• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameXplain: Is Zelda: BotW on Switch Smoother in Handheld Mode? Direct Comparison,

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t2uY91kyg

I thought this deserved its own topic as it's more on Zelda's technical qualities with an in-depth demonstration rather than just words, and away from just a preview. A direct comparison of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Switch on TV vs Handheld mode from GameXplain that goes more in-depth on the topic.

What do you guys think of the results? I'm curious if Nintendo will respond to this at all.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, is it? A summary in the OP would be nice.

I like to keep people guessing.

By a pretty large marigin, apparently in TV mode the game has quite a few dips into low 20s and possible below, especially in areas with grass and the gameplay getting notably choppy while the handheld remains pretty consistent, though dips may be infrequent. In the early areas, it looks like the grass or plant foliage of all things has heavy performance hits in TV mode.

bomblord1

Banned
Would like to see a DF level analysis.

I mean it looks awful on the initial run down the hill. Like I was able to stand sub 20fps vita games without complaint and that got to me. Something is clearly wrong there. Is it a one off thing? Is it limited to that area? Does it only happen sometimes? Is it a streaming issue? Can/will it be fixed in an update? How frequent is it? What framerate is actually being hit or is it a frame pacing issue?

By a pretty large marigin, apparently in TV mode the game has quite a few dips into low 20s and possible below, especially in areas with grass and the gameplay getting notably choppy while the handheld remains pretty consistent, though dips may be infrequent.

Fixed this for you.

The Lamp

So I guess I'm buying the Switch version for portable Zelda and the Wii U version for console Zelda.

I often hate being a Nintendo fan.

Aonuma

Shit, I was really hoping the janky framerate in TV mode for the opening grassy area would be fixed in the release version of the game. :/

So I guess I'm buying the Switch version for portable Zelda and the Wii U version for console Zelda.

I mean that's your weirdass problem, reviewers have been playing the game for days now in TV mode so it's certainly playable.

It probably performs better in docked mode than it does on Wii U. It definitely runs better than the Wii U version did at E3, according to Digital Foundry.

I can dream if I want a comparison with the Wii U version before the game comes out.

Well, I don't care, I'm getting it on Wii U anyway.

Griss

I was very disappointed that the Switch could only push a Wii U port (which is what this is) at 900p. To hear that it has dips into the low 20s at 900p? That's just awful.

And yet as bad as that is, the performance of a Wii U port on a handheld at 720p is equally as impressive.

I just have to keep repeating to myself "It's their new handheld, it's their new handheld" and I'll remain absolutely amazed by this device. When I look at it as the Wii U's successor, on the other hand... not good.

The Lamp

I mean that's your weirdass problem, reviewers have been playing the game for days now in TV mode so it's certainly playable.

Framerate issues in a game that has basically been finished since last year is not my "weirdass" problem.

Btw I'm not serious about buying a Wii U version
unless it really does have better framerate lol

Wollan

By a pretty large marigin, apparently in TV mode the game has quite a few dips into low 20s and possible below, especially in areas with grass and the gameplay getting notably choppy while the handheld remains pretty consistent, though dips may be infrequent. In the early areas, it looks like the grass or plant foliage of all things has heavy performance hits in TV mode.
Ouch.

Pinky

Banned
Shit, I was really hoping the janky framerate in TV mode for the opening grassy area would be fixed in the release version of the game. :/

image.php

Framerate issues in a game that has basically been finished since last year is not my "weirdass" problem.
It's your weirdass problem that you expect the Wii U version would perform better.

That said, I'm now hearing that frame rate issues become less frequent outside the Plataeu, oddly enough.

Top Bottom