• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V - Reviews Thread

J 0 E

Street-Fighter-V-620x350.jpg

I expect some negativity on single player content at launch, the game is perfect on the gameplay side IMO.

Opencritic
Metacritic

Gamespot

When I'm playing Street Fighter V with friends, I'm completely lost in the heat of the moment. Win or lose, I'm attracted to the thrill of its action-oriented combat system, which discourages overcautious behavior and keeps fights moving along. There's an excellent foundation here, and for now, I am going to keep playing until I can put the servers to the test on launch day.

IGN - 8/10

It’s hard to criticize something that seems like it was tailor-made for a wannabe competitive player like me, but I just can’t ignore how little Street Fighter 5 does for the average fighting game player. It sports a wonderful, diverse cast of characters, places a clear emphasis on strong fundamental play, it gives competitive players a great online experience, and it does it all while looking gorgeous. Strictly in terms of mechanics and competitive features, Street Fighter 5 is just about peerless, but it has quite a ways to go before it stacks up against other fighting games - including its own predecessor - in terms of overall content.

Destruction - 8/10

In many ways Street Fighter V is unfinished, but as a platform, it has strong legs. If Capcom sticks to its word, this could have just as long of a lifespan as IV, if not more.

EGM - 8/10

Street Fighter V paves the way for the future of Capcom’s legendary fighting game series—but it’s also a release that’s relying on near-future updates in order to feel like a finished product. Once they come, however, this should really be something special.

Shacknews - 7/10

Fortunately for Capcom, what is available now is a lot of fun. The overall fighting game mechanics feel incredible and a big step up from the Street Fighter IV generation. Even someone eternally in scrub tier, like myself, can feel like they can have a good time and eventually get better. That's why the aforementioned is so frustrating, because Street Fighter V feels like a genuinely great fighting game and it's hard not to want more.

Gamesbeat - 90/100

So, who should pick this up? Everyone that’s into fighting games. If you’re into Street Fighter, chances are you already have Street Fighter V preordered, and you’re here to see if I validate your opinions on the game (or you want to invalidate mine). If you’re going to stick with Street Fighter V, I think that’s a good decision. If you’re thinking of skipping it, you’re going to miss out on something enjoyable.

Gamesradar - 4.5/5

So Street Fighter 5 is brilliant with caveats, then. But it is, at its core, still brilliant. Being brutally honest, your mileage with it – during the early phase of its life at least – will vary greatly depending on the availability of fight-ready friends in your immediate vicinity. Its pleasures are great and many, but for all of their eagerness to please, you’ll really need to explore them shoulder-to-shoulder with others. That, of course, is why the heart of any great fighting game truly beats, and Street Fighter 5’s beats as hard and loud as that of any you care to mention. As such, it would be a real shame if the curious new players it has so much to offer were turned off by its limited early content.

Giant Bomb
Playstation Universe
Lazy Gamer - 8.4/10
Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Videogamer
Examiner - 6/10
Next Gen Gaming - 8/10
Forbes - 8/10
God is Geek - 9/10
Eventhubs
Press Start Australia
PC Gamer
The Sixth Axis - 9/10
Jeuxvideo - 17/20
USgamer - 3.5/5
Gaming Bolt - 8/10
Eurogamer
The Jimquisition - 7/10
Game Informer - 73/100
Kotaku
Polygon - 6.5/10
Gamespot - 7/10
PC Gamer - 81/100

McDougles

I wrote the review for GameSided. No score until online play opens for all, but I loved what I saw so far.

GameSided said:
For the meantime, there is not much to dislike about Street Fighter V. Whether it is a robust roster, an impressive structure for an online community or a deep combat system that is easy to learn, hard to master, the game does an impeccable job of drawing you in and keeping you entertained. An unfortunate oversight in punishing ragequitters might derail the online experience, but I will wait for an engaged, included public to integrate before I draw any conclusions.

Street Fighter V is built for the long haul, yet excellence permeates in its present state. Capcom should be proud of what they've accomplished, yet remind themselves there is still much more work to be done.

Our reviewer really liked it. Tons of in-depth gameplay information in our write-up for anyone interested:

Street Fighter V's gameplay sits with the best that gaming has to offer. The characters are truly distinct, the presentation first rate, and the netcode is utterly sublime. A lack of single player modes at launch dulls the sheen somewhat, and is the only element preventing the title from achieving true greatness. However, with the engrossing Capcom Fighters Network, the game's set up as a fantastic online playground in which to research techniques, stalk idols, view friends' failures, or simply sit back and watch – all the while waiting for your next challenger in this deep, enthralling fighter.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/street_fighter_v

If released in June I'd say it deserves a 8-9/10.

This current kinda half baked release should be getting 4-5/10 tbh.

I'm really enjoying the game though

Nemesis_

Cross posting

Some others have popped up too:

Neither seemed to give scores

EventHubs - http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/feb/15/street-fighter-5-review/

Street Fighter 5 provides fun, frantic, fighting action for players of all skill levels. V-moves give newcomers an easy way to perform strong attacks, while leaving much room for exploration from hardcore fans.

The game feels fairly limited in single player features at the moment, but we will be seeing much more content next month and in the future, all of which will come free of charge.

Street Fighter 5 is a strong successor to Ultra Street Fighter 4 and one that is a very welcome addition to the franchise.

Press Start Australia - http://press-start.com.au/2016/02/16/street-fighter-v-review/

Street Fighter V is one of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to definitively give a grade to. Which is why, at this point, I’m not going to. Sony’s very own Splatoon – Street Fighter V establishes a very solid ground on which greatness can be built. The gameplay mechanics and the core combat is top notch – it’s accessible by newcomers more than ever before and at the same time has the depth that makes it so tournament friendly with higher level players. But there’s clearly stuff missing that probably could have been here.

It’s true that some Street Fighter fans probably think that nobody cares about single player content or even assistive modes like trials and challenges, and the debate about their worth is easily outside of the scope of this review in progress. But their absence is especially felt here especially when compared to its contemporaries. Street Fighter V is an astoundingly solid fighter, but it’s hard to definitively judge it until it’s expanded to what it should have been at launch. Props to Capcom for releasing early for the tourney crowds, however, it’s a bold move that’ll be interesting to see play out in the coming weeks.

Playstation Universe - http://www.psu.com/preview/29402/Street-Fighter-V-PS4-Review-in-Progress

A good move in the current climate as Capcom should support one Street Fighter consistently for the foreseeable future, looking to make it better and better with each update. The downside with this model is that the base game feels a little light right now, but with much of the updates coming being free, it’s a little easier to stomach. A lot now depends on how good the online component is out in the wild, but so far, Street Fighter could well be back on form.

ps3ud0

I wonder if we will get re-reviews/reflection once the non-launch features are out. Especially the 'story' mode...

Good to see the lack of penalisation quitting online games being mentioned

ps3ud0 8)

Cleve

Is there summary of what is missing from single player?

The biggest thing is this time around they promised a more in-depth cinematic story mode like the more recent Netherrealm games. They pushed that back, and while it won't matter to the hardcore vs. crowd, that's been a pretty big factor in the casual view of the NR games.

McDougles

I'd put money on that being patched after the community reaches boiling point.

I would bet, but when will that be? Can't review what isn't there.

I wonder if we will get re-reviews/reflection once the non-launch features are out. Especially the 'story' mode...

I'm actually going to be announcing additional types of game reviews for our site later today that take this into account. "Unified" games that launch with one title/gen in mind with post-launch content updates are becoming more frequent, and should be impossible to ignore.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

Good to see the lack of penalisation quitting online games being mentioned

ps3ud0 8)

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the big name sites are going to adjust their score once the other modes come out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im expecting salt if this scores higher than people want it too.

everyone in the OT is predicting 7s so no

lack of single player content will hurt reviews (rightfully so) but at the same time its one of those games where reviews dont really matter, and if they do to someone, that someone probably wasnt going to be playing very much anyway

Wallach

Haha I'm not very familiar with fighting games, sorry.

I was looking into jumping in with SFV but I would only play single player. The OP's comment made me a little cautious.

If you only play single player I'd hold off until either March if not June. More single player content is already in the works but it isn't the focus for launch.

Neoxon

So it's about what I expected so far. Mid-to-high 70's & low 80's. Seems fair since this game is being poised to be the Splatoon of fighting games in terms of features being added over time.

Well reviews arent looking exactly great. Not terrible mind you just not super high. The lack of content at launch will hurt it a bit

I expect most reviews to say it's good at launch but the planned updates / DLC will make it even better and more complete down the line, pretty much like every version of Street Fighter that comes out.

everyone in the OT is predicting 7s so no

lack of single player content will hurt reviews (rightfully so) but at the same time its one of those games where reviews dont really matter, and if they do to someone, that someone probably wasnt going to be playing very much anyway
Yup thats what i mean tho. Everyone in the ot was getting it regardless of score, as long as the gameplay is solid that's what sf crowd cares about. Than you already got someone in the thread saying it deserves a five tho lol

I understand that people find it lacks single player content but wasn't that the case for all street fighter games anyway ? I don't understand why people would lower review scores for that
It would be like complaining about the online multiplayer aspect of a nintendo solo game

Top Bottom