• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hovering in Super Mario Sunshine Hovering in Super Mario Sunshine

It's time someone started explaining why Super Mario Sunshine has the most advanced camera of a Nintendo game to date. And I will do that.

Nintendo of America’s George Harrison tells CNN that … games like “Super Mario Sunshine” are too difficult for today’s gamers. Due to Cube’s software sales, Nintendo of Japan and Miyamoto have decided to make games less challenging to sell software to larger audiences.
“Nintendo’s chief gaming architect Shigeru Miyamoto agreed with criticism that the Mario game was too hard. And, in a decision that might anger the hardcore crowd, the word has since come from up high to make games less challenging.” says CNN.
Koizumi: There are about 4 times more camera options in this game over Super Mario 64.
Q: Was the [camera] control constantly adjusted?
Usui: Of course. Miyamoto made sure of that. Koizumi started focusing on that just so he wouldn't have to hear it from the boss.

Some people have problems with Sunshine's camera auto-rotation mechanic when hovering. I don't, but they do.

1. Hovering is designed around the Mario feel in that Mario enters a rigid no turning linear type of movement when jumped (opposed to other games like Jak & Daxter, Maximo, Wario World, Super Mario 3D World, etc.). It would produce discordance if you could whip yourself around in the air easily like in DK64 with Diddy Kong's jetpack. The camera does not move in the direction you are going at a fast speed to prevent jerky camera movement (i.e. SM64's R-cam when turning). Hovering controls are tight to allow for tight landings. That is the design. It's a great design, but just like Sony casuals complaining about not being able to strafe in Resident Evil 4 expertly designed only for Gamecube, these same people pretending to be Nintendo fans can't seem to grasp jet pack controls that don't default to casual design of other games.

2. The camera punishes non-synchronization to Mario's movement. The camera will readjust itself to stay within a range that shows what is straight ahead of Mario that syncs with the FORWARD MOVEMENT DESIGN of the game. Try running sideways in Super Mario Sunshine (excluding athletic courses) and the camera will start to move to be behind Mario so that Mario is forward. So, no, the camera is not going to let you hover backwards to produce forward movement. No the camera is not going to let you hover sideways because that does not produce forward movement. Desyncing leads to awkwardness ala Mario swimming and jumping when moving toward the camera in the pool of water in Tall, Tall Mountain in Super Mario 64 or Flight Mario flying towards the camera in Super Mario Galaxy.

Let's look at Matthewmatosis' Mario Sunshine review which has nearly a quarter million views on youtube who gets cited here frequently for his supposed in-depth analysis:
Often make it harder to move in desired direction
Unnecessarily complicates process of moving around in air
Players need to continue to set up a new camera angle after every use of the hover nozzle

He understands the camera re-orients itself behind hovering Mario but fails on maneuvering WITH it. On how to handle hovering he says: "This means the player needs to continually change the movements on the left analog stick based on what the camera is doing". Which is completely backwards. Camera movement follows Mario NOT leads him. The player should obviously be changing the camera direction with the camera stick in the direction of Mario's back or simply snap it in place with L-Trigger. It never occurs to him in the video of his review to use the c-stick. So he's complaining about auto-rotation but doesn't use manual controls. The opposite side are reviewers whining about using the c-stick too much. Like having control is a disease. And this is why Nintendo just decided "fuck it. let's make games that play themselves".

The desired direction is forward. To make hovering movement "complicated" requires going against forward movement (acting dysfunctional) in some way, usually in the form of wanting to perform a full 180 degree camera turn. Only real situation that occurs is to get up a really high wall that requires you to activate hover facing away from the wall after a wall jump to perform the 180 degree turn. It's certainly not seen often in the athletic courses (aka secret levels). The whole part on the athletic courses is absurd to listen to on how the hover makes the course harder to control compared to FLUDless Mario.

What isn't said in the review or any other review by these camera detractors is that they are bad players.
Bad players often make it harder to move in desired direction
Bad players unnecessarily complicate process of moving around in air
Bad players need to continue to set up a new camera angle after every use of the hover nozzle

Do you even hover?

Next thread: Auto-rotation and level design

Dr.brain64

Sunshine really did have some hardcore controls so it may have been part of why it wasn't popular.

I love this game though.

Menitta

I will defend this game as long as I live. It's Godlike.

Sunshine really did have some hardcore controls so it may have been part of why it wasn't popular.

I love this game though.

Speedruns of Mario Sunshine are nuts. The amount of advanced movement you can do is insane.

Personally I never had any issues with the camera. It's only when I checked online after I finished it that I saw everyone complaining about it. I actually like having manual control of the camera and missed it in Galaxy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There was some stuff going on in the early 2000s of gaming where controlling the camera was just as much a part of the gameplay as controlling the camera. I totally dug it in that era - it felt like I was just as much the cinematic cameraman as I was the player character. I liked being "proactive" in setting up the optimal view.

But I can see why they later sought more automatic cameras in order to reduce friction.

SalvaPot

To me Sunshine controls like a charm, never got the complains and I am glad to finally understand why so many people had those complains. Its because they needed to git gud.

Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario game. I guess it's "hardcore" difficulty is what made me spend so much time with it when I can blast through Galaxy and newer Mario games in a few days.

I dunno, I never really had any difficulty with it, Fludd just made it more fun to play for me.

Sakujou

Banned
i remember that the controls were really smooth and satisfying to use.

good times, but largely ignored by the crowd due "nintendo".

You can run into some really really shitty camera placement but it was never enough to ruin it for me. Love Sunshine I must play at least 10 or so shines every year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I saw a speed run of this game on SGDQ 2016 and I'm all the more impressed. It's an extremely fun game. Love it.

It does have some camera problems, though. But the hovering explanation makes sense. Interesting.

NimbusD

Wow this is the first time being in a thread where the majority of people are defending sunshine.

I also loved it, tho the camera did have some notable horrible movements on certain levels. O forget the exact one but there was one that involved climbing a fence that was night impossible because the camera wouldn't stop fucking up.

I do miss being able to Controll the camera more on third person gsmes.

Sunshine is my second favorite 3D Mario after Galaxy (1) and I've beaten it many times. The camera fucking sucks but the versatility in movement makes up for it.

So they built a Mario game around the camera controls whilst giving us that scrappy little yellow c stick? Great job Nintendo.

I finished putting together my retro setup this week and the Gamecube has been seeing a lot of action. Including Mario Sunshine. My 4 and half year old loves Mario and he was excited when his daddy told him that there was a Mario game he hadn't seen before. So we fired up, MS and he immediately struggled unlike his times playing 3D World and 3D Land and even Mario 64.

He still likes the game, but Daddy has to play most of it for him.

So yes OP, you enjoy the hardcore-ness of this game, but it's a step in the wrong direction for a large majority of their audience. They made the right decision to simplify.

Neiteio

Man, I miss Sunshine. Game was overflowing with good feeling and tight mechanics.

Camera was only problematic behind the Ferris wheel in Pinna Park, imo.

Malcolm9

Rerelease this game Nintendo please.

I really hope NX gets GameCube as a Virtual Console category.

You and me both, I'd love to play this game again. I had it on the Cube when it was released but I didn't get round to finishing it and playing an HD version would be great.

I would go down the Dolphin route but I haven't got a decent computer to run it.

Sometimes the camera was awesome, and sometimes it screwed me real hard.

There are worse and better things than the camera in that game though. The whole thing is really a mixed bag.

Mediking

I love Super Mario Sunshine BUT.... there's alotta trolling level design in the game. Just seriosuly overkill and annoying at times.

The game that made Nintendo realize the ever looming problem that audiences cannot easily adapt to 3D and dual-analog movement which is still reflected in their design philosophies today.

Lazaro

Camera was an issue for me when navigating around the rock pillars in that stupid Volcano. I also remember having trouble using the camera while brushing some monsters teeth underwater in Noki Bay.

It's a great Mario game, I'm pretty sure Sunshine was rushed in development but it's still a great game

The one thing I despise about Sunshine though is it's Blue Coins.

poodaddy

You and me both, I'd love to play this game again. I had it on the Cube when it was released but I didn't get round to finishing it and playing an HD version would be great.

I would go down the Dolphin route but I haven't got a decent computer to run it.

I've the computer for it but I haven't gone down the Dolphin hole yet, which is kind of weird for me. I haven't emulated in about a decade so I think I'm a bit intimidated by getting into it again. Might be worth it though.

III-V

Played and loved sunshine back in the day. Had no issues with controls or camera, the game was genius. I have issues with SM3DL absolute junk camera.

So sad to hear that they need to dumb the controls down for casual target audience.

Sunshine is one of my favorite Mario games, but I couldn't get through it as a kid. It was too hard. So I see what Nintendo is going for here.

trixx

Super Merio Sunshine features the mario with the best moveset. The controls aren't the problem its just that some levels are lacking severely in terms of quality

Thaedolus

I never understood the hate this game got...a few design decisions aside, it's right up there with 64 and Galaxy 1 and 2.

K' Dash

I tried so hard to like Sunshine, I just could not and I really put my finger on what bothers me.

The game sometimes feels rushed and incomplete, but maybe that's just me.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
This has always been the Mario game I've gotten the most out of playing. I think this is the first time I'm seeing a thread that holds it in a positive light.

The one thing I despise about Sunshine though is it's Blue Coins.

I don't understand this at all. They're just something extra for you to collect. The more recent games essentially have blue coins in the form of star coins or green stars, a certain number of which are required for you to make progress. Meanwhile, Sunshine doesn't hide any content behind blue coins at all.

So I don't get why people "hate" them. They can be completely ignored and they don't help you in any way. The game has 96 other shines for you to get.

The controls and handling were never detriments to Sunshine imo. It having the most infuriating and repetitive level designs of the 3d Marios were what tarnished its reputation.

I don't understand this at all. They're just something extra for you to collect. The more recent games essentially have blue coins in the form of star coins or green stars, a certain number of which are required for you to make progress. Meanwhile, Sunshine doesn't hide any content behind blue coins at all.

So I don't get why people "hate" them. They can be completely ignored and they don't help you in any way. The game has 96 other shines for you to get.

I'd be more okay with them if there was a way to track your collection. There's no indication of blue coins you've already collected.

It's a shame it'll never be ported, it doesn't work without the ability to limit the spray based on trigger feedback and I don't think any modern controller has the feedback function built in anymore.

Great game.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

They make it nearly impossible to 100% the game without using a guide. I can easily 100% SM64, both of the Galaxy games, 3D Land, and 3D World without using a guide, but Sunshine I always have to use one because I can never remember where all of the blue coins are.

ohlawd

I didn't even know this game had camera "problems"

I honestly think Sunshine has the best camera in gaming to this very day

I'd be more okay with them if there was a way to track your collection. There's no indication of blue coins you've already collected.

Well, you can check how many you've gotten in each level on the Totals screen. The only problem I have is that there's no way to tell which episodes have coins that you can't get in other episodes. That's really the only thing stopping you from tracking your progress.

They make it nearly impossible to 100% the game without using a guide. I can easily 100% SM64, both of the Galaxy games, 3D Land, and 3D World without using a guide, but Sunshine I always have to use one because I can never remember where all of the blue coins are.

It's hard to find them. That's the point, and that's why they're optional.

It's a great design, but just like Sony casuals complaining about not being able to strafe in Resident Evil 4 expertly designed only for Gamecube, these same people pretending to be Nintendo fans can't seem to grasp jet pack controls that don't default to casual design of other games.

Holy shit dude.

Now tell us how you really feel

Top Bottom