• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California State University Offers Community For Black Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

FYI, the Washington Times is a right wing publication.

Yeah digging a little deeper, this isn't something new

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-housing-cal-state-la--20160906-snap-story.html

UC Berkeley has seven communities that each offer housing themed around a specific community, including Native Americans, Asian Pacific Americans and African Americans.

Stanford offers four “ethnic theme dorms” that each focus on Latino, Native American, Asian American and black culture. These are among nearly 20 “theme houses” at the Palo Alto campus.Reed College in Portland, Ore., offers an "intentional living community" for "students of color to heal together from systemic white supremacy," and the themed housing focuses on black and indigenous voices, according to the college's website.

Since 2001, Cornell College in Iowa has offered "living learning communities." During the 2015-16 academic year, the college had housing that confronts "problems and concerns of Black students," according to the college's website.

insane.

schools should be forcing integration in their housing system, not allowing students to decide if they want to segregate themselves.

Gorillaz

I get the need of having your own "space" or safespace or whatever people call it nowadays but college dorms?

This is pretty much the time to be a bit more open at least for a year.

Averon

Colleges really need to start telling students "NO" in at least some cases.

That colleges have quickly become a "product and service" and less of an educational institution is partly to blame.

Fuchsdh

As a black guy I'm not a fan of this, regardless of whether the students asked for it or not. Part of being in college is being forced into situations (including living arrangements) where you need to experience the ups and downs of living with people that are different from you. If you're facing micro-aggressions, then call it out and address it as you need to. Don't request a "safe space" where you can insulate yourself from them.

Students are welcome to apply to HBCUs if they want to.

Their other demands regarding better training for faculty and a stronger anti-discrimination policy seem solid without knowing particulars. But this just seems like it's going to be self-defeating. Racial animosity doesn't disappear when you separate people, it just allows it to be unchallenged.

Looking more into it, its also supposed to be for affordable student housing for those living in normally more expensive surrounding areas who cant afford a living space, but also still created by the Black Student Union as Black only dorms.

As a black guy I'm not a fan of this, regardless of whether the students asked for it or not. Part of being in college is being forced into situations (including living arrangements) where you need to experience the ups and downs of living with people that are different from you. If you're facing micro-aggressions, then call it out and address it as you need to. Don't request a "safe space" where you can insulate yourself from them.

"Ignore" 'click'

Completely agree

Slayven

Their other demands regarding better training for faculty and a stronger anti-discrimination policy seem solid without knowing particulars. But this just seems like it's going to be self-defeating. Racial animosity doesn't disappear when you separate people, it just allows it to be unchallenged.

Yeah but some people don't want to be challenging social ills 24/7

Aikidoka

Seems like lots of people are overreacting about this. "giving racists what they want"? Why should black people be concerned with what shithead think?
Just stop with the concern trolling.

Yeah like, on the face of it "Boo hoo! Segregation is bad!"

But if I were a Cali State University student from a minority background, which would I prefer:

1. Spending my entire college career dealing with what appears to be an obvious cultural problem with racism, having to be demoralized and demotivated by my ethnic majority peers, and trying to fight the ever losing battle of trying to "win" against the racism of the society.

or

2. Settle in a safer, more constructive, more inclusive, more conducive environment, where I'm encouraged and promoted to do well, so I can focus on getting a decent education.

Hell, I know what option I'd choose. every. single. time.

Noobcraft

I don't think this is a good idea. The color of a person's skin or their heritage shouldn't be a grounds for segregation. Segregating groups can have utility, for instance, gender based segregation for housing or handicap friendly communities, but I don't see any benefit in allowing segregation to occur based off of skin color when there isn't any functional difference between people of different skin types/colors.

I mean it wasn't official policy but I definitely remember two floors of the dorm at my school ended up being all Black due to friends requesting to room together and some folks requesting different dorm rooms.

Edit: TIL Washington Times is a right wing rag.

blakep267

I disagree with that. I had a roommate who apparently never saw a black person before me( I know it sounds dumb). Over the many issues that we had, the RA and housing manager never seemed to want to handle them and ignored my complaints. Which essentially turned into us ignoring each other's existence even though we were 3 feet apart

There was no remedying the situation. That's in a fantasy world

Also there are no HBCUs where I live and plus the school I went to was a better college than those

Now for example I'm not saying that I don't want white roommates. I've had those and some of them were great. But I don't think it's a good idea to force together people who have no desire to be around you. If some white students want to live in the "black dorms" go for it. But I feel that forcing together people that may be a bit racist isn't helpful

Enzom21

lol. I bet MLK is turning in his grave. Fucking idiots.

Yeah this is what would cause MLK to turn in his grave... not the continued systemic racism and inequality.🙄
I wonder when people will stop using MLK as the model negro to chastise black people for things they don't like.

Riddick

The safe space geniuses have finally completed their 360 turn and they're practically pro-segregation now. Can't wait for their rationalizations on this ridiculous crap.

Alienous

But if I were a Cali State University student from a minority background, which would I prefer:

1. Spending my entire college career dealing with when appears to be an obvious cultural problem with racism, having to be demoralized and demotivated by my ethnic majority peers, and trying to fight the ever losing battle of trying to "win" against the racism of the society.

or

2. Settle in a safer, more constructive, more inclusive, more conducive environment, where I'm encouraged and promoted to do well, so I can focus on getting a decent education.

Part of the point of college is interacting with people from a plethora of backgrounds. To realize people are people, wherever they come from or might look like.

Segregated housing, even voluntary, only harms that. It reinforces an idea of "us vs. them".

Slayven

Part of the point of college is interacting with people from a plethora of backgrounds. To realize people are people, wherever they come from or might look like.

Segregated houses, even voluntary, only harms that. It reinforces an idea of "us vs. them".

Being born black in America already reinforces "us vs them", and it is not the black people doing it

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist

1. Spending my entire college career dealing with when appears to be an obvious cultural problem with racism, having to be demoralized and demotivated by my ethnic majority peers, and trying to fight the ever losing battle of trying to "win" against the racism of the society.

or

Sounds like the same reason for segregated gender classes. Where do you draw the line?

Aikidoka

Segregated housing, even voluntary, only harms that. It reinforces an idea of "us vs. them".

This is basically victim blaming and mixing up cause and effect pretty badly.

Toa TAK

Banned

1. Spending my entire college career dealing with what appears to be an obvious cultural problem with racism, having to be demoralized and demotivated by my ethnic majority peers, and trying to fight the ever losing battle of trying to "win" against the racism of the society.

or

No way. Most attending here are from a minority background.

Plus, why deny yourself of meeting different people?

You know, unless they want you to come over to their booth or whathaveyou. :p

There's a part of me that understands the concept, but this feels a step too far.
From personal experience, being a black student dropped in the middle of an overwhelmingly white college campus can be very psychologically isolating. Depending on the student, that can be crippling factor in their education.
On the flip side, that's just the world we live in, and there came a point in time where I realized there are so many people there that were like me, despite being unlike me.
In the end, I feel the onus is on the student to pull others closer to them and create their own circles. For me, that was one of the end goals of the college experience.

It could be argued that the people asking for this change see that the world is giving them an "us vs. them" situation and are simply responding to that.

This doesn't help with anything, in fact it makes things worse since it cuts off social interactions. The should have never listen to student unions.

What's crazy is when I went to college, the amount of Blacks that came from predominantly Black areas and high schools, and the amount of Whites that came from predominantly White areas and high schools who had never had a friend of each other's race; actually were forced to meet and became friends as a result due to integrated dorm rooms and being roommates each other.

Part of the point of college is interacting with people from a plethora of backgrounds. To realize people are people.

Segregated houses, even voluntary, only harms that. It reinforces an idea of "us vs. them".

No racism reinforces the idea of "us vs them" much more effectively. Unfortunately they have plenty of time over the course of their careers to experience that unfiltered...

I don't need to pay US tuition fees to learn how to interact with people from other ethnic backgrounds. I can get a job at burger king in the city for that.

University is 1st and foremost about getting the best education you can get, and since ethnic minorities have it harder than their majority peers by default, I'd be focusing on making sure they preserve what hope they have at trying to succeed over anything else, if I were a student there or a parent of one.

jwhit28

As long as this doesn't bleed into group work and class makeup I don't think it will have that negative of an effect. During your career you will have to deal with the microaggressions and racially insensitive remarks, but it shouldn't be something you have to endure in your own home. In times before social media, maybe racist would change their mind upon meeting and living with minorities, but with the echo chamber of support from social media and thinking they have all the evidence they need to back up their stereotypes from clips on the internet I don't think that is likely anymore.

Mariolee

So people in here are so liberal that they are defending segregation. I'd never thought I would see the day.

Some people here are so scared of the word segregation they can't look at the specific context of the situation at hand.

See, it's easy to make patronizing inaccurate blanket statements.

I am so happy I went to college 15 years ago. Trigger words, safe spaces.....good god.

Now when I was at school I was often paired with a white roommate who had never really interacted with a black person. There were plenty of stupid questions and assumptions, but I hoped at the end of the year they learned something and had a better idea about black people beyond how popular media portrays us.

No way. Most attending here are from a minority background.

Plus, why deny yourself of meeting different people?

You know, unless they want you to come over to their booth or whathaveyou. :p

Why does living in separate campuses negate the opportunity to meet different people? You don't think the city is big enough for them to encounter and interact with other social groups?

Also I'm assuming this isn't segregation of classes or lectures either so I don't see the problem.

This isn't much different to living at home and going to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom