• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq, Apologizes to Gamers and GAF

give them a break guys ...

i think lessons were learned.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/08/an-apology-and-a-note-on-hype/

Yesterday afternoon, we ran a post that generated an immense (and unexpected) amount of interest and speculation. Instead of defusing the prolonged PR tease that Nintendo has been escalating for the past year, we contributed to it. Instead of doing our readers a service, we added more confusion to the situation. The post was vague and left only room for disappointment which, inevitably, came at 12:01.

The worst part is, we understand that it was our hard-earned credibility that contributed to this excitement cocktail. There are gaming websites that trade in hype, and we've always prided ourselves on avoiding it. If we tell you that something is "major" and "worth waiting for," naturally you would expect it to be. As you've all no doubt noticed by now, news that IBM has begun shipping processors for Nintendo's Wii console, while potentially telling, is hardly the sort of megaton announcement we alluded to or fans were dreaming of. It became increasingly clear as the comments increased and the diggs increased, that we would reap what we had sown. Our credibility and reader trust are all we have, and we are taking measures immediately to ensure that we don't make this mistake again. We're very sorry for the error in judgment.

Sincerely,

Christopher Grant
Editor, Joystiq

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
...hard earned credibility?

koam

thumbsup~0.gif

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wait...thats what the news was?

Bwahahahahah! I'm glad I was at work.

Anyhow, I guess they learned their lesson?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Oh calm down. They made a mistake, they're admitting to it and saying sorry. And compared to most places, Joystiq does, overall, have a decent amount of credibility.

Cut them some slack, sheesh.

Mooreberg

metdroid said:
What a bunch of cockknockers. They only now realise that their news wasn't worth shit?

They knew it wasn't worth shit when they posted it. They got the hits though, so in the end, a winner is them.

Joeroll

"Unexpected" LOL. Are they new to this? If you say 'gaming related news revealed <insert date/time>' people will go crazy.

GhaleonEB

Wario64 said:
The guy in that video is some gaffer, forgot the details
gaffer shows up at school with fake but realistic looking gun, carries it around. Is shocked when police, press show up and arrest him. He leaves after explaining, giving the longest thumbs up in the history of the earth itself.

-Rogue5-

GhaleonEB said:
gaffer shows up at school with fake but realistic looking gun, carries it around. Is shocked when police, press show up and arrest him. He leaves after explaining, giving the longest thumbs up in the history of the earth itself.

Dude is from 'Mufkng' Calgary...

As for the announcement, it could have been worse - they could have said something hienous like, "<GameNameHere> will launch on Nov. 17th at $59.99 and there will be a collector's edition for $69.99"...

MegaTen

Banned
They thought they had credibility because they were able to get various game developers to pose for pictures while wearing an ugly Joystiq shirt. Regardless of this funny matter, they still arent as craptastic as Kotaku.

Top Bottom