to the finish and several secrets/minigames. I took some inspiration from Lost Levels, using more mushrooms and vines.

And if you haven't played it yet, this was the first one:

Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels)
2AA0-0000-0056-DCFF
WVW69iZ__v8Y6QD5JZ

And you can check out my other levels on the link below.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/Thuddert

GokouD

Davy Jones' Bones

(EE4E-0000-007C-B083)

WVW69ib9akAVYzrVAC

WVW69ib9bL8rloLd5C

I'm back, this time with a rather unique level. I wanted to make two levels today: a vertical level and a water level people won't hate. Instead of doing both, I combined the ideas into one. What I came up with is Davy Jones' Bones. This is a speed running level, giving you only 150 seconds to get to the top of the level. Using the Airship and Underwater tilesets, I was able to really give off the illusion of progressing higher and higher. I made it so the player will know exactly how high they are, and it all feels very cohesive. It's, in my opinion, normal difficulty, as the dry bones encounters are mixed up pretty well, but I do throw you a bone in the way of power ups.

I think it all feels very natural, climbing upwards underwater. It makes me wonder why there has never been an official Nintendo made level doing this. I wanted it to autoscroll up... but given there is no option, I used a short timer to give that sense of urgency. If you play my level and throw me some feedback (optional) I'll gladly play any of yours! Just send me a code via quote or PM.

Hope you enjoy this one guys. It's not my usual style, but it's actually pretty cool!

I liked this, but I think it could be a bit shorter. I didn't actually finish it as my patience tends to run short with longer levels, but I starred it because it does have a genuine sense of verticality and the upwards climbing plant/dry bones combos were a cool idea. It also reminds me how much I need to make a Mario World water level, that tileset is gorgeous. My advice would be a few less dry bones and cheep cheeps, personally I find that kind of enemy more annoying than fun!
If you fancy some stripped back platforming try my level ROB'S Scaffolding Scramble, it's quite tough but not that long.
F4EC-0000-0070-FDB7

Nohar

I'll probably be streaming for about 3-4 hours so that's 1:30pm PST to about 4:30pm or 5:30pm

As usual, I'll give levels about 10 or so tries before moving on if I can't beat it right there.

I added a level to your list :) It is a simple classic stage, so it should work well as a "mise en bouche" for your stream. I guess you will post a link to your stream later? I think I'll watch you play a little.

Looking forward to it ! Loved your previous streams :D Just submitted my stage, Chain Chomp Palace (0A00-0000-007B-F75E) so I can watch you destroy that stage like the Mario pro you are !

Me too. I've submitted my Polar Perils stage this time with it's Gradius-style underwater boss fight!

GokouD

I have made a puzzle oriented level. I'll be thankful for any feedback. The level is called "Can you find the exit", the id is D377-0000-0072-73B3.

This has me genuinely stumped! I got past the big thwomp but I can't figure out the next part. I've starred it because it has me intrigued.
If you like puzzle levels try my level A Mario Between Worlds. It's a dual world level that I'm quite proud of.
7BB-0000-003E-1757

GokouD

If anyone is up for a challenge, try my level Trash Compactor. It's a compact 2 screen obstacle course and it currently has a clear rate of 0.95%.
Let me know what you think and I'll be happy to try one of yours.
174C-0000-006C-D1F1

Nohar

Heh. I just wanted to make two levels around one theme, but I discovered a lot of vicious ways to use a peculiar monster. And I really don't know if I should dial up or down the difficulty of the level I'm currently building (and I really enjoy building that one). I guess this will be my first ★★★★☆ once it is finished. I just hope I won't overdo it: I want people to find it fun, not frustrating.

Atreides

This has me genuinely stumped! I got past the big thwomp but I can't figure out the next part. I've starred it because it has me intrigued.
You have to turn the blocks into coins, then grab the pow and activate it where only the two blocks-turned-into-coins above the door would fall
If you like puzzle levels try my level A Mario Between Worlds. It's a dual world level that I'm quite proud of.
7BB-0000-003E-1757
I think your id is missing something, I can't find the level.

Awesome, thank you. I put my last level in. It's aquatic, but doesn't have that much diving :p

GokouD

You have to turn the blocks into coins, then grab the pow and activate it where only the two blocks-turned-into-coins above the door would fall

I think your id is missing something, I can't find the level.

Crud, it should be E7BB-0000-003E-1757.
That puzzle solution is ingenious, I'll have to go back and finish it lster.

Neki

Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Neki gave so many power ups only to "maintain theme", but more as a way to simulate checkpoints. That's the sense I got anyway, from playing and discussing with him, that he's big on player agency and not forcing the player to start over if they've made good progress. Given the generous length and challenge level of each section, I'd say the difficulty is balanced really well with the multiple power ups.

You're spot on. I do power ups for theme, and to make sure the player has the best chance of performing as well as they can. I don't want my stages to be endurance tests, I don't want a player to lose because they had to go through the whole level with one life, if a player dies it's because they died from something they could control, all goes back to player choice. That's why I hate invisible hazards or invisible blocks or areas where you need to die because you have no knowledge of the area otherwise. It doesn't feel fair to the player otherwise. I'm okay with people having to start over, as long as it was not the stage's fault for cheesing them or being unreasonably hard.

All coming from an intermediate map maker, so take it with a grain of salt

zeioIIDX

Dashie's Ouch House: 05FE-0000-007C-33D5. Just a quick stage I whipped up for Dashie on YouTube. Not really hard. Not really fun. *sigh* I need to try some new things in my stages. I've yet to use the clown car or make a scrolling stage just yet.

Except that skip doesn't tell the same story as someone saying "I don't like this thing." There are plenty of levels that also throw you a hundred stars and enemies on the screen that take no effort to beat. Kind of shitty that a level like that gets thrown into certain rotations more because people are simply able to clear it while well designed levels get buried among some practically unplayable "expert" levels that few people are going to care to wade through. If people aren't even getting a chance to be exposed to a level to even give it a star (because we know everyone isn't going to star something they appreciate even if they skip it), then it's the same case of more accessible and "easy" levels getting better opportunities in the current system so over time, I'd imagine that not only would most traditional Mario levels tend to get overlooked, but people will start to feel like it's not even worth making levels like that if say an automatic level gets more attention, stars, and makes it into easy/normal 100 mario rotations more.

Maybe instead of an overt thumbs down system, you could put in a thing like "how would you classify this level?" and you could call it easy, medium, hard, auto, music, puzzle etc. like some of the categorization sites are doing. Then you could say, "don't show me levels that most users have tagged Star Run," or whatever. Of course you would still have to see some, for ones that haven't really been categorized yet, but that would help a lot without needing to be explicitly negative.

Kyzon

I added my level to the mix, looking forward to it!

I added my latest level to your list, I don't really need the exposure but I appreciate getting a look at how others react to my levels, and having a recording I can share with others.

Awesome, thank you. I put my last level in. It's aquatic, but doesn't have that much diving :p

Thanks! I'm about to go live in a couple minutes :D

www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

Restarting my computer in hopes that my microphone works, lol

Link Man

Banned
World 3 done!

3-1: Descent in the Dark
3-2: Through the Woods
3-3: Koopa City
3-4: Bowser Jr's Stronghold

My previous levels:

My levels so far, tried to stick with a theme and create progression.

1-1: Gold Mountain Foothills
1-2: Golden Mountain Ascent
1-3: Gold Mountain Chasm
1-4: Gold Mountain Horde

(It may be easier to just enter 1-1, then click on my profile on the level card. If you do, start at the bottom and just head up for progression.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks for streaming my level, Bjoern. Glad to see you liked it (by looking at the chat; I couldn't post in there due to english-only limitation :( ). Also,
you found the secret path, the one leading directly to the top of the pole! In the final segment, you had to push one P-Switch and carry the other to the platform indicated by the arrow (there was also a giant P near that) and then activate it, but it seems you could reach the flying koopas anyway thanks to Yoshi. I'm glad you showed it :D

Also, since I seem to have enough time today, more feedbacks on 1-1 levels (this time, from the second group)

P-ractice
Code: F674-0000-0059-7577

Good job. Honestly, it didn't revolve around the P Switch that much, but it's still a decent first level. Especially considering how you created paths for speedruns. It's something I'm making for my 1-1 too. :p

NeoGAF....Believe!
47B6-0000-005A-F748

My only criticism is about the length of the level, maybe a bit too short. But it's still pretty good: not difficult, but not boring, it plays well for both first-time players and veterans. Also
that bonus area that just long-time Mario players could enter in by noticing the part of coin on the higher part of the screen. That area was crazy too
. Very good indeed.

Title: Rocky Roads
86BF 0000 0043 10C7

Quite a challenge and it's very fun. The only problem is that it's too difficult for a supposedly 1-1 level. But, as a mid-to-late game level, for example, it'd be pretty good.

The Beginner's Guide To Mario
Code: BE18-0000-004D-59FC

Neat. It plays nicely, it features a supplementary challenge (a compelling one too, I could make it right in time). Decent job.

Alternate World 1-1 (BE58-0000-004C-75CD)

Basic, but nice. Good section in the air. Good job.

Super Mario World 1-0.5
AF4D-0000-005D-D019

Great course, I really like the multi-path approach. I think that
maybe the part in the Flower path with blocks on trails could be a bit too tricky for a first level
, but the whole level flows very well. Great job.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-1
D5CF-0000-0059-461C

I played the other version already, but since this is a new version: the setting is great, very cool ideas. Maybe the last room is too hard for a 1-1 level, but you don't need it
since you can just jump to the pole with a classic Yoshi-kill jump
. Still, I really like it, very good job :D

Omega Mario 1-1

0CA4-0000-0043-010C

The Mario feeling is huge here. It really plays like a classic Mario level. Very, very good job. :D

Ok, that's it for now. I'll continue tomorrow.

Cuburt

Interesting idea, but
not knowing how it only makes coins fall if they are visible on the screen meant that I probably wouldn't have figured this out. I think having a different layout or using that sublevel room to guide people to the concept of a pow making coins fall, specifically if they are on the screen, would have done more to help people figure it out on their own.

Maybe if you had something like a platform of coins-turned-blocks that you can only access once you hit the P-Switch which is in the right position to scroll the coin to jump on out of the screen, or once you introduce the concept in the subroom, you make the puzzle part of the main room more difficult since people can already wrap their head around what they are supposed to do once they put 2 and 2 together.

Cuburt

Maybe instead of an overt thumbs down system, you could put in a thing like "how would you classify this level?" and you could call it easy, medium, hard, auto, music, puzzle etc. like some of the categorization sites are doing. Then you could say, "don't show me levels that most users have tagged Star Run," or whatever. Of course you would still have to see some, for ones that haven't really been categorized yet, but that would help a lot without needing to be explicitly negative.

That could help for avoiding types of levels you don't want to play, but I think that would be more geared towards search filters than really fixing 100 Mario challenge. Though I do like the idea of players giving their own ranking, I still don't think it captures everything. Including a very easy and a brutal/punishing difficulty level would do more to really sort out more consistent difficulty at least.

Maybe I just would like to tell people I don't like their design in one simple click that is less harsh than leaving a comment, while also not forcing me to give them a star I don't feel the deserve. But that's just me.

Molemitts

I've been working on this level for a bit and I have a few other ones, but this I have put a lot of effort into. It's based around a factory aesthetic so I have the level design and the puzzles in it work around that. I had some really cool ideas, but many of them towards the end didn't work out so well, so it didn't end up as good as I hoped but I still would like some feedback and I might work on a similar idea for a level another time.

Please tell me what you think.

WVW69ib-mlEPeUz9Ft

1E0F-0000-007D-4BBF

DoubleYou

Hey GAF,
I finally made a water level. I got pretty creative with it so I hope some of you will try it.
It's not too long, not too difficult and I tried to capture the SMB3 feel of water levels. Something about that style that I really loved as a kid.
So have fun!

That One Annoying Water Level
C429-0000-007D-5599

WVW69ib-sYw93tT8Tp

one_kill

Tried my hand at a shorter course.

10 seconds to finish: 08F9-0000-007C-6742
As the level's name implies, you only have 10 seconds to finish the course.

ciD_Vain

This is a nice level, but there are a few things to take into consideration:
  • Mario can clip through thwomps and get stuck on top of them (putting bullet bill blasters on top of thwomps prevents this).
  • Yoshi can get stuck in the Yoshi path in the alcove you made to trap the koopa shell and the fire bar pit.
  • If you don't get to the coins blocking the pipe before the p-switch timer ends the only way forward is to go back for a koopa shell to knock out the bottom bricks and duck slide under them to break the rest. You can only ground pound if you bring yoshi, and most players probably won't think Yoshi can get up there.
  • Magikoopas can destroy one-way walls. Players can access your bonus Yoshi and fire flower very easily when the wall gets destroyed. To prevent this, put the yoshi and fire flower on the other side of the pipe and make the exit pipe one-way by placing a perpendicular pipe inside it.
  • Getting past the thwomp and munchers only requires yoshi and a helmet. Following that the player is trapped in a room with a big bob-omb with no way to hit it unless they also happen to have fire mario. Why is the one-way wall here?
Thanks for the feedback! I fixed everything that you mentioned :)

If anyone else would like to give it a go, here is the fixed level:

The Three Themed Doors
8D76-0000-007D-386A

tried out some GAF levels:

Wow. I was so frustrated trying to figure this out but I did it! Cool design, though you have to know the mechanics of certain items to get through it. Starred and commented!

If anyone is up for a challenge, try my level Trash Compactor. It's a compact 2 screen obstacle course and it currently has a clear rate of 0.95%.
Let me know what you think and I'll be happy to try one of yours.
174C-0000-006C-D1F1
I couldn't clear this LOL. I still starred it for you.
A new one from me. A bit tricky but hope you enjoy it.

Tower Trials of Powers

829C-0000-007D-39F0
Finished and starred it but I think it needs refining. A lot of different ideas that end rather quickly. Some areas are too small to have room to jump on enemies. There are also some random things like that spring in the beginning, not sure what it was for but I thought I needed it so I brought it with me almost halfway through the level until I realized it was useless. Overall some good ideas but it needs more focus on a theme.

Yeah I can usually get through my stage only getting hit once. It's funny the only area I ever get hit is the platform area with fire bars and cannon balls even though the fire and cannon balls are always in the same place. But looking at my completion rate (below 10%) and the areas where people die, its surprising to me how often people struggle.

I wish I could see deaths in sub areas because there are more deaths in all the other areas before the platform area, where the platform area is definitely the hardest. Maybe it's because once you get to that area, you must be good at the level but who knows. It's really interesting to think about.

I got hit a few times but like I said, I feel the level is pretty fair for a late game mario level. With MM though you'll have a really wide variety of player skill levels and I do think it is probably to hard for beginners. But imo its fine to have levels that just require more skill to beat. I love your level. For the record I thought the firebar canon part was one of the easier parts :p

Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Neki gave so many power ups only to "maintain theme", but more as a way to simulate checkpoints. That's the sense I got anyway, from playing and discussing with him, that he's big on player agency and not forcing the player to start over if they've made good progress. Given the generous length and challenge level of each section, I'd say the difficulty is balanced really well with the multiple power ups.

I wasn't trying to imply that is the only reason there are a lot of power ups. The level is balanced well. I dont think that's arguable. But the level is also being eased significantly by the use of all the power ups especially for a more experienced player because the ratio of challenge(distance) to power up placement is low. I think he could completely get away with less power ups BUT if the level is based around Rosalina you can't really have large gaps of it without access to her. That was what I was getting at. It does at some point become a necessity to add in more mystery mushrooms simply because the level loses theme if you don't.

So...I dunno the best way to make posts like this. I don't want to seem braggy in the least, if anything I'm kind of embarrassed...

I've somehow made it up to #4 on the North America all time chart, and I think #22 worldwide. It's pretty nuts!

You can see by the dates on here, it took 9 days to get the first 5000 stars, then the next took only 5, then 2, then 2 again, just now:

I really don't deserve it, because I've seen and played so many great levels here and on other forums, that I'm just like...dude that is a GENIUS idea, and then it's got like 15 stars at most. It's not fair.

You're right about lots of great levels going unoticed. You're flatout incorrect about you not deserving it though. You make great levels, you shouldn't try to take away from that just because others are not as fortunate in that regard. Its nice to see some gaffers making it big especially when they also will take the time to check out the communities levels as well.

aubrey76

Neo Member
Course inspired by Silent Hills P.T.

