• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limitless |OT| Cooper's Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Tuesdays at 10/9c on CBS!

An adaptation of the Bradley Cooper movie that

150513-news-limitless.jpg

This premieres in a bit over an hour. Critics say:

But for one episode anyway, Limitless's potential seems ... well, hardly limitless, but perhaps promising.

Mentalist and Sherlock fans looking to fill their procedural need may find some delights here, and the show's editing and direction help kick series this up a notch.

Yet while Limitless is competently executed, what it lacks, finally, is any spark of inspiration. And alas, there's no pill for that.

McDorman, a great screen presence who may have finally found the right vehicle, sells the effects of the drugs. I'm ready to take a few more pills to see where things go.

It's overall mixed, but I'm giving a shot because Cooper's appearing as a recurring character on CBS of all networks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This was a pretty good pilot, a little cheesy, up until the final act when it shifts away from pilot mode and towards "wow this is going to be a weekly crime procedural" mode. I'll watch a few more, but the shift is quite palpable.

Ew, all four of those review quotes are just dripping with cheese. You would think they were required to make at least one stupid pun or play on words per review. Rarely ever is anything like that every truly clever or funny and it just makes the writer come off as lazy and uncreative.

This is good so far. It's very much like the movie, but knowing it becomes a crime procedural sounds disappointing.

Edit: Yep, that was a good pilot.

Toothless

Yeah that was a fun pilot, but the preview for next week looked dull. I like the lead though, so I'll give it a few weeks.

Siegcram

Cool they got Cooper, but the protagonist is beyond bland. I liked the movie well enough, but I don't see this staying on my schedule if it remains so safe.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
One thing I always wondered, what happened to the girl that the guy may or may not have killed in the movie? She got swept under the rug almost instantly.

Sober

This was a pretty good pilot, a little cheesy, up until the final act when it shifts away from pilot mode and towards "wow this is going to be a weekly crime procedural" mode. I'll watch a few more, but the shift is quite palpable.
I don't mind it at all too much but the actual procedural stuff will have to be really interesting to even work. Otherwise why is it about a dude with 100% brain use doing regular crime stuff? Also it will have to rely on what Bradley Cooper's character wants with the main lead.

Also the FBI pumping drugs into their subject would've been interesting had they not gone the route where they just basically removed all the side effects so that kinda just glossed that over.

SJRB

Gold Member
So the movie is actually good?

I never watched because I somehow thought the consensus was that it was garbage.

Schrade

My friend described the main actor as making her feel like he's someone from YouTube. Both him and the FBI lady weren't acting up a storm, that's for sure.

Siegcram

My friend described the main actor as making her feel like he's someone from YouTube. Both him and the FBI lady weren't acting up a storm, that's for sure.
It's Dexter's sister and White Guy protagonist with beard #347917. Don't think we're in for anything significant in the acting department.

arumisan

It's Dexter's sister and White Guy protagonist with beard #347917. Don't think we're in for anything significant in the acting department.

The acting wasn't great - but talking about actors.... Nina Sharp! It's been a while since I've seen Blair Brown (come to think of it, Fringe was probably the last thing I've seen her in).

TripOpt55

I watched the movie today and then watched the pilot. Pretty good movie. The pilot follows almost the same story early on. In Media Res opening. Main dude runs into a guy he used to know that gives him the drug. He finds that friend dead later. Between that and turning this into a procedural, it seemed rather uncreative. (Though I suppose the similar beats to the movie were intentional and not meant for people who had just watched the movie. And I like a lot of procedurals, so you never know this might be a good one.) Overall it wasn't bad. I'm going to see how it goes in the next couple episodes.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm getting strong Blacklist vibes from this show. It's not top tier television, but when I'm looking for something to kill 45 minutes before I go out, I could do worse.

a know-it-all that solves crime? This was already done by Fox years ago. At least this show is pretty good.

johndoe.jpg
I loved John Doe! It was one of my favorite shows back when it was on. I always hated that it got cancelled and the story was never wrapped up. At least I don't remember it being given a proper ending.

LeleSocho

Banned
I watched the movie recently and i loved the ending and the whole thing overall.
Unless they gimped the powers of the pill i think the premise works out as a one-time-story but not as a thing that has to spread for one or more seasons.

Toxi

Banned
I loathe the movie, but this probably will avoid my problems with the movie just because so many of the movie's problems came from its structure.

I watched the movie recently and i loved the ending and the whole thing overall.
Unless they gimped the powers of the pill i think the premise works out as a one-time-story but not as a thing that has to spread for one or more seasons.
That was the worst part for me and one of my least favorite endings in a movie ever.

LeleSocho

Banned
I loathe the movie, but this probably will avoid my problems with the movie just because so many of the movie's problems came from its structure.

That was the worst part for me and one of my least favorite endings in a movie ever.

Please, that was the best part... as soon as the movie started i thought
"oh there he goes bad ending because he probably stupidly screwed up or stupidly abused the use of the thing when he was on top of the world, so clichè" but thankfully he did what a super intelligent person would have done.
The ending was a refreshing approach to these kind of movies.

Toxi

Banned
Please, that was the best part... as soon as the movie started i thought
"oh there he goes bad ending because he probably stupidly screwed up or stupidly abused the use of the thing when he was on top of the world, so clichè" but thankfully he did what a super intelligent person would have done.
The ending was a refreshing approach to these kind of movies.
I'm sorry, but
handwaving away one of the main problems of the movie with a sentence about an offscreen laboratory and taking out the Russian gangster on the drug and his thugs through both ridiculous contrivance and their sudden stupidity
were bullshit.
The main character didn't get out of trouble with intelligence, he got out with the script bending to his will. It doesn't help that the supposed genius only got into that situation because he didn't realize that repaying a loan from the mafia on time might be a good idea.

And maybe if the main character was charming or interesting I wouldn't be so down on the ending, but he wasn't, he was a bland mess with the charisma of sandpaper.

Toothless

Yeah, I'm enjoying this; it's essentially if Chris Pratt headlined a procedural with a cool myth arc that seems to be happening. It's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom