• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timer for Planescape appears. Expires Monday

Wizards of the Coast recently has been drawing attention to this.

www.planescape.com

A timer which is obviously linked to Planescape. It expires in 4 days of this post.

What do you guys think this is going to be? I personally don't think it's going to be an updated version of Planescape for 5e... since WotC has been pretty conservative with 5e material and Tales of the Yawning Portal isn't even out yet. They like hyping up source books as big releases.

New Planescape game is my guess. I know the original os a cult classic.

I'm not terribly familiar with the setting. What's it like?

Some remaster or remake-type business? Why mess with a working thing, let alone make a sequel to something that barely anyone, relatively speaking, has played.

Does WotC own the rights to the original game?

It's probably going to be an extended edition remaster like its other Infinity Engine D&D brethren got. Which is good because I would definitely buy it again.

CHC

I kind of doubt it's anything to do with the video game if it's through Wizards. Seems like a pen and paper product, especially given the complete lack of rumors / buzz about anything related to Planescape: Torment.

JC Sera

I kind of doubt it's anything to do with the video game if it's through Wizards. Seems like a pen and paper product, especially given the complete lack of rumors / buzz about anything related to Planescape: Torment.
Pretty much this ^
Its going to be bringing planescape to 5e

Some remaster or remake-type business? Why mess with a working thing, let alone make a sequel to something that barely anyone, relatively speaking, has played.

Does WotC own the rights to the original game?

I imagine they do. I mean, it's part of dnd.

But copyright law is fucked so who knows

DVG0T0e.png

Interesting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I remember talking with a couple of the guys at Beamdog a couple years back, and even then they were saying that all anyone asked about was Planescape Enhanced Edition. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if this is what that was.

Nzyme32

Enhanced Edition incoming....

I'll probably end up buying it, though I'm very curious what they alter / enhance vs the mods I've been using. Will half my Planescape playthrough to get a look at this... assuming it is what I think.

If it is a new game or something, I'm also interested

Spacejaws

If it means anything the Beamdog(team behind the infinity enhanced editions) forums did an online applications for beta testing some new secret project and they are all under NDA's at the moment.

Everybody over there is wondering what it could be but they are all over tight lipped. Unfortunately I did not get in :(

How is Planescape different from Baldur's Gate?
Planescape is far more focused on roleplaying and narrative than BG is. Also the Planes are a much more fantastical and strange setting than Baldur's Gate more Tolkein-esque world of Faerun. The combat sucks, but Planescape's narrative and roleplaying still has few rivals nearly 20 years later. It is a fantastic game and a must play.

Spacejaws

How is Planescape different from Baldur's Gate?

Planescape is less combat focused and more about dialogue and story focused. You're character is integral to the story and less customizable. Very rich lore based on the planescape setting with is heavy with the idea of dimension hopping. Unlike BG with Faerun and heavy medieval fantasy setting Torment is set in the city of Sigil which is full of portals to other planes/dimensions which makes it a bit more 'out there'. Great cast aswell with lotsa talky talky.

Honestly Beamdogs original efforts for BG have been getting better and better in my book, they are definetly improving. My opinion is that if any extras are optional like Black Pits, extra NPC's then I'm fine with it as there's no need to force yourself through it. Torment does have a few incomplete quests that could do with being available. Although I'm in the camp that believes the new content for BG gets heavily shat on more than it deserves.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd be all for Planescape 5e but I'd be worried they would have the Faction War be canon.

Planescape is far more focused on roleplaying and narrative than BG is. Also the Planes are a much more fantastical and strange setting than Baldur's Gate more Tolkein-esque world of Faerun. The combat sucks, but Planescape's narrative and roleplaying still has few rivals nearly 20 years later. It is a fantastic game and a must play.

I don't know if I'd describe Toril (or at least the Sword Coast) as Tolkien-esque. I mean, yeah Forgotten Realms is much more... I dunno vanilla? setting. But it very much still has it's own flavor.

It's got some weird shit going on, just sayin

AndrewPL

What is beamdog working on? Haven't heard much since the baldurs gate expansion.

Edit: I'm expecting a remake plus expansion for this.

I don't know if I'd describe Toril (or at least the Sword Coast) as Tolkien-esque. I mean, yeah Forgotten Realms is much more... I dunno vanilla? setting. But it very much still has it's own flavor.

With Sigil and the Planes weird shit is always going on pretty much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Its much crazier than Tolkien, that for sure. Focusing on one area on one continent for most of the most well known games certainly doesnt help this image.

Dsyndrome

I'm all for replaying Planescape with QOL enhancements and achievements. If it ends up being something else, I'll just continue my replay with mods I started last month.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wonder if they're going to try their hand at new content if this is true.
Good luck if they do.

I'd only be okay with this if MCA and McComb had more to add. Otherwise you risk adding bloat to a thematically tight story. Same as if some tried to expand on MotB with new quests and such. They arent the same type of story as BG, which can allow to all types of additional content without problems.

finley83

Banned
Of all the infinity engine games, PST would benefit most from an enhanced edition. It's the most difficult to get running well on modern systems. Hopefully that's what this is.

IWD2 is also pretty difficult. At least PS:T can be modded to support widescreen resolutions without breaking the toolbar. Also IWD2 crashes at a specific point if you're not running it at 640x480 I believe.

Wonder if they're going to try their hand at new content if this is true.
Good luck if they do.
if they're going to change or add anything aside from the cut missions that got brought back through fan patches they should just redo the Curst/Baator combat sections, because pretty much everyone agrees that they're shit.

Spacejaws

What is beamdog working on? Haven't heard much since the baldurs gate expansion.

Edit: I'm expecting a remake plus expansion for this.

Nobody really knows. They are having trouble getting the latest patch and the expansion on IOS. People suspect it's because the contract means it has to be DLC and there not sure how to do that on mobile with the App sizes and such.

Other than that they have said they are working on their 'next' game. People have guessed Icewind Dale 2, a possible Baldur's Gate 2 expansion based of Return to Windspear as they recruited the original modders I believe, they've got David Gaider onboard asking a bunch of questions in the forums making people think he is working on a new Baldur's Gate people are calling BG Next, Neverwinter Nights remaster was rumoured and shot down and Planescape Torment has been rumoured since Beamdog started and they've certainly been gushing over the game for years.

Other than that they had a project name called 'project bear' I think that was supposed to be a free to play game that they've decided against. And well i think thats it they have been very quiet since Seige of Dragonspear.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
IWD2 is also pretty difficult. At least PS:T can be modded to support widescreen resolutions without breaking the toolbar. Also IWD2 crashes at a specific point if you're not running it at 640x480 I believe.

IWD2 is doubly difficult as they have to rewrite all the rules in their EE engine for D&D 3E, which given the tepid sales of IWD:EE seems unlikely to occur.

Spacejaws

IWD2 is doubly difficult as they have to rewrite all the rules in their EE engine for D&D 3E, which given the tepid sales of IWD:EE seems unlikely to occur.

Yea that's quite sad as all the complaints people had for Baldur's Gate EE's about being pushed out too early was not the case of Icewind Dale. It ran really well on release and added some really cool things like extra random weapons and character/race/class specific dialogues with certain characters (go a barbarian and you'll get a bunch. Bards too!)

But the sales are pretty lackluster in comparison. Honestly that's why I never expected to see planescape tormet enchanced edition because it never sold well the first time round either.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yea that's quite sad as all the complaints people had for Baldur's Gate EE's about being pushed out too early was not the case of Icewind Dale. It ran really well on release and added some really cool things like extra random weapons and character/race/class specific dialogues with certain characters (go a barbarian and you'll get a bunch. Bards too!)

But the sales are pretty lackluster in comparison. Honestly that's why I never expected to see planescape tormet enchanced edition because it never sold well the first time round either.

Torment has been in GOG top sellers list since its release. I think its one of the best selling games on the service.

Spacejaws

I wonder if this means we're getting an iPad version

I would say almost undoubtably. I think Wizards were really pleased with the mobile sales. I'd say at this point it is legitimately the only reason these games got the OK in the first place.

Torment has been in GOG top sellers list since its release. I think its one of the best selling games on the service.

Yea good point lol. Just looked at Icewind Dale EE at it's pretty low on the list #116 while Torment is all the way up at #24. I guess the masses just hate Icewind Dale :'(

ZzzZombi

Neo Member
I'm down with an enhanced edition PST but they should just include bug fixes and the usual GUI - resolution choice. Also, mobile versions could be nice for people who prefer. No added content, no tempering with the story etc.

I would buy a remaster of Planescape in a heart beat. I'd also buy a supplement for bringing Planescape to D&D 5. So basically, I'm pumped for that timer to end :)

Top Bottom