• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roomate had money stolen (apparently) we have 3 people

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make this as short as possible my roomate put her money inside a laptop bag in our room. Her money went missing and she completely blamed me as soon as she couldn't find it.

We live with a boy that stays in his room all day, has his door shut all day and almost never comes out and we hardly ever talk to him. He is very soft spoke, chinese if that makes any difference to anyone and only plays games all day. I assume his parents send him money as he orders out and all sorts of things all the time (as well as affording 1000 a month rent) so there's that as for the back story on him.

She had 400 go missing and I only have two very obvious ideas in my head as to where it went. She either lost it or he got it, there simply isn't any other options unless someone ran in here while we were sleeping and got it or something.

I mostly work at home and I am home a lot but I do go out to walk and do things here and there and that was very near a time I had went out for 30 minutes that it ended up being gone.

Because of her blame of me and believing he couldn't have done it, made me feel a little bad cause I never care to steal and that's just now who I am.

I went in his room yesterday to look for it but with all his things locked and his room being a stinky huge mess with large brown cover stains and such I didn't try too hard.

About 30 minutes ago he went to shower so I figuered that was the perfect time to check his wallet as I heard him drop his keys on his table. I saw he had 300 plus a bit of change. Anyways, seems like it's a lost cause cause if I confront him he will obviously deny it and she obviously doesn't want to say or do anything about it with him.

I would like to confront him but there is that chance she misplaced it and lost it honestly.... she has lost two iphones before (stolen on the street) so I'm not sure if he really did it or not.

Anyone have any tips or other ideas as to how I can confront him or ask him about it? We actually didn't even do that, mostly cause of her not me.

It seems to be he did steal it after seeing his wallet, but I'm not doing this to be revengeful to try to make a point or anything other than just getting someone back their money that they worked hard for.

numble

To make this as short as possible my roomate put her money inside a laptop bag in our room. Her money went missing and she completely blamed me as soon as she couldn't find it.

We live with a boy that stays in his room all day, has his door shut all day and almost never comes out and we hardly ever talk to him. He is very soft spoke, chinese if that makes any difference to anyone and only plays games all day. I assume his parents send him money as he orders out and all sorts of things all the time (as well as affording 1000 a month rent) so there's that as for the back story on him.

She had 400 go missing and I only have two very obvious ideas in my head as to where it went. She either lost it or he got it, there simply isn't any other options unless someone ran in here while we were sleeping and got it or something.

I mostly work at home and I am home a lot but I do go out to walk and do things here and there and that was very near a time I had went out for 30 minutes that it ended up being gone.

Because of her blame of me and believing he couldn't have done it, made me feel a little bad cause I never care to steal and that's just now who I am.

I went in his room yesterday to look for it but with all his things locked and his room being a stinky huge mess with large brown cover stains and such I didn't try too hard.

About 30 minutes ago he went to shower so I figuered that was the perfect time to check his wallet as I heard him drop his keys on his table. I saw he had 300 plus a bit of change. Anyways, seems like it's a lost cause cause if I confront him he will obviously deny it and she obviously doesn't want to say or do anything about it with him.

I would like to confront him but there is that chance she misplaced it and lost it honestly.... she has lost two iphones before (stolen on the street) so I'm not sure if he really did it or not.

Anyone have any tips or other ideas as to how I can confront him or ask him about it? We actually didn't even do that, mostly cause of her not me.

It seems to be he did steal it after seeing his wallet, but I'm not doing this to be revengeful to try to make a point or anything other than just getting someone back their money that they worked hard for.

Is it 300 USD in his wallet or some other currency?
You could install a secret camera, I guess.

wowzors

Steal the money from his wallet put it in her laptop bag and watch the whole thing unfold.

don't do this, and don't accuse him.
It feels shitty to be accused, you should know

TheContact

The hell dude you're going snooping through his room and even his wallet? Just because he had money in his wallet doesn't mean he stole it. It's clearly this girls fault for not putting the money away safely and it's not your job to find the culprit seeing as she immediately blamed you for it. Her problem. She can figure it out.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Nasty situation.

It was stupid of your roommate to leave 400 in cash in a shared house, and I'm sure she realizes that was a mistake. You can't prove that the 300 and change in his wallet belongs to her.

Very unfortunate but hopefully it's a learning experience.

sojour

Wait...so you went through his stuff without his permission?

If you suspect him, just ask him. Or tell your roommate that you didn't take it.

I know it's on her and I understand it's probably a loss, but I'm not really afraid to confront people for things I believe in. I likely will at some point anyways and maybe it will lead to him to at least confessing if anything. Other than that, she still half believes he didn't do it but I think she is coming around to the idea.

