• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mattel Applies for Street Sharks Trademark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

After thrilling fans of 80’s toys with the Dino Riders trademark application, Mattel is digging even deeper into the nostalgia well. Our good friend SilverOptimus dropped by with another cool bit of info. Mattel has applied for a Street Sharks Trademark! Street Sharks were a very short lived line of toys that features anthropomorphic sharks in the vein of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The trademark, which was applied for on November 25th, lists “Toys, Games, and Plaything” as the purpose for the application. We’ll keep our eyes peels for any new info.

http://news.toyark.com/2015/12/04/mattel-applies-street-sharks-trademark-184123

Oh my word. I am a sucker for anthropomorphic crime fighting heroes.

Original sharks.
ZP0IU7k.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I had the toys and watched the show, but I literally can not remember anything about either one. Not even one character name. Same with Samurai Pizza Cats.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's hard for me to be excited about anything Mattel makes in the boy's market...

They have the DC license and barely do anything with it. The figures they do make are drastically sub-par compared to other modern figures from the competition.

Hasbro is stomping them into the ground with the great stuff they are doing with the Marvel and Star Wars licenses.

I'm always open to being convinced.

Street Sharks were a bit after my time and don't know much about them. However, despite my age - I did catch an episode of Moo Mesa:

image.jpg

I watched a YouTube episode and as far as TMNT rip offs, it wasn't bad.

Psxphile

Ew.

Street Sharks were a bit after my time and don't know much about them. However, despite my age - I did catch an episode of Moo Mesa:

image.jpg

Boss Doggie would probably enjoy this.

That artwork gives me Sunset Riders + TMNT vibes. Get on it, Kona-- oh.

GG-Duo

aight

jawsome

(for real though this is pretty dumb. street sharks was dumb 90s 'extreme' junk. but who knows, maybe it's an ironic nostalgia play)

Krejlooc

Banned
has anybody actually watched an episode of this show recently? I watched one, funnily enough, like a month ago.

God awful. Like, even for a saturday morning cartoon. It's prime riffing material, at least.

Slayven

My poor eyes.

Anyway, watching an episode of Street Sharks right now, it doesn't seem horrible in comparison to any other toy tie-in kind of show. Slightly after I'd checked out of morning cartoons, so I'm not real familiar, but I can see the appeal.

Didn't you use to sell stuff like F3 for a living? Your eyes should be harden steel

Firehead

Woah, that's unexpected. Only watched the show a few times... But I loved the toys as a kid.
I had Streex:
MhYdTiL.jpg

He's so rad. I tried to replicate that paper shredding scene from the commercial so many goddamned times...

Biker Mice from Mars was revived in 2006. It didn't last long.

Yeah, that was a huge disappointment.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Extreme Dinosaurs >>>>>>>>>>>>> Street Sharks at any given day.

Better looking characters, less wonky animation, and overall better action. Also the head animator of the studio that did TTGL, PxZ, etc. really liked Extreme Dinosaurs.

With that said, I'm surprised by this, but SS actually has an overarching plot. You'd think a show selling a toyline riding on TMNT would be just there for merchandising toys, but nope, it has a surprisingly structured story.

Boss Doggie would probably enjoy this.

That artwork gives me Sunset Riders + TMNT vibes. Get on it, Kona-- oh.

that's actually fanart of a kemono artist who does mostly bara art, not official art :p

Moo Mesa is okay.

jstripes

Banned
My reaction: Oh, wow. I remember that show.

I don't understand why anyone old enough to remember that show would get excited over this.

But, hey.

MTE

Just because he's a whale doesn't mean he can't be street

Isn't even a whale.

I remember having one of the toys for this show.
One of the sharks in a huge monster-truck looking thing that itself had teeth? I might look up a picture.
I never saw the show...

Edit:
$_1.JPG

Tubobutts

image.jpg

Wow, I just went from having no memory of this to remembering I had the toys.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ah yes, the not-Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom