• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't anybody care about Tearaway?

Piggus

Best game I've played on the Vita, and it truly took advantage of the hardware in ways most games don't. It sucks that so many people ignored it. I would say that's their loss, but the devs deserve better. Sony also could have done a much better job with the marketing...

virtualS

Not enough heists, shooting or explosions.
Visually it looks like something for kids and even kids wouldn't be caught dead playing something for kids.

etc

Fantastic game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is from somebody who absolutely adores 3D platforming and was so hyped for this game:

Tearaway isn't very good.

It's not. The concept is cool. The artwork is unique. The gameplay, however, is dreadfully boring. It is slow-paced. It gets repetitive VERY quickly. Putting pictures in is one of those, "Hey, this is kind of neat" moments the first time. After that? Pointless.

I would love nothing more than a complete return of 3D platformers throughout the industry, but this game falls far short of what I would hope for.

Nightbird

It was the first game I played on my vita, and it proved to me that Sony is capable of doing Nintendo-like Software.

It's amazing

I care. It was one of the few games I wanted to play on the Vita. I was glad when it got a PS4 port. I just didn't want to pay $40 at the time it came out because I had other games to finish. You said it's on sale right? Guess I'll be buying it then.

Camjo-Z

I tried it on Vita for a bit but it just didn't click. Seemed more interested in showing off its cuteness and gimmicks than being a good platformer.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It plays like a decent old school 3D platformer that we don't get anymore. It's charming as hell. I'm not super compelled by it though. Glad to have the PS4 version on my shelf - it's cool. It's just not so shocking that the PlayStation audience doesn't click with it.

Who knows, but if we're making the Nintendo comparison, Tearaway is a much more creative and new/exciting game than anything Nintendo has put out in the past few years.

It's a shame it's apparently not done so well.

GOOCHY

I loved it on Vita and loved the art style. The game play was right up my alley at the time.

I suppose I can see how some people would think that it was a little slow in the beginning but it's not like it takes all that long to wind up.

Backlogger

Looks cool, but I just saw from a YouTube video that it requires touch controls on the DS4? Not really into that to be honest. Other than that, seems to have great art direction. Never really heard of it until I saw this thread.

Audience mismatch.
It's the kind of game that would sell better on Nintendo platforms for example.

Bingo.

It's exactly why the M-rated multi-plats have no pulse on Wii U. That audience is simply already being served, and doesn't need to buy a second platform to play more of the same kinds of games they already own.

It's also not a very action-packed / kinetic game, so it'll only appeal to a certain crowd of people who really like 3D platformers. Not every stylistic game can pull a Journey.

Kill3r7

I haven't played the PS4 version but bought the Vita version day one. The game is excellent but there really isn't much of a market for these types of games anymore. LBP3, a similar game, also sold pretty poorly last year and that is a pretty established franchise.

Has nothing to do with lack of an audience on PS4. The Lego games sell well on the system. They're bothering w/ Fat Princess, RnC, Tomorrow Children, Rime, Dreams etc which all have whimsical art styles, and some of which play to the platforming genre. People should atleast consider that or stop thinking things would magically be better on a Nintendo platform where people pretty much buy Nintendo games.

The better answer is, this holiday season was just too crammed, and exclusives got the short end of the stick. When a game of ROTR's caliber flat-out fails to move any decent sales whatsoever, what hope is there for something like Tearaway against that same competition?

I always appreciate when games use novel visual styles. I think Okami is probably still the prettiest game of all time.

But Tearaway just looks like a mess to me. I could take or leave the aesthetic, but the real problem is that it's just visual chaos. I think figure/ground don't have the necessary contrast to pop and help the eye follow.

Maybe it could work better as 2D with a fixed visual angle.

farmerboy

Ok op, I'm going to play it tonight. Had it for a while hoping me and the kid would play together. But alas, the 6yo just isn't real interested in games in general.

So I'm starting by myself, you've convinced me.

Always nice to see people flaunting their imagined superior taste.

For the unwashed commoners like me it was just a boring game. It's creative, no doubt but all that creativity is just fluff when your game puts me to sleep after the novelty wears off.

It has nothing to do with a lack of guns, tits or whatever cliché you wanna throw out.

sora87

It's a real shame, very different and charming experience. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it was Nintendo behind it and it was one of their new IPs this gen. Same with Puppeteer come to think of it.

Skyzard

Banned
Ok op, I'm going to play it tonight. Had it for a while hoping me and the kid would play together. But alas, the 6yo just isn't real interested in games in general.

So I'm starting by myself, you've convinced me.

Hmm, sorry to hear your kid isn't into gaming. That scares me :p

Can't have him sit and watch you play? He'll want to grab it off you, surely.

Bingo.

It's exactly why the M-rated multi-plats have no pulse on Wii U. That audience is simply already being served, and doesn't need to buy a second platform to play more of the same kinds of games they already own.

It's also not a very action-packed game, so it'll only appeal to a certain crowd of people who really like 3D platformers. Not every stylistic game can pull a Journey.

I dunno, didn't things like Okami or Boy and his Blob do pretty terribly on the Wii? Surely that is the right audience. I feel like it's impossible to cite a single reason for these critical darlings that fail commercially. Sometimes fortune just isn't kind.

TalonJH

Mix of the art style not jiving with older audiences and Sony not being great about marketing games to younger audiences or non blockbusters IMO.

Its gorgeous artstyle, music, and story were deserving of a more interesting game. The platformer sections were repetitive, bland, and incredibly simplistic to the point where I questioned their inclusion. I had more fun running around the open areas doing errands, as during those segments I was able to slow down and interact with the world.

Not enough heists, shooting or explosions.
Visually it looks like something for kids and even kids wouldn't be caught dead playing something for kids.

etc

Fantastic game.

Really? Some of the most fun games out there look like 'they're for kids'.

I blame Sony failing to market it well.

I played the demo on Vita, thought it was meh, and didn't buy the game. Took a chance and bought it on PS4 and loved it. Very unique, aesthetically pleasing, and good gameplay.

Tearway would be at like 2mil+ if it was on Nintendo im not even joking. Its a very good game but the audience just isn't there. Hell kid friendly games sell better on every platform.
Yeah, and it's a shame really. Not really sure what Sony can do to build an audience for these sorts of games on PS4, but I know if it were on a Nintendo system it would have probably sold a lot more.

I get the impression that the people who keep saying this don't actually play Nintendo games. I thought the gameplay was boring and unfocused, and absolutely not something that Nintendo would make. A game needs more than colors and quirkiness to appeal to Nintendo fans. Maybe it would sell better, but not by much.

Oersted

There was no hype for the PS4 version at all.

If I would have to guess, Sony looked at the sale numbers and thought it ain't worth a noticeable marketing push.

They had some cute postcards here in cinemas, where you could get the Tearaway character as a figure.

But thats obviously not enough. For me, it looks like its missing a clear selling point, or atleast, there was none communicated. Like why should people buy the game?

I dunno, didn't things like Okami or Boy and his Blob do pretty terribly on the Wii? Surely that is the right audience.

Wasn't Okami Wii the best-selling version?

I get the impression that the people who keep saying this don't actually play Nintendo games. I thought the gameplay was boring and unfocused, and absolutely not something that Nintendo would make. A game needs more than colors and quirkiness to appeal to Nintendo fans. Maybe it would sell better, but not by much.

Yeah, I don't think being on a Nintendo platform would have made this game a success - for all the reasons you stated - but it probably would have fared better than it did in PS4.

I still really liked the game, but it doesn't have the kinetic energy that Nintendo games do.

corn_fest

Yup. The game is basically the antithesis of Nintendo's philosophy. It definitely values style over substance (gameplay).

Cute game with an interesting concept.. But in the end I really didn't have much fun with it... Sony should have made it a launch PS4 title... They're way too many games out right now and Tearaway has gotten lost in the mix

Absolutely loved it on Vita, and felt that it - more than any game - made fantastic use of all of the Vita's hardware features.

Got about 60% of the way through Unfolded. I don't think the changes they made are very good, and the extra sections they added in only serve to drag out what I felt was a perfect length and pace that the original had.

Some maybe don't like the cute-ish style, or maybe had shaky experiences with past Media Molecule games. In any case, it's a real shame more people haven't given it a shot.

JCX

Just don't care for the game. Tried both versions, neither hooked me. PS4 version is better though.

EGM1966

People are philistines with limited tastes and a tendency towards brash, action orientated escapism.

I bought it twice though. Guess I'm cultured.

Or it maybe the games just a bit too tricky to market and fragile of concept.

I'm glad I played it anyway. Twice.

farmerboy

Hmm, sorry to hear your kid isn't into gaming. That scares me :p

Can't have him sit and watch you play? He'll want to grab it off you, surely.

I honestly think she'll come around. She's very creative so I thought Tearaway would be perfect. She could do some of the easier parts plus the second screen stuff and I'd do the harder parts.

Honestly, I think she gets frustrated because her coordination isn't up to scratch yet, plus trying to manage movement and the camera. Also, the controller is a bit big still.

I think I can get her around :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I bought it on Vita over a year ago, played it once and have never had the desire to pick it back up again.

I don't know what it is about this game but as a huge fan of platformers if I have to force myself to play Tearaway then I can't imagine the rest of the 90% of gamers who aren't fans of the genre would want to play it.

Z O N E

I honestly feel this generation hates good platformers :l.

I'm serious thinking this, as while kickstarters for things like A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee got a lot of success, no one bought Tearaway Unfolded at launch. It could be from Sony being idiots and not marketing the damn title but it could also be from PS4 owners not being interested that; they would rather get Destiny or something else.

It is a damn shame, considering how the PS4 version did such a good job adapting the game for the console. Maybe people just hate creative, charming games and if that is the case, then I really have apathy for this new generation of gamers :l.

Edit: I'm sorry if my post sounds very angry but the game was ripped from the Vita with the intent to get a wider audience and for it to bomb even harder on PS4 then it did on Vita.....shows a lot in how both Sony markets its titles (they don't bother if it isn't Uncharted or God of War) and how the PS4 userbase is largely composed of people liking more violent titles.

Or maybe, people just don't like what they saw and didn't want to get it?

Just because you think that game is creative, charming does not mean I will. I hate 3D Platformers because they are not my cup of tea. Also, it's a 3D Platformer in 2015... I really don't need to say any more.

Top Bottom