• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California State University Offers Community For Black Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think the whole "safe spaces" thing is going too far.

If you haven't noticed, out and proud racism is popular again. So I'm fine with this optional housing if black students don't want to deal with bullshit.
Also I encourage you to look at the relationships between blacks and whites in the rest of America before you sprout "Fuck Safe Spaces!" like you're a Breitbart editor.

Infinite

Some people here are so scared of the word segregation they can't look at the specific context of the situation at hand.

See, it's easy to make patronizing inaccurate blanket statements.
Also is hilarious considering how segregated the rest of America is. "This is going backwards!" well we've been going backwards for a while

Mariolee

What I want to know is if black people can choose to stay in the regular dorms or have to go into these new dorms. It sounds like the former?

Edit: rereading it definitely makes it apparent this is optional.

I am so happy I went to college 15 years ago. Trigger words, safe spaces.....good god.

Now when I was at school I was often paired with a white roommate who had never really interacted with a black person. There were plenty of stupid questions and assumptions, but I hoped at the end of the year they learned something and had a better idea about black people beyond how popular media portrays us.

This was my experience as well.

blakep267

I am so happy I went to college 15 years ago. Trigger words, safe spaces.....good god.

Now when I was at school I was often paired with a white roommate who had never really interacted with a black person. There were plenty of stupid questions and assumptions, but I hoped at the end of the year they learned something and had a better idea about black people beyond how popular media portrays us.
But you aren't going to college to be the magical negro friend who opens this guys eyes to the truth. Like I'm not here to teach you about black people. Why put that responsibility on a person. I'm just here to learn, party etc.

Having a housing option for students of color to easily live with each other is not a negative thing, especially if this is open to all students assuming people won't "troll" and apply to live there without be willing to have discussions about race relations and the student of color experience in college.

Slayven

But this does nothing to help that problem.

How so? Educate me.

So obviously the only solution is to make things even worse...

How does it make it worse?

From the second you enter the world as black you are beating the odds.

we live in a society that is structured from the top down to be openly hostile to us at best, seeks our death at worst. White people can op out of race and shit be totally fine but being black and brown you have to live it every waking moment you leave the house

Is that police man going to pull me over and kill me?

Why is that store clerk following me?

Did my application for a job get turned down because there is a comma in my name?

Did they just say ' I am so well spoken'?

at the end of the day some times you just want to go home eat some pringles in your underwear and not have to deal with corniness. Cause you and your roommate know the war is just outside the goddamn door.

Fuck out of here with blacks are the real racist bullshit

This was my experience as well.

Was it exhausting to have to combat white supremacy on a daily or near daily basis? Do you feel these students have a case by demanding a reprieve from those burdens?

Sounds like the same reason for segregated gender classes. Where do you draw the line?

To be clear, I don't condone this...

I just understand it...

And it's a lesser evil until the universal social challenges of racism are "solved".

Will this help solve it?.. Maybe...

If it can help turn around the success rates of minority college students and help their majority peers in the working world interact with them more (because now there's more minority qualified professionals out there) then maybe it will do some good...

I have no idea though..

Riddick

Who is it worse for? Is this hurting black people?

Since you edited let me be more specific. This "us vs them" attitude harms everyone, blacks, whites, latinos, everyone except the ruling class that wants us divided.

Unsurprisingly this safe space shit is being basically advertised by corporate media that is actively trying to disguise negative attitudes like that as "social liberalism", which it isn't btw. Just like everything else neoliberalism has co-opted everything that is decent in society and mutated it into an abomination they can manipulate the public with.

I find this ridiculous. Doesn't this just give the racist white people what they want?

Not sure if serious but I will still reply.

Wouldn't racist white people not want black students to be educated and not have a desired housing situation?

It sounds like black students are getting what they want. You will still have them in our class, and they get to live in a dorm room built for them.

Is this thread filled with a bunch of Caucasians being outraged for black students?

jwhit28

Having a housing option for students of color to easily live with each other is not a negative thing, especially if this is open to all students assuming people won't "troll" and apply to live there without be willing to have discussions about race relations and the student of color experience in college.

And can become a dangerous precedent though. What happens if white students start expecting and eventually intimidating you into living in the black only housing? What happens if the black housing starts falling behind in maintenance and upkeep? There are a lot of ways this can go bad, but it's hard to blame the current black students for just wanting a safe place to lay their head.

Dude Abides

Banned
It's not clear if "delegated" means "intended and focused around" (which was the case for minority-themed housing at my undergrad) or "strictly limited to" and I don't trust the Moonie Times to care, so I'll be withholding my righteous outrage for the moment.

But you aren't going to college to be the magical negro friend who opens this guys eyes to the truth. Like I'm not here to teach you about black people. Why put that responsibility on a person. I'm just here to learn, party etc.

?

I didnt go out of my way the dude was on the other side of the room. If I can casually enlighten the guy I'm living with who has never dealt with a black person its no big burden on my part. Expecially if it can help him expand his point of view instead of remaining ignorant because he never got to know anyone outside of his own cultural circle.

And can become a dangerous precedent though. What happens if white students start expecting and eventually intimidating you into living in the black only housing? What happens if the black housing starts falling behind in maintenance and upkeep? There are a lot of ways this can go bad, but it's hard to blame the current black students for just wanting a safe place to lay their head.

What happens if I go to PWI and someone calls me the N word? What happens if I deal with racism every single day?

What ifs aren't good arguments.

Who is it worse for? Is this hurting black people?

If black people (or any minority for that reason) begin self segregating, that certainly isn't going to change the hearts and minds of the people (i.e. white America) who they want to have treating them as full equals. You don't just take your ball and going home.

Since you edited let me be more specific. This "us vs them" attitude harms everyone, blacks, whites, latinos, everyone except the ruling class that wants us divided.

Unsurprisingly this safe space shit is being basically advertised by corporate media that is actively trying to disguise negative attitudes like that as "social liberalism", which it isn't btw. Just like everything else neoliberalism has co-opted everything that is decent in society and mutated it into an abomination they can manipulate the public with.

I don't even know how to respond to something so idiotic. You honestly don't think racism just doesn't exist and it's a narrative pushed by the corporations?

Thaedolus

Politics are like those old video games where if you go all the way to the left or right of the screen you somehow pop up on the opposite side. Regressive left meets racist right, good lord.

To be clear, I don't condone this...

I just understand it...

And it's a lesser evil until the universal social challenges of racism are "solved".

Will this help solve it?.. Maybe...

If it can help turn around the success rates of minority college students and help their majority peers in the working world interact with them more (because now there's more minority qualified professionals out there) then maybe it will do some good...

I have no idea though..

Sheltering minorities from this during college will only set them up to fail when they get into the real world. You will be working with predominantly white people no matter what profession you get into.

and let's not ignore the fact that this setup precludes black people from interacting with other races, such as Asians or Hispanics. The end result of this could be every single race having misconceptions about one another from the day they start college to the day they graduate.

What happens if I go to PWI and someone calls me the N word? What happens if I deal with racism every single day?

What ifs aren't good arguments.

They arent, but the what ifs you listed are fairly common occurences, and so are largely minority facilities getting treated like shit and ignored. It's not something that should just be handwaved away.

Riddick

I don't even know how to respond to something so idiotic. You honestly don't think racism just doesn't exist and it's a narrative pushed by the corporations?

What on earth are you talking about? Where the hell did I say that racism doesn't exist? Learn to discuss without ridiculous strawman arguments please.

entremet

History is really a complete circle.

As a minority, limiting your exposure to mainstream White America is detrimental. I've always been one of the few minorities in the jobs I've held. If I didn't feel comfortable or familiar with that world, my professional life would've suffered.

Mariolee

I would consider the generalization of all other races as racist.

Hohohoh my friend, then you have the wrong definition of racism.

Racism is defined from a quick Google as

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

The key words here being "inferior or superior." In this case the Black Student Union is not presenting themselves as inferior or superior. They just simply want a safe space as an OPTION.

Yeah like, on the face of it "Boo hoo! Segregation is bad!"

But if I were a Cali State University student from a minority background, which would I prefer:

1. Spending my entire college career dealing with what appears to be an obvious cultural problem with racism, having to be demoralized and demotivated by my ethnic majority peers, and trying to fight the ever losing battle of trying to "win" against the racism of the society.

or

2. Settle in a safer, more constructive, more inclusive, more conducive environment, where I'm encouraged and promoted to do well, so I can focus on getting a decent education.

Hell, I know what option I'd choose. every. single. time.

This. Female only floors/living arrangements aren't new, so I can't see why this would be a huge deal

Was it exhausting to have to combat white supremacy on a daily or near daily basis? Do you feel these students have a case by demanding a reprieve from those burdens?

LOL I mean I think it starts making people fragile. It's one thing to create systems of support, it's another thing to create a space to completely shield you from the realities of the world.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm not really a fan of this.

That said, it's hilarious seeing people in here acting like this is "bringing segregation back", as if the neighborhoods students are coming from aren't segregated as fuck already.

Slayven

Sheltering minorities from this during college will only set them up to fail when they get into the real world. You will be working with predominantly white people no matter what profession you get into.

and let's not ignore the fact that this setup precludes black people from interacting with other races, such as Asians or Hispanics. The end result of this could be every single race having misconceptions about one another from the day they start college to the day they graduate.
History is really a complete circle.

As a minority, limiting your exposure to mainstream White America is detrimental. I've always been one of the few minorities in the jobs I've held. If I didn't feel comfortable or familiar with that world, my professional life would've suffered.

Bullshit, tell me one place in America where a black person can go their entire life without encountering someone of another race.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If there are people committing "microagressions" that should be dealt with directly.

Infinite

When white people choose to live in communities amongst themselves:

"Well self segregation is gonna happen"
"There's nothing wrong with people living among others that look like them"
"It's natural"

When black people request safe spaces:

"This is going backwards"
"Blacks are the real racists"
"MLK is turning in his grave now"

Mariolee

This is a regressive solution.

The better solution is just to kick out the racist people causing the problem to begin with.

But the issue is schools can't find and kick out the racist people until they've done a racist thing, and at that point it's already too late as the offensive action has already been done.

entremet

Bullshit, tell me one place in America where a black person can go their entire life without encountering someone of another race.

There's a huge difference between encountering others and working with them, solving problems, negotiating, developing win win solutions. Huge difference.

Sorry, but your analysis is pretty shallow.

"It's natural"

Many non white posters are speaking up against this. Thanks for shitting on them though!

Rayis

I don't see the big outrage about this tbh, a place for poc to be with other poc and hopefully away from racism, I don't see what 's so bad about it.

"It's natural"

This is all that we need to say.

God forbid me for wanting to live with my fellow black students on campus, to be guaranteed housing with them to better our black community.

I'm tired of people acting outraged for the betterment of blacks. Even if minorities are outraged this is obviously something requested.

Many non white posters are speaking up against this. Thanks for shitting on them though!

He never said non-white people aren't opposed. He is addressing the mentality of white vs black segregation.

Did you even read his post?

Slayven

There's a huge difference between encountering others and working with them, solving problems, negotiating, developing win win solutions. Huge difference.

again where black people do all that without interacting with white people?

Rosewood?

Black Wallstreet?

We make up 12 percent of the population

Often times MUCH less than that at college and jobs

Im fine with having a white roommate as a black man but it's not my job to be the magical negro for every white dude that's never met a black dude before.

Im in (was in I guess) school to graduate not teach. I dont feel like having to be a teacher in my own home, let alone because you feel like it's my duty to educate him. Fuck you.

I support this for people who want to do it since it's optional. It's not like they're segregating classes, it's where they live. It's not always about changing hearts and minds sometimes you just want to be fucking comfortable.

I'm so over this narrative that if black people dont want to always be teaching white people that we're fucking people it's regressive, sorry not sorry.

*grumbles*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom