• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware of Awesomeness Incoming: The Official Firmware 2.4 Thread (July 2nd Release)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Now that we have a date and some official details, it's time for a new thread.

Firmware comes out July 2nd

What we know is in 2.4:

In-Game XMB
  • In-Game XMB displays everything that's in the XMB, some functions (playing a video, slideshow, voice chat, etc.) require the you to exit the In Game XMB and use the regular XMB
  • Custom Soundtracks for supported games (existing software must be patched to support the feature)
  • Music player controls for Custom Soundtracks
  • Full access to the Friend List/Inbox
  • Access to the Accessory Settings
  • Ability to launch into a different game while playing a game
  • Runs as smooth as the regular XMB
  • The old PS button menu (Controller Settings, Shut Off System/Controller) can be accessed by holding the PS button for a couple of seconds instead of tapping the button.

Trophies
  • 4 Trophy types: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum
  • Bronze trophies are the easiest to get, Silver is harder to get, Gold is the hardest, Platinum is only awarded when you have obtained all the other trophies in a game
  • Each user will have a PSN "Profile" that keeps track of your trophies
  • Each trophy type has a different value that goes towards your Profile's gamer "level" (Bronze adds less points than Silver, Silver adds less points than Gold, Platinum adds a significant amount of points towards reaching the next gamer level)
  • All games will have restrictions on how many trophies they can offer (small scale games will offer less trophies than large scale games) and some games will have restrictions on what type of trophies they can offer (no Platinum Trophies in small scale games)
  • Trophies can be viewed in the XMB
  • Trophies can be locked by the developer just like Secret Achievements
  • Trophies can be compared to friends trophies via the XMB
  • Games will need to be patched to support Trophies (SSHD will have a patch hours after 2.4 is released)
  • Games will not award Trophies retroactively based on saved data
  • First party games confirmed to include Trophy support:
    * BUZZ! Quiz TV
    * LittleBigPlanet
    * MotorStorm Pacific Rift
    * NBA 09 - PS3
    * PAIN
    * PixelJunk Eden
    * Resistance 2
    * SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
    * Warhawk
Misc. Additions
  • Google Search added to XMB
  • Music player controls added to XMB
  • Date & Clock added to XMB
What we know is not in 2.4:
  • In-Game XMB Voice Chat (might be added in a future fw)
  • In-Game XMB Web Browser
  • In-Game XMB for Disc based Movies (might be added in future fw if enough people demand it) and In-Game XMB for PS1/PS2 software
  • In-Game XMB access to the Display Settings (Audio settings will work)
  • In-Game XMB PS Store
  • In-Game XMB streaming custom soundtracks
  • Universal cross game invites (might be added in future fw)
  • Retroactive Trophy support
Source

Videos
PS.Blog Walkthrough Pt. 1 In-Game XMB - YouTube Link
PS.Blog Walkthrough Pt. 2 Trophies - YouTube Link
1Up Walkthrough

Links
PSN Network Update Page (Firmware will be posted here several hours after it's available via System Update)
PS.Blog 2.40 FAQ
PS3Fanboy Everything You Need To Know About 2.4 Guide
IGN Impressions

Pics
In-Game XMB
friend-in-game_en.jpg

Trophy Collection
trophy_en.jpg

Trophy Collection List Made Up Of Fake Games
trophy001.jpg

Trophy Collection For A Game
trophy002.jpg

PSN Profile
profile_en.jpg

Trophy Collection Comparison
compare002.jpg

Music Player Control
minipanel002_en.jpg

Google Search
search_en.jpg

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Thanks Killthee. July 2nd is the day PSN comes to a screeching halt. Now i know what the maintenance was really for

Killthee

Zedsdeadbaby said:
We already have a 2.4 firmware thread right below this one :/
Kinda hard for people waking up to get all the new info when the OP is made up of nothing but awesome banners....

Doc Evils

Oh nice. I like the fact the Trophy system is done in a leveling up manner, since it makes e-peen waving much more appealing than comparing points.

oh and custom music FTW.

Killthee

atomico said:
Source before everybody starts asking.
You also will not be able to use music from your hard drive, unless the game is specifically programed to take advantage of the feature. Unfortunately, no games will be able to take advantage of in-game custom soundtracks when the firmware update goes live. (However, future games and game patches can enable this feature. It depends on whether or not the developer chooses to include it in their game.)
The 1Up Walkthrough also mentions it.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
killthee said:
Games will not award Trophies retroactively based on saved data

sorry, but could someone specify which source this is from? i have to say i'm a little surprised that this would be the case. due to the extremely LTTP position sony is in, i'd hope they would eliminate as many inconveniences as possible in trying to integrate the trophy system

Blame!

guess ive beeen living under a rock because...

- wtf no voice chat via in-game xmb?

- not all games going forward will support custom soundtracks? i understand older games not supporting custom soundtracks but why is this not a freebie standard from here on out?

- no retroactive trophies

underwhelmingtonathon for me.

better than nothing, but less than i'd hoped.

AmMortal

Banned
Wait so no in-game soundtracks on wednesday?

What were we so excited about?

Trophies ( only certain games)

Sountracks ( no games till patched)

Voicechat ( not yet)

what the hell..

so far 2.4 looks useless.

Killthee

bistromathics said:
sorry, but could someone specify which source this is from? i have to say i'm a little surprised that this would be the case. due to the extremely LTTP position sony is in, i'd hope they would eliminate as many inconveniences as possible in trying to integrate the trophy system
Developers will have to choose whether or not to include trophy support. However, if any previously released titles get patched (a la Super Stardust HD), players must essentially start anew to get any trophies. Trophies will not be retroactively awarded based on save data.
Source

Blame!

AmMortal said:
Wait so no in-game soundtracks on wednesday?

What were we so excited about?

Trophies ( only certain games)

Sountraacks ( no games till patched)

what the hell..

i blame sony and their lack of foresight.

this shit is inexcusable in this day and age

Calm down people, Developers started recieving the new SDK with 2.4 in early June, I am pretty sure some of them non lazy asses have created/completed a patch set to release with the FW update.

AmMortal

Banned
Seriously, this destroyed the hype :mad:

Edit: @ Above

First party devs and Kojipro ( did so much for us, sorry guys ) but GET THE STEPPEN! )

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Developers will have to choose whether or not to include trophy support. However, if any previously released titles get patched (a la Super Stardust HD), players must essentially start anew to get any trophies. Trophies will not be retroactively awarded based on save data.
That really sucks if true.

Jaruru

Killthee said:
Quote:
Source

oh boy... ... ...

and no in-game voice chat???... when is our firmware 2.5 coming?

Rapping Granny said:
WTF? it's a firmware update for fuck sakes, kittons won't come out of your PS3 and give you a blowjob.

I'm a bit of an achievement whore so I'm really excited about trophies. However, it's still lagging behind XBL in several key areas:

* No cross-game voice chat (seriously?!?)
* No retroactively-awarded trophies (not even for MGS4?!?)
* No online functionality (this is absolutely key and is the basis for many of the XBL community features)
* No standard custom soundtrack feature (patches, iffy past support)

Again, like I've been saying, Sony is still playing catchup, is still a ways behind, and loses a lot of the impact since they didn't have this stuff from day one, so I won't have trophies to show that I got all of the skill points in Ratchet and most of the medals in Uncharted. Plus, I don't really see anything here that goes above and beyond XBL, but maybe we'll discover more this Thursday.

On another note, does anyone find it ironic that so many people, many of whom are staunch PS3 supporters and 360 haters, are so excited about a firmware upgrade that is making the PS3 experience more and more like the 360 experience?

Jtrizzy

dammitmattt said:
On another note, does anyone find it ironic that so many people, many of whom are staunch PS3 supporters and 360 haters, are so excited about a firmware upgrade that is making the PS3 experience more and more like the 360 experience?

I think people are just excited that we won't have to quit the game to check messages and see what others are playing.

RuGalz

If trophies can be retro activated based on the current save file, everyone can just go online and download them from gamefaqs, which will defeat the purpose of the system from day one; not all the profile tie-ins to save data are there to prevent this.

No retroactive trophies is kind of lame, I may not want to go thru an older game completely again. What about people swaping saves to cheat, can they stop that.

h3ro

bistromathics said:
reposting from other thread. my alt+tab and refresh fingers are getting sore

Why are you so against my awesome thread :(

I think the Video thread should get closed now. Good job KillThee, I was just going to cut and paste the features with a whole mess load of gifs for the official 2.4 thread, but I guess the serious approach works too :p

N30RYU

bistromathics said:

You actually can download save games... so is perfectly normal that trophies aren't retroactively.

Surely they will use a new trohy data associated with the user PSN ID.

jjasper

No retroactive trophies off saves? I guess I can see why they are doing this but that stinks. Other than that I am pretty happy with the update. I guess I will need to change my homepage though since it is set to google.

Top Bottom