• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder Adventures |OT| Decks, dice, and digital dungeons

rise-of-the-runelords.jpg
what-is.jpg

Out now for iPad and Android, also coming to PC

https://pathfinder.obsidian.net/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pathfinder-adventures/id966333863
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.obsidian.pacg1

Pathfinder Adventures, the digital adaptation of Paizo Inc.'s Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, translates the world's best-selling Pathfinder Roleplaying Game into an entirely new breed of card game, where players cooperatively battle monsters and villains, and acquire new feats, items, weapons and allies.

Role-players will find the game's character development very familiar. Characters have classes such as fighter, wizard, and rogue, as well as numbers that define strength, dexterity, intelligence, etc. You'll improve your character by acquiring new items, allies, spells, and weapons as you explore and overcome challenges; over time, you'll be able to customize your deck to better suit your own individual vision of your character.

The game can be played solo, or with other adventurers using built-in pass-and-play functionality.

Developer post on the F2P model
Perils Of The Lost Cost which includes the scenarios Brigandoom!, The Poison Pill and Black Fang's Dungeon and the characters Kyra and Merisiel are free. You can purchase the Rise of the Runelords which unlocks the rest of the adventure decks and all the characters for $24.99. The characters and decks can also be purchased piecemeal.

You can also use gold, which is an in-game currency you earn by playing, to purchase the adventure decks and characters.
  • An interactive tutorial ensures the game is easy to learn for new adventurers and veterans of the Pathfinder universe alike.
  • No physical card game set-up required. Pathfinder Adventures gets players straight into the action.
  • Multiple adventure profiles so that players can experience the campaign using every character.
  • Single player and pass-and-play multiplayer gameplay mode.
ygcgJZI.png
tO6453R.png

6EvmcFJ.jpg
iC66tnx.jpg

screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg

Ketch

This game is amazing! Just played through the tutorial and the first mission once, was unsuccessful, but I earned new cards -better weapons for my characters- and learned a lot about how to play.

I checked out the the store, and I don't know what to think. It's pretty awesome that you can basically unlock everything with in game gold, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the real money options. You can either buy gold, which seems like a bad deal, or by the bundles (one with just the adventures, one with everything- adventures and all heroes), but there's no option to just buy a new hero. I want to do the progression, and even wouldn't mind grinding out some in game currency if I just got to choose my own character. But you either gotta buy everything to get all the heroes, or grind with the default heroes to get the 10k gold to buy another hero.

If I buy the big bundle does the game still have a good sense of progression? Or does it feel like a cheat code and ruin everything?

Looking forward to this. I always wanted to try out the physical version but kept reading too many negatives. F2P with the option to buy other sets sounds good to me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If I buy the big bundle does the game still have a good sense of progression? Or does it feel like a cheat code and ruin everything?

i dont know how the digital version works, but in the physical you are limited to what you can get by what part of the adventure you are on. So no not really assuming it is the same.

KIRAKIRA

Banned
I've played a fair bunch of the physical version with the rise of the runelords expansion added, it got old fairly quickly. game lacks an interesting loot system, and a mostly lack of diversity compared to other co-op experiences such as eldritch horror.

I haven't played the most recent expansion yet though, I don't know it solves the problems the game has right now.

Ketch

i dont know how the digital version works, but in the physical you are limited to what you can get by what part of the adventure you are on. So no not really assuming it is the same.

So the free version limited me to two heroes for the first adventure, you don't think it would just let me bring all 5?

Also, do the adventures unfold in a linear fashion?

I'm still kind of confused about what type of game this... Coop CCG with unlimited replay ability? Or coop rpg with linear (yet somewhat randomized) progression with a clear ending to a campaign..

Ketch

It's been fun solo so far. I think the coop would just be everyone controls their own hero instead of one person controlling the whole party.

Epcott

What a coincidence, a coworker was telling me about this while discussing D&D. But I thought she was talking about a D&D online component, had no idea it was its own game. May have to check this out!

zulux21

this game is a f2p? had no idea, always thought it's going to be priced
AU7Amsc.gif

as did I, I was expecting it to be 4.99 for the base game with all the characters and like 1.99 per add on character deck or scenario.

hopefully the gold isn't super hard to get in game.

Finally it's out!

I'm a huge fan of the adventure card game. But it's hard to get together with my crew to play the real thing, so I need to pick this up for the off hours.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So the free version limited me to two heroes for the first adventure, you don't think it would just let me bring all 5?

Also, do the adventures unfold in a linear fashion?

I'm still kind of confused about what type of game this... Coop CCG with unlimited replay ability? Or coop rpg with linear (yet somewhat randomized) progression with a clear ending to a campaign..

It is basically a camapign. The more heroes you use, the harder the game is actually.

zulux21

so playing through a game and losing my wife got 16 gold. which would take a little under 100 matches to unlock a single character :p

wonder how much you get for winning.

will likely do at least the $2 get 200 gold a day per log in for a month thing to get enough gold to get a few characters and unlock the 80% off thing, and then see how gold goes from there that way I can support them as well.

It is basically a camapign. The more heroes you use, the harder the game is actually.

I would say 3 is easier than 2, but 4 is harder than 2 or 3 and 5 is basically hard mode (I can't remember if it goes to 6 but it is even harder) as the scaling isn't done well, but 3 is easier than 2 because you can get all the stats covered so there won't be any super hard areas to close.

Ketch

So I should just buy the bundle then right? Seems like that's the way the game was meant to be played? And I know I want all the adventures.

Found out it works on my phone so I went ahead and bought the Rise of the Runelords bundle but it doesn't seem to be working right now, it only lets me chose Merisiel and Kyra when choosing a party.

I love the card game, I've been playing through Rise of the Runelords solo and Skull and Shackles with a friend of mine.

I was planning on doing 6 for this. I play 5 for solo play on the card game. I think you just need to make sure you have Kyra and either Lini or Lem in your party if you are using more characters to you have the best healer and someone who can keep cure spells. The biggest thing for more characters is to be a lot more aggressive using blessings and allys to explore again on your turn since you are going to have less turns per character.

zulux21

hmmm buying the daily gold broke my game.
I don't see any gold in my inventory, and now everything costs -1 gold lol.

adj_noun

I would say 3 is easier than 2, but 4 is harder than 2 or 3 and 5 is basically hard mode (I can't remember if it goes to 6 but it is even harder) as the scaling isn't done well, but 3 is easier than 2 because you can get all the stats covered so there won't be any super hard areas to close.

Oh, snap. Maybe that's why I'm getting my butt handed to me with my six character party on the first mission.

Came within a hair's breadth of winning once, but ran out of time.

Anyhoo, running into a bit of a nasty bug at the moment on Android where the game keeps saying it's connecting and disconnecting any time I'd earn gold, so I haven't been earning any. It's been reported on the Obsidian forum too, so I kinda hope they nip that one in the bud.

hmmm buying the daily gold broke my game.
I don't see any gold in my inventory, and now everything costs -1 gold lol.

Yeah, they delayed the game by a week at the last minute for some bug fixing. I guess some slipped through.

zulux21

Oh, snap. Maybe that's why I'm getting my butt handed to me with my six character party on the first mission.

Came within a hair's breadth of winning once, but ran out of time.

Anyhoo, running into a bit of a nasty bug at the moment on Android where the game keeps saying it's connecting and disconnecting any time I'd earn gold, so I haven't been earning any. It's been reported on the Obsidian forum too, so I kinda hope they nip that one in the bud.

Yeah, they delayed the game by a week at the last minute for some bug fixing. I guess some slipped through.
yeah I own this game physically and with 6 players the timer is stupid hard where you need luck on your side to have hopes of finishing it with maximizing your moves. With 2 to 3 players you have some flexibility to explore.

the main reason for this is as you add more players more locations are added (I think there are 10 cards per location) how ever the over all time limit remains 30 turns. So while the new players will have stuff like blessings and what not to allow you to take multiple turns while only using a single turn, the end result is as you get more players if the henchmen and what not end up near the bottom of the deck it hurts more and more and makes it harder and harder while with less players you have a bit more freedom.

I think if I recall right with my group we have house ruled to start with like 45 blessings in a 5 player game to give us more freedom as the game can be brutal.

Every time I connect to the game it says I'm not on the internet and then relog back in. Everything is fine.

Click play, says I'm not on the internet.

I'll play it tomorrow.

zulux21

so the official forums for this game are here

and it seems like purchase issues are pretty wide spread. I wanted to play this game tonight but it seems likely like no matter what I do in the game I won't get anything from it besides the experience of playing it thus I might just hold off until I can earn gold in game.

Physical version sucks ass. Incredibly boring and not enough variety. I put down way too much money for that. Don't see how a digital version can solve the problems with the game system.

Physical version sucks ass. Incredibly boring and not enough variety. I put down way too much money for that. Don't see how a digital version can solve the problems with the game system.
From what I've read, this isnt a digital card game like say Sentinels of the Multiverse. This is more of an RPG adaptation of the card game

zulux21

I don't think there's online multiplayer right now, just pass and play. Implementation of asynchronous multiplayer may be tricky since there's quite a bit of playing cards when it's not your turn.

by the game though online multiplayer is something they will be adding later though.

by the game though online multiplayer is something they will be adding later though.

I saw that they plan on adding it, I am curious how they're going to implement it. Real time isn't a good solution, I'm guessing it will end up being an asynchronous system where the person whose turn is active can request assistance on checks. And maybe for characters like Lem you'll be able to set a card to automatically recharge so that anyone at his location can automatically use his ability if they need it. It would be far from perfect and would remove some opportunities to use cards on others turn, but it's probably the best option for playing a game like this online on tablets.

adj_noun

Finally beat the first mission with six characters. You're basically praying some of those minions aren't at the bottom of the darn deck.

I'm enjoying the slow improvement of your deck; makes the losses more tolerable when you snag a nice weapon or spell.

Failing at the very last temp location close before you'd be able to nail the boss down makes me cry manly tears. ;_;

Qvoth

cleared the 1st mission with the default 2 characters
this game is super fun
AU7Amsc.gif

any suggestions on the 1st item to spend gold on?
cheapest item right now is 2nd mission which costs 750 gold i think? i have like 600 or so

also, when you replace your cards in a deck, do the replaced cards disappear instead of going into your storage or something? couldn't find some cards i had

adj_noun

also, when you replace your cards in a deck, do the replaced cards disappear instead of going into your storage or something? couldn't find some cards i had

I think they go back into the "vault"; you can redraw them in missions, but you can't assign 'em to characters before a mission.

Unless a card says to Remove From the Game when used it will go into storage to be possibly be reused in another scenario. That will change once you hit a certain adventure (the third one maybe?) when anytime you banish a card with the basic trait you remove it from the game. You're supposed to have the option for boons though so you can keep things like cure spells, though I haven't seen how this works in the digital version yet.

Ketch

Question for people who know how to play this game: is it better to set up your items, blessings, and allies to cover for your characters weaknesses or boost their strengths? For example, should I give the cleric a burglar ally or elven boots to help her get past dexterity checks? Or should I be min maxing and putting those items on my rogue, even though she doesn't need as much help with those roles?

Question for people who know how to play this game: is it better to set up your items, blessings, and allies to cover for your characters weaknesses or boost their strengths? For example, should I give the cleric a burglar ally or elven boots to help her get past dexterity checks? Or should I be min maxing and putting those items on my rogue, even though she doesn't need as much help with those roles?

At harder points in game, it's really difficult to attempt to diversify really. The game kinda limits a player in you wanting to focus on your strengths. As you progress, all checks get harder, so if you focus on a stat you suck at, your not raising your primary ones and you will fall behind. And at same time, you really can't catch up with a shitty stat to be useful since all checks get progressively harder.

Game kinda is designed around having party members focusing on core strengths and sending them where they need to go best suited.

It's always been the one major negative aspect of the game, is that random luck of draw will force characters into no win situations. Diversifying characters just makes things more difficult.

In the physical version of the game you continually pushed forward so stuff got more difficult, in this digital version are you allowed to grind the same content to become more powerful? Cause if this version lets you grind up on content, I can see it being ok to diversify

adj_noun

In the physical version of the game you continually pushed forward so stuff got more difficult, in this digital version are you allowed to grind the same content to become more powerful?

Yeah. You can fail missions again and again, but you get to keep your assigned loot.

There's a perma-death option, but I ain't touching that one.

Top Bottom