• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Story and Lore Discussion Thread

I've been playing Tekken since I was like...9 years old I think, and eventually what gripped me to it was the story, I know most people don't play fighting games for that but I suck at actually playing the game. Tekken 7 is supposed to conclude the Mishima clan curse saga, so let's take a moment to go through all the mysteries that this franchise set up for itself.

Firstly, a lot of the stuff in this series gets retconned. It's retcon galore. I know because I remember being a kid on manji-clan.com's forum and the discussions that happened there. For instance, the characters Baek Doo San and Wang Jinrei were supposed to have been killed by Ogre, and part of the reason Hwoarang and Xiao enter the tournament respectively's for revenge. Later on those characters were just retconned into being injured by Ogre, but not killed. Again, I can't post evidence to prove this but this was something talked about from back in the day. Which kind of annoys me because that means pretty much none of the characters have died other than Jinpachi.

Some of the characters' ethnicities are sort of mixed up as well. Like in Tekken 3-4, Lei Wulong has a Chinese accent but in Tekken 5 it is replaced with an American accent. I'd consider that a retcon as well, or at the very least, an inconsistency. I believe Bryan Fury and Bruce Irvin were supposed to be drug dealing partners from back in the day as well, although it seems that's been retconned into them not really having a history. But I remember reading about that on manji-clan.com. They had a special intro together in TTT

latest

Lee Chaolan (sp?) and Anna Williams were supposed to be somewhat romantically linked, and that was reimagined in the anime, but in Tekken Blood Vengeance, it seemed they didn't know who each other were. Although neither of those movies are canon.

Second of all, the origin of the Devil Gene is still kinda unclear. By the looks of Tekken 7 it seems like it is genetic, something that Kazuya inherited from his mother but in some of the T6 endings, they turned it into something that anybody can acquire. That's weird. I thought it was something that only Mishimas had to deal with. But there's a lot more questions that need answering, some we may not get the answer to but a lot of which was put out, I feel like, to make the player ask questions.

As for the non-canon endings, meaning the endings from Tag, and all the characters other than the protagonists in the canon games which weren't canon, I feel like just because they didn't further the story, doesn't mean they didn't happen. Like, we know King II did beat Craig Murdock so maybe he did visit him in the hospital. So his Tekken 4 ending did occur perhaps, he just didn't win the tournament.

Also, for example, Xiao's school TTT ending. She's talking to Jin. Perhaps wishing him luck in the tournament? So yeah, maybe some of the endings do have some sort of meaning and aren't purposeless. Which brings me to Kazuya's T2 ending; I thought the Devil character was Kazuya in Devil form. His transformation in TTT confirms this. So how is it he's in two places at once? Even though yes, that ending didn't happen...I'm just trying to make sense out of it.

tl;dr

-What is up with Steve Fox's scar?
-Who is Steve Fox's father?
-Was Jun really there in the Tekken 4 ending or was Jin hallucinating?
-Is Unknown really Jun or is that a trick?
-Is Unknown going to be more than just a Tag character?
-What is the significance of the wolf behind Unknown?
-Why does Unknown have the same (but kinda backwards) tattoo as Jin?
-What is the origin of Raven's X scar on his face?
-What was the monster in Dragunov's T5 ending?
-Will Asuka's father ever be a significant figure?
-Will Jin ever finally hook up with Xiao?
-Or...will he hook up with Asuka?
-Does Claudio have the Devil gene too?
-What is Gigas?
-Will Jane ever make a significant appearance along with Jack?
-Is Jin truly evil?
-Is Jin even aware of the fact that he has an uncle?

+more, that's just all off the top of my head.

EDIT: more

more burning questions off the top of my head

-Although Asuka's T5 ending wasn't canon (since she didn't win the tournament) - are the implicating events of the ending canon? Meaning,
-Is she, along with Xiao a potential romantic interest for Jin (again, I don't condone incestuous practices however it is true that in some cultures, cousin on cousin marriages are legal)
-Does she have the Devil reversal healing powers like Jun does?

Furthermore, going back on TTT, even though the game itself is not canon, I think some of the endings may be more than what meets the eye.

-Ogre's ending...where he lifts up a seemingly defeated Jin Kazama. What if this is cannon? What if this took place in between Paul's win against Ogre and Ogre's transformation to True Ogre? Behind the scenes, Unknown (whom we know is supposed to be Jun's sister) interrupts Ogre's probably execution of Jin. Perhaps it is after that in which Ogre transforms? Giving Jin time to recover and fight again?

-Again, just because a character didn't win the tournament doesn't necessarily mean their ending wasn't canon. King II didn't win Tekken 4, however, he did face Marduk and won. But left him alive. So it can be deduced that King II's Tekken 4 ending WAS canon. This a rather easy one, but how many other Tekken endings could've been canon? This includes the TTT games.

-This one is from me personally, but I wonder if Jin's Australian master will ever make a role. Most likely he won't, however, he/she being the one who taught Jin the ways of Karate, is surely aware of the fact that Jin started World War III. Is he not gonna feel any guilt or remorse for training the young man responsible? Again, most likely not, but I think it'd be interesting.

thinking...

-What is the full extent of Xiao's role in this series? At best, her crush/love for Jin has been nothing more than a running gag and the character herself has just been some ass-kicking happy go lucky chick. Not that I want the essence of her character changed, but should her role not be taken more seriously? I don't even know if Jin's devil gene is publicly known, so is Xiao yet to discover this side to Jin?

which reminds me,

this whole thing with Akuma is very confusing. First of all from just a gameplay standpoint, from everything I see from his very own design to fighting style, he doesn't seem like a Tekken character, he seems like a Street Fighter character fighting in a Street Fighter game, except not, since he's in a Tekken game. If this is a prelude to TxSF, shouldn't it have been that way? After all, all of the Tekken characters in SFxT did have the SF art style, and fighting. Bringing me to my next two questions.

-With all this considered, is it reasonable to believe that maybe Akuma is part of a "what if" side story scenario instead of being part of the canon story? I certainly can't be the only who finds it weird to add him to being an integral, vital part to the story.

-If I am wrong though, and he is in fact canon and has been the entire time, does that mean SFxT was canon as well? It would makes things really convoluted if it weren't, in fact, this would also have to mean that Namco X Capcom is canon as well because that was the first time all these characters crossed paths.

What do you think?

Pretty sure the canon winner of every Tekken Tournament is Lee Chaolan, except of course for Tekken Tag Tournaments where the winner was the team of Lee Chaolan and Lee Chaolan.

Cahme ohn!

cordy

Banned
A few I have.

1.) How is Heihachi so strong?

Heihachi's made out to be the strongest pure human in the Tekken series. He's constantly beating down characters who literally have some demon-like power inside of him and I for the life of me don't understand how. What Heihachi does is unreal. Besides that, the dude's very old and yet he's still kicking ass.

Mind-boggling.

2.) How strong is Paul in the current timeline? He was Kazuya's old rival in 1-2 but since then he hasn't even interacted with him. I hope for his sake he revives his rivalry with him in T7. Also Paul was the one who defeated Ogre in Tekken 3 but he left afterwards and then he turned into True Ogre which Jin defeated. Paul's amazing.

entremet

How is Heihachi so strong?

Heihachi's made out to be the strongest pure human in the Tekken series. He's constantly beating down characters who literally have some demon-like power inside of him and I for the life of me don't understand how. What Heihachi does is unreal. Besides that, the dude's very old and yet he's still kicking ass.

Mind-boggling.
He also survived being thrown down a mountain and being blown up lol.

There wasn't any proof that Ogre killed Baek Doo San, nor have we ever heard of Wang Jin Rei being killed by him.

Regarding Gigas, there's two possibilities. One, is that he's Marduk. Specifically, Marduk kidnapped by either Dr. Abel(who I think is dead as of Tekken 4?), or by the Mishima Zaibatsu. They kidnapped him, and forced him to undergo experiments that changed his physique to monstrous proportions. It's either that, or Dr. Abel/Mishima Zaibatsu kidnapped him and made a clone of Marduk with his DNA, only the clone is bigger and meaner. We'll find out in the console version.

2.) How strong is Paul in the current timeline? He was Kazuya's old rival in 1-2 but since then he hasn't even interacted with him. I hope for his sake he revives his rivalry with him in T7. Also Paul was the one who defeated Ogre in Tekken 3 but he left afterwards and then he turned into True Ogre which Jin defeated. Paul's amazing.

Namco seems to be content with turning Paul into a joke character. Ever since Tekken 5, his character has been that of a stupid, financially broke martial artist who is obsessed with kicking the ass of aliens. I mean, he never was book smart, but he was certainly a very disciplined martial artist. Tekkens 5-7 don't seem to depict that part of his character, instead going for the comedy factor.

Like, in Street Fighter x Tekken, whenever he dropped the opponent down to critical HP, he'd say "Whoa, I'm winning?!". Whoa, you're winning?! Dude, you won the King of Iron Fist Tournament twice, you should be sure of your ability as a martial artist, not somebody who flubs his way to winning fights.

Honestly, in terns of "canon strength" or whatever, Paul is probably among the strongest in the Tekken series. Just below the monsters and Devil Gene users. He could go toe to toe with Kazuya, and still can--not that the endings will acknowledge that.

Rajang

A few I have.

1.) How is Heihachi so strong?

Mind-boggling.

Dont fuck with Heihachi.

heihachi-axe-catch-o.gif

All we know of the wolf spirit is that it is implied that it was the one making every move Unknown makes as it's behind her doing the moves with her.
There is potential that the wolf spirit can't even be seen by the characters but to the player for visual reference (and it looks cool)

There have been speculations about the Ogre and Unknown confrontation. Since she was planned to be Jun's sister the theory is she was trying to avenge her not exactly saving Jin from it.

Making Jun unknown makes things kinda muddy and since there is truly nothing to go off of only thing we know is that it's the same wolf spirit from Tag 1.

Luigiv

Do people actually care about Tekken's story? I'm genuinely curious, because I didn't think that was even physically possible.

Do people actually care about Tekken's story? I'm genuinely curious, because I didn't think that was even physically possible.

Yes and it was at its best in 4 but went downhill from there.

Tekken 7 might have a story mode as well or something story related.

cordy

Banned

Tekken's story is arguably the deepest as a whole in all fighting game lore. It has different transitions and such. Hell Tekken's story as a whole is better than most games and their story. As much as I love Megaman for example, if you compare a whole series of that to the Tekken series then Tekken's deeper.

Bardiche

Will Asuka's father ever be a significant figure?

With the inclusion of Kazumi and the emphasis on the Mishimas and Kazamas, there is a possibility that he could be in the storyline or possibly become a playable character himself since he did train Asuka along with many other students. He would be Feng Wei's rival.

Tekken's story took a huge nosedive after Tekken 4.

Some of the characters need further development, but then again, I have a feeling that they've given up. One person I can think of is Michelle. It's always disappointing see Michelle's fate in the Tekken series. She started off as the heroine who was ready to get vengeance for her father's death and rescue her mother, who was kidnapped by Kazuya's men. Michelle also had a connection with Ogre since she contained the pendant that would awaken him. However, we do not hear about Michelle's mother's fate or Michelle's fate since she was kidnapped as well. She ends up being replaced by Julia who is now obsessed with trees and avoiding Ganryu. There is no closure and we rarely see Michelle other than in Tag Tournaments.

Line_HTX

I entertain it for a little bit, but ultimately I just learn character strategies and matchups way more than what goes on in the story because let's be honest, Tekken story is all over the place and all that.

I wasted a lot of time playing Scenario Campaign... LOL

:(

I do love Lili, Lars, and Alisa though.

I entertain it for a little bit, but ultimately I just learn character strategies and matchups way more than what goes on in the story because let's be honest, Tekken story is all over the place and all that.

I wasted a lot of time playing Scenario Campaign... LOL

:(

I do love Lili, Lars, and Alisa though.

You played that garbage? god bless you for making it out ok.

I will admit I found using Kuma though it amusing cause he had actual dialog.

0N9xyb.gif

Tekken did a nice prologue in 6. I've commented on it other threads. It'd be nice if they could capture that feeling again but with more of the cast and how they supplement the main story.You have a few loose ends pointed out in your OP. Yeah, we could add a few hundred more to that list. I honestly don't think Tekken is that bad of a story. It's not near as convoluted as some of gaming''s longer running series. It would be nice if we could get another recap and explanation of it all.

When it comes to Tekken lore/narrative I think the best thing they could do going forward is to write the series more evenly. I would like if they stop treating their side characters like they are stuck in narrative limbo. Most of the nonsensical stories in Tekken come about because they don't take those side characters serious enough and just throw completely trivial shit against the wall to see what sticks. Tekken suffers from only creating interesting narrative developments for main characters. Nina and Anna are still stuck doing the same shit they've been doing since Tekken 2. Tekken team wants them stuck in limbo. We need to push the stories and characters forward with new conflicts, disasters and resolutions. Sample idea: Anna should die at the hands of one of Nina's enemies, then Nina becomes a more interesting character.

NIce thread, but GAF is all about them combos boss.

Playsage

Paul was the strongest non-Mishima character until Tekken 6 decided to make him a cheating old man character wise. His main feats are fighting Kazuya before the Tournament to a tie, beating 2 times in a row Kuma I, having a score of 2 to 1 with Kuma II and being the winner of IFT3 beating Ogre.

Now, Kuma is considered a joke character, but he is another top tier character due to simple reasons:
- He is a fuckin' super intelligent bear
- He was trained in Karate by Heihachi

Also, Screw Tekken 6 story and Scenario Campaign

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tekken 4 really made me aware of the Mishima family's story in a way i wasn't before. Yeah i had seen the original anime movie before that...but T4 really made me feel for Jin as a displaced family member, and really made me hate Heihachi for what he did starting that cycle of hate.

Also..Xiao is best girl. end of discussion, seeing how that particular story ends in regards to her finally catching up with Jin is something i've been waiting 15 years to see...

Also i want to see Jun's return, and how that impacts the whole narrative. It has to take place in T7. Your not just going to give Jun a new voice and not have her return

Playsage

To answer your questions
-What is up with Steve Fox's scar?
He was a Mishima Zaibatsu's lab rat as a child. The scar is a result of experiments involving D. Gene or Ogre's cella and gaves him his natural superstrength

-Who is Steve Fox's father?
Tekken's story never addressed this question

-Was Jun really there in the Tekken 4 ending or was Jin hallucinating?
Should be only an hallucination projected by Jin to himself in Order to resist his murder intent

-Is Unknown really Jun or is that a trick?
In TTT2 she is, but they are not canon
-Is Unknown going to be more than just a Tag character?
I hope she stays a TTT only character

-What is the significance of the wolf behind Unknown?
Don't know the answer

-Why does Unknown have the same (but kinda backwards) tattoo as Jin?
Originally, she was supposed to be Jun's sister/relative that was possessed in a similiar way to how Kazuya is possessed by Devil (before Tekken 4, Devil powers were never referred as a genetic thing)

-What is the origin of Raven's X scar on his face? By "Word of God", Dragunov was the one to leave the scar on Raven

-What was the monster in Dragunov's T5 ending?
Don't remember at the moment. Devil Jin as He appears in his Tekken 5 ending?

-Will Asuka's father ever be a significant figure?
It was state that the women are the prominent characters in the Kazama family, so probably not.

-Will Jin ever finally hook up with Xiao?
I hope not

-Or...will he hook up with Asuka?
PLEASE NO! GOD, NO!

-Does Claudio have the Devil gene too?
I remember that his Power was state to be an anti-devil Power (He's supposed to be what Rose is to Bison in SF)

-What is Gigas?
We can only speculate at the moment... Maybe Armor King II murdered Marduk and then Marduk got rebuild Bryan-style?

-Will Jane ever make a significant appearance along with Jack?
Main story would be too busy if they start to get sideline characters into the Mishima conflict. Still I hope that the rest of the characters get decent storyline and motivations

-Is Jin truly evil?
Tekken 6 Scenario Campaign spoilers
Jin causes WWIII to fulfill a prophecy in which the originator of the D. Gene awakens. He then plans to sacrifice himself in order to destroy both the monster and the Devil Gene, but only the first part came to fruition and he is still alive. Long story short: He destroys millions of lives for his personal agenda but still ends up saving the world in the end
. Tekken 7's Jin still have the same demeanor.

-Is Jin even aware of the fact that he has an uncle?
He is.

+more, that's just all off the top of my head.

What do you think?

How is Heihachi so strong?

Mind-boggling.

He also survived being thrown down a mountain and being blown up lol.

Tekken 4 really made me aware of the Mishima family's story in a way i wasn't before. Yeah i had seen the original anime movie before that...but T4 really made me feel for Jin as a displaced family member, and really made me hate Heihachi for what he did starting that cycle of hate.

Believe me, Heihachi's luck will run out sooner or later (& will most likely run out in Tekken 7: Fated Retribution).

Also..Xiao is best girl. End of discussion, seeing how that particular story ends in regards to her finally catching up with Jin is something I've been waiting 15 years to see...

Me too. And does the OP realize that Jin & Asuka are off-limits because they're cousins?

Also I want to see Jun's return, and how that impacts the whole narrative. It has to take place in T7. You're not just going to give Jun a new voice and not have her return

If anything, she'll probably be a NPC character in the storyline if she ever comes back. She's not that popular of a character (at least not in the East).

I personally would like to see small 2 minute CG vignettes of each character's back story and a few visual depictions of what contributions they made in each tournament.

Kazuya did nothing wrong.

There wasn't any proof that Ogre killed Baek Doo San, nor have we ever heard of Wang Jin Rei being killed by him.
I cannot prove it but I am 90% sure that they were killed by Ogre and that part of the reason Hwoarang & Xiao entered koif tournament 3 was to avenge them. Then they were retconned to have been attacked by ogre but not killed by him just to make the tekken 5 roster bigger.
Me too. And does the OP realize that Jin & Asuka are off-limits because they're cousins?
not that I condone the practice, but some cultures do tolerate incestuous relationships between cousins, it's not as taboo as straight siblings. I don't know if Japanese culture is one of them, but even though this ending wasn't the one that happened, it could be something namco was just being kinky with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPcwWHUTm0

I cannot prove it but I am 90% sure that they were killed by Ogre and that part of the reason Hwoarang & Xiao entered koif tournament 3 was to avenge them. Then they were retconned to have been attacked by ogre but not killed by him just to make the tekken 5 roster bigger.

Ling Xiaoyu entered the 3rd tournament to hopefully win so that she can have her own amusement park.

There was never any mention of Wang Jin Rei being killed by Ogre whatsoever.

SephLuis

Believe me, Heihachi's luck will run out sooner or later (& will most likely run out in Tekken 7: Fated Retribution). .

They are sending Akuma to kill him. That's his luck running out lol

I really liked that Harada is trying to fit Akuma in the story. Or at least, it looks that way if we go by the trailer.

SkylineRKR

This story really did jump the shark.

Tekken story was always very good for a fighting game. There was Kazuya being thrown off a cliff by his father, him exacting revenge (and yes, him making a pact with the Devil was much better) and becoming even a more ruthless badguy in the sequel. I liked that shit. I could even fathom the god of fighting arc, in which Hei wanted Toshin's blood. Tekken 4 marked the canon revival of Kazuya, the story was still good.

After this it jumped the shark. Paul has been made a hack, Kazuya always loses, the sisters are stuck and the newcomers like Asuka don't add much. Tekken 6 story was awful all around and in T7 the Devil Gene is still alive and kicking anyway.

Ling Xiaoyu entered the 3rd tournament to hopefully win so that she can have her own amusement park.

There was never any mention of Wang Jin Rei being killed by Ogre whatsoever.
once again I know I cannot prove it but I'm pretty sure that part of the reason she joined was to avenge him. Even if there was such mention of it I don't know where it would be found.

Loona

I had more respect for Tekken's story in the earlier games - nowadays it seems that when in doubt, they take the silliest possible route since that'll at least be amusing.

Unknown is in Project X Zone 2 - with all the Mishimas in there as well, I wonder if the game references some obscure trivia about her that might become relevant in the series proper...

I had more respect for Tekken's story in the earlier games - nowadays it seems that when in doubt, they take the silliest possible route since that'll at least be amusing.

Unknown is in Project X Zone 2 - with all the Mishimas in there as well, I wonder if the game references some obscure trivia about her that might become relevant in the series proper...
With tekken 4 I feel like they brought back kazuya out of fan demand.

Then with tekken 5 I feel like they brought jinpachi coz they were running out of ideas

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
If nothing else, I hope they commit to this "final chapter of the Mishima saga" business and use the next title as a chance to have a fresh start and construct something a little cleaner.

Another thing I think they'd benefit from is simply to commit to story ideas and have a lot of them happen within the games rather than between the games. Too often the games are full of non canon "what if" endings and scenarios, and as a result they have very little story progression compared to how long they take to make and come out.

If need be, construct "story" arcade paths that follow the events of a character's participation in the tournament as they are deemed to have actually happened, even if they don't win. I think Tekken 6 sort of did something like that, but it was confusing (like, some characters only had 4 fights before getting their ending) and still mostly non-canon. Even if they don't win the tournament, there needs to be a build-up and a climactic boss fight, though not necessarily against some silly mystical creature.

It'd go a long way in giving characters more personalized, meaningful stories. And you wouldn't just shrug it off like usual because it would be canon.

Tekken 7 will be 75% joke endings

cordy

Banned
I'm pretty sure T7 will end with Heihachi dying and Kazuya taking over the Zaibatsu for good. It will be the end of the "Mishima Saga" but it won't be the end of the series. Jin vs Kazuya will take place as the Kazuya vs Heihachi conflict at this point. However, that won't strictly be it. Jin's son will probably be the main character given it'll be a timeskip but the kicker is this...

Jin's son will use Heihachi's old fighting style that way the legacy carries on.

Tekken 8 ladies and gentlemen.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm pretty sure T7 will end with Heihachi dying and Kazuya taking over the Zaibatsu for good. It will be the end of the "Mishima Saga" but it won't be the end of the series. Jin vs Kazuya will take place as the Kazuya vs Heihachi conflict at this point. However, that won't strictly be it. Jin's son will probably be the main character given it'll be a timeskip but the kicker is this...

Jin's son will use Heihachi's old fighting style that way the legacy carries on.

Tekken 8 ladies and gentlemen.

This sounds so believable, I wonder why I even bother to hope for story evolution anymore.

This thread reminded me of that Tekken CGI movie, is it any good?

If you can stomach Tekken: High School Days as the heart of the story, with a few action sequences here and there.

Jin is far too powerful. Like he's the anti Ryu he wins all the time.

One thing that Tekken does right is that battles actually happen. Like I think Christie beats Bruce at some point. It's on the wiki.

Top Bottom