• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF Nike + Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
runbanner.jpg

Restructuring over next few days. The new NIKE+ site has deleted teams and has completely changed.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RUNNING GAF CHALLENGES PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NIKE+ ID IN THIS THREAD SO I CAN ADD YOU or send a request to pacman326

The team will be hosting monthly challenges in addition to some bonus challenges. I actually would like to have potential prize drawings for 15 dollar gift cards and whatnot. So JOIN UP GAF.

Official Member List

If you want to join on, either post in the thread or PM me.

1) pacman326 - The_Inquisitor

I've did those walk to run things. I always got into pretty good shape and then stopped. I really need to commit, but treadmill running is so damn boring and I don't have access to a good track around here.

Oh and running on Alabama back roads... No thanks. If the wild dogs don't kill me, I'm sure someone in a giant pick-up would hit me eventually.

Rayo

Banned
I saw that and it looked like a fun toy but I figured I'd need new shoes before getting good use out of it.

Smitty3000 said:
Don't use it but best of luck, ran XC in high school put me in the absolute best shape of my life.

Thanks man. I even started a weights program for the first time in my life last semester in college. Unfortunantely I don't have access to them while at home for the holidays, so the first day back at school is going to be a fun workout session. :lol I have never really been really overweight growing up. I played rec soccer from the age of 5 to 18. But I finally wanted to take the next step in life with my fitness, so here I am. :)

I saw that and it looked like a fun toy but I figured I'd need new shoes before getting good use out of it.

I got my pair of Nike + shoes for 80 bucks on sale. Most I have ever spent on a pair of shoes but they have been worth it so far. However, if you don't like Nike's they sell a little pouch for the sensor that Velcros onto your shoelaces for 10 bucks.

eznark said:
I thought Nike+ only worked with Nano's or some shit?

The new Touches have the Nike + receiver built in

I've did those walk to run things. I always got into pretty good shape and then stopped. I really need to commit, but treadmill running is so damn boring and I don't have access to a good track around here.

Oh and running on Alabama back roads... No thanks. If the wild dogs don't kill me, I'm sure someone in a giant pick-up would hit me eventually.

Yea treadmill running sucks. We have some nice parks around where I live.

eznark

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
The new Touches have the Nike + receiver built in

God damn it, I was hoping to use it with my iphone. My girlfriend really digs it and it seems pretty cool. Definitely beats the crappy programs I've downloaded from the ap store.

eznark said:
God damn it, I was hoping to use it with my iphone. My girlfriend really digs it and it seems pretty cool. Definitely beats the crappy programs I've downloaded from the ap store.

You can buy a receiver that hooks to the bottom of the old style Nano and Touch iPods. Comes in a kit with the sensor for 30 dollars. Let me check if it works with the iPhone.

Edit: No go. Well that sucks dude. Might be Apple doesn't want the stress on their phone, but there seem to be a lot of rumours that it is coming.

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys. I got an iPod Touch for Christmas, and decided to start a running regiment supplemented with the Nike + system. I never had really done "running" before other than when I played recreational soccer, so I selected the "walk to run program". Holy crap am I out of shape. :lol :lol

Anyways, after two work-outs I am enjoying the system. I even created my own little avatar on the site. :lol Anyone here in the OT use this system. I am looking for some fellow runners to set some goals with, have fun, and get fit at the same time.

I use it and really enjoy it, although I haven't done much running this month.

I'm not sure how to set group goals and stuff, but this is me http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=runners,runs,2094492440,runID,406184475

eznark said:

Yeah, I was hoping for it to get hooked up with the iPhone too. But I'm pretty sure that since it's in the new Touch, the next gen iPhone will have it too.

For the mean time, I'm using my old iPod nano. RunKeeper is the best option for iPhone via AppStore, but as you mentioned it doesn't come close to the Nike+ Experience.

Rayo

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
I got my pair of Nike + shoes for 80 bucks on sale. Most I have ever spent on a pair of shoes but they have been worth it so far. However, if you don't like Nike's they sell a little pouch for the sensor that Velcros onto your shoelaces for 10 bucks.
Neato! Maybe come spring I'll look into these again.

giga

Next iPhones should have it. If not, I will cry bloody murder since the Nike+ system is so awesome.

saran81kid91 said:
I use it and really enjoy it, although I haven't done much running this month.

I'm not sure how to set group goals and stuff, but this is me http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=runners,runs,2094492440,runID,406184475

Yeah, I was hoping for it to get hooked up with the iPhone too. But I'm pretty sure that since it's in the new Touch, the next gen iPhone will have it too.

For the mean time, I'm using my old iPod nano. RunKeeper is the best option for iPhone via AppStore, but as you mentioned it doesn't come close to the Nike+ Experience.

Where do you find the link for your profile on the site? Damn, your last run was 6.83 mi. Man do I have some work to do...

We should try to set up a GAF group of some kind.

S-Wind

I ran cross country in elementary school and highschool. After highschool I discovered trail running and I've never looked back.

I recently started doing snowshoe races as well.

0 HP

i'm thinking of giving up smoking and taking up running next year. ive been mentally preparing myself for a couple of days already

The_Inquisitor said:
Where do you find the link for your profile on the site? Damn, your last run was 6.83 mi. Man do I have some work to do...

There should be a button reading "Share" and it lets you grab a link to your profiles. It's on the main page when you log in.

Blader

I run xc and track in college right now, but I'm an Asics man, so I can't really help you when it comes to Nike. sorry.

Bii

I really want to do this. I'm a bit hesitant to drop $300 on a new pair of kicks, a compatible iPod and the sensor/kit.

centracore

The_Inquisitor said:

I got Nike+ with my iPod Touch for Christmas this year, planning on starting running in January.

We definitely should set up a GAF group if possible.

mr stroke

I wish Apple would make them for all shoes :(
(I only run in Asics)

I use a Garmin Forunner my self and love it,(does the same only more detailed) and while you can run against others, I would imagine the Nike site has a ton of others using it?

Deeku

I just put the sensor in between the shoe laces of my runners, works fine. Don't really need to spend extra on shoes or a pouch really.

smoothj

I too would love to join...that bestbuy link doesn't work for me tho

I don't have the nike+ shoes yet.. do I need them to join the group??

if so I'll join in mid January... gotta wait till payday :D

ourumov

I used it a lot with my friends... Until I realized I was the only one running.

It sort of worked with my pair of NB shoes (I had to do a special arrangement to place the sensor on them).

Nevermind, after the marathon my knees are quite in bad shape... Almost one month of bike rehab.

Gibbo

Coincidentally, I'll be buying this after work today. Need to burn off some of the Xmas fat.

Just recently picked up running again... I've been doing 8km on a daily basis

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Gibbo said:
Coincidentally, I'll be buying this after work today. Need to burn off some of the Xmas fat.

Just recently picked up running again... I've been doing 8km on a daily basis

:O

damn. I was thining maybe I can use the group as motivation to start running, but thats just gonna demoralise me :D

ah screw it. my Nike+ account is kaizoku77.

Never really used it before though so I don't know how it all works.

big_z

I use this pouch on my shoes.

You can also toss it in a baggy and thread it under your laces if you cant afford a $4 pouch.

i love thats there's achievements on the nike+ site. i have the 100 and 500 mile ones. didnt know they had mii avatar things now... going to have to make one.

my weight has been stuck at a certain spot for a while thanks to shitty eating and half assed running. i was going to start up again in january so i'll join the group for that extra motivation. :)

my Nike+ account is: big_z

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
any tips for anyone who's never really run like this?

I can play football (soccer) for hours, but thats all stop start sprinting. I could literally play for 8 hours and still maintain a decent energy level throughout.

But with running, I feel like I'm about to collapse after I jog like 200m without stopping for air. I supose a slow build up is necessary?

Whats this walk to run program?

big_z

kaizoku said:
any tips for anyone who's never really run like this?

I can play football (soccer) for hours, but thats all stop start sprinting. I could literally play for 8 hours and still maintain a decent energy level throughout.

But with running, I feel like I'm about to collapse after I jog like 200m without stopping for air. I supose a slow build up is necessary?

Whats this walk to run program?

walk to run is a program on his treadmill if im not mistaken. i've never used the programs on mine. instead i set the speed manually and walk for a song then run for two or whatever.

if you're not used to running then you'll want to start slow. try doing a workout where you only walk fast. when i walk during workout i do it at a 4.3m/h pace. try something like that for an entire workout. find it easy add some running in here and there. over time you'll be able to run more than you walk. it just takes time.

also for those using a treadmill it's best to keep the incline at zero when using the nike+ kit. changes in incline can really fuck up it's readings.

Replicant

I mostly jog on a treadmill except on the weekends when the gym is closed. In that case, I do go jogging on the park. I'm a lousy jogger though. I can only do 15-20 minutes before I run out of breath and must stop. I usually don't have the motivation to go longer than 20 minutes. However, I do go jogging everyday to compensate for my short time per day.

I find that if I listen to the music, I'm able to last longer than if I don't. Because of this, I always make sure that I have my mp3 players (recently iPod Touch) with me. There's this one particular song which has a perfect beat for jogging. Anyway, what does this program do? Does it monitor your heart rate?

iamblades

rhfb said:
Odds are this doesn't work too well with biking right?

There are much better options for cycling, although they can be way more expensive on the high end.

Check out the garmin edge, it monitors heart rate, cadence and speed, as well as giving you a map of your routes.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=331

Expensive, but totally awesome.

You can get cycle computer ranging from just speed and distance (you can get these low end models for like 10 bucks at walmart), to speed distance and cadence, to heart rate monitoring, to gps tracking, and anything in between. You can even get power meters that tell you exactly how much power you are generating, though they are very expensive, and way above your needs unless you are training for racing.

I do recommend you get at least cadence and heart rate, as speed and distance don't always mean much for training purposes, being able to hold your cadence and heart rate in the range where you get the most benefit is very useful.

The GPS tracking models make it really easy to compare your rides to see where you are improving or where you need to improve, but they can be a bit of an investment. With the gps tracking you can align your rides by the map instead of by time, so you can see exactly the effect that giant hill has on your heart rate and cadence, instead of having to guess.

I run 5-6 days a week, usually try to take one rest day. I'm not a burner by any means, do about 8 1/2 minute miles, but I can go about 10 miles without too much of a problem when I have the time. Most days it's a 3-4 mile run depending on what I can work in.

I had the Nike+ system and really liked it until the battery died in my sensor. I need to replace, it and start using it again, but I've been saying that for about a year. Seems like they've added some nice new features to the website since I last used it. If I can grab a new kit, I'll join the group as well.

big_z

Replicant said:
I find that if I listen to the music, I'm able to last longer than if I don't. Because of this, I always make sure that I have my mp3 players (recently iPod Touch) with me. There's this one particular song which has a perfect beat for jogging. Anyway, what does this program do? Does it monitor your heart rate?

nike+ measures your speed, time, distance and calories per workout as well as overall totals. you can set various workouts based on how far or long time wise you want to run as well as calories burned and other special things like half marathon, 10k etc. during the workout it updates you via voice on your current status.

you can upload your shit to nikeplus.com which will chart your progress by workout, week and month so you can see where you've been slacking. you can join groups for challenges or create individual challenges and so on. best of all when you reach certain goals tiger woods and others will tell you how awesome you are. :lol

imo if you run and have a compatible ipod the nike+ kit is well worth it. makes running far less boring.

Odds are this doesn't work too well with biking right?
it only works well with running on fairly even ground.

It doesn't work at all with biking. There were some rumors that Nike was going to bring a similar system out for cycling, but so far no go. Besides, my cycling computer does most of the same stuff for me already (minus the website), and is more accurate in general.

mernst23

I'd totally want to join a GAF group but I have a 30 Gb Video. Anyone want to trade me a used 4th gen 8gb nano for it? :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm looking at the site but not really finding the helpful info, so fill me in.

Compatible, Which ipods? Like generation, I'm only seeing nano. Also, do I even need an ipod or can I just treat it like a USB and upload the data to my pc?

shintoki said:
I'm looking at the site but not really finding the helpful info, so fill me in.

Compatible, Which ipods? Like generation, I'm only seeing nano. Also, do I even need an ipod or can I just treat it like a USB and upload the data to my pc?

Either need a newer gen nano or a 2nd gen touch. Or, you can buy a non-ipod version that goes around your wrist like a watch at their site.

Also, I see that we have two new members now. :) Adding to main post. If you would like to join the team, either post your nike + name here or PM me.

Also, if anyone would like to make some banners for the thread and whatnot, I would appreciate it! :)

And just finished my run today. 1.65 mi in 17:23. Had to stop at a point or two due to some random stuff. I could be doing better, but my initial energy from not working out is quickly waning. :lol I recommend that those who have joined the team create some training program. That way we can monitor how each of us are doing.

Link to my run today: http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/?token=119183F0-ADAD-963D-18EA-2798C6CB390C&v=2

I believe the kit works with all Nanos and the new touch. I have a second gen Nano and works fine with it, and I'm fairly sure it works with the first gen one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom