• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Your assumptions is that people's only purpose would be to dislike something that has value and bury it, but I'm not convinced that people can make stuff that would offend others enough to unfairly target it. Sure, certain themed types of levels can get unfairly targeted as much as things can become overly praised on the inverse (picture auto level being pretty divisive in reality, but you wouldn't know that just looking at ranking for some levels as it is now) yet I would argue, similar to YouTube, if something has value, there are still going to be people who like it and unlike this idea where something divisive becomes a pariah where it is shunned and ignored, it simply become controversial and that holds a certain interest for people as well.

I just don't like that people want to rid the creative process of criticism when that is the most helpful thing about sharing our levels. Not just to have people praise what we do and stroke our egos but tell use where they were getting stuck, how they got trapped in part of the level, how that blind jump or random enemy ruined the flow of things, etc. but since it's set up so you can't comment in the level without leaving a star, it's already discouraging anything BUT the positive comments from people who already "like" it.

It would be much more beneficial for me for the15 people who actually bothered to play my level to have some of those people give a dislike rather than getting 2 stars (yay I guess), 6 completions (was it too easy? was it fun? was it boring? was it memorable), and a bunch of people who didn't finish and didn't star it that gives me no comment or feedback of any sort, from the game or otherwise. Granted, if 100 people played it and there were only 2 stars and 6 completions, that could tell you something, but given that I have a few levels I've uploaded a few days ago that have had next to no plays, that complete lack of feedback isn't made up for by the amount of people who play it.

I don't think a dislike has to be the only solution, but I'd argue a game like this needs something like that and the discouragement of criticism is something that I think was a poor decision with this game while I've defended and agreed with Nintendo's use of it in other instances. No dislikes in Miiverse made it a more positive community. This is different because of how you are presented with a level unlike on a Miiverse message board. Reminds me some of the Flipnote community for the DSi which only had stars and it kind of works the same where there would be certain trends that would emerge and people would make animations for stars or outright ask for stars. People begging for yeahs on Miiverse doesn't do much, but in Mario Maker where you aren't allowed to upload more levels unless you receive a certain number of stars, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more of that type of behavior, because that's what this system encourages.

No, my point is a dislike button is neither conductive of actual constructive criticism nor is it something that gets used properly in 95% of applications that have it. The youtube dislike bar does not serve to improve the quality of youtube videos nor does it actually say anything about the video being shown. It just shows a bunch of people dislike for reasons legitimate or illegitimate on what is being displayed. Will thinga be unfairly targeted? Yes. Will things be boosted that don't deserve it? Its not our call to decide for the community what is worthy of likes. People like what they like. We can absolutely say however that the dislike button will get abused because all dislike buttons get abused on the internet.

Where is the value of that in Mario Maker? Its a level design tool. 98% of everything uploaded in any design tool is shit. Are we going to dislike every terribly executed piece of design in order to create a system of voted gems? Eh no, the point as I said was that the game was never ever going to about dog piling on all the shit until only what was "good" remained. Getting a dislike instead of nothing is not going to tell you anything constructive about how to improve. It just changes the ambiguous didnt care enough to star into cared enough to say it sucked.

If you genuinely think that is going to help you improve your levels I really have nothing to say. I don't have a problem with a better feedback system. The game needs communuty features and much better search options. Dislikes however have always been a garbage feedback system designed for people to say "sucky" without actually having to put any effort into why it is not good and there is zero value in a game where it can take days to create something to have people throw dislikes seconds into it without any actual comments. I personally do not care if people dont like my shit but a bunch of dislikes next to my stars is not going to say anything where I can improve that I wouldn't be able to pick up with what is currently in the game. If your concern is low plays skewing valuable input that imo is far more linked to allowing players to have all these active levels in the 100 man mario mix. I have 5 levels. Someone else has 10. Even if my 5 are excellent their levels will be seen twice as much on the basis of any level can get pulled from the possible pool.

If you want to have actual feedback what needs to be done is to have a creators corner section where levels enabled to be upload there can get more thorough explanations and tags based on criteria that is common to making things unenjoyable. Eg too long, too many enemies, too easy, trial and error etc. Then you can get actual criticism in an area where people who want to see it for learning purposes can. Even there dislikes serve no purpose. Criticism amd insight is not gained because a dislike button exists.

And as a side note I don't really see why it matters if people beg for stars. Ignore, move on. If you give it to them the world has not ended. If you don't the world is not a better place because you said no to a star. I don't really see the issue if this happens.

B_Bech

Okay, so my latest level is something I've been tinkering with on and off for a while. Seeing how poorly received aquatic levels are, making a marine stage people really ENJOY became my prime objective. Itook a few alright stabs at the task, grasping at greatness... but nothing truly wow'd me. Now, I adore water levels. When I tested the levels, I had a blast. But that was me, not the players... Things that I felt weren't hard at all, proved to be a considerable challenge for many players, scorning 'water levels' in the comments.

If you'd like to see these attempts in chronological order:
Big Trouble in Retro Reef
(42A1-0000-0023-7736)

Rosalina's Interplanetary Stroll
(A9F9-0000-0051-512D)

Steampunk Deep Dive Jive
(E3B7-0000-005E-87F2)

Davy Jones' Bones
(EE4E-0000-007C-B083)

Each of these levels I can clear without getting hit once, in exception to Retro Reef-- the third stage and has a plethora of issues on its own. The stages, I felt, were pretty simple. As you might guess, I was highly disappointed when I discovered the clear rates were so low. I racked my brain, trying to come up with a concept that would work. Well, I think I've finally managed to do so.

Tanooki City Sewer

(D71E-0000-007D-AE22)

WVW69ib_9QYmrT3bdY

WVW69ib_9xcAPxiD_8

WVW69ib_7tEWRCYa5i

This level is set in the sewers of Tanooki City, a large metropolis in the Mushroom Kingdom, circa the Mario 3 era. Mario returns to his plumbing roots as he trudges through the city's sewer system. It includes water currents, sneaky fish and several dry sections for players to catch their breath. It's non-linear with a few diverging paths to take. Three hidden 1-ups, of course, for replay value. I'm happy with the concepts, and I think it even looks rather pretty (for a sewer.) I've been studying Nintendo's approach to level design, as a few of you may know-- and I've applied all that I've learned.

So here it is, the labor of my love. I hope you play it and have fun. If you do try it, let me know what you think. This is my final exam of sorts, and I'm looking for grades!

New level! 4FD3-0000-007D-A6AB

Airship/castle level with medium difficulty. Free the prisoners and find your way out of Magikoopa's prison.

WU6XKkq.png

Dry Bones is building the level (3DC3-0000-0068-9D12) by Storm Kyleis
Interesting use of warp pipes, and a funny idea. Though, there was one part where I think I missed something:
After entering the pipe the second time, the one-way door is reversed and there is no vine to go up, I suppose you have to get the propeller mushroom, but I’m not sure how to.
Thanks!
Yes, you need the Propeller Mushroom for the second secret. You just have to be quick enough to catch it.

Going to check out a few of the levels here in a bit, and I will be sure to write up my thoughts on them.

Ok, so I have been having some trouble with my levels. From what I gather, completion rate wise, I am making my levels quite difficult, even though to me they feel like medium difficulty at worst. They've all had a gimmick of some sort, so I thought, let me try and make a Nintendo style Mario level instead. I am hoping that this isn't too difficult, although I still tried to make it a challenge.

"Sham's Path"

Traditional Mario level. Multiple paths. A few secrets. A fair, non BS challenge for sure.

493F-0000-007D-D655

Would appreciate any critique, particularly on the difficulty of the level.

Just finished up Wario's Mystery Mansion 3 the highly anticipated (by all 14 people who started the first two) third entry into my Wario Land-inspired ghost houses. Equal parts platforming, puzzle solving and maze navigating, just like the old Wario Land games! I'll be on for another 30 minutes or so, so let me know if you test it out and give me some constructive criticism, and also give me some GAF levels to try :)! I'll try a few from the last few pages but if there's anything in particular you want me to try, let me know!

Wario's Mystery Mansion 3 - D092-0000-0078-4DEC
WVW69ibqgp4AhEQv-y

If youre a fan, here are the first 2 Wario's Mystery Mansion levels for more mansion-escaping goodness (#1 is still my favourite):
Wario's Mystery Mansion - 5984-0000-003F-1AA7
Wario's Mystery Mansion 2 - 4792-0000-0048-C869

Sephzilla

Going to check out a few of the levels here in a bit, and I will be sure to write up my thoughts on them.

Ok, so I have been having some trouble with my levels. From what I gather, completion rate wise, I am making my levels quite difficult, even though to me they feel like medium difficulty at worst. They've all had a gimmick of some sort, so I thought, let me try and make a Nintendo style Mario level instead. I am hoping that this isn't too difficult, although I still tried to make it a challenge.

"Sham's Path"

Traditional Mario level. Multiple paths. A few secrets. A fair, non BS challenge for sure.

493F-0000-007D-D655

I liked it! Difficulty felt fair without feeling cheap. Only critique I can think of is that the difficulty of that ice block section ramped up surprisingly fast. Also
nice hidden pipe back to the start as a checkpoint

Tanooki City Sewer

(D71E-0000-007D-AE22)

WVW69ib_9QYmrT3bdY

WVW69ib_9xcAPxiD_8

WVW69ib_7tEWRCYa5i

This level is set in the sewers of Tanooki City, a large metropolis in the Mushroom Kingdom, circa the Mario 3 era. Mario returns to his plumbing roots as he trudges through the city's sewer system. It includes water currents, sneaky fish and several dry sections for players to catch their breath. It's non-linear with a few diverging paths to take. Three hidden 1-ups, of course, for replay value. I'm happy with the concepts, and I think it even looks rather pretty (for a sewer.) I've been studying Nintendo's approach to level design, as a few of you may know-- and I've applied all that I've learned.

So here it is, the labor of my love. I hope you play it and have fun. If you do try it, let me know what you think. This is my final exam of sorts, and I'm looking for grades!
Fantastic level. I love the way you used conveyor belts to simulate water currents, blue platforms for the city floor and all those little details. It's fun and has a good pace for a water level, well done.

Okay, so my latest level is something I've been tinkering with on and off for a while. Seeing how poorly received aquatic levels are, making a marine stage people really ENJOY became my prime objective. Itook a few alright stabs at the task, grasping at greatness... but nothing truly wow'd me. Now, I adore water levels. When I tested the levels, I had a blast. But that was me, not the players... Things that I felt weren't hard at all, proved to be a considerable challenge for many players, scorning 'water levels' in the comments.

(42A1-0000-0023-7736)

(A9F9-0000-0051-512D)

Steampunk Deep Dive Jive
(E3B7-0000-005E-87F2)

Davy Jones' Bones
(EE4E-0000-007C-B083)

Each of these levels I can clear without getting hit once, in exception to Retro Reef-- the third stage and has a plethora of issues on its own. The stages, I felt, were pretty simple. As you might guess, I was highly disappointed when I discovered the clear rates were so low. I racked my brain, trying to come up with a concept that would work. Well, I think I've finally managed to do so.

Tanooki City Sewer

(D71E-0000-007D-AE22)

WVW69ib_9QYmrT3bdY

WVW69ib_9xcAPxiD_8

WVW69ib_7tEWRCYa5i

Awesome level! The aesthetic is amazing.

Sephzilla

(42A1-0000-0023-7736)

(A9F9-0000-0051-512D)

Steampunk Deep Dive Jive
(E3B7-0000-005E-87F2)

Davy Jones' Bones
(EE4E-0000-007C-B083)

Tanooki City Sewer

(D71E-0000-007D-AE22)

WVW69ib_9QYmrT3bdY

WVW69ib_9xcAPxiD_8

WVW69ib_7tEWRCYa5i

Really enjoyed this level! Cool use of conveyor belts and the difficulty felt appropriate. You made the available space in the level feel a lot bigger than it actually was. Nice work!

(42A1-0000-0023-7736)

(A9F9-0000-0051-512D)

Steampunk Deep Dive Jive
(E3B7-0000-005E-87F2)

Davy Jones' Bones
(EE4E-0000-007C-B083)

Tanooki City Sewer

(D71E-0000-007D-AE22)

WVW69ib_9QYmrT3bdY

WVW69ib_9xcAPxiD_8

WVW69ib_7tEWRCYa5i

That sewer aesthetic was absurdly good. I think it was a good level too. Lot of power ups. Cool way to reach the secret too. Very clever. Starred. Played 4 times.

Added a new level last night and would appreciate feedback. Currently only one person has played it. Ended up scrapping plans on a more gimmicky level involving the throwing mechanic when I found something eerily similar already uploaded by another user...heh.

Pick-a-Path Palace
24BF-0000-007B-AFF3

I've hidden four 1-ups throughout the various paths. I tried to include different paths that are both obvious and not so obvious. It uses the SMB3 tile set and I tried to avoid any unfair or unwinnable areas. Thanks for playing!

Feel free to check my previous stage too! Pick-a-Path Park 6B43-0000-006A-9DC1

I've been working on this level for a bit and I have a few other ones, but this I have put a lot of effort into. It's based around a factory aesthetic so I have the level design and the puzzles in it work around that. I had some really cool ideas, but many of them towards the end didn't work out so well, so it didn't end up as good as I hoped but I still would like some feedback and I might work on a similar idea for a level another time.

Please tell me what you think.

WVW69ib-mlEPeUz9Ft

1E0F-0000-007D-4BBF

Really enjoyed this level. I like the various puzzles and overall design. Despite being a simple mechanic, for some reason I enjoyed timing the jump to get the mushroom early on in the level.

I liked it! Difficulty felt fair without feeling cheap. Only critique I can think of is that the difficulty of that ice block section ramped up surprisingly fast. Also
nice hidden pipe back to the start as a checkpoint

Thanks for the input. I want to create a wall jumping specific level that ramps of the difficulty a lot slower

VandalD

Was going to make a level named You're In Hot Water. It wouldn't let me. Took me a minute to see why. Instead:

The Water Is Hot
709F-0000-007D-F2B4

It's my first water level. It's meant to be on the difficult side, but it should feel fair. Let me know what you think. I'll play some levels here in the meantime.

RagnarokX

The completion rating on this is 0.60%

Much too high for my liking. I am working on a sequel that might be in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Well, like I said, the fair part of the course is fairly easy. Most of my deaths came from Bowser because his fireballs are random and that's cheap when the player only has so much space to work with.

kiryogi

Banned

Much too high for my liking. I am working on a sequel that might be in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LOL here most folks me included are sad at low completion rates, but you want it low. I guess its like when Panga was all D: @ 8 people completing P-Switch.

Well, like I said, the fair part of the course is fairly easy. Most of my deaths came from Bowser because his fireballs are random and that's cheap when the player only has so much space to work with.

It is true. I have not removed RNG entirely from this one, but it is much less of a factor. Tight timing windows and execution.

I keep running into the object limit. Why must you constrain the darkness in me, Nintendo?

LOL here most folks me included are sad at low completion rates, but you want it low. I guess its like when Panga was all D: @ 8 people completing P-Switch.

I think you can design a level fairly easy that sits at nearly 0% completion using shitty designs. Making one sitting near 0% that doesn't feel cheap, that is the sweet spot!

Sephzilla

Honestly Bowser needs to go from this level. His RNG ruins this level because it's an actually fun stage when the fun ruining bullshit isn't happening

kiryogi

Banned
Was going to make a level named You're In Hot Water. It wouldn't let me. Took me a minute to see why. Instead:

The Water Is Hot
709F-0000-007D-F2B4

It's my first water level. It's meant to be on the difficult side, but it should feel fair. Let me know what you think. I'll play some levels here in the meantime.

Nothing is fair about water levels. XD

Camjo-Z

I made a level that's pretty easy to dash though if you want, but also has a second route with an optional boss battle.

WVW69icA7yI6X63FR0

You Can Do It All! (D5A6-0000-007D-F7E8)

The Water Is Hot
709F-0000-007D-F2B4

Good level! Difficulty is indeed fair and the alternate path is fun to go for as well.

Honestly Bowser needs to go from this level. His RNG ruins this level because it's an actually fun stage when the fun ruining bullshit isn't happening

I may do a remix after I am done with this current course. I have tried to solve a lot of tricky little things to control pressure so it isn't entirely mechanical, but also isn't frustrating RNG. Will be fun to go back and apply some of that.

A very tiny preview.

3TeImwA.gif

Svafnir

Tried making a real easy level that almost anyone can beat. Also tried making it a vertical level where you climb from the inside of a mountain to the top. Originally it was going to be a lot more complex but there just isn't enough room in tight spaces for good jumps and what not.

But easy classic mario style levels have their place too right?

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/2504/the-mountain

VandalD

Wario's Mystery Mansion 3
D092-0000-0078-4DEC
Starred, but I lost patience on this one in the room where you need a star to progress. I didn't find it immediately somehow (it is in a fairly hard to miss spot, but you should never be surprised when someone misses your hidden block). I actually got into that pipe by just jumping. I didn't find the vine until later attempts, so I figured I went in there backwards or something, and so I went through the loop thinking I missed something elsewhere. Finally found the star, then got stuck because I ran out of time with it. Next attempt I ran out of p-block time. Next attempt I missed one jump in that same room, meaning I'd have to start over again. I didn't feel like getting back to that point again. It's not a bad level, I just get frustrated the most at levels where you can do nothing but die or start over. Maybe I missed something that made it still beatable.
Nice concept for the level. I like the aesthetic of the first fire hazard, although it feels hard for a first hazard in the stage! It's super short though. I was surprised when I beat it... Felt anticlimatic even. I took the alternate path in my second try. That one was better, since it kept the stage gimmick. IMO, the level would be better if you introduced the hazard with an easier version and then kept making it more complex like you did in the alternate path instead of ending it with that cheep cheep section.
I wanted it to start fairly difficult and then ramp up quickly. Water levels can feel a lot longer than they really are just because of how Mario moves, so I wanted to keep it pretty short. The thought behind the cheep/flamethrower section is that the player can choose to ramp it up and try to get past the fire wheel and be rewarded with one-ups, or if they just want to get through the level or don't think they can handle it, they might be the kind of player that would have trouble with the cheeps/flames anyway but still be able to get through that. Thanks for playing and commenting.

jnWake

The Water Is Hot
709F-0000-007D-F2B4

Nice concept for the level. I like the aesthetic of the first fire hazard, although it feels hard for a first hazard in the stage! It's super short though. I was surprised when I beat it... Felt anticlimatic even. I took the alternate path in my second try. That one was better, since it kept the stage gimmick. IMO, the level would be better if you introduced the hazard with an easier version and then kept making it more complex like you did in the alternate path instead of ending it with that cheep cheep section.

"Sham's Path"

493F-0000-007D-D655

Nice hidden pipe in the beggining. Bet it's a checkpoint! A small critique at the beggining. Try to avoid gaps of 2 tile height since those feel weird as big Mario (you can't even jump in them). There's a lot of variety in the level, maybe even too much! It honestly felt pretty easy to me, but maybe I missed something? I did find
Yoshi though
, although I never went underground as the first hidden pipe suggested I might.

----------------------

My Mario Maker Hub for anybody interested in my levels.

PMS341

So I made an homage to Flame Mammoth's stage from MMX.

3Fox3TS.jpg

A lot of Mega Man stages use the NES style (so you can use the costume, I assume), but I wanted to utilize the wall-jump a bit more. Had to consolidate quite a bit, naturally, but it's still pretty close to the original. Let me know what you guys think!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Yoshi Spits Fire : F037-0000-007D-94E0

Good fun to play so many stages as always.

07IJ5Ti.jpg

After spending the other day mostly giving feedback, I felt inspired again by everyone's work and finally finished my next level

BREAK THE BANK

CEF2-0000-006F-8CA6

(I also may have gone overboard with the fake VHS cover)

Not overboard at all, it's wonderful.

I very much enjoyed the stage both to play, and to imagine how it would work for an episode of that old Super Mario Cartoon. I also want to see a Die Hard recreation using this as an inspiration.

UPDATED!* My Little Yoshi: Friendship is Tragic: 2732-0000-0078-0868

Oh I feel bad now. So many yoshis, just gone.

Clever design though, gave me quite a few ideas for my next attempt at my Yoshi fire stage.

Hey guys, finished my second Rosalina map!

Rosalina and the Floating Towers
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

Nz9y86Q.jpg

Rosalina learns of a secret flying tower that is powered by imprisoned stars. She must free the stars and defeat whoever is behind this wicked scheme.

Any feedback is welcome!

Ah, always good to see my favourite Mario character. Especially in a stage that keeps me on my toes and forcing me to not rush ahead.

I might suggest using a pipe that spawns clouds, instead of the clown car (unless you are doing so to slow the player down), simply because that was the only part I was somewhat annoyed by just being stuck there due to blocks né coins.

Just uploaded my new one, which is gravity themed. Hopefully it holds up!

Which Way is Up?
EB08 0000 007D B664

Very clever in execution. I liked seeing how you would keep things the same. I would have liked to see more things in the stage however, being affected by the "gravity switch".
Perhaps for later versions, make it so a person would do the switch just to get an item like a P-Block, and then return back to how it was .

Hey, Late Night GAFers! Do you like CAKE? If you're in the mood for a quirky level, please check out my latest:

The Cake Is A LIE

(B7C1-0000-0079-1C90)

WVW69ibt9AYh-tDlC3

I think this will be one of the most unusual levels you'll play all day (or night) :D

I was not expecting that for an end stretch, but it was great fun to stroll through.

Jumping FEVER
C64D-0000-0073-1414

WVW69ibZjDkq5Dea4V

I wanted to test if we could make blocks fall down in a way to simulate the falling pills from Dr.Mario.
Both me and the friend also decided to figure out how the music note blocks work in this game.
The end result is am auto-scroling stage where you jump on falling 'pills' with a short, goofy rendition of the 'FEVER' music on the background.
Also a giant blue virus sprite because why not.

I like the concept and some of those paths for blocks are clever, but I can't say I enjoyed it unfortunately. Perhaps a wee bit more forgiving for some of those blocks when you have to run-jump back before heading forward again.

Also, if you hadn't said it was that song, I don't think I would have known what it was. I do give credit for getting almost there, as I don't know how to make music at all.

My latest level!

Tick Tock Clock Shop

ID: 71BD-0000-007A-E87B

tumblr_nverlbwHls1svx1aeo1_500.jpg

Mario visits a world famous clock emporium! The proprietors and manufacturers are two kindly, eccentric old koopas named Tick and Tock. But when an accident reveals a hidden passage to the basement, it's clear that there's more than meets the eye to this quaint store. Armed with the raccoon leaf, can he put a stop to the darkness brewing below?!

tumblr_nverpvT89Y1svx1aeo1_500.jpg

Despite the description, this is a very easy level, mostly just to look cool, tell a story, and do some interesting things with various objects and tiles. :)

267 stars given for this stage, and well deserved. From sound to presentation, all very on point with the theme. I'll be recommending it to friends.

Fiery Clown Car Escape
(2FFF-0000-0079-05A3)

or4vAN3.gif

Inspired by the Rocket Barrel levels from Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze!

I wish there was a way to do a "mini-clown car" just to give some more manoeuvrability to Mario, but this was good fun even even at the pace compared to it's DK inspiration.

Just curious, but did you consider a Lakitu with fireballs instead of Bowser Jr.? If you did and decided against him, was it because the leaping fireballs that would result from it?

B_Bech

That sewer aesthetic was absurdly good. I think it was a good level too. Lot of power ups. Cool way to reach the secret too. Very clever. Starred. Played 4 times.

Really enjoyed this level! Cool use of conveyor belts and the difficulty felt appropriate. You made the available space in the level feel a lot bigger than it actually was. Nice work!

Awesome level! The aesthetic is amazing.

Fantastic level. I love the way you used conveyor belts to simulate water currents, blue platforms for the city floor and all those little details. It's fun and has a good pace for a water level, well done.

Wow!! Thanks guys, I put in a ton of hard work, and it's wonderful to see this kind of feedback. I'm gunna keep making levels like this. I guess I need to figure out which challenge to take on next. I wonder if you guys found all the secrets. One of them is pretty well hidden. I even forget where it is.

Sephzilla

So I made an homage to Flame Mammoth's stage from MMX.

3Fox3TS.jpg

A lot of Mega Man stages use the NES style (so you can use the costume, I assume), but I wanted to utilize the wall-jump a bit more. Had to consolidate quite a bit, naturally, but it's still pretty close to the original. Let me know what you guys think!
YES MEGA MAN X

Question, why the hammer brother near the boss room door? He kind of makes the boss fight unnecessarily hard since you can't really retreat back at all

Docpan

On a technical level, the game should be applauded for its aesthetic and technical achievements. Transferring seamlessly between 4 different game engine themes on the fly is a tremendous achievement. I love how they created new art assets for each theme where the specific item did not exist originally. A true labor of love.

On a gameplay level, the game is a tremendous fucking failure. If compared to something like, I don't know, maybe Mario Paint, then it succeeds as a blank canvas. But as a game, then it pales in comparison to anything that has come before.

Someone who is not into the social media or blog sphere scene will not be able to find the best levels in this game.

It's too difficult to discover, and the best aspect is the creation tools. I thought this was delayed for so long in order to expand the sharing aspects of the "Play" part of the game. Not all of us are creators.

5/10

Thanks for playing my Metroid/Tourian level, I'm glad you liked it enough to star it! It was really interesting watching you play it, because you have a completely different method from mine: I methodically kill each blooper/metroid one after the other, while you run into the mix and elegantly dodge them. I'm happy both work pretty well.

I guess my Brinstar level, on the other hand, was too slow or puzzle/adventure like to be properly played in the context of a twitch stream ;-) ! Oh, well...

Your Brinstar level was actually quite cool, I just didn't know how to get the first upgrade (or actually any upgrade at all). I'm sure I missed something. If you could clue me in on how to get the first upgrade I would very much appreciate it :)

PMS341

YES MEGA MAN X

Question, why the hammer brother near the boss room door? He kind of makes the boss fight unnecessarily hard since you can't really retreat back at all

To recreate Flame Mammoth's stun move. :) I figured it was a bit tough, so I kind of loaded the boss room with power ups.

Dimmle

On a gameplay level, the game is a tremendous fucking failure. If compared to something like, I don't know, maybe Mario Paint, then it succeeds as a blank canvas. But as a game, then it pales in comparison to anything that has come before.

this is why we need to stop using the word "gameplay" when we actually mean one of two dozen other things

Ranger X

Need some verticality?

THE GREAT TOWER

(84A2-0000-007E-2043)

WVW69icB__4AuwLpsC

I would even have made it 2 times longer if there was some damn checkpoints in this game.

My friend is getting discouraged from playing this game because only a couple hundred people have played it instead of a couple thousand. What advice should I give him.

ohNOitsRO

o I've been working pretty hard on this level to get the feel right... Since Game and Watch is my favorite Smash character, it was only fitting that I try to recreate his gallery games!

Simply named:

"Game and Watch Gallery"
ID: C8BC-0000-007D-B926

I'm planning on doing a series with about four mini games in each stage. This one started off with the original four from the first gallery game. I'd love to hear any feedback on this, as I think the last part might be a bit too hard..

Quoting for new page ! I saw positive reactions to this level so im really happy to see that thanks so much guys!!

RagnarokX

Need some verticality?

THE GREAT TOWER

(84A2-0000-007E-2043)

WVW69icB__4AuwLpsC

I would even have made it 2 times longer if there was some damn checkpoints in this game.

You can make improvised checkpoints using the available tools. I incorporated a modified version of a checkpoint I found on Reddit into the latest version of one of my levels.

WVW69ibaBBcPDnstw-

Boo's Plumbing Nightmare ver 3.0 (C979-0000-0073-3C8B)

GIY6yXw.png

Here's a post where I explain how it works: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179891908&postcount=12052

Basically you have to step on the blue lava lifts in the correct order to open a shortcut. The passcode that will open the way is revealed at the point the checkpoint warps to.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Here's what I worked on all day:

Mountain Climb
2411-0000-007E-3BE0

My attempt to create a vertical stage.

Still not really going for the uber technical stages I'm seeing. There's mostly length, tiny puzzles, and an attempt to recreate a boss battle. Some hidden rooms and shortcuts to take, if you are so bold. Also, tried not to have too many bottomless pits, allowing for more ability to redo jumps.

KeRaSh

Thanks! I'm about to go live in a couple minutes :D

www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

Restarting my computer in hopes that my microphone works, lol

Thanks for playing my level! I just watched the stream. It's really interesting that nobody bothers to go past the Magikoopa room door to find out what the spring is actually used for, haha! The Feather from that room is a great reward for the challenge so you can skip the "puzzle" if you make it out in one piece.

I really liked the level and I agree with everyone else. Bowser was a real annoyance due to the random fire spitting. Can't wait to try out your next challenge!

correojon

Super Mario World 1-0.5
AF4D-0000-005D-D019

Great course, I really like the multi-path approach. I think that
maybe the part in the Flower path with blocks on trails could be a bit too tricky for a first level
, but the whole level flows very well. Great job.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! The moving floor/walls part may feel a bit out of place in a 1-1, I wanted this course to somehow give the player glimpses of what he could be finding in the rest of the game, but in the end I might have included just too many different things. Anyway, thanks for leaving your impressions :)

zashga

Well, I hit the 10-level cap after a couple weeks of experimentation. Now that I have to actually delete levels to upload new ones, here are the ones I think are any good. Hope you enjoy; feedback is appreciated.

diuP4tb.jpg

Sunken Treasure! (E735-0000-003B-67A5)

This is the first level I made that wasn't just a gauntlet of random stuff, and the first one that I consciously tried to make easier. It's pretty simple; try to get the treasure or just complete the level.

RJfDoUx.jpg

Das Ghost Haus (83BC-0000-0049-5A06)

My attempt at making a classic Mario World ghost house level. You'll have to find the secret if you don't want to keep running in circles...

J4NbLxF.jpg

Run! Run!! (C7D0-0000-005B-89EB)

Pretty straightforward. Keep running; there's no time to walk.

KKoHnBK.jpg

The Pretty Good Cave Offensive (1466-0000-007B-C870)

Inspired by Kirby Super Star, this is by far the biggest and most complicated level I've made. (Did you know there's a limit to how many blocks you can place in a level? I didn't until about halfway through this one.) It should be pretty easy just to complete the level, but finding all the 1-ups is a little bit trickier.

Top Bottom