• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't anybody care about Tearaway?

Combination of things. How many people can identify the name of the player character? Do kid friendly games sell on Sony hardware? Is the game fun to play or can you get the same or better experience anywhere else?

Like Sackboy or Knack before it, this character just isn't interesting enough for anyone to care. Not even Crash would sell on PlayStation in 2015.

gwailo

Banned
I tried the demo and found it dull. Yet another indie platformer that emphasizes style and quirkiness vs actually compelling gameplay. Looks just like any number of games of the same type that eventually get put on PS+ so that's probably why there's not much interest for it.

I'm seeing a lot of people ITT dismissing it because of the visuals/ aesthetics and that's fine. But I encourage you to try the demo on ps4 and see if it grabs you then. I actually quite disliked the art style and had no interest in the game but as soon as I gave it a shot on ps4, something clicked. Overall it was one of my favorite games of the year.

Played it on Vita and personally, I don't get it.

Extremely linear for a game that tries to stress creativity. There simply isn't that much to do, and exploring/sightseeing isn't that fun when the stuff you're seeing isn't that impressive. Everything being paper doesn't impress me either.

I don't know, I'm glad people find some kind of beauty in it, to each their own, but I think this game would find its best success as a launch title showcasing hardware

GametimeUK

It was pretty much one of the reasons I bought a Vita. I haven't got round to the PS4 version because I can't shake the feeling it will be greatly inferior to the outing on Vita. The fact I have no camera for PS4 is a huge turn off.

(edit) for the record I think the Vita version is outstanding.

synce

Too expensive. I played it, and it's a great game, but I can't pay full price for a platformer in this day and age, especially a single player one. Give me a physical copy for $20 and I might bite.

I bought it for the vita, and even though it has good artstyle its just not that great in my opinion. It didnt help that I found it to be far too easy either.

Ratchet probably suffers more from franchise fatigue and it being a remake than anything else. People just sort of gradually lost interest in the series. It had like a dozen games and the last few were met with relative disinterest. If it was a brand new game going all out I'd bet we'd seeing a lot more excitement.

Also might suffer from presumptions it's a tie-in to the movie which never really helps with perceptions of quality. I mean, it IS a tie in the to movie, I guess.

Ratchet as a series suffered due to 5 years spinoff budget titles, not franchise fatigue. I've seen more hype for this new game than I've seen for anything R&C in a long time. Seems like it's in a pretty bad position with DSIII and UC4 though...

PMS341

Bought it on Vita around launch, and while the PS4 version looks downright gorgeous, the game just wasn't super "gripping", if that makes sense. It was fun, it looked aesthetically pleasing, but nothing compelled me to continue on after a few hours. I do feel like I'll finish it one day, but it is officially in the backlog.

I gave the demo a chance on the Vita after seeing others praise it. Tried it, despite not liking the art style. I could only ever get up to the part where you have to make a crown for the squirrel, the game was so boring it made me fall asleep.

Oneself

A platformer that has a demo that prevents the player from jumping. Bad idea, terrible demo, lost sales.

That being said, it's an absolutely fantastic game and a real looker on PS4. Probably the best IQ this gen.

Skyzard

Banned
I honestly think she'll come around. She's very creative so I thought Tearaway would be perfect. She could do some of the easier parts plus the second screen stuff and I'd do the harder parts.

Honestly, I think she gets frustrated because her coordination isn't up to scratch yet, plus trying to manage movement and the camera. Also, the controller is a bit big still.

I think I can get her around :)

Good luck!

That really reinforces that I ought to accept their decision for not having more challenging platforming levels was the right call, despite how much I wanted more of them.

It's such a good package for young-ins, why spoil that by catering for me.

I tried the demo and found it dull. Yet another indie platformer that emphasizes style and quirkiness vs actually compelling gameplay. Looks just like any number of games of the same type that eventually get put on PS+ so that's probably why there's not much interest for it.

