• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California State University Offers Community For Black Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Segregated housing will now be available to black students at California State University Los Angeles as a means of combating “microaggressions” and “racially insensitive remarks.”

School officials have honored requests by CSLA's Black Student Union and will offer “housing space delegated for Black students” at the Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community.

CSLA spokesman Robert Lopez told education watchdog the College Fix on Tuesday via email that its segregated housing will also focus on “academic excellence and learning experiences that are inclusive and non-discriminatory.”

Mr. Lopez declined to tell the website how much of CSLA’s 192-room residential complex were available for segregated housing. University officials, members of the Black Student Union, and other campus staffers also declined to comment for the website’s piece.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/6/cal-state-university-la-offers-segregated-housing-/

MOD EDIT: Black-focused housing at Cal State L.A. draws criticism, but it's nothing new

The debut of a new housing option at Cal State Los Angeles is attracting a lot of attention, starting with its name: the Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community.

The on-campus housing is meant to gather those interested in issues concerning the black community. Twenty-four students are living in the themed dorm space, and Cal State L.A. said there is a wait list to get in.

News of the housing spread around the Internet on Tuesday, generating criticism. Some said separating minority students runs counter to the aims of the civil rights movement. Stories appeared on the Fox News website and at the Blaze, the online outlet launched by conservative commentator Glenn Beck.

Cal State L.A. said the housing is hardly unique and shuts no one out.

“This community is open to all students,” said Cal State L.A. spokesman Robert Lopez. “This living-learning community focuses on academic excellence and learning experiences that are inclusive and non-discriminatory.”

Lopez, a former Times staff writer, said in an email that the university offers four “themed living communities,” including first-year, honors and gender-neutral housing.

HeySeuss

Woah. I hope the students were asking for this. I would consider it similar to safe spaces but damn that's a little on the nose...

Edit.. I somehow skimmed the part where they did ask for it. Not sure how I glossed over that.

Woah. I hope the students were asking for this. I would consider it similar to safe spaces but damn that's a little on the nose...

Edit.. I somehow skimmed the part where they did ask for it. Not sure how I glossed over that.

School officials have honored requests by CSLA's Black Student Union and will offer “housing space delegated for Black students” at the Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community.

From the OP.

I live 2 blocks from the campus and I can't say there are very many blacks in the area to begin with. Not sure how many actually on campus though.

I wonder how this would be viewed by the people who fought so hard during the 50s and 60s to end segregation. I understand the student's desires for a "safe space" but sometimes you need to confront the problems head on. Would racists be happy about this self-segregation as they're always trying to separate whites from blacks/hispanics/etc.?

From the article regarding space

Mr. Lopez declined to tell the website how much of CSLA’s 192-room residential complex were available for segregated housing. University officials, members of the Black Student Union, and other campus staffers also declined to comment for the website’s piece.

Yeah Title IX makes you need to have equal allowance for everyone. So this would make a Somali housing, Italian housing, Hispanic housing, etc required now too.

This will backfire
I'm curious, would only ethnic/racial housing be required? Or could people ask for apartment segregation by age, sex, religion, etc?

Kayhan

Segregated housing will now be available to black students at California State University Los Angeles.

A focus on “academic excellence and learning experiences that are inclusive and non-discriminatory.”

As a black guy I'm not a fan of this, regardless of whether the students asked for it or not. Part of being in college is being forced into situations (including living arrangements) where you need to experience the ups and downs of living with people that are different from you. If you're facing micro-aggressions, then call it out and address it as you need to. Don't request a "safe space" where you can insulate yourself from them.

Students are welcome to apply to HBCUs if they want to.

Yeah this seems like a bad idea. I mean they asked for it, but it seems like trying to take a step in the wrong direction. It could also be a slippery slope of other groups now requesting the same treatment (and likely having to be granted it due to the Civil Rights Act and title IX). Then you will run in to all sorts of problems with accommodations not being as "equal" as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom