• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

your DREAM roster for a PlayStation-Smash reboot, who the developer should be, & more

I apologize if this topic has been done to death, but the topic itself has been itching for a while now, so this thread is going to be about EVERYTHING you want in a PlayStation-Smash reboot, it's gonna be an OP with a lot of pictures so I'll put the whole damn thing in a quote. Let's get to it. tl;dr at the bottom.

Here's the thing: In theory, and in concept, PlayStation Allstars Battle Royale was a great idea. In practice (the actual game), there was a lot, a lot, a lot wrong with it. But, the game still sold over a million copies. We could call that a flop or whatever, but we can think of a ton of different reasons as to why it "flopped".

But a million PlayStation fans thought it was a good idea too. Yoshida says "never say never" about it, and I agree. The PlayStation brand definitely deserves another crack at a PlayStation-Smash type game but this thread is going to serve 4 different purposes, from most to least (but all) important: your DREAM roster, the fucking title, the developer, and the gameplay.

1. My dream roster. Now, everybody knows Crash & Spyro should be in there, there's really nothing else to be said, so let's get these fuckers out of the way

Zooks2.png
latest

For me, Jin Kazama's gotta be there. Heihachi was in the original but Jin is arguably the main character and the most popular. Put him in the game.

Kazuma Kiryu needs to be there as well. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care that he's also on Nintendo; Kazuma Kiryu is a PlayStation mascot.
Yakuza6face.gif

MetalGreymon. Although he may not be the most iconic Digimon, there needs to be a Digimon in the game and it has to be MetalGreymon. Lemme explain why...DIgimon itself has had a respectable lineup of video games, and for a crossover fighting game like this, a representative from Digimon needs to be there. Obviously there were none in Smash 4, which was kind of understandable because perhaps as far as video games go, Digimon may be more recognized with PlayStation, and speaking of which, the Digimon World series originated on the original PlayStation. MetalGreymon was on the cover, and he was on the cover of the second one, and the character himself is pretty important in the original anime. I say put him in, and take Big Daddy out; no hate to Bioshock but it really did not make sense, as a PlayStation-mascot-crossover-fighting game, for Big Daddy to be in it. Bioshock originated on 360, so if Xbox were to ever have a game like this, that's where Big Daddy belongs. But a PlayStation-Smash game is NOT true to its name without MetalGreymon.

umm, I haven't played any Valkyria games, but they do look like my types of games. For the most part they are also PlayStation exclusives, and I think in one of the Azure threads I had a conversation with a gaffer, and they stated that Selvaria Bles would be the best candidate, and she seems to be the most popular character. And she's been in all the games.

never got to play Heavy Rain either but I think it is a pretty compelling PlayStation game, Madison Paige I think was the main character and she had a gun & knew how to fight yeah? I think Heavy Rain deserves representation too.

Ellie and Joel. Right now the Last of Us is probably considered the best PlayStation game of all time. Maybe just one of them.
the_last_of_us_ellie_and_joel_gif_3_by_tokimemota-d6bu6e8.gif

The fucking Hunter from Bloodborne! This game is synonymous with Ps4 and is its most critically acclaimed game to date! Excluding him would be a massive disservice!

latest
hunter.png

so, that about does it for all the characters I want included in this game off the top of my head. Now it's your turn.

2.The title was one of the worst things about the game, literally. There's a reason I'm calling this a reboot instead of a sequel. Unlike what Psyonix did with Rocket League, Sony needs to give another crack at this whole entire idea, and I agree with Machinima's review that the game constantly reminded of you of how "PlayStation" it was. That was overly sentimental and rubbed me the wrong way. The title I would give the reboot: Bloodline Rebellion Arena. B.R.A. Some of you might remember that title and it'll play into part 3, who I think the developer should be.

3. The developer should be Bandai Namco.

splash_logo.gif

There might be a massive misunderstanding here but just hear me out - I'm not suggesting them just because they were the devs behind Smash 4, although that can be used as backup too since they obviously did a good job with it. I'm suggesting them, because they made Tekken, a fighting game that has been closely associated with the PlayStation brand since the brand was ever there. Sony and BN probably have a good relationship the same way they have it with Nintendo. And it's not just about that; I think there should be more Tekken characters than just Jin, I think the classic characters like Nina, Eddy, Xiao, maybe even Ogre should be included there, just like how Smash incorporates multiple characters from the same franchise into the crossover fighting games, it would be cool if the PlayStation crossover did the same, and that's also where I got the idea from the title. Pokken, is a play on Tekken and Pokemon, also developed by BN of course, and Bloodline Rebellion Arena is an extension of the subtitle given to the arcade version of Tekken 6. The title itself I think is befitting to what the game is and also reflects upon how Tekken has been with PlayStation for so long.
t6brlogo.jpg

4. The gameplay...there was this thread from last summer talking about the game being a shameless Smash clone...I say go for it. Others have suggested it to be different by being fully 3D, I guess that would be cool. But the whole, "superpower kills" thing was fucked, and imbalanced, in my opinion. I'm not saying superpower should be taken out, but that kills shouldn't happen just because of them. That needs to be changed somehow.

Also, I haven't played the story mode of Smash games if there are any but I think this game should also have a more developed story mode.

tl;dr

1. What is your DREAM roster for a PSASBR reboot? Would you exclude characters that were in the original?
2. If you hated the title, what would you give as an appropriate one to this hypothetical followup game?
3. Who should develop it?
4. What should the gameplay be like?
5. What is ANYTHING & EVERYTHING else you want in this product?

What do you think?

wapplew

For Sony mascot games, I want a Kart racer by evolution Sumodigital, a PowerStone like 3D action brawler by SSM, a Overwatch like hero TPS by ND.

ash_ag

I'll just leave this here. :p

All right.

Let me provide you guys with some hard science. For a PlayStation All-Stars game to be successful, it is required that its characters are picked in a way that makes all aspects of PlayStation are represented in a subtle and delicate way. That means characters from different sides of the world, different schools of design, and different eras. A core team of 12 first-party fighters has to be established before work is continued incrementally. Let me provide you with a graphic meant to convey these ideas. Some of the original PSASBR's characters are used as a starting point.

As you can see, a diverse range of characters is already there. Different shapes, different possible powers, different sources, and different eras of origin. Evidently, mascot characters from Japan dominated the early PlayStation days, with western studios starting their more serious efforts (often involving realism) during the PS2 days and peaking with the PS3-established Uncharted. Kat represents the newfound prolificness of Japan Studio, while Sackboy shows the more experimental part of Sony.

You might say "ash_ag, these are 10 characters, not 12!", and you'll be right. That's where 'Character A' and 'Character B' come in. These are characters that were missing from the original PSASBR, and they need to fill a very specific role. Since PlayStation as a platform stands in the line between East and West, 'Character A' needs to be one with a universal design appeal, albeit originating from Japan. Meanwhile, 'Character B' needs to be a predominantly eastern outlier to balance things out. The choice regarding realism explains itself -- since Japanese choices so far are mostly mascot-esque characters, the new entries are placed accordingly.

Without further ado, for 'Character A', the choice is simple:

Ico not only fulfills all previously mentioned requirements, but also comes from the previously unrepresented Team Ico, standing for Japan Studio's PlayStation 2 era efforts. He has a distinct look on him, but isn't too anime. Unlike other characters from the realistic side, he's also rather young.

As for 'Character B':

More realistic than Nathan Drake and Kratos, more Japanese than Kat and Toro. There is no better choice than the Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R.

---

These 12 characters would make the perfect starting roster for the game. Whoever develops the game simply needs to build on that. I'm sure the game will find its Fire Emblem lords in the several Cole-based fighters, and there still are third-party characters not already picked by Nintendo.

By the way, don't bother questioning my logic. I recently got my PhD on Sakuraiology, and my thesis "An Outsider on Nintendo's Party: Why Snake Matters" is getting published on the prestigious scientific magazine 'Great Fray Clash Siblings'. I'm currently working on my next paper named "Getting into Sakurai's Head: An Analysis on Agumon's Smash Viability".

The above post's end-goal is satire. Please don't take it too seriously. :p

Not

Banned
There're no western buff male game protagonist stereotype cliches in Smash Bros like there are in All-Stars. The closest thing they have is Ike.

I just think that's funny

Walpurgis

Banned
PlayStation games are 3D so it would only make sense for the gameplay to be 3D as well (instead of aping Nintendo as before). Here's what we need.
With top of the line graphics and server browsers, of course.

The game is Anarchy Reigns and it can go up to 16 players and has a variety of modes.
  • Battle Royale (free for all)
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Tag Battle: Tag Battle-exclusive techniques are the key to victory in these vicious team brawls! Guard together with your partner to deploy the spartan formation or grab simultaneously to unleash a fearsome Team-Up Attack!
  • Tag Deathmatch (2v2)
  • Deathmatch (4 FFA)
  • Cage Match
  • Capture the Flag
  • 3-Team Capture the Flag
  • Team Battle: Target the enemy Squad Leader in this highly strategic class-based team mode. Squad leadership will be assigned to the top player on each team at varying intervals.
  • Death Ball (football)
  • Survival: Crush your enemies, and see them driven before you! Team up to take on an endless tide of foes in this round-based, three player co-op mode!
With a little ambition, a lot can be done using a 3D style.

Imagine using the regular gameplay mechanics of Nathan Drake in Uncharted to fight someone playing as Kratos with traditional controls (perhaps with a fixed camera even). This kind of thinking might not work in all cases but who cares.

As for developer, PlatinumGames is the only path to success.

Im kinda biased, but I definately want Patapon character there. Hero class from 2 or 3, while I would prefer 3. Locoroco ball would also make fun character. Old school characters would be Dart and maybe even Vib Ribbon? Then there is characters from newer games. Im not 100% who should get in, but there are decent number of choices:

Kutaro, Iota, Freedom Wars character, Bloodborne hunter, Delsin, TLoUs duo, Knack, Shadow of the Beast character

What could we use…

Supers only system could be tweaked to normals and super system. So you would have normal life bar, but supers would still kill instantly, but this would make normal attacks feel more important.

I feel like stage crossover werent really needed. Some were good, some more eh, so I think being more basic would be better.

Honestly the original roster would have been OK without 3rd parties. But since they were there, Crash Spyro & Cloud omissions were pretty bad. I do feel kinda bad, apparently 2K studios were really exited for the game and really supported them somehw and thats how Big Daddy got in. Yet Big Daddy gets complained at. Also he was fun to play as.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
most of the characters id want

polygon man
zfmdy7h

fwank - loaded
jsa3l66

robbit - jumping flash
z2rsmsx

vibri - vib ribbon
zbucqbh

parappa - parappa the rapper
q5oxapf

sweet tooth (the whole damn truck not just him) - twisted metal
jkcv4jk

sir daniel - medievil

leroidys

I thought the roster was actually pretty good for PSASBR, especially after the Kat DLC. The problem was just that the game was bad.

If they made a new attempt, I'd like them to make a totally different game. I think something like Marvel might be a better template than Smash.

EDIT:

PlayStation games are 3D so it would only make sense for the gameplay to be 3D as well (instead of aping Nintendo as before). Here's what we need.

The game is Anarchy Reigns and it can go up to 16 players and has a variety of modes.

Imagine using the regular gameplay mechanics of Nathan Drake in Uncharted to fight someone playing as Kratos with traditional controls (perhaps with a fixed camera even). This kind of thinking might not work in all cases but who cares.

This seems like it would be a great fit.

thuway

PlayStation All Stars was a disaster. I might not be the biggest Smash Fan in the world, but Smash oozes fan service, polish, and over delivers on nostalgia. What blows my mind is how Nintendo got Cloud, Ryu, Megaman, AND Snake into their games while Superbot struggled to get the "right" version of Dante, Raiden, and Big Daddy.

Also doing "Supers" to win is such a stupid gameplay decision. Ugh and the graphics were completley out of place.

If Sony wants to do another fighter, this time don't skimp out on the roster, soundtrack, and graphics. And if your gonna copy Smash, go the whole way and actually ape the gameplay fundamentals.

First Party:
Robbit (Jumping Flash)
Rudy (Wild Arms)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Alundra (Alundra)
Lady Maria (Bloodborne)
Drake (Uncharted)
Spike (Ape Escape)
Kratos (God of War)
Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank)
Toro (Doko Demo Issyo!)
Sackboy/girl (LittleBigPlanet)
Parappa (Parappa the Rapper)

Third Party:
Cloud (Final Fantasy 7)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
Alucard (Symphony of the Night)
Jill (Resident Evil)
Regina (Dino Crisis)
Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Kazuya (Tekken)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Maya (Persona 2)
CJ (GTASA)
Kiryu (Yakuza)

12 each with someobvious omissions since you need sequels/DLC.

Developer: Capcom
Director: Itsuno & Nakae (directors of Power Stone)

The game would obviously be in the same vein as Power Stone. It's a perfect fit as most Playstation characters originated in fully 3D environments instead of 2D like Nintendo characters. Also, no stage and sound mixing. Each character gets their own stage with a song associated with them

And most importantly, no fucking Big Daddy or any other cross promotion bullshit.

Raiden

Banned
Man i love my PS4 but Sony just dont have the mascots to succesfully do a game like this. Most of its characters i played with on an Xbox or whatever. Itvwould have to be something different entirely to work i think. Not just a Smash clone.

Guys, where are new characters in your lists?!
Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn) has some fans, even before playing the game.
Sir Galahad (The Order: 1886) would be a great shooter character.
Delsin (Infamous: Second Son) has lots of awesome powers.
Iota/Atoi (Tearaway) can be a nice little character with interesting abilities.

cormack12

Gold Member
Guys, where are new characters in your lists?!
Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn) has some fans, even before playing the game.
Sir Galahad (The Order: 1886) would be a great shooter character.
Delsin (Infamous: Second Son) has lots of awesome powers.
Iota/Atoi (Tearaway) can be a nice little character with interesting abilities.

I considered Delsin, but haven't played I:SS and to be honest didn't really like Cole. Atoi might be a good shout though. Aloy - can't really say because although the game looks good none of us have played it. Galahad hmmm, maybe swap him out for Isabeau for the diversity balancing?

I considered Delsin, but haven't played I:SS and to be honest didn't really like Cole. Atoi might be a good shout though. Aloy - can't really say because although the game looks good none of us have played it. Galahad hmmm, maybe swap him out for Isabeau for the diversity balancing?
Delsin's personality isn't that great, but his powers are really amazing. they can use Fetch (Infamous: SS and FL) too. A good female character with neon power and Delsin with other powers.
About Galahad, maybe you're right. Sony doesn't have lots of female characters and Isabeau can be a better choice.
Although there are some games that maybe introduce great female characters in future. for example Hellblade. I think Senua has potential to be a great female character. or Nier: Automata with characters like 2B and A2. And Aloy from Horizon as I said before.

Harmen

First of all, I am one of those guys that would want a Smash experience in terms of core gameplay. And then build on that with a wildy varying line-up and presentation. There will be lots of salt but I do not see a problem. Most, if not all, other genres have games doing the same.

I feel the strenght of Sony and PS history is the varied line-up of genres and the good relationships with third parties. So I wish the game would reflect that, rather than focusing on just first party or exclusive games. Here is what I would want as the full initial line-up:

First Party:
-Ratchet and Clank
-Horizon main character
-Spike (Ape Escape)
-Fetch (Infamous First Light)
-Kratos
-Atoi (Tearaway)
-Sackboy
-Kat (Gravity Rush)
-Nathan Drake
-A Hunter (Bloodborne)*

Third Party:
-Solid Snake (MGS1 Snake)
-Cloud (FFVII)
-Barret (FFVII)
-An Assassin (Assassins Creed)*
-A Vault Dweller (Fallout series)*
-Crash
-Kiryu Kazuma (Yakuza games)
-Raz (Psychonauts)
-Abe (Oddworld)
-Geralt (The Witcher)
-Lara Croft

And non-gaming characters that were involved in games contributing to PS history:
-Batman (Arkham Knight Batman)
-Goku (normal form with ss1 transform)
-Luffy (One Piece)
-Naruto

*For these humanoid characters I would like to see some kind of basic customization system, supporting all races and genders (the same creation system applying to these varying base characters, so you design can be a hunter, assassin, and vault dweller).

Evilisk

In terms of characters:
Evil Cole and Zeus should get dropped. We don't need double dipping for any series (and if we did, we could certainly pick much better characters than those two). Most of the first parties can stay. Killzone and inFamous, I could see them dropping Radec/Cole for more recent characters. Most of the third parties should get dropped (though guys like Raiden and Isaac probably don't have a shot at returning anyway). Heihachi can stay.

As for specifics:
Rudy Roughnight (from Wild Arms 1) is absolutely necessary. Wild Arms is the most successful JRPG they have in their stable so it has to have a playble rep. He (or any Wild Arms character) should be the bare minimum for RPG representation

The other big picks would be
Wander (from Shadow of the Colossus). Could rep Team Ico's games in general

At least one representative from a Level 5 RPG (Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles, Rogue Galaxy or Jeanne D'Arc). Genie from Dark Cloud could make an interesting villain pick.

Tigershark from Invizimals. Main reason he'd be good is that he can easily absorb Big Daddy's moveset if he doesn't return (since he's also an aquatic themed heavyweight). Invizimals is also apparently big in certain places.

At least one rep from a FromSoft game (so either something like Lady Maria from Bloodborne, or Garl Vinland from Demon's Souls)

And these two are third party picks that would be great to have (besides obvious guys like Crash or Cloud)
-Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza series)
-Prinny (Disgaea series)

I could go either way on the rest of these characters
-Arc Eda Ricolne (Arc the Lad), Kitsuto (OreShika) or Stan and Ari (Okage: Shadow King) could be good Japanese/JRPG centric picks. AtL and OreShika are also multi generational series.

-Alundra (Alundra), Dart Feld (Legend of Dragoon) or Vahn (Legend of Legaia) are also extra cult classic PS1 RPG picks

-Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn), Aarbron (Shadow of the Beast) or Knack (Knack) for PS4 characters atm

-Joel and Ellie (Last of Us), Kutaro (Puppeteer), Little Lionheart (Tokyo Jungle) or Chimera Hybrid (Resistance) for extra PS3 characters (though PS3 is over-represented as it is)

-Finn from Sorcery could be an easy PlayStation Move rep if they really needed one.

-Rau Utu (Mark of Kri) or Jennifer Tate (Primal) and the previously mentioned Stan and Ari can fill up the fairly sparse PS2 side of the roster

-Magusar (Soul Sacrifice), a Patapon character and maybe a Freedom Wars character for portable picks would be fine

-Gabe Logan (Syphon Filter), Scarlett Blake (Dead Nation) or maybe Syn (Cardinal Syn) for other genres (Syphon Filter for Stealth, Scarlett Blake for Twin Stick shooters or Cardinal Syn for fighting games)

And maybe just one Game Republic character, either Ellen from Folklore, or Yoshitsune from Genji. I'm leaning towards Yoshitsune. He could also absorb Raiden's moveset if they need to and he's also a PS2 character.

Not sure on a Quantic Dream character. Not convinced on any Heavy Rain characters. Jodie Holmes with Aiden would be good but since she's played by Ellen Page, that could be problematic.

If we really have to double dip, I would go for characters with more interesting body types and/or villains. Dr Nefarious, Specter and Ares would be good villain picks that also aren't just average height humanoids (Nefarious is tall, Specter is short and Ares could be a heavy type). I would also personally go with Virginia Maxwell (Wild Arms 3) if I had to pick, just because I like her and more female characters can't hurt.

Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes from Beyond: Two Souls

Peter Stomare as Dr. Hill from Until Dawn

Keifer Sutherland as Venom Snake from MGSV.

And get Kevin Butler in there as well, why not?

Devoloper should then be NetherRealm Studio using the MKX engine.

Dio

Banned
I wanted to put more on here but I was already wasting too much time on this stupid image and thinking about what characters I'd want to be in the game and which would make the most sense.

I realize that I have a huge amount of personal bias here.

mcz117chief

I wanted to put more on here but I was already wasting too much time on this stupid image and thinking about what characters I'd want to be in the game and which would make the most sense.

I realize that I have a huge amount of personal bias here.

I approve of this list, especially because of Zero and Ryu :)

I'd honestly want a beat em up or fighting game for it.

Crash, Kratos, Tomba, Original Dante, Dart, Abe, Nariko, Lara Croft, Hunter (Bloodborne) and Sweet Tooth.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Cross-post from an old thread:

I would prefer them to fully commit to being a Smash clone, but if they went for a Power Stone thing next time around I could get behind that. The most important thing for me, honestly, is the roster. PSASBR was so lacking in everything, stages, characters and especially items, god was it in need of some more interesting items to use.

Cut the stage "mash-up" thing, it never really worked and the styles never meshed. Maybe that was just suggestive of the larger problem of they need an artstyle everything works in.

Personally, I would suggest making PSASBR2 a f2p Smash Bros style game with a rotating roster of free characters, but the ability to purchase the full game and have access to all characters.

Returning Characters:

- PaRappa
- Nathan Drake
- Fat Princess
- Jak & Daxter
- Kat
- Kratos
- Nariko
- Ratchet & Clank
- Sackboy
- Sir Daniel
- Sly Cooper
- Spike
- Sweet Tooth
- Toro

New Characters:

- Vibri (Vib-Ribbon)
- Pomeranian (Tokyo Jungle)
- Kutaro (Pupeteer)
- Atoi (Tearaway)
- Aloy (Horizon)
- Sir Gallahad (The Order 1886)
- Knack (Knack)
- The Uberhero (Patapon)
- Fetch (Infamous)
- Buzz (Buzz!)

3rd Party:

- Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
- The Prince of Planets (Katamari Damacy)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
- Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)

28 characters, and you could add new characters in as time goes on, to promote upcoming titles for instance. The stages should be slightly more dynamic to make up for the lack of mash-up-ed-ness, the likes of a Wipeout stage are a must. What about maybe a Singstar stage where the platforms are the lyric bars that are constantly changing?

Also make sure the menus aren't awful this time. It's such a shame, I love games like Smash Bros, and really wish there were more mascot fighters around, it's just Nintendo got it so right everyone else seems nervous to have a go.

Kouichi

1. Dream Roster: Excluding Evil Cole and Zeus, I would definitely want to bring back all the first party characters from the original and the scrapped DLC characters. Then continue picking one character per series, while covering every era of Playstation just like the original did. Characters like the Bloodborne Hunter and Joel/Elli would be a good way to represent the new PS4 era. As for third parties, I feel the only third party character you really need are Crash and Cloud, maybe Snake if it's possible. Focusing on first parties should always be the number one priority in these kind of games. However, just picking the most popular and recent third party characters wouldn't be bad at all. It's not ideal, but it won't ruin the roster or anything like that.

Though, as an a huge Infamous fan, one thing I wonder above all is what Infamous character should be playable? A part of me wants them to just bring Good Cole back since he's my favorite and the OG of the series. Also, since the good ending in I2 is canon, it makes sense that he'd be the only one playable of the two coles. But thinking about it some more, I think Fetch would be the ideal choice.

infamous-fetch-walker.jpg

Picking her would avoid the whole issue of picking between good/evil/neutral since there's no morality system in her game, she the most recent main protagonist in the series and has appeared in the both recent Infamous titles, she'd help further represent the current PS4 era of characters, her neon power is rad as hell and would make an awesome moveset (though this applies to every main infamous character haha), and she's female so she could add some much needed gender diversity in the roster. Give me Fetch, Sony!

2. Title: I thought Sony's Title Fight was a pretty cool name. Bring that back. Or maybe Playstation Fighters? I don't know I'm bad at names.

3. Who should make it? I'd choose between Namco, Capcom, or Sony Santa Monica. Namco and Capcom are obvious since there both experienced fighting game developers that work well with Sony. However, I also add Sony Santa Monica for two reasons. One, they helped develop the original game and even took an ample amount of their time to release a whole new patch after the game was already presumed dead by most. The original may have been flawed, but they put a good amount of work into it and I think they'd have the right mindset for a Sony crossover. Second, they made GoW Ascension's multiplayer, which is the sort of gameplay I think would be ideal for a playstaion fighting game. Based on these two points, I definitely think they have the ample amount of experience to pull it off.

4. Gameplay: As I just implied, a 3D fighter would be best because it not only better represents Playstation, but it also covers a fighting/brawler game niche that very few games apply to these days. An arena fighter like Power Stone, Anarchy Reigns, or Ascension's multiplayer would suit the game's Playstation background, while also stand out amongst the typical fighting games already on the market. It's much more ideal than trying to mimic Smash Bros, which will only cause negative comparisons. And arena fighters are fucking awesome. I need more!

5. The most important thing is just to for Sony to give the time, budget, and care into making a great fighting game. None of the above matters if they can't do that first. I loved the original and believe it did a lot of things right, but clearly Sony did not give the amount budget and care a game like these needs.

spanks

Definitely needs more emphasis on 3rd party. That's what the Playstation brand was built on.

Especially more classic mascots like Croc, Gex, Abe, Spyro, and Crash.

Also don't be afraid to copy Smash Bros' gameplay. It should be a party game more than a fighter.

Or POWERSTONE. Most Playstation icons were pioneers of 3D after all.

v1GdBP.gif

First they need to make a good game...

Worry about the character later.

Smash brothers is also getting a ton of 3rd party support now, it’s almost becoming unnecessary for a PS all stars game.

If they are going to do it right, I guess highlight people like Mega Man, Dante, etc...but it does feel like they missed the boat when Cloud is now in f’n Smash brothers lol.

Arttemis

Wow, this is what I was going to say for my response. Anarchy Reigns is my pick for how it should be modeled. I wouldn't mind if it outright copied Smash, though.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Man i love my PS4 but Sony just dont have the mascots to succesfully do a game like this. Most of its characters i played with on an Xbox or whatever. Itvwould have to be something different entirely to work i think. Not just a Smash clone.
Why do people keep beating this BS narrative ? We know Sony has more characters than Ms by a long shot. And probably more than Nintendo as well. They're the only one of the big 3 that brings many new characters each generation and retires many each generation.

Why do people keep beating this BS narrative ? We know Sony has more characters than Ms by a long shot. And probably more than Nintendo as well. They're the only one of the big 3 that brings many new characters each generation and retires many each generation.

But few of them are moscots or even memorable characters. Killer Instinct has done a great job recently of using some of Microsoft's unique characters and making them seamlessly blend into the vibe of the game.

Sony may have lots of characters but there is no way their quality can be compared to the roster of Smash.

To contribute to the thread: almost anything from Japan Studio in addition to characters that have a history with Playstation, something the original PS All Stars hardly had at all. Crash, Spyro, Klonoa... there's a lot of characters to choose from and I feel they need to be more picky. Issac from Dead Space and DmC Dante are not iconic enough to be in a Playstation legacy fighting game.

I dream of another shot at the PlayStation crossover game, but it really doesn't make any sense for the game to be a 2D Smash style brawler. It made sense for Smash because Kirby, Mario, Metroid and a whole bunch more of those games were 2D sidescrollers, but basically every character in PSASBR was from a 3D game series. Like, literally only Sackboy was from a 2D series and even then it has three planes of movement. Even the fighting game character was from the most famous 3D fighter series. It's dumb. Power Stone would be a way better direction for the series to go in since over 50% of the roster were from 3D brawlers and platformers.

Dizzy

Banned
I don't think there was anything wrong with the title.

Overrall I really liked the game, but the roster just felt very "b-team" if that. Obviously they need Snake, Lara and Cloud in there. The fact that Smash had 2 of those and PS all stars didn't just further cements the games status as "b-team". Old Dante should have been in, probably a few more characters too.

Whereas Smash (especially the first and second games) felt like a history of everything Nintendo, ps all stars kind of just felt like third parties used it as advertising for their latest stuff. It felt cheap and tacky in that regard.

Also I wasn't a fan of the combined stages, e.g. Killzone boss in the Parappa level. I'd rather they kept the one stage focused on the one game.

I quite liked the gameplay though. I didn't have an issue with the scoring system either. I don't think it needs to be knock them out of the arena like Smash.

I feel like if that game launched with Snake and the shadow moses level, cloud and a midgar stage, Lara and a temple stage etc it would have been looked back on a lot more fondly.

As far as a developer is concerned, the game needed to be made by someone with an actual reputation in the gaming industry. Somebody sort of like this guy, for example.

latest

Like, he may make questionable design choices like tripping and such, but the point is is that Sakurai is a well known and prolific game designer in Japan to the point that where series creators are far more likely to trust him with their characters.

The problem with Super Bot is that they were just a small-time american studio with no repertoire to speak of. Why would major companies like Square Enix entrust some no-name studio with their sacred cows like Cloud? None of the third parties took them seriously at all and ultimately just used the game as a quick way to advertise some of their upcoming titles like DmC and Dead Space 3.

The sad thing is, PSABR originally DID have a prolific developer behind it: Naughty Dog. They were originally going to develop the thing but they wanted to instead focus on The Last of Us, so PSABR was then handed off to a new B-team. I know they wanted to get TLOU out, but I do wish we still could of gotten the game made by them. It would of been so much better.

SpotAnime

Cross-post from an old thread:

New Characters:

- Vibri (Vib-Ribbon)
- Pomeranian (Tokyo Jungle)
- Kutaro (Pupeteer)
- Atoi (Tearaway)
- Aloy (Horizon)
- Sir Gallahad (The Order 1886)
- Knack (Knack)
- The Uberhero (Patapon)
- Fetch (Infamous)
- Buzz (Buzz!)

3rd Party:

- Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
- The Prince of Planets (Katamari Damacy)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
- Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)

28 characters, and you could add new characters in as time goes on, to promote upcoming titles for instance. The stages should be slightly more dynamic to make up for the lack of mash-up-ed-ness, the likes of a Wipeout stage are a must. What about maybe a Singstar stage where the platforms are the lyric bars that are constantly changing?

This is good. I'll agree with earlier posters that Tekken needs some representation here. I'll also say we need a Time Crisis character too. And I like the GT car idea here - very Fighters Megamix - but I'd go either GT or Ridge Racer as the car. And for good measure, Solid Snake. All of those are very iconic third-party in PlayStation history. What about a Battle Arena Toshinden character as well?

Lastly, I second the Wipeout stage but I'll take it a step further. Put in Arial Tetsu from the early Wipeout games. That was the one part of Wipeout I loved but they went away from, the individual characters you could choose on each team. Part of why I loved Quantum Redshift on the Xbox, which was from some of the original team who did those early Wipeout games. And of course license Atom Bomb to play in the background.

sora87

If they ever make a sequel, they need Cloud, Solid Snake, Crash, Spyro and Lara Croft. 5 of the most iconic characters that defined playstation and they were all missing.

I'd also like to see Sora, Riku, Wander, Dart, Zidane, a Bloodborne character, Samanosuke Akechi, Kite, Kutaro, KOS-MOS, Pyramid Head, Amaterasu and Aloy.

Maligna

Banned
Honestly I don't think PlayStation and their franchises fit this style of game.

If anyone should do it, it should be Sega.

Ravage

PlayStation games are 3D so it would only make sense for the gameplay to be 3D as well (instead of aping Nintendo as before).

The game would obviously be in the same vein as Power Stone. It's a perfect fit as most Playstation characters originated in fully 3D environments instead of 2D like Nintendo characters. Also, no stage and sound mixing. Each character gets their own stage with a song associated with them

And most importantly, no fucking Big Daddy or any other cross promotion bullshit.

Or POWERSTONE. Most Playstation icons were pioneers of 3D after all.

v1GdBP.gif

Nailed it. PSAS should have been a 3D game considering the history of the PlayStation and the type of games associated with it.

That and the complete lack of relevant 3rd party characters (i.e. Cloud, Crash and Snake) were the top 2 reasons why PSAS ended up being such a disappointment.
The sad thing is, PSABR originally DID have a prolific developer behind it: Naughty Dog. They were originally going to develop the thing but they wanted to instead focus on The Last of Us, so PSABR was then handed off to a new B-team. I know they wanted to get TLOU out, but I do wish we still could of gotten the game made by them. It would of been so much better.

Oh wow I didn't know this o.0

Top Bottom