• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal |OT| The Land Before Towers

N° 2048

I put it on hold due to Stardew Valley but now I dropped that due to EA UFC 2 but now I'm dropping that due to Fallout 4 (DLC next week, getting back into it).

Then Trackmania Turbo comes out March 22...then April games AHHHHHH

I might squeeze in a few hours this weekend.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This OT is quickly becoming extinct. It seems like once The Division came out people quit talking about this game.

I enjoyed it, but after playing 10 hours or so and defeating the first enemy tribe, I felt like the game is really dragging on. I'm playing on Hard, but the game becomes stupidly easy once you get some important upgrades.

It definitely feels like they started out as a budget game, but decided to really stretch it out once they got the $60 retail box directive from above.

I'll probably go back and finish all of this Izila tribe nonsense, but I may not now that other games are coming out.

Definitely would have been a much better 5 ~ 10 hour game with more focus.

SJRB

Gold Member
This OT is quickly becoming extinct. It seems like once The Division came out people quit talking about this game.

That is exactly what happened for me.

I bought this game to keep me busy until The Division released. Primal delivered in spades and I enjoyed my time with it a great deal, the game is way better than I expected. But in the end it is no match for The Division.

leng jai

Nothing to do with The Division actually. This game just doesn't have legs - I think a whole lot of people would play for 5-10 hours and then never much touch it again. It's also not like there's any story for people to talk about.

woen

Yeah well most of the people who post here say they really enjoyed the game and it exceeded expectations (which isn't Outstanding but still worth an OWL), there isn't much to discuss for riddles, strategy or anything and it hasn't any multiplayer content. It could have been a random Ubisoft gad-thread with shitposts but since it is not a bad game these people can't come and shitpost. Or they do it in other threads (see the "omg this is the same map as FC4!!!" topic)

hunchback

I think I have been able to stay interested in this game because I skipped 3 and 4. You're definitely right that there isn't much of a story and you have to be careful and not make yourself too powerful. I'm enjoying switching between this and The Division.

Joco

I agree, I don't see this game having any longevity to it. Ubisoft seems entirely focused on the Division, which while not surprising, is kind of a shame.

blakdeth

I actually have a question about the secondary objectives, the ones indicated by an orange icon on the map. Do these objectives contribute to the completion percentage? Other than the secondary objectives that award a skill point, I would prefer to skip the ones that award materials and XP while still attempting to complete 100% of the game.

Oh, and I just tamed a bear. It was awesome.

Karak

I actually have a question about the secondary objectives, the ones indicated by an orange icon on the map. Do these objectives contribute to the completion percentage? Other than the secondary objectives that award a skill point, I would prefer to skip the ones that award materials and XP while still attempting to complete 100% of the game.

Oh, and I just tamed a bear. It was awesome.
One of the most enjoyable things to do the first time. even if its just holding a button.

7th post of this kind in 7th OT for a game. So its not just Primal. Not at all.

Nothing to do with The Division actually. This game just doesn't have legs - I think a whole lot of people would play for 5-10 hours and then never much touch it again. It's also not like there's any story for people to talk about.

That's what happened with me and this game. I enjoyed the 8 hours I played then gave it up.

I stopped playing after getting all of the achievements. I got over 30 hours out of the game and I enjoyed my time with it, but there's no incentive to replay it in my opinion.

I got to the boss fight with Ull, thought it was bullshit and never picked it up again. A total of 12 hours I think? I'm content with just being done with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it just me or do the arrows seem to correct their trajectory?

I think arrows still drop past a particular distance, but their trajectory is definitely much more lenient than in past games, presumably due to how limited your arsenal is.

Finally finished the main story, defeating both main bosses. Put close to 40 hours into this game. Really enjoyed it.

Does anyone know where
Ull's children are located after you bring them back with you? I can't find them anywhere in my village.

Also,
Does Jayma ever show up again out in the wild?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Beat this game and got 75% of the trophies without really trying. Enjoyed it way more than any previous Far Cry game. Definitely recommended!

DirtyLarry

So far the only game I regret purchasing this year is Primal.

It is odd too, as I liked what I played, but truth be told once The Division was released I have not touched it since. And it is not just The Division. The Forza Porsche expansion. The Star Wars Battlefront DLC that was just released. Multiple games have taken me away from Primal.

And I did enjoy what I played of it. I did. I just did not LOVE it. I just do not feel compelled to go back to it. Truth be told if the trade in value being offered for it was not already shite I would have traded it in. Instead I will hold on to it on the off chance I do go back to it.

But with the likes of Quantum Break, Doom, Mirror's Edge, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, and I can probably keep going, coming out over the next two months. It does not seem very likely.

I think they just released the game at a not very good time in the year.

Shame too, as it is a decent game. Just for myself not a compelling one.

shiba5

Finally finished the main story, defeating both main bosses. Put close to 40 hours into this game. Really enjoyed it.

Does anyone know where
Ull's children are located after you bring them back with you? I can't find them anywhere in my village.

Also,
Does Jayma ever show up again out in the wild?

1st: The older one runs around the village.
2nd: Never saw that person again but wasn't really looking.

TheSloth

Currently playing. Enjoyed Far Cry 4 so I got this, and I have to disagree with the negative reviews. I particularly enjoy how lush the world is with so much foliage, as well as being forced to rely on bows/spears/clubs.

I feel it's a lot harder to go stealth in this game compare to Far Cry 4, but as to it being too easy, yeah I found that in Far Cry 4 as well, and here it seems to be the beasts you get to use.

In Far Cry 4, the hello-chopper was a bit OP, being able to just drop bombs on all you foes. Then in the end you had that missile launcher that could annihalate fortresses without even trying, plus the shoot-through-walls-railgun-style sniper rifle that made the game a cinch. Here it's the owl + tamed beasts.

Still fun/satisfying enough that I'll probably end up finishing it though. Bashin' noggins and spearin' groins is just too much fun.

blakdeth

I've logged about 26 hours thus far and I am still really enjoying myself. I am playing on expert difficulty with no map. Caveat, this is my first Far Cry game, so I have nothing to compare it to.

On a side note, I have unlocked both of the missions to kill the leaders of the rival groups, yet I am only 34% finished with the game. I'm guessing the collectibles contribute greatly to this number?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do bitefish not randomly spawn in the world until after a certain mission? All bitefish locations I've come across thus far are home to nothing more than crocs.

Almost got the platinum... One trophy left. But I think I hit an experience cap, now I can't level and I need two more skills. Gahhhh! Anyone else get this?

No side-missions available that give skill points?
Yep. Had to do only the ones that gave skill points (had like 5 left) and it worked out perfectly. So it seems like they cap it when you are at a skill point level that matches the remaining quests. Weird.

But I got platinum! Woooo!

By far my favority Farcry, not sure why people are so down on it. I absolutely dislike the gun combat and driving crap.

SentryDown

Can't post the link on mobile but the new Survival mode they just announced looks absolutely awesome, I will definitely give it a try !

N° 2048

http://blog.ubi.com/survivor-mode-coming-to-far-cry-primal/

“The idea of doing this mode actually started from the team, saying they wanted to create this mode based on feedback they got from the community,” says Thomas Simon, Far Cry Primal’s game director. “The keystone of that survival mode is the change in the exploration, crafting, and difficulty of the game to make it even more realistic. After that, there are options the player can activate to go further.”

The biggest such option is the addition of permadeath. If you felt the stakes weren’t high enough before, you can now turn on full permadeath, which means your game is over the first time you die (except in vision missions, which aren’t “real”). If that seems too abrupt, there’s also a second-chance option that gives you one backup life, which is then replenished at certain completion points.

“We’ve also decided to make this combo of Survivor and permadeath available at any difficulty level,” says Simon, “so even players that don’t necessarily like to play extremely hard difficulty modes can still enjoy the change of experience in Survivor, and also try permadeath if they want to.”

Permadeath is only the beginning. Survivor mode adds a stamina gauge, making protagonist Takkar slower and weaker when it runs out, and forcing him to sleep in order to replenish it. The minimap is now turned off by default, pushing you to pay more attention to your surroundings, and the fog of war has been strengthened, lessening the amount of the map you reveal as you explore. You’ll encounter humans and animals less often as you explore, which means hunting takes a little more patience. Even fast travel is a little tougher, as it now consumes stamina and food.

Takkar himself has also been weakened in a few key ways. He can no longer rain remote-control death on foes using his owl, for example, and crafting ammo now takes a few seconds, instead of being instantaneous. He’s also now a lot more susceptible to cold, which increases his dependency on fire, and makes crafting cold-weather gear a top priority if you’re planning to venture into the chillier parts of Oros. On the upside, the duration of Takkar’s Hunter Vision has been increased – which should come in handy for surviving the longer, darker, deadlier nights that now befall the land of Oros.

Survivor mode also retools one of Far Cry Primal’s biggest cornerstones, the animals that Takkar can tame and command. “The beasts you’re going to control are going to get less powerful,” says Simon. “The most powerful beasts you control, like sabretooths and bears, will not let themselves be tamed so easily. You’re going to have to fight them up to the moment that they are at half-life, then bait them and tame them.”

The most striking and immediate change to beast mastery, however, is that animals who die are gone for good. You’ll still have a chance to save them before they die, but if your previous strategy for, say, taking down a fort was to hide while your all-but-disposable animal friends winnowed down the enemy’s numbers, you may want to come up with a new plan. That’s especially true if you’re able to bring Far Cry Primal’s legendary beasts under your control; while you can always tame another leopard or wolf, creatures like the Bloodfang Sabretooth can’t ever be brought back once lost.

So is there a benefit to all this, aside from grueling satisfaction and the pride that comes from extreme challenge? Of course, says Simon.

“We’ve created four new Ubisoft Club challenges,” says Simon, adding that new PlayStation Trophies or Xbox Live Achievements aren’t possible in a free update. “If you go for the ultimate challenge – activating Survivor mode, playing on expert difficulty and activating permadeath – you have the hardest and most insane challenge possible for the game, and there’s a special reward at the moment you complete the game. I won’t spoil it.”

Survivor mode will be available as a free patch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on April 12, and the PC patch will also add 4K textures to the game. Also, you can check out Survivor mode with an in-depth livestream on www.twitch.tv/ubisoft on March 7th at 9:30AM PDT

Have I finished the game?
Ull and Batari are dead
, but no credits have run nor any kind of final cutscene.

Do I have to do all the quest lines for every character to trigger credits and finish the game?

There's no way I'll be able to beat Ull. Not ever.

Sting bombs stuns him. So I spammed those while getting my pet to charge at him. It worked wonders.

j-wood

Is the xbox one version of this pretty good? It's on sale for 35 bucks on amazon, and you get a voucher for 30 dollar guaranteed trade in. I buy mostly everything on ps4, but that seems like a crazy deal.

Is the xbox one version of this pretty good? It's on sale for 35 bucks on amazon, and you get a voucher for 30 dollar guaranteed trade in. I buy mostly everything on ps4, but that seems like a crazy deal.

I played the Xbox One version and it was great. You'll have a good time, and that's a great deal.

Finished just now.

Really good gameplay but interest definitely started to dwindle towards the end since there was essentially no story at all.

And, in classic Ubisoft style, they oversaturated the map with meaningless optional content.

Coffinhal

The game is for the week at 49.99€ on EU PSN with some bonus. (deal of the week)

I might get it soon at this price, it won't drop below 35€ until 3 months and the survival is worth it.

Chabbles

The game is for the week at 49.99€ on EU PSN with some bonus. (deal of the week)

I might get it soon at this price, it won't drop below 35€ until 3 months and the survival is worth it.

I just checked amazon uk and its 35.50euro right now. 50e with no trade in possibility is bs.

Coffinhal

52€ on amazon fr. My PS4 don't read Blu-Ray anymore so I don't have any option anyway, and I don't trade in because I like to replay, so that's a good deal for me.

Confused.... I beat what appears to be all the mainline missions but when I go to the ingame mission checker it states 12/14.Problem is, i no longer see ANY mainline missions on my map..... did a ton of sidequests too.

what do I do? I even beat the final lazy and
burned her

Confused.... I beat what appears to be all the mainline missions but when I go to the ingame mission checker it states 12/14.Problem is, i no longer see ANY mainline missions on my map..... did a ton of sidequests too.

what do I do? I even beat the final lazy and
burned her

Have you upgraded all your village buildings? Two story missions are locked behind the upgrades.

Undead

Only got the game a couple of weeks ago and started in survival mode, I know the owl trophy is out of the question without starting a new game(which would be a quick session) but what about the learn all the skills one? did they account for learning all the skills available in survival or am I fucked on that one as well?

Meier

Just started playing the other day and put in about 5 hours over the weekend which is a lot for me. Very impressed with this -- I've played one Far Cry before but it's been many years. I'm at like 21% completion right now and was able to tame a sabertooth who is just a total badass.

CyReN

Beat the 2 bosses but you need to beat all the side missions to get the credits? Yea, think I'm done.

Great game overall.

Top Bottom