• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top Ten Most Anticipated Games of E3 2017

Perhaps even bigger than E3 itself, the week before is full of articles, news reports, and endless speculation that builds an insane amount of hype in the heart of any gamer. But perhaps more than any of those articles, the one I miss most is GameTrailers' Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of E3, where Brandon Jones's dulcet tones would speak on all of the known major titles for the biggest week in gaming, and just get me more and more excited.

Obviously, GameTrailers isn't around anymore, but I figured – why should that stop us? So I want YOUR top 10 most anticipated games of E3. And I'll get it started!

Some Ground Rules: The game must be announced, or practically announced (leaked so much that everyone knows it is coming). So nothing like “the new game from Retro”, because we don't know if it will even be there, or what it is, or Halo 6, because it's been confirmed it won't be there. Other than that, fair game.

Honorable Mentions: Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, Death Stranding, Uncharted: Lost Legacy

10. Assassin's Creed Origins

Ubisoft's seminal franchise was desperately in need of a year off, with a range of multiplayer-focused titles and glitched-up gameplay putting a severe strain on the gameplay. Now it has return, and while the title is arguably the most cliched they could have gone with (was Assassin's Creed Unleashed taken?) the fact that this looks to be a return to form for the franchise that will potentially raise the curtain on revealing some of the franchise's biggest mysteries is enough for lapsed fans like myself to jump back into the hay bale.

9. Mario x Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Nintendo farming out their characters to other developers is nothing new, but this is the first time that the company has ever teamed up with a Western developer to create a full-blown adventure title in the Mario universe. While the Rabbids characters are passe at best, the promise of a new turn-based RPG that combines the irreverent humor both series are known for with unique new gameplay makes me very excited.

8. Call of Duty: WWII

“Returning to their roots” is certainly an ongoing theme this E3, and perhaps no franchise is doing it moreso than Call of Duty, bringing things back to the events that started it all in World War II. While it certainly feels a bit like Activision is aping a bit of EA and DICE's style after the success of Battlefield 1, the ability to experience some of the most iconic battles of the war, including the famed events of D-Day, as they have never been experienced before has me locked and loaded.

7. Final Fantasy VII Remake/Kingdom Hearts 3

I'm lumping these two together as chances are very good that if we see one, we will see the other, and also that they are arguably in the same situation – the most two highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY anticipated titles from the biggest RPG developer on the planet, with a ravenous fanbase counting the days until their release. And while a redux of arguably the greatest RPG ever made and the latest installment in the saga of Sora have us chomping at the big, hoping that Tetsuya Nomura will make an appearance at Sony's E3 presser, the chances against it are higher than the chances for, which is why this is so low on the list. But still, if it happens, watch out for flying fanboys.

6. Super Mario Odyssey

With the afterglow of the Switch's successful launch in the rear view and Zelda's novelty starting to wear off, it's time for the console to get a dose of that signature Nintendo magic. Look no further than Mario, whose titles have frequently set new standards in the gaming industry for platformers, to bring the fun with a new title that takes the beloved hero to the real world as he battles familiar enemies and new foes. With the game already being announced as the crux of Nintendo's E3 2017 showing, we're hoping we won't be regretting our Switch purchases just a couple months in.

5. Star Wars Battlefront II

A short time ago in a galaxy not so far away, DICE's take on one of the most beloved Star Wars received criticism for its lack of a story mode and solely multiplayer-focused gameplay. Not so with the sequel, which promises to take all three trilogies and mix them together to create an epic single-player storyline, as well as provide access to the most legendary battles in the series. The force is strong with this one. (obvious statement is obvious)

4. Destiny 2

Bungie's first post-Halo project proved to be an enormous success, merging the worlds of FPS and MMORPG and creating a unique world that effortlessly fused sci-fi and fantasy in a way not seen since Warhammer. Now, a much greater emphasis on story and the series' classic customization, as well as the promise of unseen worlds in the Destiny universe, is getting us very excited to see what's next.

3. Xbox Scorpio

Okay, yeah, I'm cheating a bit by putting hardware on the list, but it's my list, so screw it. Microsoft's entire E3 showing lives and dies by how well Scorpio is received, and Microsoft has been very coy on the details, considering it a true successor to the Xbox One rather than merely a 4k upgrade a la the PS4 Pro. This E3 will be the first chance we get to hear the final specs of the console, but more importantly, how good games look when played on it, and it will be very interesting to compare and contrast upcoming titles to games already available on the PS4 Pro. It'll also be interesting for Xbox One adopters with no plans to upgrade just yet (such as myself), to see what these games will look like and how they will be gimped (if at all) when played on earlier systems.

2. God of War

Kratos's return got arguably the biggest positive reaction at E3 2016, and expects to make a big splash this year as well with a new take on the character set in Norse mythology, and taking perhaps more than a little inspiration from Skyrim – though we aren't complaining. After having experienced the character of Kratos across many years, a more mature, damaged god awaits us with the new installment promising a much darker tone, and the introduction of Kratos' son Atreus, something that could be inspired by the changes in God of War fans over the last 12 years since the first title's release, the kids who were 17-20 back then are now in their 30s or close to it, and likely starting to have kids of their own – an interesting parallel that gets us excited to see how the fallen hero will once again have to defy the odds.

1. The Last of Us Part 2

Moreso than any other game of last generation, I was most enthralled by Naughty Dog's classic the last of us, combining a heart-warming story of family with elements of action, adventure, and survival horror that was equal parts enthralling and tense, and made for a perfect capstone to the last generation of consoles. With only a short trailer showing Joel and a grown-up Ellie to go on, we don't know too much about this game, only that a grown-up Ellie will be the main character, and the story is expected to be much, much darker. Personally, I'm hoping for a more open-ended structure to the game, and perhaps some sandbox-style gameplay, if we even see anything on the game at all considering the game has only started the development process. But when hope is all we have, that's usually enough.

13ruce

Banned
Seeing Scorpio instead of any Xbox first party game so high is kinda funny in a way...

Edit: oh sorry i thought it was a top 10 for counted votes on gaf... Silly me

Edit 2:
Here is mine:
10: Scorpio.
9: Xbox One first party games (new IP plz)
8. Last of Us 2.
7. God of War IV.
6. Arms and Splatoon 2 (already know alot otherwise they would be near 1)
5. Assassins Creed Origins.
4. Kingdom Hearts 3.
3. Red Dead Redemption (or does it skip e3:/?)
2. Zelda Story DLC and more Nintendo footage of upcoming Switch Games.
1. Mario Odyssey.

If scorpio is cool and microsoft announce some new first party games i will buy it, otherwise i will get a xbox one s on black friday.

Platy

As with every E3, I want to see new stuff.

The less predictable the best

You're joking, right?

It is family friendly coop XCOM

It has it's appeal even with rabbids =P

HELL !

It is family friendly coop XCOM that you probably KILL rabbids !

Kieli

I have no idea what's even gonna be at E3, much less make a top 10. They are running an airtight ship this time!

Mario Odyssey, Spiderman, God of War and honestly it'd be nice to get surprises besides that. Nothing else off the top of my head is exciting me unless I got surprise cyberpunk.

sense

God of war and spiderman are my most anticipated. Not expecting tlou part 2 but that would be huge too

Bishop89

Dragon Quest XI
Call of Duty: WWII
Gran Turismo Sport
Wipeout Omega Collection
Yakuza Kiwami
Spider-Man
Star Wars Battlefront II
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
God of war

Permanently A

10. #SPIDERMANPS4
9. #SPIDERMANPS4
8. #SPIDERMANPS4
7. #SPIDERMANPS4
6. #SPIDERMANPS4
5. #SPIDERMANPS4
4. #SPIDERMANPS4
3. #SPIDERMANPS4
2. #SPIDERMANPS4
1. #SPIDERMANPS4

Haunting Ground 2
The Evil Within 2
Demon Souls Remaster
Resident Evil 2
Bloodborne 2
A new Platinum game
Shenmue III
Project Rap Rabbit

Simo

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. God of War
3. Spider-Man
4. Assassin's Creed Origins
5. New Ubi IP
6. Detroit
7. Wolfenstein New Colossus
8. Days Gone
9. Cyberpunk 2077
10. Red Dead Redemption 2 I guess but doubt it'll be there.

Gaspard

1) Pikmin 4
2) Super Mario Odyssey
3) Xenoblade 2
4) New Platinum Game
5) Monster Hunter XX Localization
6) Pokemon Stars
7) Spiderman PS4
8) Shin Megami Tensei HD Project
9) Ni no Kuni II
10) Smash port

Announced:

Super Mario Odyssey
Death Stranding
Cuphead
God of War
Spider-Man
Cyberpunk 2077 (but won't be there I think)
Days Gone
The Last Night
Wolfenstein The New Colossus
Death's Gambit

willbsn13

10. Far Cry 5
9. GT Sport
8. The Crew 2
7. Cuphead
6. Star Wars Battlefront 2
5. State of Decay 2
4. Sea of Thieves
3. Insomniac Spiderman
2. Crackdown 3
1. Forza 7

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Fire Emblem Switch
3. Platinum Games' New Title for Switch
4. Xenoblade 2
5. The Last of Us 2
6. Pokemon Stars if it shows up

Honestly, I'm not that particularly excited for anything outside these games. And half of them haven't even been announced really (FE Switch sorta counts I guess but goddammit IS stop teasing me).

1. Super Smash Bros. for Switch

Nothing ever compares to the hype cycle for a new Smash Bros. game and all the cards seem to be aligning for one to be announced at E3. This could be the only game announcement at the entire conference and that would be more than enough for it to rule.

2. Super Mario Odyssey

As much as I loved 3D World, this is the game that I think has the potential to evoke the same feeling I had when I first played Galaxy and 64. Odyssey's worlds and overall structure feel like they know exactly what a 3D Mario game should be with total confidence. There's no doubt it'll be a winner.

3. Final Fantasy VII Remake

Don't even know what there is to say. It's FFVII - one of my favourite games of all time. I still get goosebumps from that PSX trailer. We haven't seen much of it in a while and E3 seems like the best time to pull back the curtain a bit. I'd love to know more on the multi-part structure and hopefully when they're planning to get the ball going.

4. Pokemon Stars

Sun and Moon are seriously up there among my favourite Pokemon games. If they put them on Switch, my mind would quite simply be blown away. Having wanted another game like Colosseum or XD for years, the thought of an HD Pokemon game on consoles is just too good to be true. Of course I'm bracing for it to be a 3DS game as well.

5. Kingdom Hearts III

Similar to FFVII above, though we've seen a good deal of its gameplay, I'm ready at this point for a total KHIII blowout.

6. Spider-Man

I'm not a massive Spider-Man or comics fan. But with Insomniac involved, this has the potential to be something really special and it'll definitely be a highlight of Sony's presentation.

7. Ni no Kuni II

This game has been dark for a while, but it looks utterly magical. Hopefully we can finally get some news on it. (And maybe I should play the first game that's been sitting on my HDD...)

8. Xenoblade 2

The first Xenoblade is an all-time amazing game. Xenoblade 2 combining the HD expertise Monolith gained from X, with 1's greater emphasis on story and character, sounds like a sweet recipe for success.

9. BOTW DLC (it counts)

BOTW is just simply a magnificent game. Having more of it is too good to pass up.

10. Fire Emblem Switch

I'm not expecting this to be at E3. But if it is I wouldn't mind that.

Honourable mentions: Dreams - keeps popping back up and disappearing again. Media Molecule's games are always magical so I hope we can finally get some more solid release commitments and info for it. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - Vanillaware always deliver when it comes to making stylish 2D games, and this one really grabbed my attention when they first showed it at TGS. We haven't seen it since, but I'm hoping it's good.

Honestly though, most of the games I'm looking forward to are ones that I've already seen plenty of, and I'm mainly looking forward to unannounced games this go-around.

EDIT - I forgot about Xenoblade 2. To the honourable mentions you go, 13 Sentinels!

10. #SPIDERMANPS4
9. #SPIDERMANPS4
8. #SPIDERMANPS4
7. #SPIDERMANPS4
6. #SPIDERMANPS4
5. #SPIDERMANPS4
4. #SPIDERMANPS4
3. #SPIDERMANPS4
2. #SPIDERMANPS4
1. #SPIDERMANPS4
I was going to make a real list but honestly this is the right answer 😂😂😂

I have a top 5 in mind but anything past that I'll have to think more on.

5. Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle : This is mostly morbid curiosity. I'm so interested to see if Ubi can pull off a self deprecating Mario game without being too tryhard and making it unfunny. I still despise Rabbids though.

4: Breath of the Wild Story DLC : I bought the season pass after I finished doing everything I felt I needed to in the main game and after 80 hours I need more that isn't just collecting Korok seeds.

3. Games That Make Scorpio Look Worthwhile : I've been onboard with Scorpio since the DF reveal a few months ago but for me to want to own this system day one I need Microsoft to show me they're committed to being more than their main 3 franchises.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 : The first Xenoblade is my favorite game of all time. The characters, world and music are unlike anything I've ever seen. I was invested from the moment I set foot in Colony 9. I want to see something that makes me have faith that Monolith can give me that same feeling again after X left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

1. Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster : I love Shenmue. When 3 was announced on Sony's stage I rushed to Kickstarter and refreshed until I was able to donate. To be able to replay these games without the constraints of old hardware and to see them reach a new audience would be a dream come true. Make it happen Sega!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
1) Mario Odyssey

2) whatever Bethesda is cooking up, hopefully this year and not VR shit

3) Cyberpunk 2077

4) Xenoblade 2

5) Divinity Original Sin 2

6) Pillars of Eternity 2

Putting KH3/FFVIIR low for being unlikely to be at the show, but then giving the top spot to the least likely title to appear seems weird lol

Honorable mention to Cyberpunk 2077, because Witcher 3 is arguably my favorite game ever, and I want to see what CDPR does next, but I highly doubt this game is showing up this year. Here's hoping though. (Also, the new SuckerPunch game is really top 3, but, we don't know what it is yet)

10. Destiny 2 is only last because I doubt there's much more Bungie can show now that gameplay's been revealed
9. Mario Odyssey, since I want to want a Switch, but need more than BotW
8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
7. Death Stranding
6. Horizon DLC (feel like that'll be at PSX tho)
5. FFVIIR
4. God of War
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. Kingdom Hearts 3
1. Spider-Man

Dr.Social

Banned
Spider-Man
Mario Odyssey
Death Stranding (hoping to see gameplay this year)
Crackdown 3

Cautiously optimistic about the new Assassin's Creed

Durock

No particular order....

1. Sea of Thieves
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Retro Studios' new game
4. The Evil Within 2
5. Dead Space Remaster
6. Banjo-Kazooie
7. Anything Zelda
8. Resident Evil 7 DLC
9. Resident Evil 2 REmake
10. Goldeneye 20th Anniversary Remaster

DJIzana

All I would like to see?

1. Granblue Fantasy Re Link (Cygames is apparently going to be at PC Gaming Show... While it is likely only Shadowverse you just never know).

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - more locations, characters and music.

3. Anything Player Unknowns Battlegrounds related.

4. Unannounced Japanese games.

Top Bottom