I'm not going to fight , push or do things over money and stolen things but it would be at least good to know that I am not going to allow such things without at least something or he will likely do it again

Poppy

since i have no actual stake in this i choose to believe OP is the one that actually stole it and this thread is part of a plot to make themself look good to neogaf (and possibly the victim if the thread ever got discovered or linked) because getting away with things gives them satisfaction

you cant pull the wool over my eyes

You guys both need to approach him and call him out on it. Threaten to kick him out or call the police or something. He sounds like the meek type that would easily crack under pressure.

But you better know for a fact she didn't lose the money. We're also giving you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't steal it

Dude, the fact you checked the guys wallet without permission makes you just as shady in this scenario.

"Nah, I didn't take your money from your laptop bag, but I did sneak into the other guys room and checked his wallet without asking and he has a lot of cash that might be yours."

Ogodei

Theft of money is huge among roommates. I'd bring it to the landlord's attention to know that this is happening and that his presence in the place may no longer be tolerable.

I got accused of stealing $300 from a billfold from this girls house once. All of her friends hated me and I couldnt even hang out with the same circle anymore. Then like 2 months later she found her billfold with the money in it inside one of her couches. I told them all to go fuck themselves.

Wait...so you went through his stuff without his permission?

If you suspect him, just ask him. Or tell your roommate that you didn't take it.
Yeah, I don't really mind if people see my things, touch them etc I don't really mind this kind of stuff that much as you or many may. I know I didn't do it, so I needed to see something that told me he really did it. Rather you or anyone agrees or disagrees with this isn't that important to me.

I'm gonna guess your roommate lost the money or doesn't remember where she put it, and she's trying to blame it on someone other than herself.

Javier23

Banned
Been in the exact same situation. Was living with two close friends so I got the blame. To this day I am sure he just misplaced the money.

I got accused of stealing $300 from a billfold from this girls house once. All of her friends hated me and I couldnt even hang out with the same circle anymore. Then like 2 months later she found her billfold with the money in it inside one of her couches. I told them all to go fuck themselves.

God damn. Were they actually sorry, or acting like they were "letting" you back in?

lenovox1

She either needs to file a police report or drop it completely.

If she was a reasonable human being, you could tell her about what you found and she could consider that information the next time she wants to put $400 in her laptop bag.

Or you could sit your roommate down and have a calm, adult conversation with him about the incident, never bringing up that you found $300 in cash in his wallet while stressing how serious and important that money is to her.

But this does not sound like a guy that you can confront and expect a positive outcome.

Steal his money and add it to the $400 you already have. That's $700 free dollars.
IdenticalWavyHawk-size_restricted.gif

Female roommate saw that other roommate had 300 bucks.

Makes up a story about losing 400, blames you so you will feel encouraged to defend yourself/seek justice. (AKA force guy with 300 to hand it over).

Rosebud is the sled.

Is it odd that someone would have $400 in cash? I can think of a dozen reasons off the top of my head why I'd have cash on hand.

she has no bank account here nor do I as we are here for 6 months. I don't think she has a stock pile of money but I have heard a lot of Chinese people keep a lot of money in home at times. Maybe Americans and some western people do too, I have heard of people that keep their life savings in their homes such as my sisters ex's dad (fear of the bank, southern sort of crap though)

One time in college an ex-girlfriend accused me of stealing her bike. I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. She went ballistic on me.

Female roommate saw that other roommate had 300 bucks.

Makes up a story about losing 400, blames you so you will feel encouraged to defend yourself/seek justice. (AKA force guy with 300 to hand it over).

Rosebud is the sled.
She was looking furiously and throwing things up to the point of asking me apparently, she seems to be pretty sure it was there but honestly I can't say it for sure.

I wouldn't mind telling him it's missing and wanted to ask him where it was to see his reaction at least.

Zakalwe

Banned
People saying "this isn't your problem OP" are a bit off, OP has to live with this in a place with a potential thief and he's been accused of theft. It's very much his problem at this point.

OP: I would get them both in a room and talk about it. If he's lying it might be obvious and the blame could shift from you to him from her perspective. That'll take some of the pressure off.

You'll still have to deal with living with a thief though if it turns out to be him, but it's definitely better to take a situation like this head-on than putting your head in the sand.

One time in college an ex-girlfriend accused me of stealing her bike. I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. She went ballistic on me.

Yeah, that is pretty much what happened here. I was on my laptop and playing a game on my ps4 with her coming in like the devil. I was like wait a minute, you need to think about this before you continue this fury cause I have no idea what you mean.

I actually didn't even know where she had put her money nor did I try to find it or care. I actually assumed it would have been with her in her wallet or something.

numble

I think the OP is in China. If it is 300 US dollars in a Chinese guy's wallet, its more likely he stole it. If it is 300 RMB, I think it is less likely to be stolen. If it is the equivalent of 300 US dollars in RMB, its likely he stole it, but less likely than if it were 300 US dollars.

Ask the dude straight up if he has any cash on hand that you can borrow. If he says no, then at least you know he's a liar.

After that, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom