• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Snakepass full tech analysis

bomblord1

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7Rn9YUXm8

Key Points
30% of GPU time is reserved for grass rendering
Complex Physics System for the Snake including weight, friction, and muscles.
The world is lit entirely in real time with high quality meshes used throughout.
The highest quality lighting level is used across all platforms

Switch:
Team was given early access to switch features
Game was running at a basic level in 2 days
Patch improves Shadow Maps and brings them in line (maybe even a little bit sharper) with the PS4 version.
Patch adds DOF to handheld cutscenes
Framepacing issues are still present and additional issues were found in later levels.

Xbox One:
Resolution Parity with PS4 release 30fps.
Subtle difference in AA quality compared to PS4
Double the loading time (of the PS4 version)
Missing some water effects (similar to switch)
Higher apparent grass density than the PS4 version
Visuals mostly the same

PS4 Pro:
Basic visual settings are identical to PS4.
Adds 2 display modes: 4K and Standard
4K Mode resolution: 2688x1512 at 30 FPS. Looks more refined compared to standard 1440p due to good temporal AA.
Standard Mode: 1080p/60 FPS.
Majority of game (as much as they've played) sticks to 60 FPS, one specific level has minor dips.

PC:
Low loses most effects
Medium and beyond is a matter of refinement with all effects present just in varying degrees of detail.
Medium-High Equivalent to consoles
Beefy Cards needed for high resolutions and 60fps (980ti does not maintain 60fp at 1440p)

Though the game may look simple there is a lot going on under the hood and the game is actually very demanding. A lot here I recommend watching the entire thing. A showdown between PS4/Switch is in another video.

Ridley327

The game has a really great level of consistency with its aesthetics, so I'm not shocked to hear that it's doing a lot under the hood to help achieve it.

Zedark

Ah, you beat me to it! Here's some extra points from the video (spoiler tagged for those who don't want to know beforehand):

- Snake Pass a deceptively simple game, with complicated physics for the snake's body, and custom-made grass and grass interaction!
- Switch patch adds shadows and depth of field, frame rate has some issues (lowest is 25 fps at one point) and frame pacing is still there;
- Xbox One has same 864p resolution as PS4, features only few decreases in effects, for example in water ripple shaders, performance is solid at 30 fps;
- PS4 Pro has two modes: 4K runs at 1512p at 30 fps, other mode is 1080p 60 fps (with some drops in some areas);
- Several PC comparisons, please watch for all differences, but general judgment is that it is a very well-done version on PC.

-shadow-

That's pretty interesting! I'm still curious about the game, but the videos themselves look rather 'meh'. Is there a demo?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You beat me to by just a minute OP :p

Why did they not include the PS4 Pro?

It's in the video, OP hasn't had time to update it yet.

As per the video, some info on the Pro version:

PS4 Pro:
- Basic visual settings are identical to PS4.
- Adds 2 display modes: 4K and Standard
- 4K Mode resolution: 2688x1512 at 30 FPS. Looks more refined compared to standard 1440p due to good temporal AA.
- Standard Mode: 1080p/60 FPS.
- Majority of game (as much as they've played) sticks to 60 FPS, one specific level has minor dips.

John mentions that the 4K mode has no frame pacing issues according to the calculators but to his eyes there's some jank, similar to Dishonored 2.

I didn't notice it in the video myself personally.

Strange differences on xbone version. Same res as ps4, but missing effects on the water however there are more grass.

And huge loading times for whatever reason.

Marmelade

Kinda weird that they couldn't hit a higher resolution on PS4 given that the XBox One version is basically identical

Zedark

Strange differences on xbone version. Same res as ps4, but missing effects on the water however there are more grass.

And huge loading times for whatever reason.

Yeah, the grass is very strange. There was also more grass on the Switch version compared to the PS4 version, wonder what that is about...

bomblord1

Banned

PS4 Pro:
- 4K Mode resolution: 2688x1512 at 30 FPS. Looks more refined compared to standard 1440p due to good temporal AA.
- Majority of game (as much as they've played) sticks to 60 FPS, one specific level has minor dips.

John mentions that the 4K mode has no frame pacing issues according to the calculators but to his eyes there's some jank, similar to Dishonored 2.

Thanks for the summary adding

SomTervo

Really interesting, well done to the devs.

You can really tell Noodle's physics are legit by the way he falls/slaps off things. The sense of weight is on point, even if movement itself feels less realistic ('gameified') to an extent.

That's pretty interesting! I'm still curious about the game, but the videos themselves look rather 'meh'. Is there a demo?

It's really nice and engaging to play, videos won't do it justice.

Don't think there's a demo on consoles, but maybe check out PC?

It's got a very modular level based structure so is prime for a demo. A lot of people would be sold with a demo, I think.

PS4 Pro:

Oh...really? I swear I watched the entire video :/

Must have turned away before the end, thanks for the rundown anyway.

I thought both are using ue4?

Yooka-Laylee uses Unity.

PS4 Pro version with 60fps for me. Would love to play it on the Switch in portable mode and I tried it but somehow it feels very jarring playing it with sub30fps at times. I love the fluidity on the Pro. Might pick up the Switch version later for a discounted price, though.

PS4, XO and Switch in docked mode are no options for me. Sub 1080p and 30fps.

Up and running in 3 days... Take note Playtonic...

Up and running doesn't mean release quality.
They use a different engine.
They had early access to Switch and hence probably got a lot of help from Nintendo who wanted this game on Switch.

Not sure what your comment is trying to achieve.

Ridley327

Up and running doesn't mean release quality.
They use a different engine.
They had early access to Switch and hence probably got a lot of help from Nintendo who wanted this game on Switch.

Not sure what your comment is trying to achieve.

Wasn't the decision to drop the Wii U version of Y-K for Switch pretty late in development, too?

CrisKre

I'm trully amazed at how well the Switch version holds up. Great job by the team, and bodes well for the future of the system.

Protome

I picked this up because I finished all my Switch games and it...was kinda the only new one...

Was surprised by how much I've been enjoying it and indeed how nice it looks on the Switch. Damn good job all around, it's impressive to see how well it holds up when compared directly with the PS4 version.

I thought both are using ue4?

Yooka Laylee is Unity.

Ridley327

Great video.

There should be no technical reason why Switch can't receive downports of every UE4 game released on PS4 and Xbox One.

It bodes really well for DQXI's potential on the platform, especially since that's not doing anything nearly as physics-driven as what we see in Snake Pass.

Zedark

It's really interesting to see how many physical interactions the games pushes. I thought the grass was stationary with respect to Noodle, but apparently it even interact with the snake itself! Fully eating crow on this one sporting sloppy optimisation, seems like it is a computationally demanding game after all!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cool video

I always think it's neat when small studios make games like this that are understated but quite technically accomplished. Makes for an interesting dive

Game looks cool too but I'm not sure it'll be my thing. May give it a go once it's on sale.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some of the posters in the Face-Off thread were really shameful on the resolution matter. BLAH BLAH IF HORIZON CAN DO 1080P BLAH BLAH and all that nonsense.
Yeah, I was disappointed to see those comments as well. :\

It's really interesting to see how many physical interactions the games pushes. I thought the grass was stationary with respect to Noodle, but apparently it even interact with the snake itself! Fully eating crow on this one sporting sloppy optimisation, seems like it is a computationally demanding game after all!
Right? All that grass, the physics and entirely real-time lighting doesn't come cheap!

The only slightly baffling thing for me is the massive gap between PS4 and PS4 Pro - it's a lot wider than we usually see. Based on pre-release footage, I'm starting to think the PS4 version was created to hit 60fps but just wasn't getting there. Early PS4 footage was uncapped but unstable. Maybe the resolution was selected for that reason? Just thinking out loud there as I really don't know.

Some of the posters in the Face-Off thread were really shameful on the resolution matter. BLAH BLAH IF HORIZON CAN DO 1080P BLAH BLAH and all that nonsense.

Epic Games released an update for Paragon (using UE4) yesterday that rendered grass as seen in Snake Pass, however it is not available on the og ps4, only ps4 pro and pc high settings have it, shows how demanding it is

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Unreal has always hit the GPU really hard. I think with fewer big titles using it these days people don't realize just how much grunt it needs.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've switched to playing the PS Pro version at 1080p. It looks nice at the higher resolution, but the AA is good enough on standard that it isn't worth sacrificing 60 fps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Epic Games released an update for Paragon (using UE4) yesterday that rendered grass as seen in Snake Pass, however it is not available on the og ps4, only ps4 pro and pc high settings have it, shows how demanding it is

Very cool

I love how Epic implements features like this into the core UE4 as their partners make improvements. Having them supporting a service game also helps speed up that process.

Top Bottom