• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

erale

Digital sales are not new and a collection game sold 2/3rds of the mainline entry. Not great.

I doubt that 360/PS3 digital sales were even close to 10% of total sales numbers. I think with this generation we're at 40% or even more.

Pretty much everyone I know buys their games now on the stores. With the last gen the only games they bought were arcade games...

madmackem

Quite the title. States something as fact and then post says does not actually have numbers to prove it lol.

Regardless, with the lower xb1 base in the UK in not sure what the expectations were.

Also does this count digital?
It has is similar install base to halo 2 and 3 launched in.

krang

It's a different time, OP. These relative numbers are an indicator, but nowhere near an image of the whole picture.

It has is similar install base to halo 2 and 3 launched in.

There was less choice then. And there weren't digital sales.

Renekton

Your using retail Amazon sales to make a case for digital sales. Digital sales are a scarecrow; if we compare Halo 4 and MCC which also were released in a recent time we can see its not great for Halo 5.

Digital sales are not new and a collection game sold 2/3rds of the mainline entry. Not great.
It's not new but it may have grown significantly for PS4X1 era?

Kayant

Does this include digital? It's a meaningless stat if it doesn't.

Yes because DD adds 100% or more sales /s. Wish people would stop with this meaningless spin.

Even if above is true which is virtually unlikely it would still be the second/ worst debut for a mainline halo as shown in the OP

Xater

Wow that headline needs a reword.

Isn't that retail sales only? And not digital?

With digital only account for at most 20% this would still be the lowest selling title.

I am not that surprised. I mean the Xbox One is not doing as well as PS4, people didn't like Halo 4, I don#t think Halo has the same mindshare anymore and I don#t think the buggy release of MCC helped either.

So all npds are meaningless now and almost ever sales data we ever get?.
It's meaningless to say it's the lowest selling Halo ever unless we know digital sales didn't push it over that marker. At some point in the next few years there will be more people buying digital than physical, so it's more and more important to have those stats as well.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Doesn't count digital. More people going for PS4 over XB1 this gen. Last gen I knew two people who had a PS3 and this gen I don't know anyone, except for me, who has an XB1. A lot of 360 owners are going to PS4. I bought an XB1 just for Halo/Forza but not everyone is gonna do that. Microsoft need to try close the gap between PS4.

leeh

hahahahaha
Your mad if you think digital isn't drastically outselling physical.

I can name one person out of a friendship group of 10 people who bought Halo 5 physically rather than digital. That's 10/90% split in physical/digital in my friendship group. I'd say it's a similar story in a lot of other peoples.

Also:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ssassins-creed-syndicate-launch-by-50-percent

With digital only account for at most 20% this would still be the lowest selling title.

I am not that surprised. I mean the Xbox One is not doing as well as PS4, people didn't like Halo 4, I don#t think Halo has the same mindshare anymore and I don#t think the buggy release of MCC helped either.

Cover 20%? Your mad.

madmackem

It's a different time, OP. These relative numbers are an indicator, but nowhere near an image of the whole picture.
It shows the decline of an ip, on of the core titles ms is hoping pushes console sales, it's looking like titanfall might have pushed hardware more than halo has, we await the pr.

Interfectum

Assassin's Creed had a weak launch, Halo had a weak launch. Maybe it's time to ask what is going on in the UK if another game fails to connect? Are UK consumers losing confidence in release quality, going digital or simply spending their money else where?

Unity and Halo4/MCC did damage to their respective brands plus fatigue imo

Scotch

Between the positive spin in that other thread title, and the negative (downright false) spin in this one, this is GAF at its finest today.

madmackem

I can name one person out of a friendship group of 10 people who bought Halo 5 physically rather than digital.
Don't be silly, there isn't a chance digital is outselling physical in the uk at this moment on a full price title like this.

Slaythe

I said this in the pal charts.

But digital is 70 euros ( 78 dollars ) in Europe. Amazon and big retail is 50.... ( 55 dollars ).

So don't even think EU digital is meaningful.

Mendax

I can name one person out of a friendship group of 10 people who bought Halo 5 physically rather than digital.

drastically outselling? maybe in 15 years

Alo0oy

Banned
Assassin's Creed had a weak launch, Halo had a weak launch. Maybe it's time to ask what is going on in the UK if another game fails to connect? Are UK consumers losing confidence in release quality, going digital or simply spending their money else where?

FIFA, Destiny, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear, The Witcher, Mortal Kombat, & Batman all sold extremely well in the UK.

krang

Numbers from where?

I can name one person out of a friendship group of 10 people who bought Halo 5 physically rather than digital. That's 10/90% split in physical/digital in my friendship group. I'd say it's a similar story in a lot of other peoples.

Also:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ssassins-creed-syndicate-launch-by-50-percent

Search_your_feelings_you_know_it_to_be_true.gif

mclem

Is this a surprise? It's the first entry on a new console that's not being the breakout hit the 360 was and in an environment more hostile than the Xbox was released into. Curious what Halo 1's numbers are, but that would be compounded by being a (arguably the) Xbox launch title.

Wootball

A combination of all three. H5 and AC:S following MCC and Unity certainly don't help matters.

Doesn't count digital. More people going for PS4 over XB1 this gen. Last gen I knew two people who had a PS3 and this gen I don't know anyone, except for me, who has an XB1. A lot of 360 owners are going to PS4. I bought an XB1 just for Halo/Forza but not everyone is gonna do that. Microsoft need to try close the gap between PS4.

That's implying that everyone who owns or intends to own an Xbox is a Halo fan.

Sure, that may be part of the problem, but there are way too many factors at play to blame it on any one thing. If we had to pick the biggest offender, I'd lean more towards the generally poor state of the franchise currently. If people would go out and buy Xboxs for Halo, then the onus would be on Halo to make that a worthwhile investment.

erale

I said this in the pal charts.

But digital is 70 euros ( 78 dollars ) in Europe. Amazon and big retail is 50.... ( 55 dollars ).

So don't even think EU digital is meaningful.

You can get your 50 EUR codes for 37 Euro, so you're actually aren't paying the full 70 Euro. Also don't forget that the launch prices at amazon were at 65 or 69 Euro I think.

Then there are a lot of people buying their games from foreign marketplaces. You can get the game for 45 Euro then. So why bother buying it retail then?

madmackem

FIFA, Destiny, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear, The Witcher, Mortal Kombat, & Batman all sold extremely well in the UK.
Yep they all sold well, maybe the link is the last games in halo and assassins creed were bugged lambasted games that left a bad taste in people's mouths.

krang

A full price title which was priced cheaper digitally @ £45?

I live in the UK. I'll iterate, I know one person who bought this physically. That's digital 900% outselling physical in my friendship circle.

I don't doubt that physical outsells digital still, but of the ~10 people I know IRL who bought this, none of them bought physical. It's making an impact.

Also, most of them bought from a non-UK digital store.

Also:

Cover 20%? Your mad.

The 20% comes from an actual survey that includes more people than your 10 friends. It's likely that you and your friends all fit into the same demographic which is why it seems like so much more to you.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12...nsole-gamers-still-prefer-physical-to-digital

BadWolf

Seems like quite the drop.

If the game receives good word of mouth then that might help it bounce back some.

I doubt that 360/PS3 digital sales were even close to 10% of total sales numbers. I think with this generation we're at 40% or even more.

Pretty much everyone I know buys their games now on the stores. With the last gen the only games they bought were arcade games...
Common sense says it's not 40% dude. Come on now

Im abit surprised by this.Wont stop me enjoying it though.There was advertising everywhere for this game,papers,tv,mags etc etc...i guess the thirst isnt quite there,or could be to a lower xbox one install base

madmackem

You can get your 50 EUR codes for 37 Euro, so you're actually aren't paying the full 70 Euro. Also don't forget that the launch prices at amazon were at 65 or 69 Euro I think.

Then there are a lot of people buying their games from foreign marketplaces. You can get the game for 45 Euro then. So why bother buying it retail then?
In the uk retail is still largely the best option there were many deals for halo that got you the game and a live card for under rrp. U.K. Retail is still fantastic way to buy games because of the deals. Your paying £10-15 more to have it on hdd and then you can't trade in which is still huge here.

Top Bottom