Course Title: Mario P.T. [Version 3]

Course Id: 88A3-0000-007D-61A2

Update: Version 3 has minor changes to the conveyor belt/bomb puzzle to prevent players from skipping the puzzle. Thank you for your feedback!

Neki

Thanks for everyone who watched my stream. Played a lot of levels and pretty much every single one was a lot of fun and/or very creative.
If anyone missed the stream, wants to rewatch it or both, you can do so on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgXNztdJs4

At the time of this writing the video is currently being processed and will probably take a bit of time (it's a bit over two hours long), so you might wanna F5 that tab in a few minutes or hours. ;)
I'm so sad I watched it and you had trouble with my level. :( makes me feel bad watching people die on my course lol. Glad you gave it a couple of good shots though! Appreciate you streaming it.

NetMapel

Neki's Rosalina stage is pretty cool. I saw it on stream yesterday from a GAF. He was able to get through the stage with Rosalina's POSITIVE ATTITUDE (Yay !). She is Positina :D

That could help for avoiding types of levels you don't want to play, but I think that would be more geared towards search filters than really fixing 100 Mario challenge. Though I do like the idea of players giving their own ranking, I still don't think it captures everything. Including a very easy and a brutal/punishing difficulty level would do more to really sort out more consistent difficulty at least.

Maybe I just would like to tell people I don't like their design in one simple click that is less harsh than leaving a comment, while also not forcing me to give them a star I don't feel the deserve. But that's just me.

All a thumbs down is really going to do is promote people spamming them and shitting on levels for no reason because right now if you do not like levels they do not get starred and they do not have positive comments. I also in general find that you don't really need people to tell you they don't like your level if you are not going to say why. I personally don't wanna see a bunch of thimbs down on my levels for no listed reason. Serves no purpose. For reference if you exit a level without staring and then comment from the played courses list they do not get a star as far as I'm aware.

Jucksalbe

Banned
New Super Mario World 1-1
97E5-0000-0052-4858

This one is a good attempt. The only thing I didn't like was
how the final pipe brings the player directly on top of the ending pole. There should be a small challenge at the end, to see if the player is good enough to reach the top of the pole, without punishing him/her if he/she can't reach it. By putting the final pipe there, you erase that small final challenge
Aside from that, it was good and interesting enough.

Thanks! The problem with that final part was mainly that I ran out of space. Not sure if I was out of blocks as well, or else I guess I could have just put it it higher up and put enough blocks around the area so that you wouldn't notice.

Fireblend

Banned
Spent some time playing levels yesterday for inspiration and ended up creating a new level today. I'd love to get some feedback, as always. This one shouldn't take more than a couple of lives to beat, since there's plenty of power ups and it's pretty gimmick-less (except for the Fox/Peppy mushrooms I guess :p). Hopefully it's not too bland. Enjoy!

UMj80tA.png

And here are my old ones, just in case:

A6cpPkw.png

6KACffh.png

EP4oxUs.png

CfN1hq2.png

I'll be playing some more GAF levels later tonight. If anyone plays mine and needs some stars themselves be sure to leave some feedback here or on miiverse since that's where I'll look first for what to play.

Also, I'm just 2 stars away from 50. Yay!

pulsemyne

Finished and starred it but I think it needs refining. A lot of different ideas that end rather quickly. Some areas are too small to have room to jump on enemies. There are also some random things like that spring in the beginning, not sure what it was for but I thought I needed it so I brought it with me almost halfway through the level until I realized it was useless. Overall some good ideas but it needs more focus on a theme.

The spring at the beginning is just there for help and a bit of fun. The first section is basically not something too difficult and gentle introduction. It's also an introduction to the tower idea e.g you go down and then all the way back up and vice versa.
The problem with the various powers such as fireflower etc is that they aren't vital to completing a level in mario games. Their only purpose is to make things easier. Conversely it also also the strength of mario games as it means nothing is vital to doing a level. You can do any level just as small mario. Exploring levels though and getting the most out of them is where the power ups work well.
I was very conscious of making each section as doable with small mario as with a powered mario. It's the way nintendo do it so I try and follow that way.
As for the sections where the jumping (height wise) is tight, well that's part design (making it difficult) but also the problem with a tower idea. You only have so much vertical space to play with so it's tricky to make some interesting.
Anyway thanks for the constructive criticism. Very much appreciated. Now if you want a real challenge you should try my Fire and Ice level...

NetMapel

Ok ! Finally just completed my first platforming only stage with Super Mario Maker ! It is called the Chain Chomp Palace ! It is a very acrobatic and platforming heavy stage that I would say is an intermediate to hard stage. There is no unfair death or invisible blocks that will mess you up. It's just pure platforming and nothing else with a dose of chain chomps along the way. It is a short but sweet stage and I am thinking I will probably have to make changes to this stage later on to improve it even more. However, I really hope you guys have fun with this and please provide feedback whenever you have the time. I've been streaming several session of GAFer's Mario stages, so I hope I can also get some feedback back myself as well in return. Anyways, here it is, please take a look:

Name: Chain Chomp Palace
ID: 0A00-0000-007B-F75E

I've also provided a video of my play through for this stage just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0bSbeTLmc&ab_channel=ShibaFanGaming. Obviously I'd love for you guys to play the stage first, but I've finally found the "best practice" per say, for this stage after many many tries. So if you're stuck and would like to see how I survived, please watch the video for the little things I did to survive :)

Feel free to also use my Youtube link to look up all the other NeoGAF stages I've played previously in my Super Mario Maker playlist :)

Anyways, feedback welcomed !

Neki

Thanks! I'm about to go live in a couple minutes :D

www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

Restarting my computer in hopes that my microphone works, lol

Thanks for streaming my level, it's really interesting watching people interacting with your stage. My biggest regrets are still the one saw area and the chain chomp area. People don't seem to follow the shell and it doesn't kill all the chain chomps, usually leaving the huge one big one, play testing error on my part. People also never back track to use the shell to kill it. I'm so glad you barely made the p block timing otherwise you would have been stuck forever lol. Thanks for playing it!

Tanwo

After finally unlocking everything for the editor, I’ve made my second level, World X-2.
It has the same theme of my first level, it is a SMB level that could have been in the original NES game (or at least, that was my intention!). In this one, I’ve also included a little secret, which could not have been in the original game, but I thought would be fun

WVW69ib8xsMfJCJIcE

World X-2
82B5-0000-007C-C0FF

Any feedback is welcome!

Also, while I still haven’t played many GAF levels (I have some written down for later, I will get to them some day), I played two levels that I wanted to highlight:

Golden Fortress (0EE5 0000 0034 5018) by Dimentios
Nice level, both aesthetically and in design.

Dry Bones is building the level (3DC3-0000-0068-9D12) by Storm Kyleis
Interesting use of warp pipes, and a funny idea. Though, there was one part where I think I missed something:
After entering the pipe the second time, the one-way door is reversed and there is no vine to go up, I suppose you have to get the propeller mushroom, but I’m not sure how to.

Cuburt

All a thumbs down is really going to do is promote people spamming them and shitting on levels for no reason because right now if you do not like levels they do not get starred and they do not have positive comments. I also in general find that you don't really need people to tell you they don't like your level if you are not going to say why. I personally don't wanna see a bunch of thimbs down on my levels for no listed reason. Serves no purpose. For reference if you exit a level without staring and then comment from the played courses list they do not get a star as far as I'm aware.

If you skip a level it doesn't show up in your played levels list and sometimes I just want to comment on the part of the course like "This jump right here, over the pit, with the wall of Bowsers that suddenly appears on your head, is terrible."

As it is, you have praise with no listed reason which serves you no purpose other than stroking your ego, if you want to talk about constructive feedback.

I get that Nintendo doesn't like to operate in this way but if there is no other way to balance things out, and things already start skewing in a disproportionate direction in a way that was not intended, and in the case of 100 Mario Challenge, which is a big part of the game and how people stumble upon random levels, it serves to it's detriment.

Cuburt

Thanks for everyone who watched my stream. Played a lot of levels and pretty much every single one was a lot of fun and/or very creative.
If anyone missed the stream, wants to rewatch it or both, you can do so on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgXNztdJs4

At the time of this writing the video is currently being processed and will probably take a bit of time (it's a bit over two hours long), so you might wanna F5 that tab in a few minutes or hours. ;)

Thanks for the play. Even if you didn't complete it, you were able to give me some valuable info for how someone might play that never encountered my level before.

Top Bottom