• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4 - Meet the Maniacs(AKA psychopaths) + new infected

MAtgS

So the bosses are basically of the Shadow of Mordor nemesis variety or something like that? They practically look procedurally generated.

Really not sure how you're getting that.

It's pretty clear. Previous Psychopaths were actual characters, had names beyond "Crazy Claus" and very standout designs. All the "Maniacs" here very obviously looked like remotely altered enemy survivors also shown in the video. Heck, they even looked like they were just wearing themed costumes Frank can likely acquire upon beating them or in the game world. A far cry from the Bosses in previous games. I do doubt they are procedural though.

MAtgS

It's pretty clear. Previous Psychopaths were actual characters, had names beyond "Crazy Claus" and very standout designs. All the "Maniacs" here very obviously looked like remotely altered enemy survivors also shown in the video. Heck, they even looked like they were just wearing themed costumes Frank can likely acquire upon beating them or in the game world. A far cry from the Bosses in previous games. I do doubt they are procedural though.

The Santa boss looks like when a regular survivor was an enemy in DR1's Infinity mode: A basic AI to use their equipped weapon & not much else to it.

Fighting the Psychopaths in the previous games was fun, because they were characters that often brought out the fun dumb humor of the series...These guys don't look like characters...

Fighting a psychotic mall Santa isn't fun if he's not a character...

The Santa boss looks like when a regular survivor was an enemy in DR1's Infinity mode: A basic AI to use their equipped weapon & not much else to it.

Yeah, now that you mention it I fully agree. Good observation! Gotta say, I had hope for Dead Rising 4 (I still kinda do) but this is getting more and more disappointing.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I love the casual and humorous approach to the serious circumstances.

I think I'll pick it up at release now.

Ah man, definitely get the generic vibe too. Discovering good optional psychopaths is what defined Dead Rising for me. This is incredibly disappointing if DR4 doesn't adequately compensate for the lack of meaningful bizarre character encounters elsewhere.

Weird seeing so many hate on the game when it looks like it might be the first one I'll even bother buying.

Maybe people enjoyed the older games and felt like they didn't need to change? Not everything is going to appeal to everyone and thats ok but these games had an audience so its easy to see why people are upset at such drastic changes.

DR2, OTR and 3 were all great games. If they make one turd after three gold bars then they get a free pass from me, as long as they acknowledge what they did wrong and go back to the good stuff from there.
That isn't much of a track record worth talking about after all these years of their involvement. DR2 is largely good but flawed in numerous ways despite the improvements it brought on board, OTR is merely a minor remix where maybe 5% of an existing template was changed and 3 is a bipolar travesty of a sequel that started (much like 4) forsaking nearly all the elements that made the series interesting, all the while having awful technical performance too regardless of platform. "Three gold bars" is a massive stretch, considering their all-new games without supervision from outside directors or whatnot are a sham.

They're also certainly not acknowledging what they did wrong, because Capcom Vancouver can't even listen to themselves if you look at the flip-flopping they've been doing design-wise with 4.

Top Bottom