• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Neo and Nintendo NX to debut at TGS 2016: (not confirmed by N or Sony)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterc

PlayStation Neo and Nintendo NX to debut at TGS 2016 (not confirmed by N or Sony)

1463123465_ps4.jpg

Though Sony's rumoured console PlayStation Neo has not been confirmed, a new report on technology blog VR World has "confirmed" that PlayStation Neo and Nintendo's upcoming home console, Nintendo NX would be "announced" at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show (TGS) 2016.

This confirmation comes via a slide during AMD's 2016 Investor Day where it the statement "new semi-custom business in 2H 2016" was written. This, the report said, was a placeholder for PlayStation Neo and Nintendo NX. These two consoles are expected to make their debut at this annual event.

The report also revealed that PlayStation Neo would feature higher clock rate, up from 800 MHz to 911 MHz. The console could also have better memory.

Nintendo, on the other, had said NX will be launched in March 2017 and has confirmed that it would not be a part of its E3 2016 showcase. So a reveal during TGS 2016 looks more likely for Nintendo.

Microsoft too has been rumoured to be busy with a powerful Xbox One, but there is no information on the same.

The TGS has a history of big company announcements, like Sony revealed during the TGS 2015 that PlayStation VR was the official name of its Project Morpheus. TGS 2016 is expected to take place in September 2016.

http://vrworld.com/2016/05/11/amd-confirms-sony-playstation-neo-based-zen-polaris/

Wanted to post this because vrworld doesn't seem to be someone random person posting a rumor.

Assuming it's true, we doesn't need to wait until the end of this year to get NX info.
What if ps4 neo wouldn't be showed at e3, will this be the same dissapointment?

I think it's a bit in between. Sony will probably still show a good lineup for games that makes the waiting less painful.

edit: Didn't know there was a thread already for nx and ps4 neo with this announcement. If so this thread can be closed.

FHIZ

There is absolutely no way Sony gets out of E3 without addressing the elephant in the room, that would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make in terms of messaging. It'd nearly be as bad as their 2013 press event was good.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Those sound like major assumptions to me, everywhere in the article. Not things heard by anyone. Just....assumptions.

Kudo

PS4 Neo definitely won't be at E3, unless they're planning to bring it to stores for Summer and all rumours say that it's later so they'd be stupid to reveal it at E3 only to have it in stores for Winter, it'd kill all the momentum PS4 has.

TGS sounds like a good place to reveal both in my opinion, people globally are looking at it and I think both Nintendo and Sony want to gain more foothold in Japan.

I actually think that makes sense since if Sony announces the PS4 Neo, it might hurt current sales of the current PS4 model because potential buyers might wait until the new model but if they announce the PS4 Neo close to launch in the fall then it will not hurt PS4 sales. It also makes sense for Nintendo to announce the NX at TGS.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo and TGS? Eh.

Also I don't see Sony doing that either, they practically moved Playstation out of Japan, why would they reveal Neo (which rather targets the western markets) there?

The article is reaching.

maxcriden

Those sound like major assumptions to me, everywhere in the article. Not things heard by anyone. Just....assumptions.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. Where is there an indication they're not just speculating? In that case, as others have said, it doesn't make sense necessarily since Nintendo hasn't been a recent exhibitor at TGS.

Respawn

Banned
There is absolutely no way Sony gets out of E3 without addressing the elephant in the room, that would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make in terms of messaging. It'd nearly be as bad as their 2013 press event was good.
They don't have to show us a damn thing regarding the console at E3 and they will be fine.

Audioboxer

They don't have to show us a damn thing regarding the console at E3 and they will be fine.

Physically no, that outrage brigade was shot down in flames after the hysteria at the Feb PS4 event where they only talked specs.

Not mentioning it at all at E3, that's going to go down like a ton of bricks. Worst kept secret. Announce the specs Sony.

Jackano

Yeah Nintendo is technically never at TGS, but there is precedent for them having a conference around it.

Directly or not, TGS should starts the flow of actual NX news.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Is 'Nintendo never attend TGS' still a compelling argument in a year that they have no conference or direct and one game at E3? Anything could happen.
It would be a nice venue to give press and public hands on time with the NX if it really is launching before E3.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

You're right. I had the impression that they were in 2004 too, but there were just some DS games there.

Still, TGS is so out of their radar that would be crazy to do this. Also it would mean that they are again pretty much ignoring the western world.

thefro

Yeah Nintendo is technically never at TGS, but there is precedent for them having a conference around it.

Directly or not, TGS should starts the flow of actual NX news.

My thinking is that we'll see NX by TGS.

E3
July (too soon after E3, why not just unveil there?)
Olympics in August (don't want to unveil during that)
NX reveal
TGS in September

Nintendo's not going to skip E3 to reveal at a smaller event where they still won't get all the attention to themselves. That'd be very silly.

So obviously that's exactly what Nintendo's going to do :p

Kyzer

Banned
Sounds like total speculation, not even a random rumor much less a credible one.

"With a delay, TGS seems more likely..."

Not even a rumor OP. They are literally just guessing.

Why? What other options do they have beside TGS or spacewolrd?

A nintendo direct wouldn't happen instead, it's to small. They need to spread the word also beside online.

Yes it would, that's exactly howbit happened last time and pretty much guaranteed how it'll happen this time. If it's at TGS this year it'll be because they already unveiled it on their own.

Luigiv

Here's the original statement:
...the Nintendo NX console, which should be announced during Tokyo Game Show 2016.

To me this reads like an assumption and nothing more. It's a stretch to even call this a rumour.

TGS would fit well for NEO reveal if they plan to launch the model during the fall. E3 is too soon and revealing NEO there could harm the sales of base PS4 for months. Now the knowledge about NEO is limited to hardcore gamers.

Neoxon

While I could see Nintendo doing their reveal around the time of TGS, I'm not sure if it'll actually be a TGS reveal.

No it's more like a 3DS -> New 3DS situation
How so? The Wii was designed as an extra powered GameCube with motion controls.

The Neo is an extra powered PS4 with VR.

I don't think they actually changed the number of CPU cores or RAM like the n3DS.

It honestly looks like a the Wii situation. Improved CPU but no extra cores, and new GPU than can run in BC mode or new console mode. The Wii got more and faster RAM, but the Neo only gets faster RAM.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Japan market is dead for consoles. Dead. To reveal a console at TGS is like you would reveal a VR HMD at a summit for blind people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom