• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
I really want to keep the secret characters secret and not find out about them when the Japanese version hits. Don't know if I have the will power though... :(

pulga said:
I really want to keep the secret characters secret and not find out about them when the Japanese version hits. Don't know if I have the will power though... :(

You know what, I still haven't decided what I want. :/

I was just playing Melee yesterday, took a look at the "achievement" log... the last things I did were beating Classic, Adventure and All Star in Very Hard. Then I took a look at the date. It said 2002. After getting over the fact that time flies and that I was really feeling old at the moment :lol, I realized that... well, I was still playing this. Now look at the amount of content in Brawl. This is madness.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally I wouldn't be satisfied with 24 characters, in part because of the expected lifespan of a Smash Bros. is pretty long. Melee is still going strong after six years, however, even though its players are dedicated, the character line-up has become a touch stale purely from age.

The thing about Brawl, is that there are so many indications Sakurai is making this his 'final smash' as if Nintendo really won't produce an update again on the Wii, or for some time even beyond that, it seems a shame if there's only 24 characters for the series' temporary swan song. I'd be happier if there were another 10 in total for 34, with a few critical Nintendo icon roles filled, such as Luigi and Captain Falcon, and a few other characters "enshrined" in Smash who deserve it.

Really though, I cannot imagine a Sakurai game without 5 - 10 truly secret characters to unlock purely for the surprise and confusion value. Sakurai and secrets go hand in hand, no matter what he /says/ about not focusing on hiding away the characters this time. (Which I suspect he merely means in an accesibility sense... not making them overly time consuming to unlock.)

A Link to the Snitch said:
To pass the time, I think we should discuss Assist Trophies.

How many overall, how many from each series, and whom?
Here are my 'top 10 most wanted' assist trophies:

1. Tingle (Zelda):
various05_070924f.jpg

2. Jimmy T. (Warioware):
jimmyig.gif

3. Star Man (Pro Wrestling):
starman1.jpg
starman2.jpg

4. Doshin the Giant (Doshin the Giant):
DoshintheGiant.jpg

5. Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo):
ChibiPlug.jpg

6. Kat & Ana (Warioware)
7. Skull Kid (Zelda)
8. Captain Olimar & Pikmin (Pikmin)
9. Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
10. New Age Retro Hippie (Earthbound)

:D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Iam Canadian said:
I don't care about unlockable spoilers, since I intend to check a guide and unlock everything as quickly as possible anyway. The Subspace Emissary presents me a bit of a dilemma. I'd rather play through it and experience it myself without spoilers, but I can't see how I can avoid Subspace spoilers while ravenously digesting every tidbit about unlockables that I can find. You can't really even segregate the two, since you unlock many secret characters through Subspace.
I want to know the characters and stages, but I don't want to know the story bits of Subspace or what the event matches are. I'm hoping that when a character list is unveiled it just says complete stage x in Subspace Emissary or complete event match y. That way we will know how to get them but not the roles they play in the story.

Jiggy

Aras said:
There is a similar level in Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland ( was going to write "Kirby's Nightmare before xmas, I'm getting sleepy I guess xD ) o0 all in black n white and the classic music of Green Greens ringing o0
That's because Nightmare in Dreamland was a remake of Adventure. :p

AMUSIX said:
Since there's so much speculation here (and all of it so very optomistic) I was just wondering...

Would you be happy with a roster of 24?
That is, say they add a single character to the newcomers, and that represents the final roster. NOT the starting roster, but the final game roster.
That's so far out of the realm of possibility it doesn't even make sense to me to speculate about. >_> This would basically be saying that one newcomer is in (let's say it's symbol #19), but Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Falco, Sheik, Young Link, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy are all out. And the DS symbol also wouldn't be representative of any character in the game.
Just seems too crazy to consider. I can't even imagine less than a 35 minimum. (That would represent three newcomers and nine more veterans, and assumes Young Link, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy are gone. But even putting that aside, Melee added 14 characters and 7 were clones. Brawl's had more development time, so expecting 15 new characters over Melee (35 characters would be 9 more than Melee's total, but if four of Melee's characters were cut then there would be 13 new characters, and the split Pokemon Trainer moveset makes 15) is honestly pretty tame.)

...But okay, let's suppose that for some reason there were only 24 characters. If that were the case, it would raise all sorts of questions that should be asked of the game developers, such as why Pokemon Trainer is so special as to get three unique movesets instead of three fully independent characters being created, or why 25% of the roster was taken up by Mario and Kirby alone, or why they thought anybody would be satisfied with a smaller roster than the previous game, etc.

RoboPlato said:
I want to know the characters and stages, but I don't want to know the story bits of Subspace or what the event matches are. I'm hoping that when a character list is unveiled it just says complete stage x in Subspace Emissary or complete event match y. That way we will know how to get them but not the roles they play in the story.
You've got a point--that's some stuff I don't want to know ahead of time either. >_>

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm debating whether or not to abandon the internet at the first sign of a non-Dojo spoiler.

I made myself a promise long ago that if the game wasn't online I'd stop reading spoilers about a month before launch and unlock everything au natural.

But with online, well, I'll want to be up to full fighting form ASAP. So it's tough.

Anyways, anyone who thinks Brawl is done introducing characters is dumb. I will almost guarantee that this is the starting roster, with maybe Snake and Sonic locked. I mean, just look at the Melee characters that haven't been announced. All were hidden characters in either Melee or SSB. Every. Single. One. You're crazy if you don't think Jigglypuff, Luigi, and Captain Falcon are in the game at the very least. You're also crazy if you think that even this would be the final roster.

Call me optimistic to a point but I'm almost positive that no character from Melee was actually cut. Dr. Mario might be an unlockable costume. Roy and Marth might be merged. Gannon might have a new moveset, and YL will most probably be WW link. Pichu will be in. Game and Watch is too. Same with Mewtwo (and he'll be even better this time)

Ness will be Event unlockable. Count on it. Lucas vs Ness Grudge match.

Jiggy

Man God said:
Call me optimistic to a point but I'm almost positive that no character from Melee was actually cut. Dr. Mario might be an unlockable costume. Roy and Marth might be merged. Gannon might have a new moveset, and YL will most probably be WW link. Pichu will be in. Game and Watch is too. Same with Mewtwo (and he'll be even better this time)
I can't argue that that's pretty optimistic.

Scribble

Man God said:
I'm debating whether or not to abandon the internet at the first sign of a non-Dojo spoiler.

You know, I was all "Oh no I'd have to abandon the internet because it'll be IMPOSSIBLE to avoid roster spoilers," but it may not be as difficult to avoid them as we think.

* Stay away from this thread and the official Brawl thread when it's created
* Actually, stay away from GAF because people will obviously have Ridley, Takamaru or Krystal or whoever is unlockable in their display pics
* Stay away from Smashboards and Gamefaqs

Er...actually, you probably will have to stay away from the game aspect of the internet. Unless that IS the internet for you.

You know, the NEWCOMER APPROACHING screen in Melee felt awesome, and it must feel a million times more awesome not knowing who you're about to unlock. I may actually end up avoiding spoilers. GAF is unhealthy anyway, so it'll be doing me good.

RagnarokX

SantaC said:
a Wind Waker level would be sweet...

windfall island, outset island or dragon roast would all work for me
My idea for a WW stage would be fighting on Tetra's pirate ship while it teleports between islands via ballad of gales.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Bed 'n' breakfasts? :D

...Not quite. :lol

I can't argue that that's pretty optimistic.

Agreed. For instance, I think it'll be a bit much to expect to expect such things like Pichu's return. At best, he may get patched over by Pachirusu, or whatever is the name of that lame electric squirrel introduced in P/D.

But even so...I'm hoping that if we do get 5 Poke reps, it'll be a lot more balanced this time. And it stands to do so, provided that Pikachu and Purin represent cuteness, Lucario and Mewtwo for bad-asses and Red/PT with his dudes as the "classics".

Jiggy

If Pachirisu somehow got in as playable, I think that would be sufficient to invalidate the coolness of at least one megaton. :(

Scribble

Speaking of megatons, I wonder if we've seen everything major there is to see, feature wise. Though I expect to see a few more sticker/coin/trophy related semitons.

Jiggy

I still believe in at least the Event Match Creator that I've mentioned before in October and again in November.