This is a really dumb post. Media Molecule does not equal indie. And I'm not even sure why that would make a difference anyway.

But yeah mang! Really getting annoyed by all those 3d platformer indies out there!

Too expensive. I played it, and it's a great game, but I can't pay full price for a platformer in this day and age, especially a single player one. Give me a physical copy for $20 and I might bite.

The game was $40 when it was released. I'm pretty sure that that's not full price.

Betty

Banned
People saying the audience isn't there, I'm not so sure that's true.

Yooka Laylee will do great on PS4 and Xbox One, and that's in the same vein as this.

Banjo

I'm playing it right now (bought it for $20 on BF), and it's artstyle made me go back to the moment I played the Wind Waker for the first time.
Maybe the game is not for everyone (lot of motion inputs, but they're ok), but if there is a demo everyone should try it.

There's a lot more value to me, and many others, at enjoying stories that come out of situations, not a platformer that leaves zero room for interpretation, nuance, and more. It's just the most basic of games, the shallowest from any kind of mental stimulus apart from puzzles, which rarely tell a story.

I think people want stories, or make their own. Platformers tend to completely fail at that, and not even try, and I don't think they can.

This has got to be one of the most pretentiously stupid things I've seen on GAF. And I play more games with stories than platformers.

I notice a lot of people being turned off by the demo.

Others have said the demo sequence is basically the tutorial part of the game, which in of itself is a bit too long.

Is this a case of the demo backfiring?

woen

Combination of things. How many people can identify the name of the player character? Do kid friendly games sell on Sony hardware? Is the game fun to play or can you get the same or better experience anywhere else?

Like Sackboy or Knack before it, this character just isn't interesting enough for anyone to care. Not even Crash would sell on PlayStation in 2015.

You have it all wrong.

The name of the character(s) doesn't matter (especially if it's not a series or a game centered around a character).

What is a "kid friendly game" ? Are you speaking of aesthetics and the fact that there is no gun, boom, explosions light sabers ?

How would you know if the game is "fun to play" ? And few people have a Vita.

Also, lol a people saying $20 is too expensive.

So, main reason is that we live in a world where people go massively to watch Star Wars and other big hollywood blockbusters (something several times) and are not used to see other things that don't fit 97% of the hollywood movies. Same things happens in video games with AAA, and because it is easier to play (little) games than to watch (indie) movies, sometimes you have "hype" around a few titles that manage to get through the AAA marketing. But not much, it stays a niche, even when it is supported by a console publisher. Tearaway is in that niche and didn't manage to get through.

Other reasons : the visuals can't please everyone, 3D platform/puzzle is very popular in 2015, not enough marketing or support from Sony to explain the concept (or a lack a concept in the beginning?), the demo being a tutorial and not a cool sequence, it's a re-release...

It reminded me way too much of LBP which is a series that I was more then down with after the second.

The fact that it is made by MediaMolecule is the only thing shared with LBP.

I have the vita version, never really got into it and doubt I'll get the ps4 version unless its on PS+.

I dunno, its just a boring game to me. I find the intro too cutesy, too much talking and tutorials before you actually get into the game, and the game itself not that interesting. I just cannot connect with the characters or levels in any way.

To be fair I do feel like it takes either IP I know to really feel like I am jazzed to play the game. I enjoy of course all the Nintendo first party platformers, but even stuff like the Lara Croft 2D or Assassins Creed 2D games I was jazzed to buy and play. Tearaway.... meh.

and yeah whoever said it reminds them of LBP hit it on the nose, it really felt like a LBP spin off even though I have no idea if the companies are related in any way or not.

Smidget

I bought it on sale from Target, beat it, and traded it back a month or so ago overall costing $0.

It was ok. Some clever bits, I liked the aesthetics, but overall just kinda "meh". The game itself was extremely easy, I'm not a giant fan of creating so the drawing/cutting/stamps were lost on me.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Shame to see posts saying it's the aesthetic of the game turning them away. It's my favorite part of the thing.

GOOCHY

I just picked up a physical PS4 copy for $19 on Amazon thanks to this thread reminding me. Been meaning to do that.

Raylan

Banned
It's a fantastic and beautiful game. But platformers are dying. They're dead on arrival if they are not from Nintendo.

I notice a lot of people being turned off by the demo.

Others have said the demo sequence is basically the tutorial part of the game, which in of itself is a bit too long.

Is this a case of the demo backfiring?

Yeah, it's the very beginning of the game; the tutorial plus the first level. The tutorial definitely went on a bit too long (though I was still liking it).

Once I got to the first level, I really started liking it a LOT more.

The demo probably didn't do the game any favors. They should abridge that tutorial and let players get into the first level more quickly.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Splatoon was a copy/heavily based on another game wasn't it? :p

I remember seeing an alpha video of some independent shooter that was doing the "win by painting" mechanic, but it never came out as far as I know.

People saying the audience isn't there, I'm not so sure that's true.

Yooka Laylee will do great on PS4 and Xbox One, and that's in the same vein as this.

Yooka Laylee is also very specifically aiming to appease a specifically nostalgic audience, and despite the Kickstarter success, who knows how that game will do when it comes to actual sales versus people who backed it. Not to mention the obvious question of "will this be any good or not?"

Skyzard

Banned
I remember seeing an alpha video of some independent shooter that was doing the "win by painting" mechanic, but it never came out as far as I know.

Oh I think that was right so it was indeed good of them to pick it up and people were asking for a nintendo fps (including me asking for Mario Paint at least so it doesn't offend as bullets would with mario) at the time so it was smart.

It's kind of... missing something. Some kind of spark.

I platinum'd it on Vita, and I kinda-sorta enjoyed it and was surprisingly affected by the story, but I was just sort of bored for a large portion of the game (in a way I never was with LBP).

With the PS4 version specifically it probably is timing as well. This should have been a late spring / early summer "lull" release.

ZServ

Don't get me wrong, I loved Tearaway. I even got the platinum trophy on it.

But A; the game was never worth $40 to begin with. It's like what, 6 hours long to *platinum*? The story is simple enough, especially for a platformer: You're a letter. Deliver yourself. Except the majority of the game focuses on telling *that* story, rather than being a platformer. There's more platforming in the first level of SM64 than the majority of Tearaway. That's not a diss on Tearaway, by any means. The game IS fantastic and when it's ACTUALLY being a platformer, it's some of the most fun I had on my vita. Unfortunately, the content isn't there, and while it's incredibly charming, I agree with some posters here that the game feels too "indie."

Except I don't think it feels indie, I think it feels like an XBLA game. So, I really couldn't in good conscience tell anyone to spend $30 on the game. Or $40.

But it's currently $20, so go buy it, people.

I know art is subjective and all, but how can you not like the art style in this game? It's honestly one of the best visual whimsy styles out there, and more visually impressive than any of Nintendo's Wii U stuff aside from the Kirby and Yoshi games.

Visually it's quite creative, so it's a bit odd seeing claims that the art style is "ugly" :/

Don't get me wrong, I loved Tearaway. I even got the platinum trophy on it.

But A; the game was never worth $40 to begin with. It's like what, 6 hours long to *platinum*? The story is simple enough, especially for a platformer: You're a letter. Deliver yourself. Except the majority of the game focuses on telling *that* story, rather than being a platformer. There's more platforming in the first level of SM64 than the majority of Tearaway. That's not a diss on Tearaway, by any means. The game IS fantastic and when it's ACTUALLY being a platformer, it's some of the most fun I had on my vita. Unfortunately, the content isn't there, and while it's incredibly charming, I agree with some posters here that the game feels too "indie."

Except I don't think it feels indie, I think it feels like an XBLA game. So, I really couldn't in good conscience tell anyone to spend $30 on the game. Or $40.

But it's currently $20, so go buy it, people.
Personally I think this is a terrible way to judge a game's value, nothing personal. Length should not dictate cost, if the experience is fulfilling. It also sets a precedent that indies are "worth less" than AAA games, when many of the best experiences the past several years have been from indie games. Just attaches an arbitrary monetary value to things and doesn't act as a good standard to judge quality at all.

Granted I haven't played Tearaway, so maybe you not getting a fulfilling experience seems to justify your opinion here, but it just sounds like a dangerous opinion that can lead to others taking extreme stances on anything that's not a AAA FPS or Uncharted clone, and there's enough of that as it is.

Sojourner

Neo Member
Played the demo back on the Vita when it first came out. I like the art style, but the gameplay wasn't there for me. Seemed very linear and not the least bit challenging. And for a platformer, it really didn't seem to have much in the way of platforming. All the extra stuff(touch controls, camera stuff, photo stuff) didn't really appeal to me. Maybe one day I'll play it, but I have other games waiting to be played that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Ansatz

Yup. The game is basically the antithesis of Nintendo's philosophy. It definitely values style over substance (gameplay).

That's what I think as well when looking up media for the game. It looks charming so it has my attention but I don't see anything special in terms of gameplay. What's happening on the screen can be interesting but the underlying gameplay of the scenes seems very simplistic. Plus it's too.. calm? slow? There's just something off with the game's feel.

Do you think the reasons are similar as to why people aren't excited about the new Ratchet and Clank?

There is a big difference in mindshare between Ratchet and Tearaway, at least if you ask my friends. They will acknowledge Ratchet as an okay game and nod, while saying Tearaway looks like garbage and immediately dismiss it. But they would buy neither obviously. I think this difference in perception is explained by the high production values, Ratchet looks "current gen" technically speaking and has cutscenes, voice acting, special effects, detailed animations and all that i.e. it resembles their big AAA games in many ways. The problem is that it's cartoony and kiddy, but a fine game nonetheless.

If you ask me personally, if I wanted a 3D platformer then Ratchet wouldn't be high on my priority list since it's more TPS gameplay than actual platforming, based on the game I played and finished (ToD). Still I enjoyed combat and the upgrade system, I had fun trying out the various weapon types. The game was decent but I was ultimately disappointed because I came in expecting a platformer. If I had a PS4 I'd probably get the new Ratchet to have something to play on the system.

Skyzard

Banned
I think it helps to think of it less a platformer and more of a journey.

To appreciate what is there, which is substantial, just maybe not something that would entirely satisfy people with our level of gaming experience.

Makes you feel good though. Just don't rush it.

It was my number 3 game of the year but I admit I slept on the vita version. It was a mix of hearing it was gameplay "light", short, and thinking the younger appeal wouldn't work for me.

But then I got it, played it, loved it immensely.

What does this even mean.

And if you can platinum Unfolded in 6 hours without following a collectibles guide, I'd be incredibly impressed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tried multiple times to stay hooked on the Vita version, liked the concept and the use of the device's feature set, but the game just failed to keep me playing or that engaged.

Just picked it up on the PSN sale for PS4 for another attempt...

PaulloDEC

Loved it on Vita, loved it on PS4.

If I had to guess, I'd say that a lot of people here aren't interested in platformers that aren't mechanically focussed. Tearaway is primarily a creative adventure with elements of platforming, which isn't going to satisfy a big portion of the platformer crowd.

Add to that the usual selection of people who'll dismiss it as being hipster/twee or aren't interested in the amount of non-traditional gameplay and you've got a fairly niche product.

kyser73

Beautiful & fun game on the PS4, in 1080/60 nonetheless.

The later level especially have some gorgeous art - the Journey-like desert, the wonderful abstract floating pages level...loved the two narrators too, and there are some nice nods to the Vita version. Makes great use of the touchpad & LED in the DS4 too.

A bite-sized nugget for sure, but like a Lindor chocolate.

Kieli

I almost exclusively play indie games and I still don't have a lot of interest in this game.

And I own a Vita TV to boot. :\

ZServ

What does this even mean.

And if you can platinum Unfolded in 6 hours without following a collectibles guide, I'd be incredibly impressed.

It feels like a lower budget title, I guess would be the "proper" term? I'm not sure.

I haven't played Unfolded yet, since I already played the vita version. Yes, I know it's different.

I know art is subjective and all, but how can you not like the art style in this game? It's honestly one of the best visual whimsy styles out there, and more visually impressive than any of Nintendo's Wii U stuff aside from the Kirby and Yoshi games.

Visually it's quite creative, so it's a bit odd seeing claims that the art style is "ugly" :/

Personally I think this is a terrible way to judge a game's value, nothing personal. Length should not dictate cost, if the experience is fulfilling. It also sets a precedent that indies are "worth less" than AAA games, when many of the best experiences the past several years have been from indie games. Just attaches an arbitrary monetary value to things and doesn't act as a good standard to judge quality at all.

Granted I haven't played Tearaway, so maybe you not getting a fulfilling experience seems to justify your opinion here, but it just sounds like a dangerous opinion that can lead to others taking extreme stances on anything that's not a AAA FPS or Uncharted clone, and there's enough of that as it is.

I'm not judging the games value in a "money to time" ratio in that particular manner, I don't think. If it was 8 hours that blew me away from start to finish, I would totally agree with you. The idea of game value is hard to pin down, since it varies to much from person to person. That's why the ever-popular hours-to-dollars ratio is used so commonly, but I don't personally think that alone that dictates anything substantial. For example, if you hate Witcher 3's combat, it doesn't matter how long the game is, because of the fact that you hate a core component of the game. However, the more you like all of the elements in a game, the more "time" contributes to value. Until Dawn is of similar length to Tearaway, and I happily paid $60 for it. Value is ultimately made up of several factors, and yes, time & cost are both factors. But, so is stuff like "how much of this experience will be new to me," and tons of incredibly personal things that can't really be accurately recorded.

Tearaway ultimately left me wanting more than I got. I don't mean to boil it down to "it wasn't worth $40 to me," because then we get into this discussion, so hence this edit.

jjonez18

Good games get ignored sometimes. Happenes more often then not for good, unique games. I fear the same will happen to Dreams, unless Sony push it as some kind of learning tool. PS+ Tearaway or better marketing would do Tearaway 2 wonders.

I'm of the belief Platformers can do well on consoles other than Nintendo's in today's climate. Just takes a little more effort than a good vita game port. As far as R&C goes, it's a budget release of a known franchise. Combined with the movie, it will do well.

I played the demo expecting a platformer, but I couldn't even jump for 90% of it. The "combat" is also more work than it is fun. Sure it's a cool idea to aim the DS4 light to lead enemies to their death, but it wasn't very fun to do. I wanted to platform and collect shit, but I spent most of my time shooting balls into hoops and banging drums and stuff. It felt like a mini-game tour. If that first hour is any indicative of the entire game, it just wasn't going to hold my interest.

I loved the atmosphere and how inventive and clever it was however. But cleverness =/= fun.

Cool game, I beat it on Vita, and bought it again on PS4. But, just like Puppeteer, GAF over hypes how good they are.

Solid 8/10 games, in niche genres, and without the iconic appeal of famous Nintendo characters. It's not hard to see why they don't sell a lot. Sure, both are charming, but they are not tried and true platforming experiences where you can sink hundreds of hours trying to perfect a level. I think those types of platform titles are a bit more appealing than Tearaway tbh, it's fairly easy straight through. Love the new stuff on PS4 though...certainly a nice gem.

However small, they have there fans though, I feel like threads like this are knee-jerk reactions when the devs themselves are likely not looking to set the world on fire with smaller, experimental games like Tearaway.

Top Bottom