• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon World -Next Order- |Import OT| Welcome Back to Digimon World

boxart_zpso38y4yak.jpg

Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Release Date: March 17th, 2016
System: Playstation Vita
Genre: Monster raising RPG
Theme Song: Accentier by Eir Aoi

btn_intro_off_zpsfii1zkzx.jpg

"Greetings. Or should I say, "Welcome Back"?"

Digimon World -Next Order- is the latest entry in the Digimon World series, featuring a story that will be familiar to fans of the original Digimon World, as well as bringing back the staple game play elements of the franchise, while still breaking new ground. The protagonist, a senior in high school, takes a look at their old Digimon virtual pet one day, only to find themselves sucked into a virtual world, and to see their old partner Digimon standing before them. But quickly they find themselves facing a Mugendramon and in an almost hopeless battle. Until a miracle happens...

Heading to the Digital World, the player will team up with a variety of other characters, helping to rebuild a town, while also dealing with the Mugendramon crisis facing the world, and eventually finding their way home again.

With over 200 Digimon available, including Digimon from the Frontier and Xros Wars series that haven't been traditionally attainable in games, many connections to the original Digimon World title, and a brand new story, Digimon World -Next Order- has something for Digimon fans of all shapes and sizes.

Our World Has Evolved

btn_system_off_zps2islykqk.jpg

Digimon World -Next Order- is a true successor to the original Digimon World, as well as Re:Digitize for the PSP and 3DS. The game play is modeled after the original virtual pets. Players will have to care for their Digimon from birth to death (whether it be from dying in battle or of old age). Digimon will need to be fed when they are hungry, taken to the toilet when they need to go to the bathroom, rest when they are tired, and much more. The player will also have the ability to praise or scold their Digimon at any time, which will effect their happiness and discipline. A happier Digimon might live longer and be more cheerful, but it might not listen to the player as much as a more disciplined Digimon. Special training gyms allow the player to fully focus their Digimon's training on specific stats.

In battle, the player takes the role of an observer, as their Digimon attack on their own. But the player still has a number of battle options available, such as giving more specific orders to their Digimon at times (whether they listen or not will depend), using items, and more. The game is fully developed around the idea of putting the player in the shoes of a Digimon Tamer.

Unlike in the Digimon Story series where the player can choose to evolve and devolve their Digimon at will, in Digimon World titles the Digimon evolve automatically once they've met the prerequisites for one of their evolutions. These conditions can include meeting minimum stat requirements in the various stats, having a certain weight (increased by the type of food a Digimon eats), having fought a certain number of battles, the Digmon's happiness and discipline, as well as how many care mistakes the player has made with the Digimon (for example, failing to feed the Digimon or letting it poop on the ground). Digimon must usually reach a minimum age before they will evolve. All Digimon also have natural lifespans (increased by happiness and each time they evolve), and when the end of that lifespan is reached, the Digimon will die.

New to Next Order, you now get two partner Digimon at once, opening up new battle and evolution options throughout the game. Although this also means twice as much stuff to keep track of.

Digimon World -Next Order- gives the player access to a large world, divided into a number of zones, which they can freely explore, with a full day/night cycle running at the same time. Additionally, throughout the game the player will be able to recruit various Digimon to join the central town of the game. Once recruited, these Digimon will expand the town, open up new shops, enhance existing areas, and more, making the world feel like it's evolving as the player progresses.

Was the world waiting for you, or were you waiting for the world?

btn_chara_on_zps46hafhul.jpg

The Main Character: Takuto (male)/Shiki (female)
img_hero_zps0xzr5zyg.png
img_heroine_zpssp1c2wzq.png

Third-year high school student studying for exams, having finished their club activities. When they were little, they had an interest in the Digital Monster game. In their fifth year in elementary school, they were the runner-up in the national championships.

Voiced by: Yuta Kasuya (male), Saki Fujita (female)

Himari Oofuchi and Rikka(Plotmon)
himari_zps0ka2ruky.png

"Well, there's no use thinking about it. Let's go, Rikka."

A third year student in the same high school as the protagonist.

A stable and strong-willed person, although it appears that the moment she gets an idea into her head she immediately goes into action without a second thought, she's actually the type to suppress her own feelings and work hard for someone else.

She wandered into the digital world at the same time as the protagonist and Kouta.

Occasionally, you see her making a tormented expression...

Her partner is Rikka (Plotmon).

Rikka (Plotmon)

Himari's partner. She has a spoiled personality, and always sticks close to Himari.

Voiced by: Nao Toyama (Himari) and Yuka Tokumitsu (Rikka)

Kouta Hirose and Yukimura(Guilmon)
img_chara_zpsdpyklqdw.png

"I'm Hirose Kouta. This's my partner, Yukimura."

A third year student in the same high school as the player. What you'd call a "nice guy" effective at reading the mood. While not unpopular, to no small extent you could say that he's unsatisfied. Like the player, he wanders the digital world. His partner is Yukimura (Guilmon).

Yukimura (Guilmon)
Kouta's partner. Polite to everyone, he has a stoic personality.

Voiced by: KENN (Kouta) and Yusei Oda (Yukimura)

Luche
luche_zps5w9pfgal.png

"I'll buzz buzz my best!"
A girl who somehow lost her member. She's always carrying around a stuffed doll that resembles a Numemon.

Voiced by: Sora Amamiya

???(Totally the Digimon World 1 protagonist)
dw1pro_zpslgylkabx.png

"...Failed again, huh."
Wrapped entirely in riddles, a man with a piercing gaze that wears a black knitwear cap. The Digitama he holds in his hand has some meaning...
Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura

Shoma Tsuzuki
shouma_zps80gmsftg.png

Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto

Jijimon
img_digimon_zps9s4ifoeb.png

The elder of a certain village. A very serious Digimon with a strong sense of responsibility, but also a little senile. To call back the Digimon that Mugendramon attacked and scattered, he's working on the reconstruction of the town.

Voiced by: Bin Shimada

Full credits go to Tamer Union for the translations of all character profiles

Frequently Asked Questions
So is this Cyber Sleuth 2?
No, Cyber Sleuth was a Digimon Story game (traditional story driven RPG with turn based combat). Next Order is a Digimon World game, with a completely different type of battle system and game play. Another game like Cyber Sleuth will likely happen in the future, but it's best to think of these as two different series.

Still, fans of Cyber Sleuth will probably be happy to know that Mirei will return in this game, and that Rina will be available as part of a DLC story coming later.

Why isn't there a PS4 version?
Because Cyber Sleuth didn't have one in Japan, either. A western release would likely add a PS4 port. For now, this game is a Vita exclusive, so let's keep that the focus for this thread.

What Digimon are in this game?
Here's a list from Wikimon. There are a total of 217 going by this list, slightly less than the total from Cyber Sleuth, with a number of additional recolors added.

Why are so many Digimon from Cyber Sleuth not in this? And why are there so many recolors?
One important thing to remember is that being a Digimon World game, they need a much higher number of animations for each Digimon compared to Cyber Sleuth, needing various animations for being praised, scolded, acting defiantly, wandering around (rather than just following the player in a line), being tired, etc. So while the Cyber Sleuth models could help, they still needed to create a lot of new animations for each Digimon.

Given that, it's perhaps understandable (if still unfortunate) that some Digimon were left on the cutting room floor, and it's also understandable why there are more recolors included compared to Cyber Sleuth. Maybe if we're lucky there will be an enhanced edition with more Digimon added (as Re:Digitize got with Decode), or additional Digimon will be added post-launch like with Cyber Sleuth. Or both.

This game seems lame. Why isn't a turn based RPG?
Digimon World is sort of a peculiar game, and this isn't an unusual reaction to have, but I think the game is really worth giving a shot to. While it's a very unique game, this creates a really different playing experience, and you may find that you wind up really enjoying the style of game even if you didn't think you would. There's really nothing else quite like Digimon World out there, and there are few feelings like having raised a really strong partner in it.

Are there any bonuses for this game like Cyber Sleuth's extra Digimon and themes?
There are indeed. First print run copies of Next Order come up with:
Two exclusive Vita themes
A digital copy of a remastered soundtrack from Digimon World 1
Special Agumon and Gabumon eggs that hatch versions of Agumon and Gabumon voiced by their original voice actresses (Chika Sakamoto and Mayumi Yamaguchi). Once these special Digimon die, they're gone for good.
Five special evolution items that allow the player to evolve Omegamon, Imperialdramon Fighter Mode, Dukemon, Susanoomon, and ShineGreymon from any Perfect level Digimon (Ultimate level in Omegamon's case). (Note: These aren't exclusive Digimon; the items are just to allow you to evolve those Digimon on the spot without meeting any requirements)
A special set of training items

Looking forward to impressions! When Digimon World originally came out, the micro managanment part turned me off to it, since I was around 9 or so at the time. Since I finally got the Digimon game I always wanted in Cyber Sleuth, my interest in this has actually grown.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Special Agumon and Gabumon eggs that hatch versions of Agumon and Gabumon voiced by their original voice actresses (Chika Sakamoto and Mayumi Yamaguchi)

That has to be one of the best pre-order bonus ever.

Anyway cool OT, won't be joining in as I am hoping that the game will get localized but I will check in to read the comments from the people playing the game.

I should also dig out my PS1 copy of Digimon World and actually finish the game...along with starting Cyber Sleuth. ¬_¬;

kubus

I kinda want to import this but I'm still playing Cyber Sleuth and I don't know if I'll like this kinda game. The original Digimon World was one of my favorite games despite never getting far. I really loved the idea of raising my own Digimon, but the only thing my Koromon kept evolving into was Numemon because I didn't understand the gameplay. I don't think I got past the first battle...

This might be a nice way to practice my Japanese a little. I'm also halfway in the original Adventure anime and combined with Cyber Sleuth I'm having a blast "reliving" my childhood :p.

I think I'll wait for a few impressions here before I import. (That first print edition sounds tempting though...)

AlanOC91

If this is anything like Digimon World 1 then I'll have to buy a Vita.

It's my absolute favorite PS1 game of all time. 100%'ed it about two years ago when I replayed it again.

I've been wanting a proper successor to it for years and years. Digimon Worlds 2 onwards are such different games.

Aniel

Neo Member
Nice OT, very hyped for this game, the timing of this game just sucks because of exams lol.
Maybe you can add to the OT that the game has a theme song sung by Aoi Eir called "Accentier". The last time a Digimon game had a theme song was with Digimon World 3 and Aoi Eir seems quite popular so maybe it's useful information.
Still, hope my copy comes in the next few days.

It's my absolute favorite PS1 game of all time. 100%'ed it about two years ago when I replayed it again.

I've been wanting a proper successor to it for years and years. Digimon Worlds 2 onwards are such different games.

It's very simillar to DW1, they just changed/upgraded the battle system a bit to make it more tactical. And instead of just recruiting Digimon, you also collect ressources to build/upgrade your town and its appearance changes drastically. Of course you still recruit Digimon.

TreIII

...Darn. Waited too late, so the First Print bonus isn't on Amazon any longer.

Guess I'll wait for impressions before I decide to click on this someplace else or not.

sensui-tomo

You'll want a vita, best to think of this as the true digimon world 2 game.( there is a psp game that was fan translated called digimon world re:digitized which is worth it if you loved digimon world 1)

Kyari

So if re:Digitize is secretly digimon world 2, is this in the same vein as that and the original digimon world?

sensui-tomo

So if re:Digitize is secretly digimon world 2, is this in the same vein as that and the original digimon world?
Since this has protag from digimon world, I'd call this the true sequel and re:digitized a test run to see if people liked the game series still.

I preordered this as soon as it went up. I loved Re:digitize so I'm pretty excited for this entry for the series.
Also including preorder bonus themes makes this a must have, Cyber Sleuth's were pretty neat.
(shame it won't ship till DOAX3 comes out since combined order)

I'm assuming as of now, Bamco hasn't announced any localization effort for this game? Anyone know how well Cyber Sleuth did in America? I heard it was good, but I'm hoping it was enough for more Digimon in the future to come over.

kubus

...Darn. Waited too late, so the First Print bonus isn't on Amazon any longer.

Guess I'll wait for impressions before I decide to click on this someplace else or not.
The amazon exclusive pre-order bonus is sold out (with the five evolution items) but I think you can still get the first print with them!

I can't see this not getting localized given how Cyber Sleuth did. Guess I'll have to wait and see if they bring the Vita version too though.

Because a game like this on a portable is an instant buy for me. I really loved the first Digimon World game.

TreIII

The amazon exclusive pre-order bonus is sold out (with the five evolution items) but I think you can still get the first print with them!

Hmm. Not shipping to my Zip Code. Which is weird 'cuz I could've sworn the Amazon Exclusive was able to be shipped when I was testing last week...

kubus

Hmm. Not shipping to my Zip Code. Which is weird 'cuz I could've sworn the Amazon Exclusive was able to be shipped when I was testing last week...
Yeah it won't ship to my country either. That would suck if global shipping was only available for the Amazon pre-order bonus edition :/.

You could wait until the game is officially released and in stock. Perhaps it'll have global shipping again then.

I can't see this not getting localized given how Cyber Sleuth did. Guess I'll have to wait and see if they bring the Vita version too though.

If it runs off the Cyber Sleuth hype, vita will be digital only and also maybe a western exclusive PS4 release.
(it will be hype either way)

I'm hoping those who only played Cyber Sleuth don't go into Next Order thinking it's the same game-play wise, only to be upset it plays different....

J-Skee

Wait, this has a callback to the original Digimon World? Ummm, that kind of has me interested now. Any word on localization?

Aniel

Neo Member
more than a callback, if we call having the same character come back.
%2524_12.JPG

Not only that, you could say that the plot itself is a continuation of the original Digimon World (even though it didn't have much story to begin with). I don't know if I should spoilertag it but I'll do it just in case lol.

Digimon World 1 "SPOILERS":
After beating the game, you can refight Machinedramon/Mugendramon at the Back Dimension. Whenever you defeat him it turns out that it was just a Digimon that turned into it, not the real one. We saw the same thing happening to the Digimon in Next Order like the first Machinedramon you meet turns to Tokomon after being defeated.

I was originally planning on importing this, but I've been busy and now have a backlog to get through. -.-

Someone better take a lot of screenshots!

I'm assuming as of now, Bamco hasn't announced any localization effort for this game? Anyone know how well Cyber Sleuth did in America? I heard it was good, but I'm hoping it was enough for more Digimon in the future to come over.

CS sold ~64,000 on physical PS4 in America. Bamco wanted all of the West to match Japanese sales (~120,000 in 10 weeks) to consider future localization.

Unless Vita and the rest of the West sales are weak/non-existent, it's looking good.

Nice OT!

My copy just shipped, I hope I get it by the end of the week.

Yeah, my copy just shipped, too. It might take a little time for it to get here, but hopefully I can be playing it by the start of next week.

That has to be one of the best pre-order bonus ever.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I originally forgot to mention in the OP, but once these special Digimon die, they're gone for good. So using them and having them eventually die will probably be extra heartbreaking.

Nice OT, very hyped for this game, the timing of this game just sucks because of exams lol.
Maybe you can add to the OT that the game has a theme song sung by Aoi Eir called "Accentier". The last time a Digimon game had a theme song was with Digimon World 3 and Aoi Eir seems quite popular so maybe it's useful information.

I just went and added that. It just sort of slipped my mind as something to mention when I was originally writing the post up.

Syntsui

Special Agumon and Gabumon eggs that hatch versions of Agumon and Gabumon voiced by their original voice actresses (Chika Sakamoto and Mayumi Yamaguchi). Once these special Digimon die, they're gone for good.

Why even bother? This is pure bullshit, just like the special Agumon that you could never evolve in CS. What a fucking asnine decision, no one will care to use them this way.

Stuart444

I was originally planning on importing this, but I've been busy and now have a backlog to get through. -.-

Someone better take a lot of screenshots!

CS sold ~64,000 on physical PS4 in America. Bamco wanted all of the West to match Japanese sales (~120,000 in 10 weeks) to consider future localization.

Unless Vita and the rest of the West sales are weak/non-existent, it's looking good.

It did that well physical? Digital it was looking good both Vita and PS4 wise.

I'm positive we'll be seeing Next Order localized then! I just hope some of the negative first impressions from other threads don't affect it too much when it does get localized.

Might check out some streams and such tomorrow. Or youtube, plenty of footage will be out in the open soon from actual players :)

The ability to pick your starters is one of my favourite things though. I love Agu/Gabumon but I was afraid we'd be stuck with them as our starters by default.

not sure if you wanted a video link of the song too (official) http://www.vevo.com/watch/eir-aoi/Accentier/JPU981600730 I think the youtube version is region locked as i couldnt watch it .

I bought the Single. It's awesome <3

not sure if you wanted a video link of the song too (official) http://www.vevo.com/watch/eir-aoi/Accentier/JPU981600730 I think the youtube version is region locked as i couldnt watch it .

Added. Thanks for the link.

Why even bother? This is pure bullshit, just like the special Agumon that you could never evolve in CS. What a fucking asnine decision, no one will care to use them this way.

Well you can at least evolve these ones. I think these sound a little more fair since you can evolve them all the way up to Omegamon, and the voice acting will add a lot to the experience.

sensui-tomo

They're voiced if they continue their normal pathline, plus digimon die of age anyways as that's how digimon world works.

Syntsui

Added. Thanks for the link.

Well you can at least evolve these ones. I think these sound a little more fair since you can evolve them all the way up to Omegamon, and the voice acting will add a lot to the experience.

They will eventually die and it will be over. Again, why even bother? Would it be too much to give an option to change the language on settings? I mean, they did the voice acting... I can't even proccess this.

i'm still excited and I'm sure I will have my share of fun, but these decisions are just pathetic.

sensui-tomo

They will eventually die and it will be over. Again, why even bother? Would it be too much to give an option to change the language on settings? I mean, they did the voice acting... I can't even proccess this.

i'm still excited and I'm sure I will have my share of fun, but these decisions are just pathetic.

there is probably an option to get them again as special digieggs like agumon and agumon(sp) otherwise... only way to reuse them will be the arena/ vs

This looks amazing. I just beat Cyber Sleuth a couple days ago and am in the middle of watching the second chapter of Digimon Tri. I'm in full Digi-fever, and so I really hope this gets localized with the success of Cyber Sleuth. pls.

TreIII

Are there anything like "DigiMemories" from Re:Digitize in this game?

Maybe it would soften the blow of losing them Digimon for good...

Stuart444

yup just found that video shortly after posting. looks like 7 starters

Far better than previous world-style.

DW1: Agu/Gabumon based on questions at the start

DW:Redigitize: Agumon (same for DeCode I assume)

DWNO: Choose your starter!

Will make the beginning a lot more fun I think. in DW1, I tend to just waste a good portion of the start just so I can get a different Digimon for example. (usually recruit one or two and then rest/train until death)

sensui-tomo

Are there anything like "DigiMemories" from Re:Digitize in this game?

Maybe it would soften the blow of losing them Digimon for good...

i think it might be a code that just makes all future agumon/gabumon talk instead of using their digimon crys(like pokemon sounds)
Far better than previous world-style.

DW1: Agu/Gabumon based on questions at the start

DW:Redigitize: Agumon (same for DeCode I assume)

DWNO: Choose your starter!

Will make the beginning a lot more fun I think. in DW1, I tend to just waste a good portion of the start just so I can get a different Digimon for example. (usually recruit one or two and then rest/train until death)

its all good.. AS LONG AS GREYMON DOESNT KILL THE GAME AGAIN... christ talk about the worst game breaking issue of digimon world 1... its that guy if your digimon died and you just start with a baby.

Aniel

Neo Member
i think it might be a code that just makes all future agumon/gabumon talk instead of using their digimon crys(like pokemon sounds)

its all good.. AS LONG AS GREYMON DOESNT KILL THE GAME AGAIN... christ talk about the worst game breaking issue of digimon world 1... its that guy if your digimon died and you just start with a baby.

We have seen Greymon in the stream, this time he's just sitting in the desert and wants you to go collect some items or something like that. So don't worry, I think they learned that it was a bad idea to just let him show up when you aren't prepared.

Stuart444

You can get around that, at least in the UK version.

As a baby, you shouldn't get stopped. Only if you're a rookie or above (or Champion and above, I forget).

So just don't go back into Jijimon's hut until you're strong enough XD.

(though now when I do it, I just save at the digivice in the hut before I talk to Jijimon since once he says "you have 15 PP, etc" then "GREYMON WANT STREET SIGN"! :p)

It was certainly frustrating, he was so so tough for so early in the game. Airdramon was easier but that was at about 45PP lol.

We have seen Greymon in the stream, this time he's just sitting in the desert and wants you to go collect some items or something like that. So don't worry, I think they learned that it was a bad idea to just let him show up when you aren't prepared.

Yeah, think we have to collect something from the volcano area if it's what I'm thinking of. Think we saw that in a vid. (maybe the one above I posted but I don't have time to check lol)

Top Bottom