And I'm even holding out on New Game+ as a serious prediction. (Edit: Maybe not with as many options as Tales of Symphonia. :p But some sort of New Game+ nonetheless--after all, they're there sometimes in Kirby games.) If that was in, though, I don't think it would get a Dojo update until a while after SSBB had been released.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I can't be the only one who thinks Pichu is the new Smash Bros. mascot joke character. Seriously, I think his chances are better than most to be in the game.

Jiggy

I could buy Pichu as the mascot joke character... Although it kind of says a lot to be a joke character when you're in a cast filled with a plumber whose vocabulary is 90% made up of variations on "Wahoo!" and "Yippee!", a perpetually-happy and/or clueless pink ball that eats everything, and a guy whose whole existence is two-dimensional.

It's more my wish that Pichu's gone than my expectation. >_> Tiers can eventually define unintentional joke characters anyway and provide bragging rights, e.g. when you can win with the likes of Bowser or Mewtwo.

Teasel

Jiggy37 said:
Although it kind of says a lot to be a joke character when you're in a cast filled with a plumber whose vocabulary is 90% made up of variations on "Wahoo!" and "Yippee!", a perpetually-happy and/or clueless pink ball that eats everything, and a guy whose whole existence is two-dimensional.

wouldn't snake count as the joke character for the fact that he's the only serious character in a cast like that?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Teasel said:
wouldn't snake count as the joke character for the fact that he's the only serious character in a cast like that?

Fire Emblem and Zelda characters are fairly serious, WW excluded.

KevinCow

Banned
Teasel said:
I'd say Samus and Link are pretty serious characters.

And Kawashima for joke character!

I want to see updated:

Event Stage Creator
Target Smash Creator
Board the Platforms Creator
Sticker Creator
Posable Trophies
Animal Crosser
Boss Rush Mode
Blaino Assist Trophy
Buggzy Assist Trophy
Marx Boss
End Credits Mini-Game (with a reward for good performance)
Character Ending Screens
Mint Leaf Item

Aras

There might be possibilites of having pichu in this Smash, but simply I don't want to have a clone in the game... it's like having the same characters twice but with some variations, rather see other character with new moves and all new T_T

List of "I-don't-want-in-SSBB-characters":

-Pichu
-Mr Game n Watch
-Young Link
-Dr Mario
-Roy
-Ganondorf ( with captn falcon moves )

Better Ganondorf with his Twilight Princess' moves u_u

JCX

Aras said:
There might be possibilites of having pichu in this Smash, but simply I don't want to have a clone in the game... it's like having the same characters twice but with some variations, rather see other character with new moves and all new T_T

-Pichu
-Mr Game n Watch
-Young Link
-Dr Mario
-Roy

I really doubt tha clones take as much time as new characters. clones are pretty much a part of major fighting games. My ssbm data deleted so I ended up playing with every character. It made me appreciate the differences between doc mario and mario. Don't even get me started on marth v roy.

But ganondorf shouldnt be a falcon clone. It doesnt even make sense.

pulga

Banned
Scribble said:
* Actually, stay away from GAF because people will obviously have Ridley, Takamaru or Krystal or whoever is unlockable in their display pics

Can't mods ban this action? It's spoilerish.. it would be like.. like.. having a screencap back in '97 of Sephiroth killing Aeris as your avatar :(

Yeah, I know I'm grasping, but I don't want to have to leave GAF for like 2 months just because of Smash.

scottnak

pulga said:
Can't mods ban this action? It's spoilerish.. it would be like.. like.. having a screencap back in '97 of Sephiroth killing Aeris as your avatar :(

Yeah, I know I'm grasping, but I don't want to have to leave GAF for like 2 months just because of Smash.
Tis life. What are you going to do. If you're in a public place, you're prone to get spoiled somehow. Best course of action if you reaaaaly don't want to know is to go on a GAF blackout. *shrug*

TreIII

Aras said:

But to me, as we already established back a few pages, it's illogical to assume/want the game to have NO clones in it. It's fighting game parlance to have at least a few clones in the midst, and I don't expect Brawl to be any different in this particular light. If the likes of Roy and/or Pichu end up getting the axe, it'll be more because of the case that it was just their time to go, not because of their notion of being clones.

It's not the entire notion of clones that's bad. It's how ambitious (or rather, how lazily) you implement the concept that makes it as such. Melee was rather bad in this light, with the notion of how a good quarter of the roster played practically the same as the other with few changes there-in.

But just because that was the case before, in no way means that it's gotta be the same case this time around. It's my hope that for any and every possible clone, Sakurai will do more to insure that the clones will subscribe to the "Mario -> Luigi", or hell, "Kirby -> Jigglypuff" train of thought, rather than the overall quick and easy "Mario -> Dr. Mario" type that took up residence in Melee.

I mean, it's not like the aspect of clones has to imply rather lazy gameplay design. Look at Guilty Gear XX, for instance. If you can some how walk away with the notion that Robo Ky and Holy Order Sol are lazy clones of the original Sol and Ky models, well, then, you may need to take a trip to the funny farm. :D

For instance, it's my belief that if Ridley was indeed in the game as a playable, he'll probably do more to end up feeling like Charizard was definitely the basis for his character (they're both bad-ass dragon types that can fly), but all other similarities would end there, as Ridley could stand to be different in every other respect. And that would make me pleased, because I couldn't imagine Ridley grabbing rocks from the ground and using his head to break 'em, either. :D

-Pichu
-Mr Game n Watch
-Young Link
-Dr Mario
-Roy

Interesting that you want G&W gone, considering that he's the only one in your lil list that ISN'T a clone... >_>

But any way, G&W's gotta come back, cuz he represents Nintendo's history, and gives off even more old-school cred than even Mario. Sakurai would be a fool to dispense with him, especially given the fact that he's got a fairly inventive moveset.

Jiggy

A Link to the Snitch said:
I want to see updated:

Target Smash Creator
Board the Platforms Creator
These would be incredible. :eek: Also a Race to the Finish Creator! Might as well add to the number of genres represented.

Come to think of it, outside of Gourmet Race in Kirby Super Star, has a sidescrolling racing game ever been created in the first place? Edit: Actually, I guess that's sort of a dumb question since you might as well define it as a platformer, then. Unless there were no platforms, but then it would be a pretty boring race.

Aras

TreIII said:
But to me, as we already established back a few pages, it's illogical to assume/want the game to have NO clones in it. It's fighting game parlance to have at least a few clones in the midst, and I don't expect Brawl to be any different in this particular light. If the likes of Roy and/or Pichu end up getting the axe, it'll be more because of the case that it was just their time to go, not because of their notion of being clones.

It's not the entire notion of clones that's bad. It's how ambitious (or rather, how lazily) you implement the concept that makes it as such. Melee was rather bad in this light, with the notion of how a good quarter of the roster played practically the same as the other with few changes there-in.

But just because that was the case before, in no way means that it's gotta be the same case this time around. It's my hope that for any and every possible clone, Sakurai will do more to insure that the clones will subscribe to the "Mario -> Luigi", or hell, "Kirby -> Jigglypuff" train of thought, rather than the overall quick and easy "Mario -> Dr. Mario" type that took up residence in Melee.

I mean, it's not like the aspect of clones has to imply rather lazy gameplay design. Look at Guilty Gear XX, for instance. If you can some how walk away with the notion that Robo Ky and Holy Order Sol are lazy clones of the original Sol and Ky models, well, then, you may need to take a trip to the funny farm. :D

For instance, it's my belief that if Ridley was indeed in the game as a playable, he'll probably do more to end up feeling like Charizard was definitely the basis for his character (they're both bad-ass dragon types that can fly), but all other similarities would end there, as Ridley could stand to be different in every other respect. And that would make me pleased, because I couldn't imagine Ridley grabbing rocks from the ground and using his head to break 'em, either. :D

--------------------

Interesting that you want G&W gone, considering that he's the only one in your lil list that ISN'T a clone... >_>

But any way, G&W's gotta come back, cuz he represents Nintendo's history, and gives off even more old-school cred than even Mario. Sakurai would be a fool to dispense with him, especially given the fact that he's got a fairly inventive moveset.

Well, as you said, it'd be better if there IS a different moveset and something that makes this characters to really have their place in Brawl, and we mustn't forget that every character in Brawl has his own story in subspace emissary so maybe each newcomer or veteran will have his role in this adventure mode, and having clones well maybe there won't be any relevancy with them in the story

and GnW personally I don't like that character u___u I don't like the case that he can't even talk and the case that he is 2-D =( xD lol well, actually I was thinking of what you just wrote and Mr GnW can't be out of the game cause it's an old school original character

many people will miss him

Firestorm

Aras said:

-Pichu
-Mr Game n Watch
-Young Link
-Dr Mario
-Roy

die in a fire

KevinCow

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Come to think of it, outside of Gourmet Race in Kirby Super Star, has a sidescrolling racing game ever been created in the first place?
Edit: Actually, I guess that's sort of a dumb question since you might as well define it as a platformer, then. Like Sonic, for example. >_>
Iggy's Reckin' Balls on the N64.

I think I'm the only person in the world who played it, but I thought it was awesome.

Jiggy37 said:
These would be incredible. :eek: Also a Race to the Finish Creator! Might as well add to the number of genres represented.

Come to think of it, outside of Gourmet Race in Kirby Super Star, has a sidescrolling racing game ever been created in the first place? Edit: Actually, I guess that's sort of a dumb question since you might as well define it as a platformer, then. Unless there were no platforms, but then it would be a pretty boring race.
Uniracers?

Jiggy

If Jigglypuff was out, I'd have serious cause to question what they were thinking. I wish I was hardline enough to say "no Jigglypuff no buy," but actually that's not true. I'd still buy--but I'd instantly lose something like 20% of my skill since she's my main by far. >_>

I'm sure in 6-8 years I'll be worried once again whether Jigglypuff managed to make the cut for Super Smash Bros. Battlefield or whatever it'll be called.

KevinCow said:
Iggy's Reckin' Balls on the N64.

I think I'm the only person in the world who played it, but I thought it was awesome.
*looks it up on YouTube*
This marks the fifth N64 game I hope comes to VC. :eek:

Edit:
ShockingAlberto said:
Uniracers?
*does another search on YouTube*
And there's the 19th SNES game I want. (Counting only moderately likely stuff, i.e. no translated Fire Emblems or Seiken Densetsu 3.) I knew this thread would drive me into poverty sooner or later.

justchris

TreIII said:

What? Kirby and Jigglypuff aren't even remotely clones. Every single one of their A & B moves are different. The only things they have in common are general body shape, and the ability to float, and that's been the case since SSB64. That's like saying there should be no clones at all, just characters that look similar???

Aras said:

-Pichu
-Mr Game n Watch
-Young Link
-Dr Mario
-Roy

Why do you hate fun?

Jiggy37 said:
If Jigglypuff was out, I'd have serious cause to question what they were thinking. I wish I was hardline enough to say "no Jigglypuff no buy," but actually that's not true. I'd still buy--but I'd instantly lose something like 20% of my skill since she's my main by far. >_>

I'm sure in 6-8 years I'll be worried once again whether Jigglypuff managed to make the cut for Super Smash Bros. Battlefield or whatever it'll be called.

I have to say, I honestly can't see any good reason to take out an already finished, unique character, unless you're replacing them with another, virtually identical character. Like, I could almost see, at the outside, them taking out Ness because Lucas kinda has some of his moves, sorta, so could replace him, and not totally waste all that original Ness design. But Jigglypuff, why take him out, unless you're putting in someone else to take his place? Waist of already expended effort.

Jiggy

Kirby/Jigglypuff moves:

Not shared: Forward tilt, up smash, neutral air, forward air, up air, back air, neutral B, forward B, up B, down B, forward throw, up throw, back throw, down throw

Shared: Neutral A combo, up tilt, down smash

Iffy (similar in animation, not really in practice): Down tilt, forward smash, down air

I guess I kind of see how a person could make the case that they have some aspects of cloneishness, but I'd really have to disagree with it.

I have to say, I honestly can't see any good reason to take out an already finished, unique character, unless you're replacing them with another, virtually identical character.
Same here.

KevinCow said:
It's unlikely, since it was made by Acclaim.
*puts it in the "unlikely candidates" section along with Ogre Battle 64*
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom