• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC: Xbox One X and PS4 Pro to be neck-and-neck this holiday season

MauroNL

Interesting article from Financial Post with IDC research.
http://business.financialpost.com/t...rosofts-xbox-one-x-is-going-against-the-grain

graph1bcuh7.png

Early research by IDC suggests that the market is willing to listen. Seven million consoles are expected to be sold in North America within the next two quarters, and 21.6 of prospective purchases say they are specifically looking at buying an Xbox One X, compared to 22.2 per cent eying a PlayStation 4 Pro.

In terms of product families, the entire Xbox One lineup earned 36.6 per cent of the vote compared to PlayStation 4’s 35.6 per cent, narrowly taking the holiday 2017 sales crown, IDC’s research suggests.

“What the broader takeaway (from our research) implies is that Microsoft’s gamble is going to pay off,” Ward said. “It does appear to stabilize the slide that Microsoft has been on, which I think is a positive step. It looks like, in North America, that the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X will be neck-and-neck in sales for at least the next six months or so and if that happens, you have to say that’s a win for Microsoft.”
graph2gmuvq.png

Lots more in the article. If I somehow missed this in search than please close.

FelipeMGM

they really expect the Pro to sell almost 2:1 against the PS4 Slim and the X 3:1 against the S?

Maybe Im way off here, cuz that would be VERY surprising to me

EDIT: taking a deeper look, and the whole thing seems off to what will actually happen. 360 Outselling the S? Switch #3 overall?

Nah, these dudes are crazy

I don't know. I think the PS4 base model will sell a lot more then the Pro/X versions,just because of the price.

Parents buying them for their children don't care about the Pro/X

Gestault

I'll prepare to be surprised, but I think these numbers look insane, in terms of Pro/X:Slim/S ratio (if nothing else).

Those are hilariously stupid numbers given previous years Christmas sales and the market trend this year.

The fact the 360 is anything more than a statistical anomalies worth of sales proves this is all bollocks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I could see Xbox One X keeping parity or even outselling PS Pro this holidays - although it is more expensive, it is a launch and you'll have pent up demand. You may get softer Xbox 1 sales in the run up because of it.

That doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things as Pro will already have been on sale for 12 months. Maybe we'll be able to compare launch aligned?

As for the PS4/XB1 vanilla versions - surely they can't expect them to be outsold by the more expensive versions by that amount!? Fall is a price concious time period

I find that very hard to believe in terms of the higher price SKU's selling so much higher than the cheaper model. Simply due to price, and the sales ratio of Pro to regular PS4 last holiday season.

In addition due to the importance of price, there is the potential for a PS4 Pro price cut and/or bundle to make it sell more than X simply due to that fact.

MazeHaze

Banned
The ps4 slim is gonna sell gangbusters, this chart is BS. That thing will have a cheap holiday bundle. The S will sell a ton too.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Unless I am missing something, these numbers are absolutely absurd.

They think the XBOX One X will outsell the PS4 slim by 50%?

Zedark

They predict that the pro and X will outsell the base hardware? That seems highly doubtful to me. Also, I expect Switch to be a little more relevant that just 13% of total market share, more like 25%-35%.

Edit: Wii U 3.3%? Dafuq?

bill0527

This. There is no way that's going to happen. Someone is smoking some good crack here.

I don't understand how that is physically possible.

Very few of my local retailers like Wal-Mart and Target even have a Xbox 360 SKU in the display cases anymore. They aren't manufacturing any new ones so there won't be any re-stock happening.

I suppose in some parts of the U.S. there may be a glut of stock available, but I don't exactly live in a massive urban center Metropolis and I can't believe there would be that much out there to allow it to capture 7% of the market this holiday.

Jumeira

Banned
Lets see. But the thirst for powerful hardware is fantastic, happy to see analysts concluding gamers want power.

They think PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are both going to sell more than their cheaper counterparts? Is that what I'm seeing here?

Absolute nonsense.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Lets see. But the thirst for powerful hardware is fantastic, happy to see analysts concluding gamers want power.

If that's what they are concluding then I strongly question their analyst credentials.

Graph looks way off.

That said I don't think the idea that Xbox will be highly competitive with PS4 this Holiday in NA is a far fetched idea. One X is going do great in November and December.

The test comes how it performs in 2018, and I feel a lot less confident in it's long term impact.

Blyr

Banned
Some of the things in the graph are.. confusing?

Wii U & X360/PS3 sales? I love my Wii U but most local retailers cleared them out ages ago when the Switch hit and was sold as soon as they had stock. Also I'm aware many people still buy last gen consoles because they're cheaper and the games are more affordable, but those numbers still seem a bit high.

Also seems like they're underestimating the Switch a bit, I still can't find one locally for sale (haven't tried online yet, but it's mostly interesting to browse my local walmart and best buy to see what they have laying around) so maybe a stock shortage would contribute to lower numbers? It's an interesting take, if nothing else.

Nope.

The cheaper units will move more. I don't know about the X/Pro thing. I see X selling more. I think it is partially dependent upon what Sony's plans are for price/bundles with Pro. And yeah, those last gen console percentages...no.

I think the key term here is "specifically looking at buying" and "eying" as in:

21.6 of prospective purchases say they are specifically looking at buying an Xbox One X, compared to 22.2 per cent eying a PlayStation 4 Pro.

I've been looking at buying a super fast sports car and eying Ella Purnell, but nothing will end up actually happening

Wait so the X1X is supposed to outsell Switch and PS4 Slim according to that?

What?

Switch will sell more than anything easily imo if they can keep it in stock. It's going to do crazy ass numbers if Mario reviews well. Plus Xenoblade...

Then PS4 Slim will sell less than that but still good...and then the other stuff.

Xbox One X and PS4 Pro seem very high compared to standard models, I'd be surprised if that's the case, although it wouldn't be a bad thing if it happened.

OCD Guy

No chance the X will be neck and neck with anything. Expect a price drop on the Pro to tie in with the revised (cheaper to manufacture) CUH-7100 and the Switch is going to fly off the shelves....

We're obviously going to see a slight peak in release month for the X but that's about it. I honestly think this console isn't going to sell well outside of launch month.

360 better than S? XBO X better than PS4 Slim? OG Xbox One still in stores? OG PS4 not in the chart also? Lot of questionable things in one graph.

Edit: Wii U still a thing?

I think the key term here is "specifically looking at buying" and "eying" as in:

I've been looking at buying a super fast sports car and eying Ella Purnell, but nothing will end up actually happening
What's the difference between looking and eying? Don't they mean the same thing? English is not my first language.

Markitron

Whatever help you i guess.

Not sure what you mean?

These figures are total horseshit and there is no historical precedent to support them. There is no point in extracting any conclusions from them.

Dyle

Why is the OG Xbox One listed separately from the One S and why would it sell more than the One S? And 360/PS3/Wii U selling 14% of holiday sales in the US? I can see the Switch not being the highest selling SKU due to supply constraints, but only barely, not being beaten by both X1X and PS4 Pro by 50%. Receipts needed

Protome

It'd be pretty shocking if PS4Pro and Xbox One X outsell their standard equivalents. Nothing about the PS4 Pro's sales so far support that.

LOL. What the hell is this?

I expect Xbox One X to sell very well compared to PS4 Pro because it's going to include the huge influx of preorders. I am much more "interested" in how it sells after the initial introduction to gamers and the market.

I don't see the Pro versions of consoles outselling their cheaper counterparts, and if either does, it won't be the PS4.

What a bullshit chart. There's no chance in hell the PS4 Pro nearly doubles the PS4 Slim sales; in fact I would say it would be the complete opposite, but more like 4:1 Slims to Pros at the very least.

Top Bottom