• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't anybody care about Tearaway?

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's boring and not nearly as charming as it thinks it is, basically.

I don't doubt there's some degree of audience mismatch but let's be real, this game wouldn't magically be a hit on Wii U or whatever.

RK128

There's a lot more value to me, and many others, at enjoying stories that come out of situations, not a platformer that leaves zero room for interpretation, nuance, and more. It's just the most basic of games, the shallowest from any kind of mental stimulus apart from puzzles, which rarely tell a story.

I think people want stories, or make their own. Platformers tend to completely fail at that, and not even try, and I don't think they can.

First off, thank you for answering that :). Nice to hear a perspective on the matter of why platformers don't connect with people anymore.

Secondly, I can see where you are coming from, as many story focused action games or shooters are the most successful games (Last of Us, Uncharted series, Tomb Raider 2013, Bioshock Infinite and others answer this well as they all did well sales wise).

Corpekata

Banned
I love the art style but little else. Got bored of the actual gameplay and gimmicks fairly quickly, at least on the original Vita version.

I can see kids liking it more (not in a bad way, but I'm just not interested in a game making my pasty face the sun).

Granted a part of my disinterest is that I just don't care for a lot of the customization and creativity elements that others highlighted on the first page. Could never get into Minecraft or Littlebigplanet similarly. I'm glad the options are there but I mess around once or twice then never do anything with it again.

Jacknapes

It's a strange game. It's something i would have believed to have sold well on the PS4, seeing as it has a bigger audience than the Vita. It's certainly something different from the usual shooter games which are quite popular.

If Sony advertised it, i reckon it would sell decently. Wish more people would give it a chance, i loved the game on both the Vita and PS4.

$20 for a port, well it's not quite a port. Think of it as the version they wanted to make, but didn't have the space or power with the Vita, the PS4 has more and allows MM to showcase the potential of the game.

Skyzard

Banned
Incredible gift for a kid, young or older gamer. On Vita at least, not sure how those gimmicks come across on PS4.

Could have really done with more platforming stages. It started to get really fun but I guess they were going for a different sort of game and I get it but...I dunno, more optional parts to stages that are challenging.

Didn't really care for the story but whatever.

I bought it on PS4 day one. It's very charming, and pretty to look at, but after a couple of hours I realized that it simply wasn't fun. The gameplay becomes tedious after a while. Reading some of the replies in this thread, I guess that's what happened to a lot of people.

It definitely seems like a game that was crafted with a lot of love and passion, but as far as I'm concerned, it just isn't fun.

Kriken

I beat it on the Vita, the platforming did nothing for me and I'm far from a creative person, so that aspect did nothing for me as well. I understand the charm and why people want it to do well, but I just don't think the audience is really there.

I think this game is sort of in the same category as Yoshi's Woolly World. It's just not the kind of game most people are interested in playing anymore. The aesthetic is unique and cute, but is it enough?

Not for me, personally. :/

RK128

I have hopes for ratchet but im skeptical with that uncharted delay

I wouldn't be surprised if Ratchet doesn't bomb, but not sell as well as Insomniac/Sony hoped it would.

If Uncharted wasn't delayed, then the game would have done a lot better as it would be the 'big' exclusive for that month and the movie would do a lot to help sell the title.

But now that Uncharted 4 is releasing just two weeks after Ratchet & Clank's launch, I wouldn't be surprised that if the game sold say, 800k-1.2 million went too 400-600k sales wise.

Not bomb but not do amazingly well (bombing would be sub-100k or less).

IvanJ

Banned
I tried to play it, but I got bored of it very quickly. Can't pinpoint a reason, the whole game was just unappealing to me.

As someone that could like this game: I don't like the idea of buying remasters of games that I haven't played, I don't like the idea of buying non PS4 games for PS4, let alone a Vita game.

It's a stupid way of thinking because I certainly enjoy non PS4 games even on PS4, but the barrier is there and sometimes I can't make it go down, it helps me to buy other games that I really want without regrets.

NateDrake

I tried to play it, but I got bored of it very quickly. Can't pinpoint a reason, the whole game was just unappealing to me.

Likewise. I found the game to be very boring. Not much about it appealed to me. Felt like the game moved at a slow-pace and never did anything exciting or special.

Couleurs

I bought the Vita version in late 2013; it is really cute and charming, but the gameplay just bored the hell out of me once the newness of using the various Vita gimmicks (camera/rear touch pads, etc) wore off. I could see the PS4 version suffering from the same thing.

I pick it back up every few months since I really want to like the game; hopefully one of these times it'll finally click with me and I'll get hooked.

Man

Smart touches, soul & style in really impressive amounts.
Gameplay however is just boring I guess.

I'm in the camp that feels it's "not my kind of game."

I just don't have time for a game like Tearaway. It's too... basic? I'm not sure how to put it. I don't like pure mechanical experiences anymore. So 3D platformers struggle to hold my attention.

I have played a game just for aesthetic before, but I'm not really into Tearaway's designs.

Posts like this are making me want to play tearaway where I was indifferent before. I've been drifting the other direction with time- plot scenes in games are more likely to result in cynicism or impatience than ever before in my life. I'm craving mechanics-focused things more and more.

I guess I'll buy it when bloodborne eventually drags a ps4 into my house.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ratchet doesn't bomb, but not sell as well as Insomniac/Sony hoped it would.

If Uncharted wasn't delayed, then the game would have done a lot better as it would be the 'big' exclusive for that month and the movie would do a lot to help sell the title.

But now that Uncharted 4 is releasing just two weeks after Ratchet & Clank's launch, I wouldn't be surprised that if the game sold say, 800k-1.2 million went too 400-600k sales wise.

Not bomb but not do amazingly well (bombing would be sub-100k or less).
As long as we dont hit tearway levels were fine. Plus i think sony will market this one

SomTervo

I bet i would love the game. But as you say, i have no interest in it.

For me, it's thematic.

"Tearaway"? What does that mean? What does it refer to? Is it realistic, a drama? Cartoony?

Then i see pictures - it looks twee and "lite". Reminds me of LittleBigPlanet or B&K: Nuts and Bolts - games which were good but didnt hold my interest. Possibly a style over substance situation.

I still dont know what it's about or what i do in the game. (Obviously true of a lot of games. It'd subjective i guess. "Tearaway" isnt a memorable or appealing phrase to me and doesnt suggest a clear style eg LBP, Stacked or Noby Noby Boy.) Didn't even know it was a platformer until you said.

To be honest, this sounds more like a marketing failure than a 'thematic' failure. I dont think ive seen any adverts for the game and no gaming media publicity. I know nothing about it except the name and the cover image.

I enjoyed the Vita version, but it's a tough sell to the mainstream market. Tearaway is an *incredibly* slow paced game and I imagine the unique papercraft artstyle is probably more offputting than anything else.

I got it for Christmas and I'm loving it so far! I'm really confused as to why its underperforming. It's charming, fun, funny, and the interactivity is incredible. I've never felt like I've had so much control over a games world like Tearaway.

Posts like this are making me want to play tearaway where I was indifferent before. I've been drifting the other direction with time- plot scenes in games are more likely to result in cynicism or impatience than ever before in my life. I'm craving mechanics-focused things more and more.

I guess I'll buy it when bloodborne eventually drags a ps4 into my house.

Bloodborne is terrific. Play Bloodborne immediately.

You might try Rocket League, if you want "no bull shit" gameplay that just starts and stops when you want it to.

I haven't played Tearaway though. So I don't know if it's actually what you're looking for (or what I'm not).

samn

Having played LBP2 I'm sure Tearaway is very polished and well made but I don't trust Mm to put together decent platforming gameplay. I don't want to play something that feels like a chore even if it has interesting concepts.

RK128

As long as we dont hit tearway levels were fine. Plus i think sony will market this one

Sony will market it due to the game being paired up with a film, otherwise they would do little to nothing in pushing it.

They might want it to do well due to it likely being pricey to produce; the visuals look very close to the film in terms of quality and its a full-length Ratchet. Likely has a large budget linked to it too. Sony has interest in it doing well so they will ensure it does.

With Tearaway Unfolded and the original Vita release, it had a small dev team and the assets were not expensive to produce. Even the PS4 port largely re-uses assets from the Vita release and just upscale them. Both games were inexpensive to produce so Sony didn't bother to market them. Still bites though that both versions bombed hard :(.

Nobody was told why they should care. It comes off as a simple childish game that doesn't appeal to people outside of that audience.

I played it on vita and absolutely loved it. One of my favorite game of all time. Really got me emotional. I don't think they did a good job of conveying what is really there or, ironically enough, getting the message out.

Cipherr

People don't speak on it much but Xbox and PS brands don't do enough to entice the demo that would be more interested in stuff like Tearaway. Its the opposite of Nintendos problem only is more easily obscured because core gamers like the type of stuff MS/Sony consoles focus on. But it's a shame when a really good fucking game bricks and gets ignored simply because of its aesthetic. That type of shit annoys the hell out of me.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Recently bought it and finished it for PS4. It's a charming, delightful and creative platformer. But it does start very slowly, which is probably keeping people away from it.
I would recommend it to anyone that likes quirky, fun games. Just be patient with the game for the first couple of hours.

psychotron

Played half of the vita version and just bought the ps4 version. Fantasy game so far that brings back your inner child.

RK128

Do you think the reasons are similar as to why people aren't excited about the new Ratchet and Clank?

People are talking about the new Ratchet, a big contrast to Tearaway which had very few people even talking about the game prior to launch. I was even surprised by it and I'm deeply invested in the PS Vita community; got the demo close to launch and loved it a lot. Not long after I got it full price and it became my 2013 game of the year.

With Ratchet, people are amazed with the visuals and many have a connection to the series due to PS2 or PS3 history. So, the game is in a much better spot then Tearaway was prior to its launch.

Card Boy

Banned
I honestly feel Sony acquiring MM was a bit of a waste of money. They make charming looking games but they all play like dogshit. Money would being best spent trying to buy back Crash or something instead.

Do you think the reasons are similar as to why people aren't excited about the new Ratchet and Clank?
Ratchet and Clank has a more likeable art style, or maybe I should say more easily digestible, and the series has usually had some damn good platforming (unlike tear away 😏)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nothing about it looks appealing to me. And I mean, not just the art style. For instance, I've never been a fan of Rayman's art style at all. Yet I still think Rayman Origins is one of the best platformers I've ever played. Absolutely love it. Tearaway just looks...meh. Nothing about it gives me even the slightest desire to play it.

Plum

I played through the Vita version, loved it, and am looking forward to playing the PS4 version once I get through some of my backlog.

Why it's not loved though, it's because it's just an incredibly niche game nowadays. It's a 3D Platformer with a cutesy art-style on a console known for anything but those types of games. It's also way too easy, easier than something like SM64 or Banjo Kazooie, and that puts of a lot of the people who might not have minded the art-style and genre.

That said, I loved it and I don't really care if I can't talk about it the same way as I could for other Playstation 4 exclusives.

Bog

Junior Ace
It's boring and not nearly as charming as it thinks it is, basically.

I don't doubt there's some degree of audience mismatch but let's be real, this game wouldn't magically be a hit on Wii U or whatever.

I came in to say this. I found it really dull on Vita.

Frodo

It's sounds bad to say this, I'm just waiting for it to do even lower before I grab it. I can wait while I power through my backlog. Liked other people said, it looks interesting, but apart from the novelty of the visuals, it doesn't look like it has a lot else going on for it. I feel like I would get bored petty quickly, by what I've seen so far.

Yooka-Laylee had a huge reception and supposedly proved that people still want to play colorful character platformers. It brought tears to people's eyes, and the underdog factor was a major poetic event in 2015.

But there's a reason people stopped making 3D platformers: people stopped buying them.

I don't know exactly what that means. Maybe it's because most players are adults now, so they'll play games that play into their nostalgia. But they won't play original games on the spectrum of similarity because they're just not interested in them anymore.

It will be interesting to see how Ratchet and Clank performs.

Top Bottom