• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't anybody care about Tearaway?

It's currently on sale for 19.99 on PSN Week 4 Holiday Sale.

The previous version, on Vita - people have an excuse. It's a device most people here on GAF probably don't have.

Here comes the PS4 version, with improved visuals, controls and added content. It's obviously a great game from a critical perspective, we know this.

But it really just looks like nobody "wants" to play this game, regardless of how many times people/gaffers/reviewers hit you over the head with the "it's great go play it" hammer.

Is it the aesthetic? Are platformers not really anyone's thing anymore? Take into consideration the anticipation for the upcoming Ratchet and Clank game seems lower than it should be. Despite it looking fantastic and seems to be a return to form for the franchise.

Just never knew why a new original IP game that's so well liked by the [few] people who've played it. Now I'm not saying this game is a commercial disaster, I'm sure all said and done with the Vita and PS4 versions the game finally did O.K., but never reached the success that it probably deserved.

Do you think a PS+ Free game of the month is pretty much what this game needs?

Eolz

Audience mismatch.
It's the kind of game that would sell better on Nintendo platforms for example.

edit: mix of looks, genre, and appeal/uniqueness. Great game, but hard to sell, a bit too "indie"-like for most people for example.
Even if people recognize it's a great game, they wouldn't buy it for several reasons (another game at that time, not interested, look, etc).
Don't expect Gravity Rush 2 to light the charts on fire too. Damn shame, but it's great Sony give those games/devs a second chance, and even a chance in the first place.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just doesn't look like a game I really want. The aesthetic mostly. I just don't care.

I don't think a free PS+ thing will do for me, I don't even want to spend any time trying it. Just incompatible audience.

Kash76

Neo Member
I love it

It's currently on sale for 19.99 on PSN Week 4 Holiday Sale.

The previous version, on Vita - people have an excuse. It's a device most people here on GAF probably don't have.

Here comes the PS4 version, with improved visuals, controls and added content. It's obviously a great game from a critical perspective, we know this.

But it really just looks like nobody "wants" to play this game, regardless of how many times people/gaffers/reviewers hit you over the head with the "it's great go play it" hammer.

Is it the aesthetic? Are platformers not really anyone's thing anymore?

Just never knew why a new original IP game that's so well liked by the [few] people who've played it. Now I'm not saying this game is a commercial disaster, I'm sure all said and done with the Vita and PS4 versions the game finally did O.K., but never reached the success that it probably deserved.

Do you think a PS+ Free game of the month is pretty much what this game needs?

Tearway would be at like 2mil+ if it was on Nintendo im not even joking. Its a very good game but the audience just isn't there. Hell kid friendly games sell better on every platform.

Audience mismatch.
It's the kind of game that would sell better on Nintendo platforms for example.

Yeah, and it's a shame really. Not really sure what Sony can do to build an audience for these sorts of games on PS4, but I know if it were on a Nintendo system it would have probably sold a lot more.

Potential is there for a great franchise. Oh well.

Shahed

It looks charming and all, but not particularly interesting or fun to play. I've had the demo on PS4 for ages but haven't tried it yet

But then again I'm not the most keen on platformers. I can play stuff like Ratchet and Sly which have a bit more too them in ways I find fun, but not this. If it helps I also tend to dislike any Mario game I play with the exception of Paper Mario TTYD which was awesome

RK128

I honestly feel this generation hates good platformers :l.

I'm serious thinking this, as while kickstarters for things like A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee got a lot of success, no one bought Tearaway Unfolded at launch. It could be from Sony being idiots and not marketing the damn title but it could also be from PS4 owners not being interested that; they would rather get Destiny or something else.

It is a damn shame, considering how the PS4 version did such a good job adapting the game for the console. Maybe people just hate creative, charming games and if that is the case, then I really have apathy for this new generation of gamers :l.

Edit: I'm sorry if my post sounds very angry but the game was ripped from the Vita with the intent to get a wider audience and for it to bomb even harder on PS4 then it did on Vita.....shows a lot in how both Sony markets its titles (they don't bother if it isn't Uncharted or God of War) and how the PS4 userbase is largely composed of people liking more violent titles.

Ogawa-san

"It's just a port of a Vita game."

Also, it's a 3D platformer in 2015. Unless it's Mario, a sequel or a remake of something people really loved 20 years ago, people won't even know it's coming out.

Maximus.

It is a neat little game. Very easy, but a nice journey. When I showed pictures to my friends, they didn't doubt the game, but it looked like something infants would enjoy according to them. These are people who aren't dudebros and play a wide range of games and genres.

Bought it, played it, thought it wasn't that great and had too many nitpicks about it. I loved the creative style going for it, but the gameplay just wasn't there for me. I gave it a fair chance though.

leroidys

I'm one of like three people who paid full price for it on vita, and loved the game enough to make it one off my 4 platinum trophies.

I just don't really care about the PS4 version though. There are too many good games coming out to spend the time (and money) passing through an enhanced port.

-Digits-

I loved it on Vita, one of the most charming games I've ever played. Made good use of the Vita's features without being annoying or gimmicky. But I guess the audience isn't really there on Playstation.

I'll second the fact that it looks like a game that belongs on a Nintendo system. I still think it's one of the best Vita games alongside P4G.

Played it through once on the Vita, had my fill. It's a cute game, but I felt there wasn't a whole lot of fun to be had after the first time. The fun in the game is exploring the very well done art style, but there isn't anything mechanically going on after the novelty is over.

KalBalboa

Banned
I absolutely love it and I'm just as confused as you are, OP.

Part of me wonders if it's a matter of marketing, the platform's primary audience, general expectations, or if it just can't catch a break from the lackluster Vita push + PS4 remaster factor 1-2 punch.

Ultimadrago

I don't care about it because I don't care to own a Vita, honestly.

Edit: Wait, it's on PS4 too? Neat. May try it
as a PS+ free game

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly feel this generation hates good platformers :l.

There's a lot more value to me, and many others, at enjoying stories that come out of situations, not a platformer that leaves zero room for interpretation, nuance, and more. It's just the most basic of games, the shallowest from any kind of mental stimulus apart from puzzles, which rarely tell a story.

I think people want stories, or make their own. Platformers tend to completely fail at that, and not even try, and I don't think they can.

It's just not for everyone is my thought. I played a little of the vita version, and it didn't click or seem particularly interesting to me, so I haven't tried it on PS4.

It looking like a "Nintendo game" means people who are saying they are not interested would suddenly be interested because it is a premier title on Nintendo's platform?

Hugstable

Banned
People who've seen Tearaway usually care about it, shame Sony doesn't care about it though. Game is amazing and deserves much more. It just makes me so sad that they didn't even try advertising, hyping it.... just nothing..

Coming from someone with a huge love for platformers: I didn't find it fun.
I loved how it used all the Vita's features and the artstyle was lovely but I got so bored with this game. Perhaps Unfolded is better but I just didn't like the original.

Edit: I thought this would be an unpopular opinion but it seems quite a few people here didn't enjoy the gameplay.

To be fair, it doesn't really grab you until you're already a bit into the game. If you don't care about the aesthetics and just want to get to the meat, you don't get a basic "jump" ability until the end of the 2nd area, and that's about an hour into the game.

Add in the fact that it hasn't had much advertising, it looks weird, and people don't usually go for platformers these days and you have a recipe for obscurity.

BiggNife

I love how it looks but I've watched footage of it and it just doesn't look like something I'd enjoy gameplay wise. It reminds me a whole lot of LBP, another game I think is super charming and clever but also kinda boring.

BluWacky

I haven't finished the Vita version, which I find quite boring honestly despite the wonderful visual design.

I don't think it's necessarily a case of audience mismatch; I would venture that Unravel will do half-decently in a month or two's time. But Tearaway is a port of a not particularly well known niche game; its time has passed.

Far more criminal, in my view, was how Puppeteer got ignored for PS3. THAT was a brilliant platformer.

Aranjah

In my case: Not on a platform I own and not the type/wow-factor of game that would get me to buy a new platform just for it. Would have bought it otherwise, it looked neat.

RK128

Makes me fear for yooka laylee on ps4 at least. Im fully expecting pc>wiiu>xbox one>ps4

I'm expecting the PS4 version of Yooka-Laylee to bomb hard :(. The PC and Wii U/NX versions will be the most successful while the X1 version will be a good sales wise.

Ratchet PS4 will be fine due to it having a movie version (though its releasing two weeks away from Uncharted 4....another great marking move by the minds from Sony :l) and if the rumors are true about Crash coming back, I would be very surprised if Sony doesn't market Crash like their own Mario or Sonic.

JordanN

Banned
I'll get blasted this for but I find the main character's design to be really ugly.

Before I thought Sackboy was the ugliest Platformer mascot but then Tearaway took it to another level.

thumb

Banned
I tried the demo for the PS4 version. Something just isn't grabbing me.

I need Tearaway, Dark Souls style. I want to inch my way through a level filled with tiny paper monsters, only for a single misstep to send me back to the beginning, respawning every enemy. I want to fight huge, intimidating bosses that look like crumpled up American tax forms.

Eventually, I'll need to summon in another goofy looking Tearaway protagonist to help me fight the 1040EZ beast.

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
Started on Vita thereby limiting it's initial audience

Literally 0 marketing for the PS4 port

No massive word of mouth from those who care about the game.

I've been thinking about picking it up; was it made with the PSVITA in mind? As in, will the game suffer from being played on the PS4 in any way or will the experience be comparable? That's really the only reason I haven't picked it up myself (since I don't own a VITA).

I'm in the camp that feels it's "not my kind of game."

I just don't have time for a game like Tearaway. It's too... basic? I'm not sure how to put it. I don't like pure mechanical experiences anymore. So 3D platformers struggle to hold my attention.

I have played a game just for aesthetic before, but I'm not really into Tearaway's designs.

I'm expecting the PS4 version of Yooka-Laylee to bomb hard :(. The PC and Wii U/NX versions will be the most successful while the X1 version will be a good sales wise.

Ratchet PS4 will be fine due to it having a movie version (though its releasing two weeks away from Uncharted 4....another great marking move by the minds from Sony :l) and if the rumors are true about Crash coming back, I would be very surprised if Sony doesn't market Crash like their own Mario or Sonic.
I have hopes for ratchet but im skeptical with that uncharted delay

Besides how utterly charming it all is, I've been having a fucking blast with this game's photo functionality.

CWsMXJmWcAE4488.jpg:large

CWsZ6JGWEAAK_MS.jpg:large

CWsclPfWUAIqrfV.jpg:large

CWsgdWSXIAAZi4S.jpg:large

I think it's because it's already an 'old' game. I expect same thing will happen when Rise of the Tomb Raider gets released on PS4 (maybe to a lesser degree).

Haines

Banned
Simply too many other games.

Actually. This game will prob be a PS plus freebie some day. Sony can afford it and it won't sell much more now.

Top Bottom