• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Last of Us 2 MULTIPLAYER thread

Less than a week till Sony's E3 showings, I think gow4 will be front and center but we will still see some tlou2 stuff.

Most people concern themselves with the campaign of the game, as they should be, but the multiplayer of the original was generally considered to be good. I've played a LOT of Uc4 multiplayer, practically everyday, so I think the down/ko system should return, as annoying as it is it encourages teamwork.

Other than standard modes, the one addition to gameplay I want to see - clickers. There should be a hardcore version of each mode, where there are clickers right on the maps, and both teams have to deal with them as a nuisance along with their opponents. I got this idea from the Walking Dead midseason 4 finale and I would really like to see ND implement it in the sequel. That's about it. I've posted this idea before and instead of bumping one of the old threads, it was suggested to me by etta to make a new thread, so here it is. But here's the stuff I said before.

and now, as for multiplayer - this is something i've brought up in a few other tlou threads, and almost everyone i talked to about it seems to like the idea. I think the already existing mp has worked pretty well for the game - as far as I know everybody who's played it who's liked the game, has also appreciated the multiplayer, so what I'm proposing is that the future title also incorporates a hardcore mode - hardcore supply raid, hardcore survivors, hardcore interrogation, and hardcore whatever else. and the difference would be, that the maps would have clickers within them. that way, players would have to deal not only with their opponents, but with the zombies as well.

the walkin dead's mid-season 4 finale has always, since then, given me that idea. because in pretty much every zombie apocalypse story, there's much more for you to fight than just evil people trying to kill you.

what do you think?

&& just some neat fanart I found on gamespot
http://media1.gameinformer.com/images/hubs/lastofus/gameinformer_2012_03_cover_lastofus2.jpg
|

2. Multiplayer

Now, on to the other topic. Multiplayer. Although most of tlou's acclaim and legacy comes with its fucking masterpiece of a campaign, I think most people underestimate how much of a dent it made regarding multiplayer as well. As I said in an LTTP thread, I know a guy who never ever eva eva eva fucks with single player in games. and tlou is his favorite game, ever. He LOVES the multiplayer, he tells me he's never played anything like that. That should be very telling to y'all, GAF.

You might as well call him a casual, I guess. But anyways, other than adding more than just 4 players per team, there's a few things I want out of a MP mode in tlou2. The first and most important thing is:

-a hardcore mode, with clickers right on the maps. For all game types. This is pretty much the only thing imo that made the mp in the original game feel a little disconnected with its single player mode. I got this idea from the walking dead season 4 midseason finale; the battle at the the prison. Once both sides started shooting at each other, a few minutes later it wasn't just each other they had to worry about, it was zombies. And the same should be said in tlou's universe's mp modes. There should be a hardcore mode where each team not only has to strategize about how to outdo the other time but how to keep each other safe from clickers. And it would still be fair game literally since the clickers would be a threat to both teams.

-POSSIBLY a coop mode, both campaign, and missions, and hell...maybe even splitscreen campaign. I know the last thing is least likely but I never hide from the fact that I'm a sucker for local mp. If tlour included a splitscreen campaign mode, I probably would've bought it day 1. but it was gifted to me. as it is, tlour is the best game I ever played but I'm probably never gonna play it again.

tl;dr

this statement is still relevant here: I don't want two threads of related topics floating around so this thread is going to serve to kill two birds with one stone, as in I want to cover two different topics about a hypothetical tlou sequel. First is:

-Do you or do not want Joel & Ellie to be a part of the sequel? If you do, should it be all about them, or should there be another set of protagonists/deuteragonists in the mix that catches up with them? If you don't, then go ahead and explain in full detail how you think it's best for them to do a story for tlou2.

-Did you hate or love the mp in tlou? If you loved it to the max do you think there should be anything added in the sequel's mp or do you think there's still room for shit to add? All I'll say is, if for nothing else, I need them to include a hardcore mode for all game types that puts clickers right on the maps for players to deal with along with their opponents. If you hated it, would you start from scratch from the ground up or what would you do? Or would you just say fuck an mp mode for this game?

What do you think?

So for those of you who played loads of tlou mp: What do you think?

dugdug

Banned
Would absolutely welcome a co-op mode similar to Uncharted 2 and 3, since, for some insane reason, they didn't have it in Uncharted 4.

I would hope they don't mess with it too much. I absolutely loved TLOU MP, but, considering how disappointing Uncharted 4's MP suite was, I'm concerned.

Swarley

I absolutely expect to NOT see The Last of Us Part 2 at E3 this year. That game is still quite a ways off and ND is going to be pushing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I don't expect anything from TLOU until PSX at the very earliest.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I was one of the few people who actively disliked the multiplayer mode in The Last of Us. It felt clunky and cheaply put together.

For the sequel, I'd prefer they just focus on the single player campaign, but I get that I'm basically alone in that.

CREMSteve

I was one of the few people who actively disliked the multiplayer mode in The Last of Us. It felt clunky and cheaply put together.

For the sequel, I'd prefer they just focus on the single player campaign, but I get that I'm basically alone in that.
You aren't alone.

Loxley

Nah, you're not alone - I wasn't a big fan of it myself. If ND insists on having a multiplayer component, I would much prefer some sort of co-op mode.

J4g3r

Factions was a god damn delight and I sure hope The Last of Us Part II includes multiplayer (heck, it was the first thing I asked the devs on Twitter when the game was revealed - I got no answer).

xviper

why everyone doesn't expect TLOU 2 to be shown at this e3 ?? did ND ever skipped any E3 ?

i'm 99% sure it will be shown

Fuck SP only, it's not like the MP team are suddenly going to become artists. But I do agree that MP seems an afterthought for ND, it was very apparent with UC4. ND have been doing MP for fucking ages, somehow their first try with Uncharted 2 was by far their best.

TLOU2 though with co-op like a horde mode? Fuck me, I'll get the deluxe edition Day 1.

tioslash

why everyone doesn't expect TLOU 2 to be shown at this e3 ?? did ND ever skipped any E3 ?

ND will obviously be there, but showing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Not saying TLOU 2 won´t be shown, but I don´t think it is likely tbh.

dugdug

Banned

I'm not 99%, but, I'm pretty sure we'll see something. Sony's gonna bring all the guns they have to fight Scorpio.

mindsale

Factions is probably my favorite multiplayer I've ever played, if Overwatch weren't a thing.

Captures not only the fear of other humans and ramshackle crafting of the campaign, but also extends its narrative.

I'd like to see Infected invade Multiplayer skirmishes to further dwindle your resources and change the dynamic of encounters.

The last of us multiplayer wasn't talked about till a couple of weeks before release, no chance in hell we hear anything about this soon. They need to add a horde mode of sorts.

I'm not expecting anything but will never stop hoping (re this year's E3).

For TLOU2 MP, cosmetic items only. And keep it classy ND - UC is meant to be goofy fun, TLOU2 is wildly different. But more of the same with perhaps less emphasis on loadouts. I generally prefer map control MP where teamwork and strategy are of more importance than solo-carrying.

What?? The mp in TLOU is awesome, I've put about 350 hours between ps3/ps4 and today there's a lot of people still playing.

The mp was super tense,tactical,skill based and heavily relayed on team work.

jett

D-Member

The reason is because it's early in development. The same director working on TLOU2 now was working full-hog on UC4 just a year ago. I can't imagine they're going to waste time at this point creating some sort of vertical slice demo.

The Lost Legacy will be there.

daveo42

Banned

ND has Lost Legacy to show this year. TLoU2 is at best a late 2018 game. I don't expect to a release until 2019 tbh.

Next showing of TLoU2 will be at PSX in December.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Team #TLOU2WillShow

No Way Sony says nothing about its biggest game at the worlds biggest game show.

bombshell

Naughty Dog are there with Uncharted Lost Legacy, so they are not skipping this E3 regardless if TLoU 2 is there or not.

There are mad people who think it will be out next year.

LOL. I know...2019 is the earliest we'll see this game.

I love TLOU multiplayer. Was involved in the GAF tournament when the Remaster came out. Went to go back in, and it was horrendous. DLC weapons just destroyed.

jett

D-Member
Team #TLOU2WillShow

No Way Sony says nothing about its biggest game at the worlds biggest game show.

Why would they have to say anything about a game that is potentially going to end up being released on PS5 and PS4 at the same time.

God of War will be their "biggest game" at the show.

1. Get rid of all DLC weapons and perks post-release. That shit is garbage and they should get way more grief for it than they do.

2. Less rush mechanics/perks. The smoke immunity and shiv perk is awful.

3. Expand on crafting. Traps and other items would be really cool. In Survivors I always liked the idea of one person on your team essentially being a 'mechanic'. I'd like more things to build than just mostly bombs.

4. Give more of a reason to use the entirety of the maps. Whether that's crafting and pickups or a different mode I don't know. There are several areas on maps that people simply never had a need to use.

5. Eliminate Group and non-group playlists. Everyone together.

TLOU multiplayer is one of my most played things ever but it slowly decreased over the last year because I can't stand the DLC stuff or the separate playlists for Survivors. Really excited to see what they (hopefully) improve upon with 2.

zkorejo

As much as I would love to hear about MP stuff, its not going to happen OP.

We will hear about the around 5 months before release at the earliest.

If anything, 10 minutes of gameplay at E3 is what they will do.

CrayToes

Get rid of the p2w bs and I may actually be excited.

This.

TLOU had some of the best MP of last gen. A few small tweaks and Sony could be on to a winner. Hopefully they dont go the way of UC4 which put more effort in to it's emotes and cosmetics than it did in to making a compelling game.

Loved TLoU multiplayer, and hope the 2nd one has a similar setup. However, I highly doubt we see a single inkling of the game in any way at E3. They are going to be hyping up the Uncharted game coming out. I wouldn't be mad if they did though!

J4g3r

I hope there is beta in a few weeks. *Fingers crossed*.

BEST Multiplayer hands down, if you ignore the Pay-2-Win weapons.

Get rid of the p2w bs and I may actually be excited.

What weapons specifically are we talking about here?

I played an absolute ton of Factions and I still think the Revolver outclassed the Enforcer and Burst Pistol in most instances.

I did 100% play with the same team every time so we always had teamwork and communication on our side though.

EDIT: The Hunting Rifle was hands down unstoppable when used right too - (Heck, most of the weapons were):

F2lkPhq.gif

A gif I just made.

I love it if we could get some sort of horde mode on top of all the modes we got with TLOU1.
But the real dream would be TDM (or another mode) with infected walking around the map.

Gurish

Highly doubt that

Yea not gonna happen, they started development after Death Stranding and that game will not be there so what makes you think we're gonna see anything substantial?

We might get some additional details (maybe Neil will share something in an interview there) but no way we're going to see any gameplay.

Despite my disappointment with the addition of paid weapon DLC, TLoU remains one of my favorite multiplayer games. There's a lot potential to expand on, I'm just hoping it doesn't drastically change it's scope. There was an intimacy to the progression of Factions matches that few other games capture.

Mr Git

It's not like the single player for TLOU was halfbaked and half arsed. I thought the mp was brilliant and still play it.

Top Bottom