• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'll look real smart for starting the Far Cry 2 Official Thread of Sleeper GotY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this might be my first official thread. There's been other (minimal) discussion of this game in some piecemeal threads, but now that we're getting a taste of the sheer badassery this game will contain, I think its time for an official/hype thread.

farcry21422_2.jpg

Release Date: 10/21/08

Platforms: PC/360/PS3

IGN First Five Hours Preview:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/912/912994p1.html

"It's this bold design decision that helps to paint Far Cry 2's world as an unforgivably hostile environment. Taking the first few daunting steps into the vast world, this feeling is constantly reinforced by a number of neat touches. Guns jam in the middle of fire fights and vehicles can overheat when pushed beyond their limits. But the most terrifying aspect of Far Cry 2's initial moments is the sheer scale of what's on offer."

"..Far Cry 2 could be this year's BioShock.."

Single Player/Level Editor preview impressions:

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1651430

"Africa right away just stands out on it's own. All the little details and touches are present. Be it the wildlife, the ambient sounds or the striking vistas."

"..little touches like this continued to make me realize how much work had gone into this title from every angle."

Multiplayer Hands-On:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/farcry2/news.html?sid=6197984&part=rss&subj=6197984

"Whereas vehicles are more of a simple mode of transportation in the single-player game, they play a strategic role in multiplayer."

"A great touch is the ability to change the time of day and play under the blazing sun or the cover of darkness, which drastically changes the gameplay experience on each map. And if you don't like any of these maps, pop into the map editor and create your own. Each custom map will support all four game modes and up to 16 players."

(Amazing) Level Editor Demonstration Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38617.html

41185948407.jpg

31185948397.jpg

21185948385.jpg

Partial Weapons List:

Homeland 37
SPAS 12
USAS 12
FAL Paratrooper
G3-KA4
AK-47
AR-16
Silent MP5
Dragunov SVD
MGL-140
AS50
M1903 Sniper
Makarov
Star 45
American Eagle
MAC-10
Uzi
M-79
Flare Pistol
Silent Makarov 6P9
Dart Rifle
RPG-7 Rocket Launcher
Carl G Rocket Launcher
PKM
M-249 SAW
LPC 50 Flamethrower
Type 63 Mortar
IED's

For those of us who never took Far Cry 2 off the radar...our day soon approaches!! For those of you who aren't in the know, jump on the bandwagon now, or risk looking like a wannabe after the awards get handed out.

I'm guessing at some point we may try and negotiate a system for GAFers to track and share custom maps for online competition. Any ideas are welcome. Updates to follow as more media/impressions become available!

aeolist said:
Positive impressions for an unreleased game?

10/10 territory here, folks.

Come on now...it sounds pretty groundbreaking in the single player component. Read the second set of impressions in depth. It has a number of really unique touches to it.

I found it very easy to observe the wind direction and wind speed to plan out starting fires both for distraction and effect. Certainly the brush fires themselves (and full on forest fires) help push the enemy AI where you want as well as igniting various explosive containers (from smaller blowtorch tanks to fuel barrels and large diesel tanks) and vehicles.

Occasionally as well, you need to be aware of the local wildlife as they can sound off and garner attention you aren't expecting (often with hilarity ensuing).

If you're harmed within the first 3 squares that can removed, you can use morphine as a quick heal during battle with the left bumper. Now, if the damage you've taken is within the final two squares, you need to take serious cover as instead of using an injection, your character will perform one of approximately 80 animations to fix the injury. Some of these are rather gruesome, from taking pilers to your arm to remove a bullet, to pulling a steel pipe from your leg, to snapping a bone back in place.

Also on many missions, you can be accompanied by another of your mercenary pals....find myself taken down by a hail of bullets...I was surprised to find through blurred vision that my partner had come to my aid. In a very cinematic style, he began dragging me to cover with one arm while returning fire with his other...there are a number of random ways you can be extracted by battle by this ally...Once we had reached a safe spot behind a tree, he mended my wounds and we quickly rejoined the fight...Lastly it should be noted that you run into your friends at the various safe houses and they offer alternative ways to handle your current mission.

..the game does a great job of equipping you with a large variety of tactical options to approach situations in your own way. Many of which can change depending on random circumstance, keeping the battlefield an unknown quantity and leaving the door open to near epic sequences where you survive just by the skin of your teeth.

The game is simply full of open world "moments", such as...when I was chasing down an enemy munitions truck, only to end up running through a pack of Gazelles by accident, losing control and going over a small cliff face to not only land on a guarded safe house, but the crash setting off an ammunition crate which had bullets spraying all over the area, hitting me as I tried to get out of the jeep as well as the shocked guards jumping to action.

Etc. It sounds like it may not be quite have quite the layer of visual or gameplay polish that CoD4 has, but it is a much broader and more open-ended experience. Its like the Oblivion of jungle mercenary FPS's, if you will, and that sounds exciting to me..

acm2000

aeolist said:
See this?

This is what encourages piracy.

so download it, try it, delete it, buy it

meanwhile, i will await opinions from a couple friends who have it preordered, and review scores average from gamerankings/metacritic

Gbeav

Banned
With so many games out this fall I am going to need a demo or watch it in person before I bring out the Visa.

Kosma said:
Sleeper Goty? Seriously.

1. Nothing SLEEPER about a fucking Ubisoft game.
2. Nothing GOTY about Farcry

1. You can't seperate the terms in the phrase without changing the contextual meaning. "Sleeper GOTY" means that the game was off the radar as a potential candidate to be considered one of the top few games of the year, not that it was a game that only some people were familiar with.

2. You haven't played shit, which makes your statement about as valuable as, well, a pile of shit.

I watched a trailer for this and it was cool until the guy started digging shit out of his leg. From what I hear that's how you heal. I'm probably going to die a lot in this game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyway, for an official thread you're lacking the first review from PC Gamer UK which was a 94%.

Kosma

Banned
Ned Flanders said:
2. You haven't played shit, which makes your statement about as valuable as, well, a pile of shit.

Enjoy your Ubisoft sponsored meal while I will try to remember the last time Ubisoft delivered a GOTY game.

The game is simply full of open world "moments", such as...when I was chasing down an enemy munitions truck, only to end up running through a pack of Gazelles by accident, losing control and going over a small cliff face to not only land on a guarded safe house, but the crash setting off an ammunition crate which had bullets spraying all over the area, hitting me as I tried to get out of the jeep as well as the shocked guards jumping to action.

Shit.. Sold.

All I need to decide is.. PC or 360.. Hmm.

Dolphin

Banned
So how open is the world exactly? I was expecting an open world in Crysis, only to be greeted with a linear mission based enclosed world. Is Far Cry 2 like--Oblivion open? Just Cause open? Or just a little more open than Crysis open? Open enough to fly an airplane?

MMaRsu

Banned
Dolphin said:
So how open is the world exactly? I was expecting an open world in Crysis, only to be greeted with a linear mission based enclosed world. Is Far Cry 2 like--Oblivion open? Just Cause open? Or just a little more open than Crysis open? Open enough to fly an airplane?

Oblivion open afaik

Dabanton

The game has always been on my list as i love the open worldness in a realistic setting.

But the amount of games out that month is just silly

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
tahrikmili said:
Shit.. Sold.

All I need to decide is.. PC or 360.. Hmm.
I don't know why anyone would buy this 360 if they have a capable PC.

Kibbles

Always-honest said:
still on the radar. ..... but did you say GOTY?
All the latest previews so far
(who also played the 360 version only)
said it was Game of the Year material.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
That map editor trailer sold me on this game totally. It's weird that no real hype is surrounding this it seems.

Router said:
That map editor trailer sold me on this game totally. It's weird that no real hype is surrounding this it seems.

It has almost limitless potential. One of the first things I thought of doing when I watched that trailer was crafting remakes of maps from the GRAW series. I'm sure you could do some decent CoD4 facsimiles as well.

For those that have played the GRAW series, Imagine a GRAW deathmatch in first person, with interactive foliage, operational vehicles, and destructable environments. Too awesome.

In addition, check this out (from the second hands-on in the OP):

2_Flying_Rock_Base.JPG

Another map created during the event was meant to be a bit of an homage to Howls Moving Castle. The author linked a lot of boulders together and made it fly in the sky, complete with rocket boosters and upside down windmills on the bottom. As well as gliders for flying and a pipe linking it to the ground. Simply crazy to look at. I can see how this could catch on easily on the 360, having your friends join your map, it auto-uploads to them on the fly and you all try out each others crazy designs. Definitely another feather in this games cap.

Gbeav

Banned
Ned Flanders said:
It has almost limitless potential. One of the first things I thought of doing when I watched that trailer was crafting remakes of maps from the GRAW series. I'm sure you could do some decent CoD4 facsimiles as well.

I just read that you are allowed 5 maps max to upload so I wouldn't say limitless.

And I thought MS doesn't allow user made content?

Gbeav said:
I just read that you are allowed 5 maps max to upload so I wouldn't say limitless.

And I thought MS doesn't allow user made content?

Well I didn't mean a limitless amount of maps, but rather a limitless amount of variety as to how you can arrange a map.

Gbeav

Banned
Ned Flanders said:
Well I didn't mean a limitless amount of maps, but rather a limitless amount of variety as to how you can arrange a map.

True on that. It would be nice just to make a map and play a two player splitscreen match till you get bored of that map, then make a new one.

RJT

Ikuu said:
I don't know why anyone would buy this 360 if they have a capable PC.
I've been a PC gamer all my life, but can people stop with this bullshit already? This must be as annoying for console gamers as the "3.000$ hardware" talk is for PC gamers...

Truant

I bought a new, and rather expensive computer, and I still want to play this on console, if the pop-in isn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom