• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF Nike + Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started using it this morning. DNouncer Duane if anyone wants to add me. I used the Nike+ GPS app, but I didn't realize I hadn't actually started yet until I was almost back home.

I haven't run regularly in years, so as I try to get back into it, I'll be pretty casual. Maybe only a mile or so per day at first, although I'm going to try to shoot for every day or close to it.

Oh, and by the way, how well does this work on an elliptical? I have one in my house I like to jump on (far too) occasionally.

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!

Alright folks. I have gotten back on the horse in a serious way. Plan to run my first 5k in late September. I am absolutely reviving this thread.

Add me @ pacman326. I am going to try to get some contests running (pun intended) again soon once I figure out how the new system works. Help on that is appreciated.

If you want to be part of the GAF nike+ team, post after me and I will add you to the official list in the OP.

If you are new, hop on. Forget buying the sensor, the Nike+ GPS app is cheap.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Hasn't worked well for me recently.

Kinda related question: I lost my transmitter. I'm kinda looking in what is the cheaper option: buying a completely new kit (since I can't find any place that just sells the transmitter) or drop running with my ancient nano and start running with my iPhone and the Nike+ app. Is this comparable with the transmitter/accelometer in perfomance/accuracy? Lots of conflicting reviews out there. Also wondering if anyone is running with an iPhone in an armband and how that works.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Nobody? I tried running without a armband - pretty shitty. iPhone is definitely too big/heavy to keep in your pocket during running. Also kinda wondering what is more precise: the GPS tracking on iPhone or the calibrated Nike+ sensor/transmitter in a iPod.

big_z

Rei_Toei said:
Nobody? I tried running without a armband - pretty shitty. iPhone is definitely too big/heavy to keep in your pocket during running. Also kinda wondering what is more precise: the GPS tracking on iPhone or the calibrated Nike+ sensor/transmitter in a iPod.

yeah you need an armband for an iphone/touch. in terms of which option works best i would say GPS, nike+ shoe kit and then the accelerometer in the phone.

gps works well if your area has plenty of cell towers, if not the results can be off at points during your run. gps also drains the battery fast and you can't track runs on a treadmill.
im not sure if the current nike+gps app lets you use the shoe sensor for treadmill runs. the older version wouldnt.

the shoe kit when calibrated works quite well as you already know. you can buy just the transmitter from nike, apple, bestbuy and some other places.

the built in accelerometer isnt great. it does the same thing as the shoe sensor but because your arm doesnt move as much as your foot the results are less accurate.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
big_z said:
yeah you need an armband for an iphone/touch. in terms of which option works best i would say GPS, nike+ shoe kit and then the accelerometer in the phone.

gps works well if your area has plenty of cell towers, if not the results can be off at points during your run. gps also drains the battery fast and you can't track runs on a treadmill.
im not sure if the current nike+gps app lets you use the shoe sensor for treadmill runs. the older version wouldnt.

the shoe kit when calibrated works quite well as you already know. you can buy just the transmitter from nike, apple, bestbuy and some other places.

the built in accelerometer isnt great. it does the same thing as the shoe sensor but because your arm doesnt move as much as your foot the results are less accurate.

Thanks! GPS coverage is decent but I run in a park and apparantly the trees don't help with the signal. Can't find anything in the settings to use the shoe sensor so appears it can't be combined but I might be overlooking it. Definitely noticed gps draining the phone fast.

I think I'll look into finding just the transmitter somewhere. Apple store here was only carrying the combined packages but maybe some other places carry it. Other then price it's just more comfortable running with an old nano then a 3gs iPhone and the added accuracy is kinda nice too since I finally managed to do 5K in under 20 minutes.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Let's revive this shit. I've been using Nike+ a lot again and just recently got a Nike Fuelband too. The only way to really compete with this now, I believe, is to become friends on the actual Nike site. I'm not sure how to exactly do that, but we might also have to become facebook friends. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Edit: Actually you can just go to my account in the top right of Nikeplus.nike.com, then friends, then search to add friends.

Let's revive this shit. I've been using Nike+ a lot again and just recently got a Nike Fuelband too. The only way to really compete with this now, I believe, is to become friends on the actual Nike site. I'm not sure how to exactly do that, but we might also have to become facebook friends. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Edit: Actually you can just go to my account in the top right of Nikeplus.nike.com, then friends, then search to add friends.

I'm with you Seph. Need to get my mind off all the shit that has happened to me.

What's your account name? Mine is still pacman326

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom