• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum End (from the creators of Death Note) IOTI Just according to keikaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

Banned
The dream team is back.

847442e1a1.jpg

You may have heard of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata from a little series called Death Note. Well, 3 years after the completion of their second series Bakuman (the manga about making manga) they are back in action. Potato chip eating intensifies.

What is it?
The story will be about "angels and humans" and will center around Mirai Kakehashi, a boy who "does not seek out hope in order to live."

Where can I find it?
Platinum End will be published in Shueisha's Jump SQ on a monthly basis. This will typically mean about 42 pages per chapter, per month. The manga will launch on November 4th with its first chapter (there is an 8 page teaser prologue out now) in the December 2015 issue of Jump SQ.

Excitingly, Viz will be simulpublishing the chapters in English on the same day as Japanese release for $0.99 a chapter (roughly $4 a volume if you compare to print releases). Pretty cool.

You can get the simulpup chapters right here, and if you buy online you can also use the Shonen Jump Newstand App on iOS and Android to read it! http://shonenjump.viz.com/platinum-end-chapters

Previous Series by Ohba and Obata:

51Th%2BtKJfcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51lqpy0MnhL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Since I figure Bakuman was nothing like Death Note, why are people hyped? This supposed to be more in the vein of DN again?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Didn't one of the manga in Bakuman have something about angels in it? Is that their inspiration for this? Seems cool.

mdubs

Banned
Didn't one of the manga in Bakuman have something about angels in it? Is that their inspiration for this? Seems cool.

That's what I was thinking when this was announced:

Late-game spoilers for Bakuman
I was like, this is exactly like Reversi, imagine how meta that would be if they turned it into a manga

Infinite

Since I figure Bakuman was nothing like Death Note, why are people hyped? This supposed to be more in the vein of DN again?
I guess because people like them both and are looking forward to the next things their creators can come up with?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Bakuman was great, though I felt the final stretch felt a bit rushed.

Yeah, definitely. Didn't feel like it was gonna end with that series in that way at all.
Maybe they've got issues with endings?

Anyway both series (and Hikaru No Go!) were good enough for me to try reading this.

mdubs

Banned
I think what I liked the most about Bakuman was the aspirational aspect of it, watching these two 14-year olds work for 10 years going through set backs and such to finally achieve their dreams. Plus it was really cool to see inside the industry like that, and the cast of characters were a lot of fun (the dynamic between Eiji and Mashiro was cool, plus the broness between Takagi and Mashiro)

Walpurgis

Banned
That's what I was thinking when this was announced:

Late-game spoilers for Bakuman
I was like, this is exactly like Reversi, imagine how meta that would be if they turned it into a manga
That's what I was thinking too. Wasn't
Reversi
the more serious one that they had to
extend at the request of the publisher
? If that's true, this should only be around 40 chapters and should be less Bakuman, more Death Note.
I think what I liked the most about Bakuman was the aspirational aspect of it, watching these two 14-year olds work for 10 years going through set backs and such to finally achieve their dreams. Plus it was really cool to see inside the industry like that, and the cast of characters were a lot of fun (the dynamic between Eiji and Mashiro was cool, plus the broness between Takagi and Mashiro)
Bakuman is a one of a kind show and while I love Death Note more, Bakuman was an anime that had to be made. I learned so much about the manga and anime industry through that show and the characters were awesome. It's a must-watch for all anime fans and a great show in general.

Maniel

Banned
This is awesome but what's more surprising to me is that the people behind bakuman are the same as death note

mdubs

Banned
That's what I was thinking too. Wasn't
Reversi
the more serious one that they had to
extend at the request of the publisher
? If that's true, this should only be around 40 chapters and should be less Bakuman, more Death Note.

Bakuman is a one of a kind show and while I love Death Note more, Bakuman was an anime that had to be made. I learned so much about the manga and anime industry through that show and the characters were awesome. It's a must-watch for all anime fans and a great show in general.

Regarding Reversi
the anime adaption crew wanted them to keep it going but Takagi and Mashiro wanted to end it according to their planned story arc instead of having to keep it going. They wanted to go out on top and beat Nizuma, so Hattori and the Jump VP went and fought for them and it ended according to how they wanted it

I haven't watched Bakuman's anime just because I enjoyed the manga so much, but can't wait for this new series. If anything, running in Jump SQ should give them the opportunity to tell the story they want to tell and not have too much filler hopefully. Plus that Obata art on a monthly schedule

Guess Who

Banned
Bakuman was alright though not perfect - pretty much anytime the story went too deep into romance it got pretty tiresome, save for Hiramaru's arc, for that character was infallible.

Looking forward to this. Monthly is an interesting choice. Death Note definitely felt like it suffered at times from being a weekly manga where Ohba mostly made it up as he went.

Walpurgis

Banned
Regarding Reversi
the anime adaption crew wanted them to keep it going but Takagi and Mashiro wanted to end it according to their planned story arc instead of having to keep it going. They wanted to go out on top and beat Nizuma, so Hattori and the Jump VP went and fought for them and it ended according to how they wanted it

I haven't watched Bakuman's anime just because I enjoyed the manga so much, but can't wait for this new series. If anything, running in Jump SQ should give them the opportunity to tell the story they want to tell and not have too much filler hopefully. Plus that Obata art on a monthly schedule
Death Note and Bakuman were weekly? Interesting. This will be very good. I can't wait for the anime in 2020.

Bakuman was alright though not perfect - pretty much anytime the story went too deep into romance it got pretty tiresome, save for Hiramaru's arc, for that character was infallible.

Looking forward to this. Monthly is an interesting choice. Death Note definitely felt like it suffered at times from being a weekly manga where Ohba mostly made it up as he went.

Yeah Bakuman was fantastic aside from the cheesy romance.

Mortemis

Banned
Fuck yeah, first thing I thought of was reversi when I saw this. Death Note was great, and bakuman just as good or even better (sans romance). Can't wait for this.

Walpurgis

Banned
Obligatory post to say I liked the romance! Them feels in the final chapter
I liked the romance because it actually progressed for
Takagi (he got married), and Mashiro's was interesting, especially with how it affected his and the girl's work.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yo.

Just read the full opening chapter. It was really fucking dope. Like damn, I was wondering what Ohba and Obata were cooking up in the lab after Bakuman. But this feels like something fresh as hell, yet still with those Death Note undertones (it was clear Bakuman was a departure from that type of style).

I feel like people who enjoyed Death Note will probably like this chapter, and following that, this manga. It looks like it's going in a good direction and they've set up a lot of potential in just the opener.

FUCK YEAH

jonno394

Is this available to buy online yet? Can't find it on viz website.

Edit - Ah due Wednesday. I assume above poster viewed it via other methods ;)

Read the first chapter.

Obata's style is as boring as ever. Another female character who is gonna be poorly written just like the ones from their previous series. Really poorly expressed concepts of happiness with Shounen powers. Is this a dream...? NO IT'S REAL AND IT'S BAD. Then it goes full Future Diary at the end. Original idea do NOT steal.

I give it a 5/10.

saher

Banned
So it seems the story could be about a pact with an angel kinda the opposite of death note.

I dont like the design of the main character

Out at viz too. Love their quality.

It had a nice mix of feeling dark and depressing to somewhat more wonderful. Nassa could have been a bit more in tune with things but angels probably have a different ethical agenda. Not having demons in this story does keep it from getting to be a bit out of hand though which Im glad for. Imagine a survival god death game with demons. It would be hard to follow.

I hope we get a crazy shota as ones choice and a smart megane type character for another chosen god candidate. Mirai needs a companion male friend character too.

mdubs

Banned
Oh man it's downloading right now! 70 page first chapter yes! Link for everyone to find the chapter http://shonenjump.viz.com/platinum-end-chapters

Chapter 1

Oh man, that was great. Loved the way they finally delivered the hook at the end of the chapter, you can tell that Mirai is definitely going to be an anti hero. Feels like a really logical progression of their work on Death Note in a way, can't wait for the next chapter!

8b119d6fe8.jpg

Never read Bakuman but I like Death Note so lets see how this goes.

Well, this sure does seem familiar to Death Note. Replace the Reaper with an Angel and the Death Note with these powers and throw in the God thing and it's very similar. Hopefully it grows into it;s own.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The artwork is amazing so far, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom